Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Umbrae Europae [IC] (part 3) - Mist of Nycthemeron
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Jack_Spade
Rex told his partner: <<I'll keep watch while you work, tell me if you find anything interesting in the telemetrie.>>
Haywire

Waywalker observed the mess that were the drones. "Who did this? A drunk ape?"
Shaking his head, he turned to the drones and started to work on them.
"Thank you pal. I'll be right here, trying to fix this hot huge pile of drek..."

[ Spoiler ]
Romain Pelisse
Waywalker hacked into the drone without any difficulties and started immediately analyzing the logs of the last actions. Gosh, the people from the university had really no idea what to use those drone. They kept sending to them a command saying something again "activate astral scanner" and the drone replied that it was not a known command...

However, and this is the worst, one of them knew what to do, because their "astral camera", sort to speak were indeed activated. Along the drone, Waywalker got access to hours of weird and confusing image. Apparently, the drones was able to make "astral capture" and they did a series of pictures, roughly one by minute, while being moved around all the site!

Opening one more file, Waywalker could not refrain to laugh out loud. The one of team member who managed to use them apparently desperately tried to make his coworker understand how they could retrieve the data, but they keep complaining that it was no use "because those damn things never worked properly anyway!".

Suddenly, running the shadows appears to Waywalker, a far less annoying job than doing fundamental research at an University....
Haywire

"It looks like a trained ape did this, only without training!"
Waywalker chose to crack the protection and get a copy of the data, hoping that his partner could make some sense of them.
Aftet that, he decided that the teacher could be helped, after all...

[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
Getting a look at the images, Rex shook his head: <<Honestly, I think it would be worthwile to send the drones out again and redo all this - but this time give them actually time to focus and get a clear picture. These photos are very blurry. But I'll do my best to interpret them.>>

[ Spoiler ]
Romain Pelisse
Rex looked into the data for a couple of hours. Studying the weird shape and trying to make sense of it was, at best, a difficult task. As he pointed numerous time, he also didn't have the acumen to do theoretical magic. Or rather in this case, astral background analysis. After a few hours, he gave up. He could feel there was, somewhere in those picture, something interesting. He just could not figure out how to extract the information.

He was also afraid that simply redeploy the drones will not do it. The picture were not blurry as he assumed at first, they were capture of the ever changing form and shape in the astral. By doing the all experience all over again, all he would get will be an other iteration of the same data set. Rex was so frustrated that even Waywalker could see it by looking at him - even at him as a dog.
Jack_Spade
<<Damn it. Those pictures are no good - or rather I'm no good with those pictures. Can you give me the location where those drones where deployed on a map? I might have to visit them myself to make heads or tails of that. There is something there, I cust can't grasp it.>>
Rex replied with considerable frustration.
Romain Pelisse
Waywalker provided the information needed by Rex in a matter of seconds. Rex added the geolocalisation data to a map of Paris to try to assess where he would need to go. After a little while he realized some strange. The deployment of the drones was a bit "off". He expected them to have been deployed right on top of Montmartre, centered on the famous little place where the wanna be painters are hanging but it seems that deployment was focused a bit more north from here. Looking again at the most confusing astral print, Rex realized that the most "confusing" pictures actually came from this northern part of the perimeter. Maybe the students who deployed the drones did find something?
Jack_Spade
Rex conveyed that information to Waywalker: <<You better report back to the professor. Maybe she can make something from those photos. In any case it wouldn't hurt if we'd take a look there.
Gah, I hate feeling clueless - especially since this doesn't bring us any closer to the book. I think we'll have to take a look there ourselves - or look for that supposed free spirit roaming around Notre Dame>>
Haywire

Waywalker replied to his partner:
"I think we should forward the information to the Professor and then have a look on our own, before it's full of people... What do you think?"
Jack_Spade
Rex thought for a moment: <<Yeah, using the help of an expert certainly is a good idea. Hopefully that will get her into a better mood.>>
Romain Pelisse
Waywalker packaged the data into a proper file before sharing it with the Professor Dusquenes. She replied almost immediately by text:

>>> Thanks for figuring this out. I've been quite misinformed. I've been told the drone were not functioning properly while it appears they did their work perfectly fine. I'll transmit the information to the astral explorer team. Thanks for the great work! Can you prepare the drone to be deployed again? We'll do that in a few days, when we get the proper authorization from the city of Paris.
Haywire

To the Professor:"There was a bug in their software that I fixed. I can have them ready for deploying, but I'll need some more "permission" on their use to get them to function without incidents."
To Rex: "If this goes the way we want, we can have the drones send us all the data and analyze them in our safehouse, without having to get there physically. What do you think?"
Jack_Spade
<<I'm very much in favor of that. I'm woefully behind schedule on studying the book for clues to the other book.>>
Rex replied.

