Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coordination: Striding the Soul's Edge
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
Eyeless Blond
Well, I'll start off by posting what backgrounds I have so far. First off, Phase, my char. As I said in PM, I'm pretty sure I'll have to change some of my char's background, in particular because I'm not in the same group as tisoz and TinkerGnome, so this is a bit fluid, but the major points are not:

Phase (Chris Mitts), born 2037. Raised in Chicago, evacuated along with his parents in '56 when the bug spirits took over. Note: the evacuation was done by his uncle (tisoz's character).

Chris was a thief from the time he could hold something and walk at the same time. It was almost a game ti him, finding out how to get around without being noticed, that sort of thing. It was only natural what he would focus on when he discovered his power as an adept. As he grew into his teens, his talents naturally led him into the field of breaking and entering. His parents never quite understood Chris's fasciantion with "the art of thievery." They insisted on calling it a "klepto-phase" he was going through, which he now jokingly uses as his street name.

While taking them all away to Seatle, Chris's uncle recognized Chris's skills, inviting him to help out on a few runs. And the rest, as they say, is history. One favorite tactic of Phase's is for him to slip in and plant a datatap inside a hardened facility, allowing his cousin (Tinkergnome's char) to hack in remotely.

Okay, and here is Medesha's character, Steel Lotus:

Steel was the youngest daughter of a prominent Yakuza family, who was sent to America (Seattle) to learn the ropes of running the family business. She didn't really have a head for business, but did exceptionally well as a soldier. All went well until a few months ago, when she woke up on a slab in a crummy building somewhere, feeling like sh'ed just been hit on the head with a sledgehammer. She was aware of a few Korean men watching her, but by the time she got her act together, they were gone. She got up and stumbled out, finding her bike nearby, and was shocked to find a chipjack in her head where none had been before. Her memories were very blurry, and in confusion she got on her bike and drove home.

There she found one of her friends waiting for her. He told her very gently that she'd been missing for three months, something she didn't remember at all. In that time, she'd committed a very high-profile crime, the assassination of a Mitsuhama executive, who was secretly allied with the Yakuza. Her family was...displeased, and her friend was taking his life into his hands to warn her she was being hunted. Steel didn't want to believe it, but the papers and other evidence has led her to believe the truth of her situation.

Now she's a fugitive, hiding out in the barrens and doing runs both for the thrill and for funds. She's determined to find out who did this to her and clear her good name with the family. She has no compunction about killing Yaks, as she knows they'd do the same to her, though it does break what's left of her heart a little more every time she's forced to kill a former coworker, or friend. She suspects the Seoulpa for her "brainwashing", and wants very much to hurt them.

That's about it. As I said on the thread, I like speed and danger, and I'm cybered up the wazoo.

And so I yeild the floor to the rest of the running geniuses we have here.
BishopMcQ
I'll start with my most gracious thanks to Eyeless, who has taken charge and pointed us all to one place.

Now on to the meat...

Born and raised in southern Italy, Jake (Arturo Julius Salvatore) fled the matchmaking attempts of his mother and got as far as Sicily before his parent's filed a missing person's report and authorities came to try and take him home. During the pressure of his flight from the cops, his magic came to him and sent him off into the realms of Astral space. The first being that found him, identified itself as Mars and told Jake that the war hasn't yet begun and to return home and with those words Jake woke back up in his body. Jake spent the rest of his teenage years living with his uncle in Snohomish--banished from his family for disrespect. Together the two exiles ran a small grocery store and Jake learned how to weave the strings of mana around himself to protect their corner of the world.

Jake got caught up in the glories of shadowrunning initially to make a little extra money. He started out doing simple work for street gangs, warding their safehouses and was introduced to a few minor soldiers in the syndicates who recognized the value of a free agent who didn't ask questions. Soon though, Jake realized that every job he did, got him a little deeper into the shadows and further from his uncle. When he said he wanted out, he learned exactly how deep he was.

After being dumped in front of the store with a dislocated shoulder, seven broken ribs, a fractured ankle, and a concussion, Jake couldn't hide his work from his uncle any longer. A note staple-gunned to Jake's chest, told his uncle that Jake was out of the business and that as long as he stayed out, he would be okay. Making a few calls to the Old Country, Mr. Salvatore used his last trump card to take care of his only family member.

Jake was introduced to Fixx, while he was in the hospital. Fixx told him to clean himself up because he had a new family to meet. Jake listened to Fixx talk about the Tower of Light, and something struck a chord. So Jake got dressed and went to Stefan. Stefan looked him over and suggested that Jake didn't quite meet the standards of his employer--repeating the instructions to Jake to clean himself up.

