Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tangled Currents - Meira
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 1512, Pug's Seattle

Pug grins and nods, seeing the nuyen pile up in front of him. "Sure, I can get that for you. You know that ceramic stuff is way out there for cost and legality, right? Best I can promise is R1, maybe R2 stuff, and that will jack the cost through the roof, so I gotta ask if you have the ching for it."

Matt's response comes back right away. >>You will? Super. And great about the dress, but you might want to think about a swimming suit for the pool/hot tub and something more casual than a cocktail dress for the day. Say, just to let you know, the invitation is for the weekend. I just was not sure if you were interested. He has lots of spare bedrooms and can put you up in one if you like. If you do, then you will also need some clothes for Sunday. Some exercise clothes for a run around the lake in the morning and then casual stuff for the day? Let me know if you need any help with this, please. I want you to have a good time and it really is a favor for me because you would be keeping all the gold diggers off my back. In any case, I am having a car around to pick me up at nine AM on Saturday and we can go out together.<<
fibericon
Meira thinks for a moment about why she never got ceramic in the first place. It wasn't compatible with Smartgun. She shakes her head, looking at the text. She offers a half scoff, half chuckle at her phone. Somehow, she didn't think he pictured shopping the same way she did.

"Might have to make it a whole new gun... I don't think ceramic can even go on this one. You're right though, it's going to cost me. I think I'm only going to go in on the ceramic for the whip, at least for now. Might as well play to my strengths. Hmm... hey Pug, something's been bothering me for a while now. I could always pick up a bunch of armored clothing from you, but unless I get really lucky, a bikini won't help me any. Think you could get second skin for me? I know it's even harder to get than ceramic, but since I'm getting measured anyway, I figured I might as well ask."

She looks back at her phone, furrowing her brow and tapping out a reply. Her cover was becoming a serious pain, but she wasn't buying anything that wouldn't benefit her in the future. Knowing that actually pissed her off a bit more - she should have already been ready for this.

"Fancy dress, casual clothes and exercise gear for two days, bikini. Did I miss anything?"

Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 1512, Pug's Seattle

Pug shakes his head. "You got it a bit off, dollface, but it is easy to see where you are going wrong. The whip is actually going to be harder. Got two ways to do it, though. I can take the one you have and send it off to a friend of mine to mod for you, or get you a new one with the mod already there. Either way it is going to be spendy, with buying a new one putting your cost above 20K. Modding the one you got is still going to cost probably about 12K. And neither is going to happen within a week, at best, and maybe a few days longer. Because I like you, I can see what might be quicker, but it will cost more. And I will need a down payment of at least thirty percent."

"But finding you the suit?" He shrugs. "Now, that might be easier. I happen to have a line on a guy that approached me a few days ago with some "surplus" suits. Now nothing like that is ever surplus, but you gotta pretend, right? Anyway, it is possible that I can get one in and modded. You understand that these suits don't mod well, right? Not a lot of wriggle room, so to speak. And watch your weight; putting on, or taking off, more than just a few pounds removes the ability for it to look like your skin. Price is going to be about 14K, more if you need it right away. Should I make the call?"

Matt sends another text. >>Wow, really? Fantastic. I will call and make the arrangements. You have the clothes right. Thanks a lot. Not wanting to push it any, but may I take you to dinner tonight or tomorrow as a partial thank you?<<

OOC:

Remember that you are getting 1 karma and 2K nuyen for each two posts.
fibericon
Meira winces at the correction. She was sure a gunsmith could put in the work quickly, but that surety came from her former access to a proper facility for military sponsored mods.

"Damn. Alright, I'm unlikely to get ceramic now, got it. I'll give you my current whip to mod on Monday - not walking into this gala unarmed. As for the second skin, if I could get that when the dress is ready - and it's looking like I'll need them both by tomorrow - that'll be perfect. Before I forget, I got a simpler request, too. I need a few slap patches. You probably have some laying around already, right?"

Another text back to Matt goes out as she talks.

"It'll have to be tomorrow unless you like a late dinner. I have a meeting at 6 tonight."

Looking up from her phone, she plays around with the 3d display of the dresses and sighs.

