Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tangled Currents - Cynthia
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Monday June 10th, 2075 - Near a Resonance Pool] #222

*Frag, I hope this blue won't appear on my Meat, talk about a freak...*

Cynthia grits her teeth, and slowly but steadily, takes her hand back. She won't let this strand get the better of her, and will stick to her plan. Not that she thought much of it before this, but if she fails to resist now, what will happen later when she has to stop at fifty-one percent? She almost certainly wouldn't be able to resist and stop, that's what.

No, no way she will let the resonance do what it wants with her. SHE is in control, SHE is the Master in this specific relationship. SHE decides how to proceed, and nothing else. And especially not some fragging pool of light.
Mercy
There is a lot to be said about convincing yourself to take a certain path....................and a lot to be said about the rather addictive quality of submerging into the resonance. Even while you are telling yourself how much YOU are in charge, when you look about, your arm is still close to the strand and your body change is at about four percent. Just think of how much you can speed this up. Imagine the time saved if you just stick the arm right into the flow of the strand? You could get to that fifty-one percent in no time. Why not just let go?
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Monday June 10th, 2075 - Near a Resonance Pool] #223

Cynthia looks at her arm, and is becoming angry now *I will not let this control me, frag it!* Digging her heels in the ground, she brings all of her formidable willpower to bear. If there is one thing she hates more than anything else it very probably is not being in control, not being the one to decide what she does or how she reacts to anything.

And she will not let this place have its way with her. *I. Will. Not.*
Mercy
You manage to move your arm away from the strand of resonance, but there was a moment when it was very hard. You think that you are at about six percent right now. Even from a few feet away, your arm jerks a slight bit towards the strand. But you easily control it..........this time. If it is hard at six percent, what will it be like at fifty-one?
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Monday June 10th, 2075 - Near a Resonance Pool] #224

Cynthia looks at her arm, a bit dejectedly. With a groan, she goes back to the tent. Once she is well rested, she will have the opportunity to think about it some more. She may have a good idea then. And by that time, maybe her body will have gotten used to it, making the process easier to resist.

Still, she waits a bit, maybe half an hour, before she really sleeps. She wants to make sure that nothing changes with her: it wouldn't do to sleep and notice when she wakes up that the resonance is taking her body over. If she doesn't notice anything, she'll lie down and finally take this nap.
Mercy
The farther you move away from the strand, the less your arm wants to go back there. There is a slight bluish tint to a section of the skin along your forearm and that part of you feels a bit different, as it it is at home in this place.

Your rest is peaceful and you wake feeling refreshed. There is another package at the side of the sleeping bag. The tag on this one reads, Well done, Cynthia. I knew you are a clever girl. Please enjoy making the breakfast I have put together for you. Nothing too hard, but it will fill you up. Se get dressed, put your apron and hat on, and get cooking. The strand will be easier now that you are stronger and ready for it. Please try to remember to stop on or near fifty-one percent. Good luck.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Monday June 10th, 2075 - Near a Resonance Pool] #225

Feeling quite good now that she's rested, Cynthia starts to happily rummage through the stuff Gene sent her. Of created here. But then suddenly, she freezes, blushing furiously. If he knows what happened... Did he see her all the time? When she was taking her bath? When she was drying, as naked as the day she was born? Or when she was relieving herself? And of course, now that she thinks about it, she has to go.

She hesitates for a bit, but with a very unhappy glance in the direction she supposes Gene is in, she will do just that. She cannot wait forever after all. She doesn't go so far as taking a new bath though, as appealing as it is. Her mood a bit soured, she reads the recipe and starts to cook her breakfast. There's something to be said for nice breakfasts though, and soon she gets back to her usual self.

Now sated, Cynthia looks at the strand. Then at the pool, which is her final goal, wondering how she will be able to prevent the pool to change her if the strands does it that much already. Something to think about, but she will do it later. For now...