Romain Pelisse
It has been already several days that the duo is waiting for Dusquenes to provide them an update. Waywalker sent her a couple of reminders, to which she replied she was waiting for the authorization of Paris to deploy again the drone. Waywalker was getting worried that Dusquenes were simply ignoring them. She did not reply to his last reminder…

Rex used the time to explore again into the book. Thanks to the notes and pointers of their employer, he was quickly able to confirm the ghoul intuition. All this book was a cipher, alluding to a mysterious ritual. Given the elements involved in the ritual, Rex agreed with Corbitt - this would definitely open a door to another plane of existence. Rex was now trying to find more information about the plane of existence. This was pretty hard because the mention of this were very much indeed inside metaphors and analogies.
Haywire

Waywalker knew they needed to rest a bit, so he was glad for the pause in their game of cat and mouse with the book.
"Did you find anything interesting? I think we should have a look for ourselves on site, the legitimate way is traking too long and I'm afraid we'll lose our advantage."
Jack_Spade
Rex showed his partner what he had found so far: <<I agree. Let's take a walk around there. I'm still wondering who I could ask for help with the cipher. Anyway, can't hurt to take a look myself at the mystic site.>>

[ Spoiler ]

Romain Pelisse
As soon as Rex's astral form reached the site, he realized they have been kept in the dark by Duquesnes. Clearly she was not caring about the drones being deployed at all and she had already instructed a few student to start looking through the "weird" area identified by the drone. Indeed, Rex could see a dozen different auras, flying all around and standing still while focusing on some shape or distortion in the astral. Frag, with that many people searching so efficiently, it was a matter of hours for them to find the portal! Unless the professor was spectacularly bad at what she was doing, she clearly saw something, like Rex did, in those astral imprints...
Jack_Spade
Back in his body, Rex replied: <<So, looks like you are not yet ready for her inner circle. Seems like they found the portal alright. So, do you think we can send in your drone again? It worked well last time with the mists. Plan B would be for me to go in.>>
Haywire

"That professor! I'll make sure she regrets it. What about sending an anonymous tip on her funders? Or hacking her commlink so she drains her bank account?"
After regaining his usual composure Waywalker sent a message to Rex: "My drone has no means to perceive the astral. I can send it in at night, but I'm not sure on what I will find..."
Jack_Spade
Rex replied: <<I meant sending it through the portal if we can find it. I think it might be time to take a look at the personal notes of the Professor. We could break into her office for anything written down, or you could hack her work account to see what and who she is working with.>>
Haywire

"Let's see what that woman keeps in her commlink..."

[ Spoiler ]
Romain Pelisse
[ Spoiler ]
Haywire
[ Spoiler ]
Romain Pelisse
Waywalker almost got defeated by the professor’s commlink. The device had a pretty biffy firewall. But in the end, he prevailed and added one of his MARK on it. Accessing the files in the commlink Waywalker realized quickly that she has not lost a minute to take advantages of their findings. The project was not making any progress for several months but the data provided by the drone’s telemetry had caused a breakthrough. A breakthrough that Dusquenes had certainly claimed the paternity of!

However, Rex’s fear was unfounded. The research group had not yet located the portal. Actually, they had confirmed it was not a fixed portal and it occurrences were bound to yet unknown factor. But the research group was making progress. One of them had identified a dragon line that the portal seems to be attached to, which reduced greatly the potential location for its opening. Dusquenes, exploiting the telemetry had concluded the portal would only open at night. The excitement in the exchange was obvious, the researchers were pretty sure they were only days away from getting access to the portal…
Jack_Spade
<<A dragon line! Now that narrows it down considerably.>> Rex told Waywalker.
<<Still, that means we aren't much closer to the solution yet withoug getting ahold of a map where the line is shown. Can you do some more matrix mojo to find such a map? With a bit of luck we can locate the portal before the professor and get our expedition out of the way before any findings are published. If we put the rumor about the books supposed location out in combination with the mention that the university might get ahold of it before the opposition does, we could narrow down when and where they make their appearance.>>
Haywire

"Ok, now would be a lovely time to have a plan. And a backup plan. And a contingency plan to the backup plan too."
After a couple of minutes Waywalker reassessed himself and sighed.
"I'll dig into the commlink of the professor. Shall we break into the place tonight? It would make us regain the upper hand. What do you think?"