"Weekend event. I can't wear one dress twice. I'm also going to need the other style, the black with green trim. Make it how I usually have my hair." She grins at him and adds, "Don't worry, I'll fix it and wash my face when I don't have to pretend to be fancy anymore."
Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 1515, Pug's Seattle

"No problem, kid. For you I will make it happen with the dresses and the suit. Sorry about the weapons. That ceramic stuff is waaaaaaay illegal and it takes special people to want to take on a project like that. I am thinking 3 PM tomorrow for the clothes. That OK with you?"

Matt's message comes back so quick you have to believe that he was waiting for your response. >>Tomorrow is fine. I can get us into Dante's if you like the club scene. If not, maybe somewhere more quiet. And I will order pizza tonight so drop by after your appointment if you want.<<
fibericon
"Works for me. I'll be back tomorrow. Thanks, Pug. Oh yeah, what's the damage?"

Heading out, she thinks about Matt's question. She could really cut loose at Dante's, but Matt didn't seem like much of the club type. She decided to put the decision on him in her next text.

"It's hard to picture you at the club, but I'm down if you are."

Next on the menu is to head back to her place, grab a quick bite, and call up Trance. She started grabbing etiquette guides off the matrix as she ate, then picked up the phone.

"What's the word, I'wath?"

"Been a while since I heard that. I should call you more often. I need to put together a team for a run. Need a decker for sure. The others, I'm more concerned that they can follow orders. Can you send some dossiers my way?"
Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 1515, Pug's Seattle

Pug shrugs and looks at his tablet. "About 700 apiece for the two casual dresses, 2600 for the Berwick evening thing, and 14K for the suit. Comes to about 18K altogether."

>>Calling my bluff, eh? OK, you got me. I am not really that much into the club scene, but I do have some free VIP passes and thought maybe you might be interested. I have never been there before but have certainly heard a lot about it. We can do it more quiet if you would rather not go there. Perhaps we go and can leave if we find it is not right for us?<<

Trance is silent for a few seconds. >>Hmmm, decker, eh. I night know one or two. What sort of skills are you looking for in the others and what is your budget. In this job, you really do get what you pay for.<<
fibericon
OOC: I meant it to be two evening gowns, being a weekend-long event. I'll just mentally adjust the total.

While considering Trance's question, Meira taps in a quick reply to Matt, "You're on."

"It's a run on Kai Xing, in the Vanguard building. You probably already know it's a Yakuza front. What do you think I need to budget for this?"
Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 1516, Pug's Seattle

Trance is silent again. >>Moving up, I see. You got your big girl panties on, I'wath? 'Cause that's what you're gonna need to try that place. Not too sure I want to piss them off.<< You can almost see him shrug over the link. >>Alright. You want to do this, you do it right, hear? If you're moving into that league, you need a good team. I got a decker can help you, but she's gonna cost you. Figure 10 up front and 20 at the end. Come on, think, what other help you want? I ain't gonna lead you by the nose but I ain't gonna give any names until you convince me that you're serious enough about this to do it right and with the right people. You want cheap and to run it with minimal manpower, go find another sucker to give you names cause I ain't gonna help a dead woman.<<
fibericon
Meira nods, offering a half scoff, half chuckle at Trance.

"Your decker's probably going to get paid more than anyone else on this run, just so you know. I'm trying to keep the total run budget, including info purchases and bribes, under 100k. I'm also going to want a mage - someone who can identify and navigate us around, or through, any magical security. You know me - ideally it never goes loud, but you don't always get what you want. Going to need muscle, but someone who can step lightly. I don't expect you to find someone as sneaky as I am, but if they can't shut their mouths, or they stomp around with loud metal cyberlegs, it's just not going to work. I'm already arranging for the building plans and security report. This isn't a rush job, so take your time and don't promise any hungry runners an immediate payout. I know we can't go top of the line with every runner - bypassing security is the main focus."
Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 1517, Pug's Seattle

Pug holds out a hand for your stick and smiles at you.

Trance responds. >>Hmmmm. I might be able to talk the decker down a tad. Mage support and a bit of muscle, eh? You only want the three? If so, let me look around and see what I can come up with.<<
fibericon
Meira hands Pug her credstick, ready to see him take a huge chunk out of it.

"Yeah, trying to keep it quiet, and the more people I have, the harder that is to do. Thanks, Trance."