Cynthia gets back near the strand. Before she starts however, she decides on a plan: she will stop at regular intervals, no matter how she feels, even if everything seems to go well. Especially if things seem to go well. Every five percent, at 11, 16, etc. she will stop and get away from the strand. Not for particularly long, maybe just to wash her face in the lake's waters. Or to snack or something. The what doesn't matter, as long as she makes thoses pauses, intended to make sure that she gets used to stop, used to resist, to be able to finally stop when she decides it's time. Maybe that way she will be able to get a bit farther than the least she has to achieve, while staying safe?
Mercy
Your first impression as you approach the strand is that you can see it. Granted, it is just like looking at a faint outline, but it is there. The second impression you get is that the draw is much less this morning than it was last night. Apparently being well rested is a good thing. If you are careful, you can regulate the flow of resonance into you and taking long rest breaks seems to help keep down the desire to just thrust your arm into the strand. You also notice that more and more of your body takes on the blue tint.

By about noon, you are just one treatment away from your goal. The demand for more is....................bearable. But only barely. You do recognize the risks of doing this too quickly and back away. There is another package of food in the tent and you can prepare yourself a nice lunch before going back to finish the task at hand.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Monday June 10th, 2075 - Near a Resonance Pool] #226

Breathing a bit heavily, Cynthia will leave the spot. And this time, not thinking about how Gene might be watching, she will bathe. Not in the hot stream however, but in the cold waters of the lake, to shock her urge to do more out of her system. Only after that will she look at the package and make her lunch, while she dries in front of the fire.

And even once she's done eating, she will force herself to ignore the strand, by doing something else, even if said something else consists in drawing random stuff on the ground. After maybe another hour, she will go to the strand, for the last stretch.
Mercy
The shock of the cold water is indeed beneficial in the way you had hoped it would be and the desire for more is dampened enough that it is just a background noise, which is probably about the best you can expect when your body is nearly half resonance. Fixing and eating lunch also helps, as does the enforced delay afterwards. When you are ready and turn back to it, the strand is a glowing stream of blue light. Walking towards it, you feel something different. Something like a small kinship with the strand. It is resonance and you are now also part resonance. The last portion of the change goes surprisingly quickly and you find that being fifty-one percent resonance is a great feeling. Your body is infused with power and knowledge and you know that the feeling would be stronger if you just went a few percent farther.

Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Monday June 10th, 2075 - Near a Resonance Pool] #227

At fifty one percent, Cynthia stops, and looks around, at the strand, the pool, the lake. Chewing on her lips, she hesitates. Gene said she could go a bit farther than that. It probably wouldn't hurt. But...would it help? There is no certainty here. Plus, she could always come back for more.

For now at least, Cynthia walks back to the tent, taking pride knowing she reached the target, and didn't gave in to the temptation. Lying down on her back near the tent, not even checking if there are any new message from Gene, she looks at the sky. Trying to make sense of all those new feelings she has, of this knowledge she acquired.

After some time, she will get up, and check for any new message from Gene, trying to ignore the pull from the strand. Guessing that the longer she stays here now, the harder it would be for her to resist, she wants to be done quickly now. Which would mean going into the pool. But maybe Gene has as last advice to give, and it would be pretty stupid of her to ignore it.
Mercy
Your thoughts are expansive. Even the sky in this place has a bluer hue than you remember from walking across the burning plain just a couple of days ago. Your mind takes off on fantasies of imagination and you can soar among the clouds, feeling closer to the pure resonance than you had ever thought possible. It is an odd feeling, as warm and reassuring as it is exciting and dangerous.

You start awake and realize that you have fallen asleep. The expected package from Gene is at your side. Unfolding the note, you see his fine script. My friend, you are about to embark on a wondrous journey of exploration. I am glad that I have been able to accompany you this far. I have never felt closer to any mortal and both fear and like the sensation. I cannot tell you how hard it is to turn my sight from you when you are unclothed, but I know you would not appreciate that invasion of your privacy. Creatures such as I are not allowed the luxury of mortal emotions, but I think there is a bit of something there. At least on my part. You have exceeded my hopes for your progress and I believe that you are ready for the last step. I would caution that perhaps you get a good rest before heading out. The meal in the package will test some of your culinary skills, but I feel that you are capable. I will not be able to contact you after you leave the area of the tent for the pool, so good luck. There will not be a breakfast package, as you do not want a full stomach when you get to the pool. Good luck and I hope that I will see you again.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Monday June 10th, 2075 - Near a Resonance Pool] #228

Lightly blushing, Cynthia considers the content of the note for a moment, unmoving for some time even once she's done reading. She looks in the direction where she thinks Gene is, opposite from the pool when following the strand. She chews on her lips for a moment. Pensive, she mutters "So, in any case, I would have to go tomorrow right?"