After attending enough finishing school to pass for one of the beautiful people, Jake joined Mr Carvaggio's coterie and works in the third circle as one of Carvaggio's Boys. During his time working for Mr. Carvaggio, he learned the rules of the coterie and became close friends with Fixx.

Then Iblis came on the scene. From what Jake has heard, Iblis fell into Fixx's arms--literally. After the run, Fixx and Iblis stayed in a four star hotel for a week while waiting for a fence. It was here that Jake and Iblis met. Fixx had other business to attend to during the week, so Jake was asked to keep her company in the hotel and go with her if she needed to go out anywhere. After a few attempts to get Jake out of the leather pants, Iblis gave up deciding that Jake and Fixx must have some kind of "relationship" that goes beyond their professional one.

Jake has worked with Iblis on several occasions and become accustomed to her constant banter that isn't always filtered. They have a special frequency set aside specifically for Iblis' music and stream of consciousness.

Jake is also known to go to Mama Fortuna on a regular basis for divination and magical advice. She knew him before he went to finishing school and never ceases to complain that he threw his money away on stupid products that just make him uglier.
Buddha72
Iblis

Born Erzulie Tellanti (Night One) in Cara'sir, Tir Tairngire. She was born into Irenis (non-titled) rank of Tir society. She was a indifferent student and quickly took to roaming the streets at all hours. She loved the rave scene and the party circuit. While out on the streets she ran into a "freaky" kid who seemed to have a thing for computers. They became friends of a sort. He talked to her about his connection to the matrix, how it is alive and feeling. She completely bought into the mysticism of it. She was hooked. She hang out with the kid for about week before he disappeared. She searched and searched but couldn't find him. She eventually heard he had gone to Seattle so shortly after her 10th birthday, she packed up and went to Seattle.

When she arrived in Seattle, she spent several months scrambling around trying to find Leroy (the boy she met in Cara'sir) and started hearing things about some tribe of scrawny street trash living in the Barrens. They seem to be spouting the same things Leroy did so she sought them out. She met the High Res Otaku tribe. They took her in and begin to train her.

For the first time in her life she had a goal, sonething she wanted. She poured herself into her training and helping the tribe. She begin to learn some rudimentary skills as a street thief. During this time she had a nasty run-in with the Star and since has had a bad attitude about Lone Star.

While Iblis developed some innate abilities around decking she never experienced Deep Resonance. She was crushed, the one thing she tried to succeed at and failed utterly. The tribe eventually asked her to find her own way, since they had limited resources and needed to sponsor new tribe members. She began to rebuild her life all over again. She had the skills to deck so a decker she would be but not one of those pimply, throws like a girl deckers. She would be an ACTION DECKER!!

At one point she disappeared for several months, when she returned she was filled with extra funkiness. She had SURGEd and she loved it!! She soon worked her way into the local Changling community. She hosts a local floating rave for Changlings called the Looking Glass but who bank rolls it is still unknown.

Anyone who has worked with her would know she is eccentric to the extreme. She runs around town on a tricked out Vespa (Papoose tweaked out) and can skate (old school roller skates) like a fiend. She has two sets of custom pistols, Mr. Bang-Bang and Bang-Bang Jr. She's fierce with a set of long knives and is uber athletic. She knows a fair bit about techno-gizmos. She has a habit of saying what she's thinking. Her house is a nightmare of tacky knick-knacks. Think faux fur fridge.

She has met Moe before at the various social events in the underground rave scene and has been trying to get into Jake's pants, despite his apparent loyalty to Fixx. Fixx helped her out in a tight spot and had Jake baby-sit her. With abs like that who minds? Moe is a serious party friend and gets first pick from the stash of party favors. That's her.
Medesha
Hm, well, so far it looks like Steel would have met the others on the street. A few ideas are bopping around in my head.

1. She likes guns and bikes. Anyone with similar interests could have met her at a gun and/or bike show at some point, or maybe did a little friendly racing sometime.

2. Steel was trained in etiquette, poise, charm, and (above all), style. She's garnered a modest reputation as a very stylish lady. Perhaps instead of (or in addition to) finishing school, Jake could have been pointed in her direction for tips on looking good.

3. Steel is always looking for records of her unauthorized surgeries; she might have hired Phase to break her into a corp building so she could rifle through their files.

4. Due to her impulsive nature and love of gunbattles, Steel gets shot up a lot. As a result, she's spent a lot of time with a local surgeon who caters to runners. Too restless to lie around healing, she often does small tasks for the doctor, tidying up the waiting room, taking calls when the receptionist is swamped, rolling bandages and the like. Runners who get injured might have seen her around, and those who get injured a *lot* may have met her several times.