Meira dedicates the remainder of her free time to going over the etiquette guides, watching the haughty elf on screen. She could feel how condescending the instructor was. It was easy to imagine the woman thinking, "You should know this, but since you don't, shut up and pay attention." Meira was getting angry at a free how-to video. That wasn't very cultured of her, and she knew it, so she kept watching anyway, attempting to emulate the body language as instructed.

But she needed time to go meet Volley too. If she was going anywhere near the barrens, she wanted her tattoos to show. The less hassle, the better. Shooting gangers didn't pay much, so getting them to leave you alone was often the better choice. A face wash later, she was on her way to Josie's.
Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 1750, Josie's Seattle

Josie's is a cinder block building in Redmond, just outside the semi-official border of the Barrens. A large neon sign on top of the building lets you know that you have come to the right place. As you stand in front of the place, you see light spilling out of an open front door and jazz music filling the air. There are four large motorcycles parked to one side of the building and three men near the door.smoking cigarettes. The music gets a bit louder as you approach the door and you see a short, fairly round man standing at a podium just inside. He looks you up and down and talks to you in English heavily accented by French. "I do not recognize you, so you must be new here." He holds up one hand and wriggles the fingers. "The rules. First, only jazz is allowed in the club. Second, any gang affiliation you have is left outside the door....no exceptions. Third, if you play an instrument, you will be allowed to join in on the stage if you like. Fourth, Weapons must be left at the door. You will get them back when you leave. Fifth, this is a place of music and enjoyment, so enjoy."

He motions to a young woman who is holding a tray. "Please give Yvette any weapons you may have. Augments and implants are allowed, but you are banned for life if you even show them to anyone. And being banned from Josie's is a punishment worse than death if you like jazz. If you do not like jazz then why are you here in the first place, eh?"
fibericon
Meira nods to the man, then takes out her pistol and places it in the tray.

"That's my baby; take good care of her. You know Volley? I'm supposed to meet him here. If he's not here yet, tell him Meira's inside when he comes by."

When she'd heard it was a "jazz" club, she didn't expect music. She steps inside, fully expecting to see that she'd been right in the first place, and the music was just a cover story.
Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 1751, Josie's Seattle

The inside is actually quite large, with a central floor containing a number of small tables, almost all of them full. A stage on the far wall is currently occupied by a three-person group consisting of a sax, bass and clarinet players. The music is soft and there are three couples doing a slow dance on the small floor. Booths line two of the remaining walls and a long bar the other. Some sort of heavenly odor comes through a door behind the bar and you see several waiters and waitresses move into and back out of the kitchen. You are not expert in gangs, but you are pretty sure that at least four are represented here among the tables and booths, yet no one seems to be actively antagonistic.

The small round man nods his head, "Oui. Yes, Monsieur Volley is here and waiting for you. Yvette will show you to his booth"

The girl with the tray hands you a claim ticket and places your gun in a locked compartment before nodding and motioning for you to follow her. As you approach Volley's booth, you see him nodding his head to the beat of the music and sipping a drink. He looks up as you stop at the booth and motions for you to have a seat as he puts some scrip on Yvette's tray. The young woman turns to you. "Would you like something to eat or drink? The menu is at the table and someone will come take your order if you push that little button there."
fibericon
Meira nods and sits, having a look at the menu.

"Classy joint. What do you have for me on Carson? Oh, and how much? You'll want me to settle up before you listen to this next job."

She presses the button and shows the wait staff the menu, pointing to something colorful. Once the server leaves, she turns back to Volley.

"Kai Xing, in the Vanguard building. I need building plans and a security report. Also, I need to know who I can bribe for easier access."
Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 1751, Josie's Seattle

Volley nods. "Not too much class, but I liker a bit of jazz and this place is quiet enough. OK, Carson. You have a gold mine, there. Not sure why you are interested in him, but, yeah, a gold mine. Super smart and apparently super nice. Works for a branch of Horizon Entertainment, developing software for trideo games. Apparently some sort of whiz kid. He practically invented Vampire Hunter and the residuals from that have pretty much set him up for life, on top of some monster salary Horizon pays him. He supervises a group of other nerds but seems to be the brains behind the group. On a personal level, he was living with some woman who apparently did not know what she had and started cheating on him. They broke up and he moved out."