She frowns, looking at the pool. Then, with very decided steps, she goes back to her boat, puts her life jacket on and starts to pull the boat towards the waters. Maybe it's stupid. Maybe she is jeopardising everything she has done up to now. Even if Gene was just doing his job, he was there, and didn't hold back. She has to go see him, to thank him.
Mercy
You are refreshed from your afternoon nap and the part of you that is now resonance allows you to see and follow the strand without effort. Even your oar strokes seem stronger and the boat moves more easily back in the direction you came from. Perhaps the pool senses that you are giving up and assists you. Perhaps your determination gives you increased strength and stamina. Whatever the cause, you make much better time going away from the pool than you did going towards it. There is no moon in this place, but you do not need it as you follow the line of the resonance strand. Still, the distance is long and the going is rough on your muscles and you are nearly tired out when you reach a point from where you can see a flickering light ahead of you, much like the light put off by a camp fire. As you get closer, you see two tents silhouetted against the light and the aroma of food cooking reaches your nose.

As you pull up on the rocky shore, you see Gene standing against the light, holding two steaming mugs in his hands as he waits for you to make the short climb to the camp. He hands you a mug without saying anything and walks over to where he has two plates of food sitting on a large rock. He motions for you to take a seat and waits for you to say something.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Monday June 10th, 2075 - Resonance Realms] #229

Cynthia takes the mug, without a word. For a moment, she considers staying up, but quickly reconsiders: she's too tired for that. And she doesn't really know how to proceed from here: thanking people is not something she's really comfortable with... Especially when she thinks it's really due.
After a while, looking at Gene in a not quite angry but not really pleased either way, she says "Did you really expect me to leave just like that?" she snorts, ans sips in her mug. And then a bit more, she needed that...

Her mug more than half empty, she shows her left arm where the blue tint can be seen: "So, what do you think?"
Mercy
Gene shrugs and nods. "The color actually suits you, I think. I cannot say what I really thought. I have a very hard time figuring mortals out. My sort just do not think like your sort and that is the root of all problems between your race and mine, I suppose. It has been like that for far longer than you have been alive, and is likely to be that way long after you are dead." He points to a place a few feet away, where he has improved the campsite with one of those nifty hot water springs. "You are probably tired and sore. Food can wait if you wish to soak some of the aches away. And I was not going anywhere until you came back, so why did you? I know it is not because you have changed your mind. Or have you finally realized that your knowledge of the resonance has already increased far above what it was? That the journey here has given you what you need. Now, that realization would be about the smartest idea you might have, but do you see it that way?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Monday June 10th, 2075 - Resonance Realms] #230

Cynthia grumbles "You've forgotten what I said about death and stuff like that..." Still, she nods, and more normally answers "You're right, I'm sore, and tired, and I'd like nothing more than to go to sleep." She mutters for a second, then adds "And a bit miffed I did all that based on a misunderstanding... I thought you were leaving and that I wouldn't find you here when I came back."

She shakes her head, sighs, and finally shrugs "And you're right, my understanding of the Resonance has indeed increased quite a lot. I don't yet know the full extent of it I think, but it'll come I suppose. But... I can't say I see it that way..." she chuckles "For a multitude of reasons in fact. First, and note that, is because as most humans, I want more than what I already have. Second, because I'm curious, and want to see what it's like. And third, the most important point as far as I'm concerned... Or maybe as far as a lot of people are concerned at least... I didn't get any new information about this nefarious plot. I didn't get to peek at that window. How could I leave it at that?"

She smiles lightly "I know there are risks but... Well, just crossing the street at home could get you killed. Even if you pay attention, so..." she shrugs "Living is dangerous." she smiles ironically "And ultimately, deadly."
Mercy
Gene nods. "Yes, that was the original plan. I am not sure when it changed, but I have somehow gone off-script and am no longer sure of the outcome. Or, more particularly, my part in it. I just felt it to be important to be here when you got back. However, I have to confess that I did not expect you back quite so soon."