5. Always on the run, Steel makes her home in the Barrens, and has a few boltholes there (plus a lot of knowledge). She sometimes resides in an "abandoned" apartment complex that has been returned to semi-inhabitability by a local eccentric. She could easily have met others in hiding who were forced to camp out there for a week or two, or even permanently.

6. Mildly unoriginally, but as a last resort, she knows this guy named Charlie who gives her jobs now and then, and often sets her up with other runners in the area.

Ok, I've exhausted my creativity for now. wink.gif Other hobbies/habits of Steel that may provide openings with others: she enjoys fine wine, classical music, indie movies, swordfighting, mechanics, and the colour blue. She has a curious aversion to bioware, and often states she'd "rather be RoboCop than Frankenstein" (though she has made use of bioware in the past, she just would rather not talk about it).

If none of these work, I'm more than open to other suggestions!
BishopMcQ
Medesha--tell me if this will work...

Towards the end of August 2063, Charlie calls you saying he has a job where you need to extract a Renraku sarariman and insert a bug into the system. He was contacted through an associate of his to bring some extra muscle into the team, namely you. The team consisted of a white furry decker named Iblis who was to plant the bug in the system, your getaway driver was a friend of Iblis' named Moe--a short and cute as a button dwarf, and a shaman Jake. The job went as smoothly as could be expected but there was a friendly little clash of East vs West over the values of swordsmanship. While you held that the katana is the better sword, Jake thinks that nothing quite beats the Bastard sword in combination with a riot shield. Since then, you've had a few professional engagements with each of the runners in the Seattle community--and you have sparred with Jake both verbally and with steel.

Yes folks, everyone who has run with Jake will know that he uses a sword and shield combination when in melee. It worked for 1000 years, who is he to deny history its due. wink.gif
Buddha72
Medesha - You could have gotten into gun-girl talk with Iblis. She would proudly share her favorite boy toys - Mr. Bang-Bang (custom built heavy pistol) and Bang Bang Jr. (custom built light pistol). She would go to gun shows to help her get an idea ironed out for Big Momma Bang (machine pistol). If Steel Lotus likes to party, she'd always get the call for girls night out (which for the record is any night she's not working).

Phase - You could have met Iblis early on, before she started decking. She lived doing petty B&E stuff while squatting with the High Res tribe. She would have been below your level of skill but full of spunk. Maybe ran into each other while trying to fence things.
Medesha
That works great for me! And Steel hastens to extol the merits of her famous "scissors" technique, involving two katanas and someone's head. You can't do that with a bastard sword and a shield! biggrin.gif

Steel enjoys the occasional party, and would be happy to hit the clubs with Iblis now and then. It's so hard to find a girl runner to talk shop - and boys - with. wink.gif
Buddha72
Boys should be like kleenex, hun. Strong, soft and disposable. wink.gif
Medesha
Wadsworth: How many husbands have you had?

Mrs. White: Mine, or other women's?

Wadsworth: Yours!

Mrs. White: Five.

Wadsworth: Five?

Mrs. White: Yes, just the five. *quotes the Kleenex line*

-"Clue"

And now, we return you to your regular topic.
BishopMcQ
QUOTE (Buddha72)
Boys should be like kleenex, hun. Strong, soft and disposable.  wink.gif

Damn straight except replace boys with lovers...no reason to discriminate on gender.

Medesha--the riot shield is used to bash them to their knees, then a strong arm will take their head off...only one sword required. Ahh yes, the rivalry begins. lick.gif

Blitz--I hope you don't mind me dragging your rigger butt into my connection to Medesha.

Everyone: Is Jake connected to enough people or shall we deepen our web of connections further? Shadow/Creche/Eyeless let me know if you want to pull me into a history sub-plot
Medesha
QUOTE (McQuillan)
Medesha--the riot shield is used to bash them to their knees, then a strong arm will take their head off...only one sword required. Ahh yes, the rivalry begins. lick.gif

Just like a man...going for strength over finesse. wink.gif
BishopMcQ
Crude but effective, finesse is saved for more enjoyable activities
Blitz
You can do anything you want with my butt dear. wink.gif

Ok...Lil' Moe.

Born as a dwarf to human parents in the countryside outside London, she dealt with bigotry on very close terms. She was the 4th child and, as the only one to express a metahuman gene, she was treated like the proverbial red-headed step child. School was even worse and she was always the odd one out.

When she was ten, her school class took a field trip to London to visit the museums, and she was required to bring enough money to pay for the 3 night stay and all meals. As was standard, all the children were told to choose a buddy, but nobody chose the tiny dwarven girl.

She was easily seperated from the group and felt very little interest in either finding them, or ever going back for that matter. She worked her way through the museum and out into the city proper. She used the money she was given to survive as she began to make friends with the street kids that lived in the alley ways near the tourist zones.