[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
<<Well, I'm just a dog - I won't be sentenced for breaking an entering - so sure, let's do it.>>
Rex replied good natured.
Romain Pelisse
[ Spoiler ]

Waywalker barely managed to add his second MARK on the commlink: Duquenes device was feisty! With a broader access to the commlink, Waywalker quickly located the file he was looking for. It was actually tagged to be archived, but Dusquenes had access it recently so it was still available to the matrix. Good thing the decker thought, the last thing he wanted was to have to go into the matrix’s foundation to retrieve the file!
Haywire

"Come to me, little file..."

[ Spoiler ]
Romain Pelisse
Waywalker was right to be careful. At first, he wanted to jump directly on the file, but a careful examination of its metadata made him realize something was wrong. He soon realized that Dusquenes had somebody encrypted the file, as he would have expected, but also set a data bomb on it!

[ Spoiler ]
Haywire

"I knew it wasn't going to be that easy..."

[ Spoiler ]
Romain Pelisse
[ Spoiler ]

Waywalker was not a kiddy-script decker from around the corner. He knew his shit. It barely took him a second to get of the databomb and to decrypt the file. A weird looking of Paris, fully annotated by Dusquenes, appeared in front of him. The annotation sadly were using some weird glyphs and symbols that he had never seen before. He shared the file with Rex who then displayed it in his AR environment.
The mage immediate the thick, white and shiny line, crossing Paris from North to South, for what it was: the dragon line. However, the rest looked as cryptic to him as it was to Waywalker…

[ Spoiler ]
Haywire

"I do not understand a single thing in this map. Could you give a look a it?"
Jack_Spade
[ Spoiler ]

Rex scrunched up this doggy face, looking with absolute concentration at the AR display. He knew he should understand what he saw, but he could just not make himself connect the dots. Unless...
Romain Pelisse
Rex felt like he was back in the Shinto temple where he learned magic. And this was not a nice feeling. Everything he saw in this map was not making sense to him but it felt like it should. He could almost hear the voice of the priest who taught him magic: “Concentrate, Gaijin, concentrate… Your kind is always so easily distracted!”. But then he remembered something from when he was studying the book with Corbitt (he also realized that the ghoul was strangely enough a nicer partner to work with than this particular priest).

Around the part of the text that Corbitt suspected to be about the portal, there was some cryptic reference about “being on the foot of hills” tied to some lunar references. Then it clicked in Rex’s head. The portal is not in Montmartre, but down the hill of Montmartre, following the dragon line! Dusquesnes and her team were looking too far north! Also, if the text was right, the portal will not open before the moon is at his highest in the sky during the night…

The night will fall in a few hours. If Waywalker and Rex wanted to explore this portal, they did not have much time to prepare…
Jack_Spade
Rex blinked. Shook his head and blinked again. <<I... I just remembered something from my past. The face... the face of my teacher. Takashi. God damnit, I remember something from before...>>
In his excitement he let out a high bark before collecting himself. <<Oh and also I think I know where the portal is most likely going to appear and when. We don't have much time. We need your van and the drone - and enough cash to pay for parking at the foot of Montmatre.>>
Rex sent the coordinates he assumed would be where the gate was to be found.
<<I'll have to speak with one of the nightcourt to grant me the help of one of their servants. Midnight isn't far away, so lets better go quickly.>>
Haywire

"I was born ready! Let's go and catch the portal!"
Jack_Spade
Rex took a few moments to ready himself and called upon one of the stronger Kami from the Nightcourt:
'Takay - Son of the Blackened Knife, hear my call, I bid you come forth to my aid.'

[ Spoiler ]

Flawless, like the whisper of a single feather, the dark figure of a man appeared within the room, nodding once to Rex before vanishing again.

<<Alright, I'm ready now. Let's drive>>
Haywire

While the autonomous pilot followed Paris' traffic rules religiously, as to not attract any unwanted attention, Waywalker was busy doing some reconnaissance with Fly Spy drones and by Matrix.

[ Spoiler ]
Romain Pelisse
The van took the runner in the direct vicinity of the portal without any incidents. Walker’s mini drone confirmed to them that the drones he “fixed” for Dusquenes were still way up north. The professor and her coworker were still investigating the wrong place.

On the physical plane, the location of the portal looked pretty mundane. An old and small building that seemed to have grown against the hill of Montmartre rather designed and built. Once on site, Rex—still a bit shaken by the flashback from his past, got the intuition the portal would open on the roof of the building. He could not really explain why, but he somehow knew.