"As for the nefarious plot, are you certain that you are ready to learn more of it? There is no reasonable proof that such a plot exists or that you might find out anything about it in the pool. You are taking a very large risk for what might be little gain. Is such a thing worth it to you? Do not consider yourself the only creature that years for more....more power......more money.......more knowledge......more anything. And it is not strictly the province of the mortal races to feel this need for more. You may find something on the other side that wants more, and wants to keep you there. Again, I urge caution. With a thought, I can end this dream and send you back to your bed."
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Monday June 10th, 2075 - Resonance Realms] #231

Cynthia stays silent for a while, as a slow smile appears on her lips, eyes twinkling "You're right. But what's the point of living if you don't take risks? Maybe that's because our lives are short anyway that we dare. I don't know. Whatever it is, yes I want to do that. I want to help. And if I get lost in the pool..." she shrugs "I don't know enough yet to really make a difference, they'll find someone else to do what I would have done."

She stands up "I won't rush there, I will be careful. You saw how I did it with the strand no?" she cocks an eyebrow, then resumes "But I will do this. And if something wants me, then we'll see whose desires are stronger."

She smiles again, then walks to the hot spring to soak in there for a while.
Mercy
Gene watches as you step down into the pool, then turns his back. "You know, it is not really kind to do that when I am so close. It is one thing to be far away, but quite another when you are close enough to touch. I may be a different creature from you entirely, but this body comes with certain.......urges and desires, and I find it difficult not to imagine being with you in the pool. I want to respect your privacy, but you are making it hard to......to.....to do that." You can tell that his breathing has become a bit more excited. "If I were a mortal, I would be very attracted to your beauty, your bravery, your intelligence, your wit................so may other things. Perhaps being as close to a mortal as I have been to you for the past few days has given me a better perspective about how mortals can feel. I feel."
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Monday June 10th, 2075 - Resonance Realms] #232

Her cheeks burning, Cynthia disappears in the hot water. Of course, less than a minute later, she surfaces, coughing a bit. As she calms down, she mutters "Sorry, I...didn't think about that..."

Shaking her head, she adds "I never had to deal with any of this, so I'm not used to it at all. At school I was the weird gangly redhead, not someone anyone was interested in. To be fair, no one interested me either. I never really thought about relationships, nor am I really interested I guess. Maybe later, but now, I don't have that...drive...I suppose."

She shrugs "So anyway err... Sorry. I'll be more careful now, I didn't want to cause you any discomfort..."
Mercy
His back still to you, Gene nods. "No, of course. And it is not a prerequisite of your being here that you care about mortal relationships. I will tell you, just to get it out in the open, that you are far from the weird gangly redhead you think you are." You hear a noise from him, perhaps a sigh? "I think I will go lay down. I am rather glad that you came back." With that he walks slowly to his tent.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Monday June 10th, 2075 - Resonance Realms] #233

Cynthia laughs lightly "I can be a weird gangly redhead and much more besides that, I'm not limited in being just that after all. And I'm glad I came back too." She pauses, then snorts "Well, until tomorrow when I have to take back the oar that is. Then I think I'll be anything but glad, and I will probably regret doing all that..."

Cynthia stays in the spring for maybe ten minutes more, then gets out and dries herself. Once done, she will get her food, and says, not too loudly in case Gene is sleeping "Your food will get cold you know."
Mercy
"Be right there, and no, it won't." Gene emerges from his tent, saying, "Magic, remem......." He breaks off as he sees you sitting naked at the fire. Pausing for barely a second, he walks to the fire and picks up his plate of food then sits down near you. After a few bites, he looks directly at you. "Regardless of what you may think about yourself, you are a very attractive woman, Cynthia. In body as well as in mind. Once you come to realize that and accept it, you may also realize that there are people that you can get close to."
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Monday June 10th, 2075 - Resonance Realms] #234

Uncomfortable, Cynthia shrugs "Maybe." she chuckles, and maybe trying to change the subject, adds "I'm not sure woman is the correct way to call me though. I'm only seventeen you know."

For a while, she eats silently, looking at the fire. "I'll keep that in mind. But how do I know who I can and who I cannot trust? I tried once, and it didn't end well..." shoulders dropping, she seems a bit depressed, lost in memories.

[ Spoiler ]
Mercy
Gene waves his fork out into the darkness in the direction of the pool. "Being here and going after that sort of takes you out of girl and into woman. Trust is something that should be built up over time. And as for a failed relationship, only one? My guess is that you were into the wrong guy and have not looked around since. You might not be looking, but what do you see as the sort of person that you could be interested in?"