Her young appearance and her sharp intelligence helped her to succeed in a dreadful environment. However, if the children of her school were cruel, the kids on the streets could be downright evil. She eventually found herself ostrosized once more and nearing starvation. That was when she met her savior; Bull.

He was a 3.2 meter tall troll with a huge bull ring through his nose and bull type horns protruding out of the his bald head. Despite being a bruiser for the local underworld, he had a soft heart and took Moe in. She picked up any and every skill anyone would teach her and found she had a real knack with electronics and mechanics, especially cars.

Bull's crew was primarily into car theft along with a few other odds and ends and she was trained to join the organization. She had to be creative, however, because of her size and started out with bricks strapped to her feet until she was given a pair of 4 inch platform shoes to help her reach the controls.

Eventually, her amazing skill moved her up in the organization enough that they began to fund her surgeries. Starting with a datajack to circumvent the controls issues and eventually winding up with her VCR making her a bonafide rigger.

Things were going well, she enjoyed being a part of the underworld and her friendship with Bull was rock solid. Finally she belonged. Until a huge deal went south and it ended with the majority of her gang of sorts being killed, two suitcases with a million nuyen and a rival gang looking to make sure the entire group was out of commission.

Bull and Moe jumped outta the country and got as far away as possible, Seattle. They had enough money to settle in and gear up before Moe began to make some moves into the shadow community and Bull began bouncing for some of the more "shadow" exclusive clubs in Seattle.

Moe became very active in the club scene, and started learning how to mix music as a DJ for the rave scenes. She's a capable drone rigger and on the job she's quick and professional, but on her own time she's all about style and sounds.

She shares her home with Iblis and Olga and has a friendly relationship with Jake, though she things Ib's little obsession is just silly.
Fenris
Good work everyone.

Eyeless, Medesha, Buddha72, McQuillan, and Blitz take 3 bonus karma for backgrounds. I enjoyed reading them, even the ones I helped create wink.gif
BishopMcQ
::Bows deeply to Fenris:: Much obliged sir!

Ok, since Number 6 is going to need a few days to get back to the boards, did anyone want to start tying his character in?

Tsutu is an adept who follows the traditions of the samurai. He's a japanese immigrant

I think with that he could get tied into Medesha's life the easiest.

Eyeless--How much muscle do you usually take with you? Are you the lone ranger type that goes in and out without attracting any attention or do you use the distraction approach--shoot the guy with the gun and ignore me...Your shared natures as adepts might work to tie you and 6 together...

If no one ties Tsuru in by tomorrow morning, I'll weave something into my bkgd.
Eyeless Blond
Well the lone runner type really fit his personality, but I think I'm going to have to redo a bit of the above backstory anyway, in particular adding stuff for the missing five years between moving to Seatle and present day. If you notice, at the moment I don't really have any real tie-ins myself. I'm still working though; I'll probably have something clearer by tomorow.
BishopMcQ
For everyone not following the recruitment page--Eyeless, shadow and Creche are out. Shadow and Creche have been replaced by Joker and Panzergeist. Eyeless bowed out just this morning, so there hasn't been a replacement added yet.
Panzergeist
Hmm, I'm still fiddling around with a few character concepts. I've got a few ideas I'd like to toss out. They would all have athletics, stealth, electronics and electronics BR, of course, as well as the ability to pick locks. Any of them could also have a few points of demolition skill added, if you guys don't have it.

1: Tech wiz character with demolitions skill, lots of non-combat oriented ware such as microscopic vision, fingertip lockpick gun, stuff like that. Some skill with submachine guns, human or dwarf.

2: Otaku specializing in on-site decking. Karma spent to upgrade physical attributes a bit so he can survive fights. Some 'ware related to electronics and decking. Human or elf.

3: Cyberninja with skill in edged weapons and pistols in addition to thief-type skills. Have a bit of reflexware and bioware, and some stuff to help with electronics.

4: Cybered physad. Much like #3, but with very little 'ware, a bit more combat skill, and assasination via delay damage and killing hands.

5: Cybered gnome shaman. Would not have much combat capability; have a totem to help with illusion, detection, and/or manipulation spells. What little 'ware he would have would be related to his breaking and entering speciality. His tiny size would allow him to easily sneak through ventilation ducts, and watcher spirits would come in handy. Could easily fit into most overhead storage bins, saving money on airfare.
BishopMcQ
Panzer--

Idea 2 is covered by our resident decker Iblis, Idea 3 is covered by Tsuru and Steel Lotus. Idea 4 I don't see any B/E support...so I'd say 1 or 5.