Walker’s drone reported quickly that there was nobody else monitoring the old building. As far as the runner could see, they got here before anyone else. They still had a couple of hours before midnight to get into position and prepare, as much as they could, their trip.

Rex peered one more time into the astral in the direction of the portal’s location. As expected, no trace of it. From what he gathered from the book, the portal will not manifest before midnight. However, something else happened in his mind. Another memory from the past came rushing in. He was now seeing himself in a Zen garden trying to mediate and “open his mind to the Kami” as the voice of his mentor echoed in his head.

The mage froze for a minute. Why was he suddenly retrieving his memory? Could the magic of the portal explains this? Or was it something else?
Jack_Spade
<<The weirdest thing just happened: I just remembered one of my first summoning lessons. Something in this place must have stired my subconscious. I think it will be a good idea to go to the roof and build a low force temporary lodge there. Two hours should be enough. Once done, I can try and meditate a bit. Maybe I can learn something of interest that way. So do me a favor and keep an eye on the surroundings. The Son of the Blackened Blade will keep an eye on me.>>
Calling up a veil and a levitation, Rex left the car and ascended to the rooftop. Still invisible he took the shape of an ape, so he could more easily build a lodge

[ Spoiler ]
Haywire

"Do you want help or assistance from a drone of mine? I'll run overwatch, no problems."
Jack_Spade
<<Certainly can't hurt.>> Rex replied while already drawing the necessary patterns to create the temporary lodge.
Haywire

While keeping overwatch on the Matrix and with his Fly-Spy, Waywalker sent his Rotodrone to protect Rex on the roof.
"This should do. Hope you do not mind the noise!"
Romain Pelisse
Sneaking on the roof for Rex, as always shape into a canine form, was fairly easy. It was a funny sight to see a dog levitating on top of a building but in the darkness of the evening it went unnoticed. Joined thereby Waywalker’s rotor drone, he started set up is magical lodge. The process was a dull one, but fairly straight forward, however, midway through it, Rex had to make a pause. A sudden movement in the astral had again played tricks in his mind. He got some flashes of his past—too fast and indistinct to make anything out of it, but clearly the proximity to the portal was already affecting Rex. It could feel his memories bubbling to the surface, they were so close, but still out of reach.

Hovering in his drone over the dog shaped mage, Waywalker could feel that something was wrong. He could see that Rex stopped while pushing some magical component and was no longer moving…
Jack_Spade
[ Spoiler ]

Rex kept still while these thoughts... no memories began stiring in his mind. There was a young woman... his daughter, yes, he was sure of it. And there was that large building out on the sea... an Aquacology? But just as quickly as the flashes had come, his mind closed up again and Rex was left with the memory of a memory.
Still, if it was indeed CFD that had befallen his physical body, what effect would travel to a different realm have on him? Might his soul disconnected from the flesh regain parts of himself that he thought lost?
Rex redoubled his efforts to finish the lodge, eagerly awaiting midnight to see what else he could learn.
Haywire

"Rex, are you all right? You do not seem like it..."
Romain Pelisse
[ Spoiler ]

The monkey shaped mage choose to ignore Waywalker’s inquiry and simply resume setting up the lodge. Not willing to disturb more his partner during a difficult task, Waywalker simply resume patrolling the area. The lodge was quickly finished but it was still a few minutes away from midnight.

The two runners were now waiting with anticipation. Rex was quite happy he opted to build a lodge. As midnight was getting closer and closer, he could feel the mana changing in his surroundings, but through the safety of the astral barrier set up by the lodge. The wave of astral shift around him was quite potent, he was happy not to be exposed to them directly.

Finally, midnight came, but for a few seconds it seems like nothing happened. Waywalker’s drone could not see any change in the physical plane. Rex felt a mana surge, so he knew that something did happen but he could not spot right away. After a few instants, however, the portal entrance finally becomes clear to him. It was quite difficult to see, because it looks like a black tear in the fabric of reality. At this time of the night, it was barely seeable.

Suddenly, the mage realized he was not alone on the roof. Pooping one by one was a dozen stray cats appearing around his magical lodge. All were gazing into the tear, like if they were to be considering jumping in it. Or not…

[ Spoiler ]
Jack_Spade
Rex called to Waywalker: <<The portal just opened and large host of cats has gathered to watch. I'm going to leave my body and have the Kami stand watch over it. If you can, follow me in your anthro drone into the portal. I could use the help.>>

With that Rex went astral and took a look around - first at the cats, then at the portal before he decides to move across.

[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012