"This was pretty easy to get. There are probably some more details I could squeeze out of someone, but to all appearances, he is a nice guy that just happens to be really smart and really rich. Why he is living next to you when he could be on the Lake with all the rest of the rich guys in Seattle, I don't know. Now, in my opinion, guys like this don't exist, so do you want me to keep looking for dirt? Cost to you so far is five hundred."

fibericon
Meira scrunches her brow. Volley was right - something was off. She didn't live in the worst neighborhood, but she didn't live in the best one, either. She hands over a credstick.

"Yeah, something's not right here. See what else you can come up with. This new job takes priority, though." When her drink comes around, she takes it and leans back in her seat. After her first sip, and a short pause, she adds, "I put up surveillance in his house. If he's dirty, he doesn't shit where he eats. I think one of his friends - Ralph Otter - has some criminal ties, but they're probably minor ones."
Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 1754, Josie's Seattle

Volley nods as he brings up a pad onto the table and types into it. "OK, I can keep a couple of irons on the Carson guy and I will add this Ralph Otter to the list. Now, tell me about the new job and why it is more important than this one. I am all ears as long as the nuyen keep coming. By the way, if you like anything Creole, try the blackened halibut. Very tasty if you can handle a bit of pepper and some kick from something else they use. I swear the food is genuine or else the soy machine is bleeding edge."
fibericon
The idea of genuine food caught her interest, and she immediately takes his advice, placing the order.

"You know, Volley, when you said 'jazz' club out by the Barrens, I had a way sleazier mental image. Sometimes it's nice to be wrong." She takes another sip of her drink and sets it down. "So yeah, the new job. I need building plans, a security report, and possibly the names of a few good employees to bribe for easier access. I'm planning a run on Kai Xing in the Vanguard building. Yakuza front, so I'm expecting security to not be completely legal. I'm also expecting not every employee to be aware of that, or maybe not on board with it. Maybe someone loses their keycard, maybe someone happens to be looking the other way. If it makes a difference, I'd like to make this run without firing a single shot. We're just stealing something - no point in going loud if we don't have to. Don't worry, I'm bringing muscle just in case I don't get the smooth run I want."
Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 1801, Josie's, Seattle

Volley looks up and frowns a bit when you mention Kai Xing but doesn't say anything before adding more entries on his tablet. "Plans and security report should be easy enough. I will have to work on a list of employees, though. I hope that this is not one of those "I need the information tonight" jobs?"

When the food come, just the aromas get your mouth watering and the taste is heavenly. There is a slight kick to it, but not so much that it is overpowering. And Volley is right; the food is genuine or from a very good soy machine.
fibericon
"Damn, I might just be back here of my own accord. Anyway, this is one of those jobs I want done right, not fast. You foresee any problems? I don't need you getting shot on my account, so don't bring the heat down on yourself. Just call me if it doesn't go according to plan. How much am I looking at for this work? I've got an expense account for this job, and I need to keep it updated."

After a little more attention to her food and drink, she adds, "Dunno if this makes a difference to your part, but the job is to get an urn - Lei Xian Po's ashes. Supposedly it's just sitting on a table in a conference room, but that whole statement doesn't sit right with me. Why would something worth hiring a scary ass Johnson to track down a runner just be sitting on a table out in the open?"
Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 1803, Josie's, Seattle

Volley looks up from his plate and grins. "Who knows why gangers do anything? Could be one of those "This is mine and I dare anyone to try to take it" sort of things. Maybe showing off? I will be careful and will try to get an answer to that question for you as well as the other things. Hmmmm. Not a rush job so I would feel bad about charging a premium. Two hundred a day plus expenses ought to cover it to begin with. If it gets risky and you want me to keep looking, that could jump the cost to you."
fibericon
"Yeah, fair point. I remember this one job I was asked to get back something that was stolen - some mage's focus. How the hell you get that stolen is beyond me. Guy who had it was wearing it on a rope like a necklace, so I figured I was going to tangle with a mage, right? Nope. Just jewelry."

She shakes her head and chuckles, then goes back to her food and drink. Once she's done there, it's time to head back home. After handing in her ticket and retrieving her gun, that is. Once home, she fast forwarded through the camera footage again, trying to see if there was a conversation to listen in on, then brought up the instructional vids again. She could do it - the whole social bit - but it felt like pretending.

