Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Life and Death (old DOS game)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Wounded Ronin
So, I found a video review of the old Life and Death DOS game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ON3Q2XKbTc

I had actually tried to play it many years ago but, like the reviewer mentioned, basically couldn't figure out what to do without the manual and other materials. So, I was thankful for this review that kind of gave an overview of what you're supposed to do in that game. It legitimately looks like a challenging game that is extremely well researched, although inevitably they had to simplify many things for the game as well. In this game, you're some kind of super doctor who combines the powers of a gastroenterologist, a surgeon, and an anesthesiologist. You diagnose the patient, perform the surgery, AND manage the anesthesia at the same time as you're doing the surgery, all by yourself. (In real life, the surgeon would be doing the surgery with lots of other well qualified people helping in various ways, and there would be an anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist managing the anesthesia and keeping a close eye on the patient vitals, CO2 levels, and so on. It wouldn't be just one person doing everything. So this super polymath ubermensch aspect of the game is kind of comical.) Although things are simplified from real life, it's pretty in-depth and detailed for a video game.

The thing about it is that years ago when I first tried the game out I wasn't able to fully appreciate it. Today, I have a lot more knowledge about healthcare, basically, so I am really appreciating the amount of research that would have went into this game. I have to hand it to whomever thought it would be awesome to make the player interpret an EKG rhythm and do all the other things that the game makes you do. It shows how there was a time when many games were very educational and real labors of love. Can you imagine a mainstream game today having the potential to teach players so much background information on a real world subject?
nezumi
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Aug 3 2016, 12:50 AM) *
Can you imagine a mainstream game today having the potential to teach players so much background information on a real world subject?

*cough cough kerbal cough*

So worth playing?
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (nezumi @ Aug 3 2016, 05:45 PM) *
*cough cough kerbal cough*

So worth playing?

I think if it is possible to find the manuals and documentation you need not to get very frustrated, than yes.

I mean, it would be cheaper than going to school to learn the same. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012