Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best playthrough of Dracula In London ever
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Wounded Ronin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9doea7SAkQ

For those who are not familiar, Dracula In London is an old shareware roguelike that plays like a board game. It's based on Stoker's Dracula. All the major characters and plot elements are there, but the outcomes are kind of like a randomized pastiche of crazy possibilities that could have happened in Stoker's novel, all based on how you play the game. There are also randomized epilogues for each character based on how well or poorly the game went. I have long felt the game to be a real gem in the rough.

In this playthrough, Renfield randomly kills like half the characters, so Quincy and Mina end up assaulting Castle Dracula alone. It seems like a suicide mission but Quincy gets this ultra-unlikely one shot kill on Dracula, thus winning the game. It shows how when you don't save scrum and let the dice fall as they may, you get amazing and stories from games. It's why I'm against the idea of fudging rolls in RPGs.

EDIT: Apparently, you can try it here without needing to install DOSBox on your computer: https://classicreload.com/dracula-in-london.html
Blade
It shows how when you don't save scrum and let the dice fall as they may, you get amazing and stories from games. It's why I'm against the idea of fudging rolls in RPGs.

Completely agree.
I've had a lot of fun with Deus Ex: Invisible War once I decided to avoid save-scumming: I'd only reload when dead and play along with whatever happened. If I got caught during my infiltration, I'd just have to deal with it. This made the experience far more interesting than if I just kept reloading as soon as I got caught.

It's also why Crusader Kings 2 is better played in Iron Man mode: your ill-advised war is going badly? Live with the consequences, this will make your story far more interesting than a series of victories from someone with perfect foresight. You failed to defeat a revolt and lost your kingdom? The story is now about how your descendant will gather forces and make them pay for what they did to you.
Iduno
QUOTE (Blade @ Jul 18 2017, 05:03 AM) *
You failed to defeat a revolt and lost your kingdom? The story is now about how your descendant will gather forces and make them pay for what they did to you.

You play Crusader Kings better than me. I believe it's more often "how your descendant will kill all of your reasonable children just before you die, then flail about until someone finally euthanizes them/they die of the 3 different terrible diseases they have."

Also, I agree with not fudging dice rolls. The players in the game I'm GMing have learned that despite have 6 sides, only the ones and the sixes get used much, often to hilarious results. Or I roll the exact number of hits on defense rolls the sam rolls on his attacks, which is an entertaining level of trolling on the part of the dice.

I'll have to look into that Dracula game. Sounds like my kind of fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012