OOC: Etiquette 3->4, Charisma 3->4. Changes marked on Obsidian Portal page.
Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 1947, Meira's House, Seattle

As you fast forward through the tapes, you see Matt playing Vampire Hunter for a bit then your series of texts. You get to see his facial expressions and it is easy to see that he is acting very surprised at first then quite excited. After the last text he just tosses the 'link to the table and sits back on the couch for a minute before taking it up again and placing a call. >>Ralph? Listen to me...............Holy crap, she said yes............uh huh, I told her it was for the weekend and she said yes...................no, Ralph, I keep telling you she isn't like that...............You are far too cynical, my friend. Anyway, I have already texted Klein and he is setting her up in her own room down the hall from mine..................uh huh.............uh huh.............Damn, Ralph, she seems the sort of girl I could spend a lot of time with............No, Ralph, get your mind out of the gutter for once....................OK, sure, you're right, I would not turn her down if she showed up here naked and wanted to play, but I am really interested in her for other things..............Yeah, she's cute, no, she is way beyond cute............uh huh, yeah...............Dream on, Ralph. You wouldn't try anything like that, would you?................What? Just to test her? Frag, Ralph, she does not need testing. I tell you, she's the real thing and I like her a lot...................Taking her to Dante's tomorrow night on those passes you got me last year. They're still good, right?......................Phew. I was wondering a bit..............No, she is not a club girl............She told me so...............uh huh, your mind is way too suspicious and way to lurid..................Yeah, yeah, maybe one of us has to have a mind like that. Anyway, she had dinner plans out tonight so I am doing pizza in and told her to come by later if she wanted to use the treadmill or something..............uh huh, you too. And, Ralph? Thanks for being a bit suspicious. I guess one of us ought to be, but damn, she was already here when I moved in so how could she be a plant?.....................no, that is just waaaaaay too suspicious. Hanging up now. Bye.<<

After the call, he walks off to his bedroom, where your camera catches him stripping (not sure how much of this you want to fast forward through this part. Not curious just a bit?) and changing into running shorts and a tee-shirts before going off to the exercise room. He works out on all of the machines in there and finishes with a run on the treadmill before stripping again to get into the hot tub. After a few minutes there the doorbell rings and he gets out, puts a robe on and goes to answer the door, taking two pizzas from the delivery guy and putting them on the table. He grabs a Dr Pepper from the fridge and sits down to eat. Between bites he picks up a 'link and places a call. >>Jimmy? Matt. How is the team doing?..............uh huh.............OK, sounds like you guys need some help on that new plot line for the upgrade. No, I am not coming in. I am still on vacation and moving in.............Sure, you can send me some of the code and I can do some work on it. Use the secure servers and send it to my hot device..............Sure, I will get on it tomorrow.............Right. Talk to you later.<<

After hanging up, he looks at the pizza then over to the front door as if waiting for something to happen. You can see him sigh then he gets up and goes back to sit on the couch and fire up the game console again.
fibericon
Meira waits until Matt's meat body goes limp, then heads out the door. It might not have been the spirit of the instruction, but her new virtual tutor did say that she should take command of any social situation. Or something like that. She tries the knob first, and if it opens, sneaks in and plops down on the sofa next to him.
Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 2004, Matt's House, Seattle

There is a slight ding as you reach for the doorknob and you hear the sound of a lock opening. Entering the house you pass through the dining/kitchen area into the living room to see Matt rousing. He looks over at you and smiles. "I was hoping that you would come by. I see that you have met Stanley, well sort of, anyway. He is still a bit rudimentary, but I will soon have him wired everywhere here. I put your picture in the system and told him to unlock the door and let you in if you come over. I guess it works." He sits up. "Say, did you eat? I have pizza in the kitchen and soda in the fridge."
fibericon
"So you upgraded your security system?"

God damn it.

"Or is that something else the old owners did and you just got around to setting it up? I'm surprised you have my face in it, though. Does it at least check to see if you're home before letting me walk in and rob you?" She chuckles and adds, "Anyway, I could eat."

Her implants actually made her need to eat significantly more than she normally would have to, but it was a good thing she'd opted for no chrome. This guy could easily include a cyberware scanner, if he hadn't already done so. Scanning for bioware was a lot harder.
Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 2004, Matt's House, Seattle

Matt nods as he stands to go with you to the kitchen. He pulls a chair out for you then walks to the fridge. "Yeah, it was something the previous owners had installed. Pretty basic stuff, but I can work with it and make it better. Dr Pepper or something else? I have Coke, and Sprite. Nothing diet, I am afraid, as I don't really like the taste."