This may be my own personal bias, but generally I'd think B/E types are very quiet, stealthy and attempt to be undetectable. Demolitions and large guns would seem to be counter-productive. As I said, just my opinion, take it as you will.
Panzergeist
Yeah, I figured ideas 2 and 3 were kinda redundant, although having 2 deckers in a party is sometimes very handy. I don't know what you mean by big guns; none of the characters would have anything bigger than a silenced SMG. Idea 3 sounds neat, but I've tried adepts with delay damage/killing hands in the past, and while it's a great tool for covertly killing or knocking people out, it doesn't get used very often. Keep in mind that just because I am going to be the intrusion specialist doesn't mean I have to be worthless at everything else. Idea is kind of vanila, but easy to do. Idea 1 would have slightly higher electronics-related skills than idea 5, but would not be able to augment his abilities with magic. Right now I'm leaning towards idea 5. I could make the character a rat shaman, which gives bonuses to city spirits, illusion, and detection spells, and a penalty to combat spells. Also, I've been wanting to try out the possesing metamagic ability, and it would fit perfectly with an intrusion specialist. I could also get a low-level ally spirit that could materialize and open doors and stuff from the inside. I think idea 5 would be a lot more well-rounded than idea 1, and bring more to the team.
Joker9125
2 things

1 Im leaning toward a very lightly cybered physad troll basically a smartlink vision mods and noting else.

2. Can physad's join initation groups with mages? or does it have to be all physads?

EDIT: will we have access to betaware?
Panzergeist
No betaware at chargen, as per normal rules. You can get betaware with the 250 grand afterwards, but you pay street index. Don't know if you would need an appropriate contact though.
Joker9125
kool but what about physad's joining initiatory groups?
Joker9125
Scratch the adept thing im gonna make him a cyber guy. Itll be a little harder to write the backstory for his stuff but i shouldnt have any problems.

EDIT: which cars have diesel engines or are they using gass at all in the sixth world?
Panzergeist
I'm working on my character right now. Priority system, rat shaman, and I'm making him a dwarf instead of a gnome. I figure I can just make him a really small dwarf. Electronics and electronics BR, stealth, athletics, and I'm going to give him a good ettiquette rating and the negotiation(fast talk) specialty so he can weasel out of bad situations.

Some cars do indeed use gasoline. Rigger 3 goes into fuel types, but I believe no distinction is made between gasoline and diesel.
Blitz
Yes, Physads can join magical groups, but each additional tradition adds to the difficulty in forming the magic group.

Check Rigger 3. Under each vehicle it lists the Fuel and the Economy. It ranges from electric to diesel to petrol to jet fuel etc...it all depends on the vehicle.
Joker9125
He goes by the name diesel so im thinking that either....

1. His dad was a mechanic and named him Diesel becuae those are his favorate types of cars

2. He likes the sound of Diesel engines and has taken Diesel as his street name.
Joker9125
QUOTE (Blitz)
Yes, Physads can join magical groups, but each additional tradition adds to the difficulty in forming the magic group.

Check Rigger 3. Under each vehicle it lists the Fuel and the Economy. It ranges from electric to diesel to petrol to jet fuel etc...it all depends on the vehicle.

Ok but are their any cars or motorcycles which specifically state that they use diesel?
Blitz
YES...that is what I said...they range from electric to DIESEL to petrol...etc..
Joker9125
Ok. I understand that cars and bikes in 2063 use gas, electricity, and diesel. but what I am looking for is a SPECIFIC car, bike, truck or whatever that specifically states that it uses diesel. Or can i jsut take any car, truck, bike or whatever and say uses it?
Eyeless Blond
Right. Look at any vehicle entry. There is an entry for Fuel for each and every vehicle; the letter corresponds to the fuel type (see p. 157 for legend), and the number corresponds to the capacity in fuel units (Gasoline is in liters, etc.) That answer your question?

And yes, I will still be dropping in occasionally; I just don't have the time it would take to actually participate. Maybe I can help out the GM and run an NPC or two sometime in a few weeks, but right now life is just taking a big fat dump on me. frown.gif
Eyeless Blond
Oh, and one more thing, to the guy thinking of the Rat Shaman: Analyze Device and a good sustaining focus for it would be a very good idea for you. The spell gives you ranks in an appropriate technical, B/R or background knowledge skill for every two successes, which would be really cool. The only problem is that most electronic equipment is going to have an OR of 10 or more, so you'll need to throw a truly insane number of dice at it to get anywhere, 12 per success, on average, so it's almost not worth it unless you can Center and have lots of foci.
Joker9125
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
but right now life is just taking a big fat dump on me.