OOC: Off to work.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Monday June 10th, 2075 - Resonance Realms] #235

"Yeah just one of notice. He was a friend to whom I told I was a technomancer and he tried to sell me to MCT a few weeks after that." She scowls, then shrugs "As for who I might be interested in for that kind of relationship... I don't really know. To be honest, I don't even know if I'm into boys or girls. Maybe both?"

Thinking about that for a moment, she shakes her head lightly "I suppose I'll know when the time is right. And I have all the rime in the world so I might as well do it right after all."
Mercy
Gene nods. "Very wise, Cynthia, very wise. You should do it right and try to make a good choice, but if you give up after one or four bad experiences, you may miss out on guy number five, who might just be the right one. Be careful, but do not be afraid to take risks." He throws up his hands as he finishes. "But listen to me....the big relationship expert. I am not mortal and so have no experience in this. All I know is from watching mortals play at life for............well, for a very long time. But you will need to make your own choices in this area."

"So, do you feel like going back in the boat in the morning? If so, I would recommend a good sleep. Let me clean up here. I do think that you will find the trek back to the pool to be easier than it was the first time. I have a plan that might help and will show it to you after we wake up."
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Monday June 10th, 2075 - Resonance Realms] #236

Cynthia sighs "Maybe you're right. Ok, ok, you're probably right. I'll keep it in mind. But for now, I have other things to worry about, so it'll have to wait." She shrugs "It's not like I desperately needed to find love in the coming days after all."

After a while, she nods, quite decided "And yes, I will go back tomorrow. I don't want to leave things half done." Standing up, she goes to Gene and kisses him on the cheek, like a good friend* "Thanks.", then she disappears in her tent, where she will promptly fall asleep.

[ Spoiler ]
Mercy
You wake up in the morning to the smell of breakfast cooking. When you emerge from the tent, Gene is slipping food onto the plates from the skillet, his apron and hat looking as incongruous as ever in this outlandish place. He nods his head to where the coffee pot is sitting at the edge of the fire and you can use the mitt sitting next to the pot to pour two cups out. "How did you sleep?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Monday June 10th, 2075 - Resonance Realms] #237

Cynthia can't help to chuckle when she sees Gene's outfit. She's not surprised anymore but still... She nods "Yep, just fine. Of course, since it could be said that I'm still sleeping - or my meat is anyway - it becomes a lot harder to answer the question."

Taking the cup, she drinks slowly "You? Did you get enough rest between the cleaning and the whatever it is you wanted to prepare?"
Mercy
Gene nods as he puts some food in his mouth and chews it. He takes some of the coffee and replies, "Yes, thank you, I did. And I hope that you like the improvements I made to the boat. If not, it will probably take most of the morning to undo everything. But in the end it is your choice, so be sure that you are comfortable with it."

After eating, he indicates to leave the things for him to clean up and he takes you down to the water. The boat has changed considerably. Gone is the soft inflatable thing, replaced with a harder shell, a comfortable seat, and foot pedals. "The pedals are connected to small wheels under the boat that will move you through the water. This handle near the seat acts like a tiller so you can steer. You should still take the oar in case your legs get tired, but I think you will find that the crossing will be much easier and much quicker."
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Monday June 10th, 2075 - Resonance Realms] #238

"Oh." Cynthia looks at the weird boat for a moment, then excitedly say "Let me try, let me try. Seems fun!"

Cynthia climbs in the small boat, and makes a small loop. We she comes back on the shore, she comments "That's perfect, I'm sure it'll be awesome, thanks! I'll go grab my bag and be on my way then."

Ready, and once again in her small boat, the strand plucked to be sure not too lose her way, she smiles at Gene "Well, I'll be on my way now, see you later then."
Mercy
The boat and its mechanism take a bit of getting used to, but once mastered, you are able to cross the water much easier and faster. Gene had a good idea. Too bad he had not had this idea the first time. The water is still and calm as you pedal your way across to the other camp. It might have been easier, but it was not easy and your legs are sore. The hot spring looks very inviting, as does the food packet waiting for you.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Monday June 10th, 2075 - Near a Resonance Pool] #239