He comes back to the table and sits down. "I woke up this morning and had this odd feeling that someone had been in the house. Really strange, you know? Could not put my finger on why, but it sort of spooked me, so I thought I would turn this Stanley thing on. Yeah, it would not normally unlock the door for you if I was not in, but that feature can be changed, too. And it has your picture because I put it there, hoping that you might come over for pizza after your meeting. I took the picture from what you put into the Vampire Hunter profile. I can remove it if it bothers you."

fibericon
Meira makes a mental note to inform Volley of the extensive modifications this house has undergone. The gym was convenient, and while it didn't really fit with the character of the previous owners, could have happened without being suspicious.

"Dr. Pepper is fine. And yeah, diet crap is bad for you. I like being alive, so I avoid it."

She thought about how to proceed with his concerns about last night. He was absolutely correct, of course, and he was perceptive in conversation, too. Trying to play it off as him being paranoid would make her look suspicious for sure.

"Maybe there's an unconfigured maid bot moving stuff around? Seems like this place has a lot of mods." She chuckles and adds, "Seriously, though - go with your instinct. If you're wrong, worst case scenario, your place is more secure. Someone might have been casing the joint. I'm curious about this place now, though. What else got changed? My place is stock for this area. How does that song go? 'They're all made out of ticky-tocky and they all look just the same'? This neighborhood is pretty bog-standard like that."
Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 2005, Matt's House, Seattle

Matt laughs softly. "You didn't know your neighbors all that well, huh? From what I can tell, the guy was one of those people that like to start projects but never really uses them afterwards. I mean the exercise room is top notch, but the equipment looks like it never got used. He had this Stanley butler think loaded for the house, but I don't think it was ever even turned on. And other stuff, like the sauna and hot tub are the same. It is just odd."

"But thanks for the advice. Ralph said the same thing. He wants to come over and get a couple of his hardware guys to do some sort of major security upgrade here. I might just let him do it. And other mods, yeah, I think so. I found a well concealed door in the bedroom earlier. It opens to a small room, almost like a man cave. A large easy chair and a huge trideo screen. Plus a small wet bar and fridge. He had a stack of porn vids on a shelf so I can guess what he planned to use the room for, but I don't think it got much actual use."

Matt shakes his head. "Anyway, how about you? How was your day? You want to go for a run on the treadmill or maybe watch something on the screen?"
fibericon
"I only knew them as the people who averted eye contact whenever we happened to see each other. We weren't exactly close. As for today, I've been in meetings since noon. Can't say I actually accomplished anything. Probably going to do the same thing tomorrow. I'm good with just watching something - I can't hang out too late tonight anyway."
Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 2005, Matt's House, Seattle

Matt stands and comes around to pull your chair out. "Sure, we can do that. What do you like to watch?" He continues to talk as the two of you move from the kitchen area into the large living room. "I have several services I subscribe to, so pick something and I am sure I can get it streamed in" You can see that there has been some serious progress made in unpacking and putting stuff away. He sits just off-center on the couch so you can choose how close you wish to sit. The trideo screen blinks on and seems to move through a few initial screens all by itself before ending on a page that lists a handful of different streaming services.

He looks over at you. "Comedy, drama...................? My God, you're gorgeous." He blushes a bit and looks away for a second before looking back. "Sorry, that last bit just sort of slipped out. Mouth engaged before the brain, you know."
fibericon
Meira slips into Sperethiel briefly, somewhat taken aback by his brazen line. "Is this guy serious?"

Switching back to English, she looks at him with a smirk. "Slow down, cowboy. Wouldn't want me thinking you're easy." She grins and sits on the sofa, carefully gauging the distance to be neither too close nor too far away. "How about a comedy?"
Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 2006, Matt's House, Seattle

Matt blushes again and seems about to say something but doesn't. He sits back and takes up the controller and flips to the comedies, letting you pick one you like. Just as the title sequence starts, he leans over just a bit and whispers in Sperethiel, "I was very serious. You are very much beyond just pretty." His eyes linger on your face for just a second then he turns his head and sits back on the sofa to watch the movie.
fibericon
This, Meira was ready for. There was something she'd cultivated in the military, born out of necessity. She was short, especially for an elf, but even shorter than your average human a lot of the time. Being a woman definitely caused some people to look down on her too. You have to meet their gaze, but there was a trick to it. It couldn't be threatening, or insubordinate, but it still had to have the fire that suggested you wouldn't be barrelled over. But this is a different situation. She had to offer more than strength.