Then get some TP silly.gif

Ya I know what ya mean my bros gotten into some trouble lately and this is just one way to take my mind off of it.

And yes that does answer my question.
Panzergeist
Centering wouldn't help a whole lot. Centering only rolls complementary dice, and centering against penalties can only counter penalties, not drop the TN below the base TN, which would be the OR for that spell. I'll just get electronics and electronics BR.
Joker9125
Do we have access to cultured bioware at chargen as long as the avaliability dosent exceed 8?
BishopMcQ
Joker--Yes we have access to cultured as long as the Availability is below 8.

Panzer--What I meant by big guns, is that you can only silence SMGs and larger in SA mode, when BF/FA the silencer does nothing for you. Thus it would be better to use a silenced pistol which has a higher power rating than a silenced SMG unless you plan to throw stealth to hell and practice lead poisoning.
Joker9125
Speaking of big guns.........Do grenade launchers and assault cannons count as big firepower? biggrin.gif

Just finished number crunching my character, Hope hes not to munchy.

EDIT: before people start hammering me about being subtle.

Hes an 11'5 FT TROLL!!!!! Subtibility is not what im going for with this character.

P.S. What would be an appropiate weight for a trollt his tall? Yes he is very muscled. I have 300 down at the moment but im really guessing as to how much he would weigh
Panzergeist

According to the core rulebook, the average troll is 2.8 meters, or nine feet, tall, and weighs 225 kilograms. Force eleven and a half feet tall, 300 kg sounds about right. FYI, you will have to weigh less than 400 kg, including gear, for me to levitate you. As for vehicles, none of them specifically say they use diesel. Since it makes no distinction, I am guessing that all hydrocarbon-powered vehicles can use either diesel or gasoline, or a mixture of the two. We have vehicles that can do that today after all.

I have finished my character. He can do any electronic stuff we need done, as well as pick locks or pockets, duplicate fingerprints, and perform physical and astral reconaissance. He's not meant for fighting at all, with no weapons or weapon skills and modest physical attributes, but with the help of his ally spirit he can do alright with the two combat spells he has. His ally can also materialize to open doors and stuff from the inside, carry people using three-dimensional movement, or perform physical reconaissance in her super-small rat form. Here is his background.

Claude Derringer has had a hard life. He was born to a pair of alcoholics who resented his presence, as if it was his fault that they had an unwanted child. His parents spent most of their time drinking, slepping, or zoning out and watching trideo when they weren't slacking off at their dead-end McJobs, and had no time for him. His parents had SINs, but they had him born at a black market clinic and never told the government about him, leaving him with no SIN. He learned why when he was ten years old. On his tenth birthday, his parents gave him a hundred nuyen as a birthday "present." At that age, they decided he was old enough to fend for himself, and abandoned him to live on the streets. Immediately thereafter they moved so that he couldn't come back to them, anbd he never saw them again.

Claude lived as a beggar for years, earning money from generous citizens and non-citizens alike who felt sorry for him. At the age of thirteen, he started astrally perceiving. At first he thought it was some sort of disease, but then Rat appeared to him and told him that he was Special. Rat taught him to use magic, and he started making a bit of money healing people, performing astral reconaissance, and, eventually, small-time bodyguarding. This allowed him to live as a squatter rather than sleeping on the streets. He saved his spare money and used it to buycheap electronic trinkets, and slowly became enamored with music and electronics.

Claude Derringer started calling himself Loki, because using his real name with strangers just seemed too strange to him. After he got pretty good at magic and electronics work, he started to do some small-time burlary, and later through shadowrunning. Loki slowly got better at shadowrunning, and saved his money to buy a bit of cyberware and bioware that would help him survive the perils of running the shadows and fill his intrusion specialty without hurting his magic too much.

Loki has been alone all his life. He didn't have any friends when he was a kid, and after his parents abandoned him, he met new people fairly frequently, but rarely stayed in touch with them for very long. Most of the people he has known were street types who either drifted off to other places or got killed or imprisoned. The only person whom Loki has known for more than a couple of years is Casey, a fence in the Tacoma area whom Loki has been selling stolen goods to since shortly after he started making money through burglary. Loki has never had any real friends, and his hard upbringing has made him suspicious of other people. He spends most of his spare time alone at home, exploring the metaplanes, communing with Rat, and listening to music. He often tries to dull the pain of life with jokes, but his dark sense of humor is often more depressing than funny to others.