Even if it is much easier this time, Cynthia grumbles a bit. Especially when she almost falls on her butt as she gets out the boat. After a few minutes, once she has made sure the boat won't leave without her, she jumps into the spring for a quick relaxing soak. Once out and dried, she takes the package and proceeds to eat "Thanks Gene."
Mercy
OOC: The trip across was a bit easier, but it still took most of the day and your muscles are very sore. Also, remember that the pool is about 3 miles away from the tent. Are you heading off directly or waiting to rest?
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Monday June 10th, 2075 - Near a Resonance Pool] #240

Once she has eaten, Cynthia considers going to the pool right now. But it's already quite late and she's tired so the best option would be to stay here for the night, and only go to the pool in the morning. Hopefully, once she has befriended said pool, the waters will recede and she'll be able to just walk to Gene...
Of course, the problem now becomes to know what to do before the night. And the answer to that is...nothing. She should have asked Gene for a card deck or something. Not that she knows much about cards, but at least she would have had something to do...

After maybe ten minutes, bored out of her mind, she decides to sleep early. She will probably wake up before dawn, but it's better than just sitting here and doing nothing...

In the morning, fresh, bathed and fed, she walks toward the pool, not too fast and still paying attention to the strand and her surroundings. At maybe a dozen meters from the pool, she will stop to assess the situation: she doesn't want to dive stupidly in there after all, and taking a few minutes to check on things can't hurt. Once she feels ready, she squares her shoulders "Well. Here I come." and walks to the pool itself.
Mercy
There is a draw to the pool, as if it were a magnet urging you to get closer. Looking at it, the pool seems placid. There are no waves or ripples on the still surface, not even where the strands come out of the pool. And you do see other strands, several near you and others farther away. All of them are shimmering the same deep blue as the one you followed to get here. Everything you have done since you started on this trek has led you to this place at this time. A great mystery awaits you in the resonance pool.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Monday June 10th, 2075 - Near a Resonance Pool] #241

Feeling the attraction, Cynthia stops and sits down. She wants to make sure that when she goes into the pool, it will be because she wanted to, not because she was drawn in.

After maybe five minutes, at peace, she stands up again. Only now, does she enters the pool itself, to get the answer to questions she didn't even know she had.
Mercy
As you first enter the pool you immediately notice that this is not your normal pool of water. It has more substance than water, almost like a goo, but it does not even ripple as you enter, just closing around you. The feeling is odd, to say the least, and disturbs you a bit and the feeling only gets more intense as you walk into deeper water. The resonance feels warm and welcoming, and you can almost hear voices calling out to you in welcome. At the last minute, just before fully submerging, you wonder if this really is a good idea.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Monday June 10th, 2075 - Near a Resonance Pool] #242

Cynthia hesitates a bit. Somehow, she doesn't feel like this would be the best idea she ever had. However, since the pool is more viscous than water, she should float quite easily. And if she can lie on her back on top of the pool, wouldn't it be good enough?

At least, that's what she'll try. And if it doesn't work... Well, she'll always have time to change her position.
Mercy
The resonance might be viscous, but an attempt to float on it leads to a complete submersion and before you can change your position, you are part of the pool, sinking into the depths. It feels like home to you and there is a certain temptation to let the part of your body that is not resonance just go away. After all, you are already more than half resonance and it would take no time or effort at all to reach out and let the rest of you change over. Would it?

You have no problem breathing under the surface of the pool, somewhat to your surprise. Then you see a glow from below you and realize that you are sinking right to it. You could resist and try to make it back to the surface, maybe. You could allow yourself to completely be part of the resonance, for sure. Or you could continue sinking into the pool to whatever is below you.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Monday June 10th, 2075 - Near a Resonance Pool] #243

*That... didn't go as planed. Good thing I'm not drowning...* Cynthia looks around in the Resonance. She doesn't want to change. Or to change more than she already changed: sure, she might gain more regarding the Resonance. But the key word is might. Plus, who's to say what she would lose? Nothing is free.

She considers briefly just trying to go back to the surface. But that would be a failure. Yes, fear must be heard. But it doesn't have to dictate actions. At that point, her thoughts derail to other situations where she only reacted by fear alone. Maybe... Yeah, there is stuff to improve there. Though it's not the time for that.