"You're more attractive without the lines, Matt. And either way, I won't be your rebound. I respect both of us too much for that."
Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 2006, Matt's House, Seattle

Matt looks back over at you and shakes his head. "First, I was not really trying any lines, although I guess I can see where you might think so, but the comments were entirely genuine and I meant them. Second I was not really thinking of rebound as much as being ready to move on with my life. But I can respect your view of that and I apologize if I made you uncomfortable in the slightest. Please forgive me and I will try to keep my thoughts more to myself if you prefer."
fibericon
"You have no idea who you're even hitting on, which would be fine if you were trying to pick me up in a bar, but we don't have enough history for you to be this into me. So... at least get to know me, you know? Anyway, if you're trying to move on, focus on yourself first. Everyone else can wait. Or maybe they can't, but then it's not your problem. Don't screw yourself by making a hasty decision. You think I'm attractive? Fine, I'll take the compliment. But maybe I suck to be around, or I have awful taste in music, or I get stabby when I get upset. You won't know that day two."
Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 2007, Matt's House, Seattle

Matt nods. "Fair enough, I guess. You are right that we don't have much history yet but I was really just trying to give you a compliment, not hit on you. I was reserving that for a later date. And, yes, you could really suck as a person, but I rather doubt that. For that matter, I could be a stabby sort of person, although you are pretty safe to assume I am not. So, is there anything you want to know about me?"

fibericon
"Why are you even in this neighborhood? You said I'd be helping you fend off gold diggers, but they only go after guys who're loaded. If you're loaded, there are better areas."
Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 2007, Matt's House, Seattle

Matt chuckles a bit and nods. "That is a question I have been asked several times since I made the decision to move here. I will answer that question but in a somewhat roundabout manner, just so I can lay my cards out for you. First, a question for you. Do you know what entertainment residuals are?"
fibericon
"I get the basics. You sing a song, other people use the song, and you get paid for the playbacks. I'm sure there's a whole lot more to it than that, but it's not really my field. Did your grandpa do a Christmas song? I think I saw a movie like that once, but the main character was a useless lump. You actually have a job, so I'm guessing it's not that."
Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 2008, Matt's House, Seattle

You actually get a humorous snort from Matt at your comments. "Well, thank you for not putting me in the lumpy, useless group and, no, my father did not write much of anything, but otherwise, you have the basics. Let me expound on it just a bit. I write good code, very good code. I see things others don't when I look at it and can see the next steps where others see only roadblocks and lines of errors. I already had a good, solid reputation in this field when I approached my superiors at Horizon Entertainment with a new idea. Now, to be honest, the basic idea was not new, but I saw a different way to approach it. Fortunately, my boss saw talent when it looked him in the eye. Actually he saw a hefty bonus for him if it worked and little risk to him if it did not, so I got the green light."

"I am going to use round numbers in my example because that is the best way I think and it gets the point across. I think that you would agree that three hundredths of one percent is a very small number, and you would be right. That is what I talked the Horizon suits to pay me besides my already not insignificant salary. I negotiated a measly three hundredths of one percent residual of the gross income from the game. Now, Vampire Hunter is THE most popular game in the history of either the matrix or its predecessor. Twenty million subscribers pay fifteen nuyen a month to have access to the benefits of the game. There is a premium subscription level as well, but I am just going to not include that because it would hurt my brain to try to work it all in. The subscription fees in the example total a whopping three hundred million nuyen each month into the coffers of the corporation. Of that, my small cut brings me ninety thousand nuyen a month. A month, Meira. We are working right now on a major upgrade that will improve the game perhaps by a factor of ten. Early word of mouth advertising has expectations that the subscriber list could jump another five or six million people."

"I do not normally attend social events because I am concerned about people becoming my friends because of the money. I was safe when I had a girlfriend, but she was interested in letting me keep her and not put up a fuss when she wanted to play around in the beds of other men. So I hope that you can see why I said you would be protecting me. If we can pretend that you are my girlfriend, it will keep others from trying to horn in. But beyond that, I really, really like you and would love to spend a weekend with you just getting to know you better."