After several years of this, at the age of 24, Loki is finally a shadowrunner worth noting. About a year ago he joined an initiatory group, and nine months ago he joined a permanent shadowunning team. As a result, he knows about two dozen people whom he sees at least once a month, a situation which is unprecedented in his life. A couple of months ago Loki summoned himself an ally spirit as part of his second initiation. He named this ally spirit Katie, because he thought that sounded like a name that Rat would like. Katie appears either as a rat or a young girl, and Loki gives her a lot of freedom. Although ally spirits serve as magical aides to mages, Katie's main function is simply to keep Loki company. She often hangs out with him at home, and because Loki is such a lonely person, she serves as a friend and confidant to him. Katie is very quiet and shy, but friendly towards strangers. Althgough she is intensely curious about the world, she has inherited her creator's fear of being alone, and thus rarely leaves Loki's side, other than to go to her home metaplane, except when Loki needs her to do so. Even when Loki sleeps, she usually prefers to stay in his apartment and watch television rather than rest in the metaplane of Man.

Blitz
QUOTE (McQuillan)
Joker--Yes we have access to cultured as long as the Availability is below 8.

Panzer--What I meant by big guns, is that you can only silence SMGs and larger in SA mode, when BF/FA the silencer does nothing for you. Thus it would be better to use a silenced pistol which has a higher power rating than a silenced SMG unless you plan to throw stealth to hell and practice lead poisoning.

Actually...Silencers are meant for SA and Suppressors are meant for BF and FA....you can still quiet them, it's just a different attachment depending on the gun.

Also...Are you sure none specify Diesel...Diesel fuel is burned differently than regular gasoline and can't be swapped, and I was fairly certain that if it was diesel, it was specified...that's what I get for leaving the books in the car. Ill check it before work tomorrow to make sure one way or the other.
Joker9125
Ok so ill make his height 11

Born in New York Diesel is abnormally large and smart for a troll which has made his life even more difficult than it should have been. Most trolls stand out in a crowd but he REALLY stands out. His mother was a drunk who was raped by a troll one night in an ally behind a bar but since she was catholic she kept the child because abortion is wrong to her. Even though she kept him that dosent mean she had to like him, She never named him and continually reffered to him as bastard child he was repetatedly abused by her growing up and when she was either drunk or in a bad mood (70% of the time) she also refused to feed him forcing him to live off food from the dumpster and whatever the neighbors would give him. Finally one day when he was 10 his mother got espically drunk and decided that it was time to "remove the shame in her life" and no I dont mean she gave up drinking. She got the pistol that she kept in her bedroom and shot him. Being a troll and an exceptionally large one at that, the shot did little to hurt him but it was all the reason he needed to chunk her from the 15th floor window of their apartment.

After this he bandaged his shoulder, took anything of value he could find in the house and went to live on the streets. Being accustomed to fending for himself he didnt have to much trouble adapting. Soon he endared himself to a troll gang called the Kong Destroyers who took him in and gave him the name Diesel because of his love of the sound of their engines. During this time he laerned alot about street life and he even learned about magic from the gangs mage, he also discovered his love of things that go BOOM!!! making grenade and rocket launcher's a natural choice of weapon for him. While livivng on the streets he developed a code of conduct for fights. He can not shoot a man in the back or an unarmed man and all targets must be fully aware of his presence. Suprisingly he also developed a love of painting he viewed it as a way to express his feelings about the hard life on the streets. After several years of selling drugs and BTL's the gang finally landed a major deal with the yakuza (if the yaks wouldnt do this then insert some other racist against metas gang or criminal orginazation here) The deal was for a major shipment of BTL's (2 million Nuyen). At the deal the Yaks tried to double cross them and due to a suprise raid by the police Diesel was not only able to survive but during the confusion he was able to grab a few suitcase's of money and scram.

He then went into hiding for awhile and after a month or 2 went to a street doc and got some major implants.

Needless to say the Yaks were none to happy about this turn of events and are looking for him.

After healing from his surgery and moving to seattle he bagan his life as a shadowrunner. He did a few runs and pick up another enhancement or 2 before joining up with his current group who tend reserve his special talents for major firefights.
Joker9125
Ok diesel is done where am i supposed to send his character sheet
Panzergeist
Good background. The character goes to Fenris. I PM'd mine, but he might prefer e-mail.

As for diesel fuel, it is less volatile than gasoline, but engines can be made to automatically adjust for the difference. The M1 Abrams tank can use either gasoline or diesel.
Blitz
Yes, but that's the exception, rather than the rule.

Am I the only one who notices the trend in abused kids running away at 10 for a life on the streets smile.gif
BishopMcQ
QUOTE (Blitz)
Actually...Silencers are meant for SA and Suppressors are meant for BF and FA....you can still quiet them, it's just a different attachment depending on the gun.

Blitz--Precisely my point, Pnazer had mentioned a silenced SMG, so I wanted to make sure he knew the difference. It sucks having to remove an accessory and put a different one on in combat because you want to switch firing modes.