Turning towards the glow, she lets herself sink. She doesn't want to avoid it, but she doesn't want to go to far too fast. As she sink, she pays attention to her surroundings, to the Resonance. She wants to feel the slightest changes, to be able to react accordingly.
Mercy
The resonance enfolds you, much like a comforting blanket and a warm fire on a cold Seattle winter's day. Your descent is uniform in its speed, as is the material quality of the resonance you pass through. From where you are, you can see much more than you would think you could and part of you is saying that if you just let go and become the resonance, that you could see ALL of it at one time and know all there is to know.

Before you can make that decision, though, you drop through the bottom of the pool to..................somewhere. A PLACE. You have no idea where it is you are, but you know it is alive with the resonance. You are standing on a solid surface of blue resonance. More, most of you feels completely at home. But there is a nagging part of you that is uncomfortable here. Looking about, it is like you are on a busy city street populated by sprites. You recognize them by their functions.............at least you recognize most of them. There are other sprites here whose purpose you do not know. As you stand below the pool, two sprites come up to you and give you a friendly nod as they reach a hand up into the pool above your head and get sucked up into the blue liquid. Most of the sprites you see are going about some sort of business, much like the people on your plane. Then, from amid the crowd of sprites on the street, one stands out. In form is almost resembles a young woman of perhaps twenty or so and she is waving for you to come over to her.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Monday June 10th, 2075 - Near a Resonance Pool] #244

When she notices the woman, Cynthia nods in her direction, to let her know that she saw her. But she doesn't yet move, absorbing the sight. Amazed to see the sprites like that. After maybe a minute, she walks to the other woman, rubbing her arms from time to time, trying to get rid of this weird sensation. Quite unsure of what to say, or how to say it, she settles for a simple "Hi."
Mercy
The sprite does not smile. "You are in danger. They are looking for you. Come with me if you want to live." She does not wait for you to respond but simply turns on her heel and walks away from you down the street.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Monday June 10th, 2075 - Inside the Resonance] #245

That...was not really what she was expecting. Plus, she has no way to know if she should follow this sprite or if she is instead falling into a trap. Then again, would anyone really need a trap to catch her here? Probably not. So she follows, silently. Well she would really love to ask questions but now is probably not the best of times. Especially given that it could draw attention to her.
Mercy
The woman leads you through the crowd on the street, making two turns onto successively narrower avenues. Finally, she turns in at a building that appears to be a storefront of some kind. The interior of the small shop could easily pass as some sort of voodoo-related enterprise, filled with haphazardly arranged shelves and counters holding glass and ceramic jars of what appear to be ingredients. Decks of tarot cards are stacked on a counter, along with trays containing what is advertised as mummy dust, bat eyes, and snake skins. Some shrunken heads swing from hooks mounted on the walls. The shop has a small counter where another sprite is diligently working on some sort of doll. The clerk looks up and nods as the woman with you leads you past the counter and through a beaded curtain into a hallway beyond. The sprite leading you looks over her shoulder and speaks again, this time your ear picks out the slight accent of some sort of French Creole. "Mama Lini sent me to find you. She wants to have some words with you. To warn you of your danger. Be respectful, please. She is very old." That phrase startles you more than a little bit as you have never really considered that sprites can be old. In fact, have you really put much thought into what a sprite really is?
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - Monday June 10th, 2075 - Inside the Resonance] #246

When she Emerged, just at the beginning, Cynthia thought about it. But after a while? She took things as they came, and since Sprite never answered anyway... But now? Will she have some answers? Probably not, that would probably be too much to ask... Still... old sprites... Speaking of which... Could she find Sherlock, Arsène and the others in there? Could be interesting...

Shaking herself, Cynthia focuses back on the current situation. She nods at the "young" sprite to signal she understood, and waits.
Mercy
The sprite smiles and motions for you to follow her again. The hall is short, opening into a larger room that seems to work as living room, kitchen, and dining all at the same time. Correction, the bed against one wall would indicate this is a bedroom as well. A sprite is sitting at a table as another, very young female sprite is standing on some sort of box contraption at the stove and seems to be cooking a meal of some sort. The sprite at the table appears to be a very old woman and she is looking at with a great deal of interest as you enter the room. There are two mugs of a steaming liquid on the table, one in front of the old woman and the other in front of an empty chair that she points to. "Sit, child. Thank you Simi, you have done well. Now, please see to your daughter's cooking." The sprite nods and walks off to the stove to supervise the girl and the old woman waits for you to sit down.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012