"OK, I am sure you have more questions after that, so ask away."
fibericon
Meira listens, nodding when appropriate, and considers her reply for a moment.

"How many layers do you want for this cover? Should I also pretend to be your bodyguard? I mean, it's not that difficult to work backwards from this to when you mentioned that you knew people who needed bodyguards. You wouldn't be the first guy to demand female security, either. I can tell the gold diggers you're taken, and wear a whole other mask for when you talk to others." She grins and adds, "Of all the racial epithets, I think I like 'beautiful liars' the best."
Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 2008, Matt's House, Seattle

Matt gets a thoughtful look on his face and nods. "Sure, OK. Well, I had not given the bodyguard thing much thought, actually. When I mentioned the work earlier, I had been thinking of two other people that are looking for someone to fill that role but it could work for me as well, I suppose. Would you consider taking a fee to act as my bodyguard this weekend? Sort of like a trial run, I guess."
fibericon
"I suppose if you're actually paying me for it, that cuts down on the amount of lies being told, which makes you - and by extension, me - look more legitimate overall. I'm going to need to make a few calls to make sure the event's security knows I'll be your security. That will allow me to be discreet about it at the event, and we'll just look like a normal couple until you need me to look like your bodyguard. Do you know who's organizing the event, or who I could call to find out?" She cracks a grin and adds, "It'll also be a good chance to find out if they have their act together. You should get a call to verify that I am, in fact, your bodyguard and not just some shmuck trying to get a weapon past security. If they don't even do that, well, I guess they got too used to their easy jobs and forgot to take them seriously."

She seems to zone out a bit, looking straight ahead, then furrows her brow and looks back at him. "Sorry, when someone asks me to do something, I take it very seriously. I know I kinda went off on a tangent there."
Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 2010, Matt's House, Seattle

Matt nods. "I do not know who is doing the security, but I suppose I can find out. The party is being arranged by my boss, Rupert Klein. It will be out at his house on the lake. Let me send a message to him to find out." He bends over to pick up a fancy looking 'link and sends a text off to someone. Finished, he puts the thing down at his side and looks at you. "I do not mind you going all serious about this. I might be worried if you did not take it seriously."

"So, what other questions do you have?"
fibericon
"Well... what is the 'goal' for this event? Are we looking at team building exercises, something to reward employees, or is your boss just the kind of guy who likes to invite everyone over for a big party? Oh, and, what's your type?" She offers a sly smirk and makes eye contact, pausing for a moment before adding, "Gotta hit all the notes. Can't have anyone thinking I'm not your type - that'll make the gold diggers just try harder."
Mercy
Thursday 13 June 2076 2011, Matt's House, Seattle

Matt looks at you and frowns a little as he shakes his head. "My type? I am not sure I have ever really given that much thought. I have never really been much into relationships before Carey. I was always too far into my work. Then she came along and I thought she was my type, but it did not work out that way. Let me think." He gets a thoughtful look on his face then nods and smiles. "OK, lets see if this works for my perfect girl. I think that my type would obviously need to like playing trideo games once in a while. She would like to exercise a bit and be ready to nag me to exercise myself when I get too lazy. She would have a nice temperament, but be willing to argue about things that are important to her. She can sit and watch trids or sometimes just talk for long periods of time. She would be fiercely independent but still need me. She would be unashamed of her body enough to walk around the house nude and have me admire it. She would make love to me on occasion. I like sex, but I also would very much like to make love, too. Oh, and she would have to have tattoos on her face that just up her beauty a ton."

He pauses and looks at you. "OK, so you can consider all of that a line if you like. I am not very good at this sort of thing, but I happen to think that you might just be my type. Of course, it would take some additional data collection for me to be sure."
fibericon
Meira rolls her eyes, but chuckles, grinning broadly.

"I seem to remember you saying you don't normally go for facial tattoos. In fact, I was planning to cover them up. Next you'll tell me I should have the green back in my hair. I'm no better, to be honest. Never really did long term anything, save for my last job. Relationships don't last around me because they don't really start around me. I guess I'm a bit consumed with work myself. How about music and entertainment?"

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012