And for the record, I was first and never abused.
Joker9125
QUOTE (Panzergeist)
Good background. The character goes to Fenris. I PM'd mine, but he might prefer e-mail.

As for diesel fuel, it is less volatile than gasoline, but engines can be made to automatically adjust for the difference. The M1 Abrams tank can use either gasoline or diesel.

Ok so how do I send the NSRCG HTML file through a PM? Also what is his e-mail?

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Right. Look at any vehicle entry. There is an entry for Fuel for each and every vehicle; the letter corresponds to the fuel type (see p. 157 for legend), and the number corresponds to the capacity in fuel units (Gasoline is in liters, etc.) That answer your question?

Actually all of the SUV's listed in r3 use diesel fule.
Blitz
Yep...a really easy way to see which is diesel is to look at the design tables in the back. They are all listed by power type...ie. Gas, Diesel, Electronic, Battery, Jet Fuel etc.
Number 6
Ok guys, I have to say I don't have much of a background yet. I had originally envisioned an adept who follows the way of bushido, utilizing both the sword and bow. A japanese immigrant, he came to North America with nothing. With no SIN he would have taken up shadowrunning as an honorable way for a currently masterless samurai to live. Tsuru trains with a dojo of like-minded people, practicing Yamate-ryu aikijutsu and Tenshi-ryu kenjutsu. He has recently attained certification to teach other students, though at this point that's more a sign of his mastery than anything.

Guys, I don't have most of the books; just SR3, MitS and MaM. Of those I haven't even really read more than the crunchy bits since i've only played one game for 2 sessions. So, I don't have much info on the background or history so far and could use any help ya'll wanna give. I tried to pick a character whose ignorance of north american culture reflects this too.

I have the basic stats of the guy put together, I just need to put him in NSRCG and advance him. I'd also love any PM'ed suggestions in that regard too.
BishopMcQ
Number 6--This is all straight off the cuff, so let me know what works and what doesn't and we can go from there.

For advancing your character--if you want to go the martial route on the cheap side, specialize in katana (I'm presuming) this will be less costly in Karma for increased skill. I'd also recommend a few initiations. Pick up masking if you want to hide your magical nature, centering would also be useful. With the power points you can pick up a few sense-mods that you lacked before and keep up with any imp. skill powers you took--IIRC up to your skill or magic rating whichever is lower.

As far as histories go--you can easily tie into Medesha's bkgd. Both of you could train at the same dojo for example. If you're good with a sword, you could easily have done work with Jake, Iblis or Moe--all 3 of us have a habit of letting our body go limp in the more esoteric parts of our job description.

Hey, how would you like to be Jake's martial arts instructor? He's been working on his unarmed skill--Forgive my ignorance if neither style you mentioned is unarmed--but he could easily have brought you into the Shadows.

Other questions to ask yourself:
What does Tsuru do in his spare time?
Where does Tsuru live?
Why did he leave home to come to Seattle?
Is Tsuru looking for a new master or has he resigned himself to being ronin?
Panzergeist
Kenjutsu is swordfighting. I believe aikijutsu is an unarmed style focusing on grappling.
Number 6
QUOTE (McQuillan)
Hey, how would you like to be Jake's martial arts instructor? He's been working on his unarmed skill--Forgive my ignorance if neither style you mentioned is unarmed--but he could easily have brought you into the Shadows.

Other questions to ask yourself:
What does Tsuru do in his spare time?
Where does Tsuru live?
Why did he leave home to come to Seattle?
Is Tsuru looking for a new master or has he resigned himself to being ronin?

Teaching Jake wouldn't be a problem. Yes, panzer is correct, aikijutsu is a throwing/grappling art very closely related to kenjutsu. Many of the techniques are identical, and most of the aikijutsu techniques are able to be done while holding a katana. It has recently evolved into aikido. Probably uses many of the same manuevers, but I haven;t looked at the CC rules yet.

In his spare time Tsuru reads up on different modern martial arts, hangs out in sushi bars and attends his bonsai. He has been cultivating a serissa foetida cascade-over-rock for several years now, a recent and radical break from the formal-upright style he's used to. Thats when he's not hanging out in shady dives with his shadowrunning friends.

Tsuru lives in a pretty small studio apt. It doesn't bother him as he sees the apt as a sleeping place between training and jobs. He's practically an ascetic, I may take that for one of his ordeals.

Tsuru left japan disgusted with the bastardization of honor at the hands of modern Yakuza and Zaibatsu. As he's aged he has come to realize that some adaption is required, but throwing away all honor is not.

Tsuru has yet to find a master worth serving. He instead has given his loyalty to his sensei, students, and the other runners he works with.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012