Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Somewhat weird character concept question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GREGi
Hi everyone!
I have been playing SR for a few years now (3rd edition with some house rules, honestly our group never tried more recent versions) but lately, me and my friend have been reading through Augmentation (SR4 i think) and we encountered an (from my point of view) interesting oversight.

The new cyborg type character (the brain-in-the-jar) is said to have essence lowered due to the procedure to 0.01, but there are no other limitations in this matter. So the question itself is (and I know its weird to do something like that xD I care only for the raw mechanics, ignoring the somewhat crazy background): Did i missed something important or is there an oversight (maybe its intended?) allowing to create cyborg-technomacer (practically useless thanks to the low essence) or cyborg-mage who could "easily" keep his/her magic rating through the use of geasa?

Thanks for all the feedback .... need to sate my curiosity and GM is somewhat busy these days to solve this xD and I really wonder if I overlooked some important fact.

Nice day to you all!
GREGi
Nevermind .... of course I overlooked an important line about "no magic/resonance" in cyborgs a page or two later xD
.... sorry for the post then!
KCKitsune
QUOTE (GREGi @ Jun 11 2017, 06:03 PM) *
Nevermind .... of course I overlooked an important line about "no magic/resonance" in cyborgs a page or two later xD
.... sorry for the post then!

No problem. Most likely the developers saw that exact thing and said "Hey! Wait a minute!" and hastily wrote that rule in.
SpellBinder
Had tried looking for one of Horizon's experiments. Can't remember which book it was in, but there was fluff about one of the JackPointers encountering a strange kind of "agent" that actually threaded a complex form on him. IIRC it was a specialized jarhead technomancer, but I can't seem to find the rules on them at the moment.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Jun 12 2017, 05:50 AM) *
Had tried looking for one of Horizon's experiments. Can't remember which book it was in, but there was fluff about one of the JackPointers encountering a strange kind of "agent" that actually threaded a complex form on him. IIRC it was a specialized jarhead technomancer, but I can't seem to find the rules on them at the moment.

SpellBinder, yeah, that's one of those "The Power of Plot Compels You!" type of deals. That kind of character will forever be relegated to GM fiat.
SpellBinder
Especially, if I recall correctly, said character only lives for a few months. I wish I could recall the book and where I had read about them.
Stingray
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Jun 12 2017, 02:25 PM) *
Especially, if I recall correctly, said character only lives for a few months. I wish I could recall the book and where I had read about them.

..in Augmentation, there is lot of info in pages 143 - 164..
SpellBinder
QUOTE (Stingray @ Jun 13 2017, 04:59 AM) *
..in Augmentation, there is lot of info in pages 143 - 164..
Not what I was looking for. I'll probably just stumble onto it at some point in the future.
GREGi
Thanks everyone, interesting info ... those "good guys from Horizon" seem like the perfect type of people who would try such a thing xD, if you by any chance find it, please let us know.
By the way ... I brought it up to my GM and his reaction was hillarious ... he joked about making the cyborg enter into a pact with the Aleph Society, regain his lost magic and become a terryfing "cybermage" ... so I am curious when this monster will show up on some of our future suicidal runs xD
Our GM is relatively generous with somewhat limited plotwise rule bending, so we shall see what will come from this concept! As I always say: crazier things can happen in the shadows
GREGi
+ somewhere on the forums (dont know which one exactly xD) i ran across a reference to the technomacer/cyborg hybrid, following the clues I found it in Corporate Intrigue ... MCT was conducting experiments on technomancers, making them into cyborgs, who retained their TM abillities ... so as you said ... the power of the plot is indeed ultimate!
GREGi
and the power of progress of course ....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012