Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What stats would you give depleted uranium lacing
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
John Campbell
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
And there's still tungsten. Like Cray74 has repeatedly mentioned, it's more dense than depleted uranium (19.25g/cm^3 vs 19.05g/cm^3), it's harder in just about every way, doesn't radiate at all, and is less toxic -- how much less toxic, I'm not completely certain. Still, you'd only need a simple, thin plastic seal with tungsten, it would be less likely to allow a fracture in the first place and it would probably be released slower (because it's harder), and it's less toxic anyway.

So tungsten is better in every single way. Tungsten, W, 74. That's the ticket. You might even find some rich, eccentric freak who'd want his bones laced with that.

It's still more toxic than you really want in your body, it seems. I'm not finding a whole lot of details in my half-assed research (typing "tungsten toxicity" into Google), but it looks like it takes about 20 times as much to be as dangerous as uranium or lead. One of the sources I got that bit of trivia from also mentions that the toxicity concentration of uranium is pretty irrelevant, because you start having problems with the radiation at a rather lower concentration.

Tungsten's also got the highest melting point of any metal, and, of all the elements, is second only to carbon. Aluminum and iron will vaporize before tungsten so much as starts to get soft. What good that would do you, I have no idea. Could make it real difficult to dispose of your corpse via cremation, I guess (and, again, what good that would do you, I have no idea). It makes a lovely metal for orbital kinetic projectiles, though, because it won't melt or deform upon hitting the atmosphere at extreme velocities.
Austere Emancipator
Yeah, I sure as hell wouldn't want tungsten bone lacing, but I'd much rather take that than depleted uranium bone lacing if I had to choose.
Cray74
QUOTE (John Campbell)
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
..., doesn't radiate at all, and is less toxic -- how much less toxic, I'm not completely certain.

It's still more toxic than you really want in your body, it seems. I'm not finding a whole lot of details in my half-assed research (typing "tungsten toxicity" into Google), but it looks like it takes about 20 times as much to be as dangerous as uranium or lead.

Austere, I wouldn't claim tungsten's less toxic than lead. I don't know how toxic it is.

Here's a Material Safety & Data Sheet for tungsten.

"Health Hazards: To the best of our knowledge the chemical physical and toxicological properties of tungsten metal have not been thoroughly recorded. Tungsten compounds: Industrially, this element does not constitute an important health hazard. Exposure is related mainly to the dust arising from the crushing and milling of the two chief ores of tungsten, namely scheelite and wolframite. Large overdoses cause central nervous system disturbances, diarrhea, respiratory failure and death in experimental animals." (<--sounds like a heavy metal alright.)

From another Tungsten MSDS:

"Effect of Overexposure: Dust, mist and fumes generated during physical or metallurgical treatment may
cause mild irritation of the nose and throat. With the exception of two Russian studies that found early signs of
pulmonary fibrosis in some workers exposed to tungsten trioxide, tungsten metal and tungsten carbide, most
studies have shown tungsten to be toxicologically inert. Skin and eye contact may cause irritation due to
abrasive action of the dust. Current scientific evidence indicates no adverse effects are likely from accidental
ingestion of small amounts of tungsten."

If you ever want to find the legal (heh) toxic properties of something, Google for: [chemical name] MSDS. A formal MSDS is what legally needs to be reported about a chemical for industrial safety needs.

GreatChicken
Would that be a natural immunity? I mean, uranium is an element...

That would be an immunity against the rays it gives off, not uranium itself. Without the rays, called radiation, Uranium would probably be about as safe as putting ordinary steel into you. I think.

Sure, Uranium isn't the only element to have Radiation (other examples include Radium, Thorium, Plutonium). However, the pattern of radioactivity is pretty common for all radioactive materials, and comes in only 3 flavors: Alpha, Beta and Gamma.

Unless one wants to rule that resistance to rads has to be taken in a 1 for each basis, I say that a single radiation resistance should be enough to protect against all forms of radiation. Note that you STILL cannot survive the shockwave and heat generated by a nuke landing, but you'll be able to survive the fallout afterwards. Probably.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (GreatChicken)
That would be an immunity against the rays it gives off, not uranium itself. Without the rays, called radiation, Uranium would probably be about as safe as putting ordinary steel into you. I think.\

As mentioned previously, it's more about as safe as ordinary lead. Also, I'd allow Immunity to Radiation as much as I'd allow Immunity to Bullets.

~J
GreatChicken
Well, if your campagin continuously has players entering nuke plants or getting atomic weapons trained on them, whatever floats your boat.... eek.gif
Diesel
It's just something you're not immune to, is all.
Cray74
QUOTE (GreatChicken)
That would be an immunity against the rays it gives off, not uranium itself. Without the rays, called radiation, Uranium would probably be about as safe as putting ordinary steel into you. I think.

No, separate of its radioactivity, uranium is chemically toxic, about like lead.
Capt. Dave
{deleted}
Capt. Dave
C'mon guys, it wasn't a serious question. Maybe I should've posted a smiley after it... wobble.gif
JaronK
Cutter, this is the last time I answer any of your rediculus ideas, unless you're willing to put your actual credentials down (not "I looked at a website once"). No one said DU could not be shielded. What we just about all said was that due to the toxicity and radiation, the amount of shielding that would be required for a lacing proceedure would be significantly more than the amount of actual DU, by a factor of 4 or more most likely, since radiaiton shielding has to be thick and only some materials (read: dense materials that have to be shielded in their own right in the body) could function in that role. So you'd end up with tiny strands of DU, maybe half a millimeter of the stuff, with perhaps a full milimeter around sheath of lead (and if you remember your geometry, putting a 1 mm thick sheath around a 1/2 mm diameter wire results in a heck of a lot more material in the sheath than the wire), and then another 1/4 mm sheath of some inert material like titanium protecting you from the lead. So now we've got an enmourmous 1 1/2 mm radius, or 2 1/2 mm diameter... that may not sound like much, but it's pretty thick, and only a tiny fraction of the stuff is actually DU, so you really don't get the properties of DU in your bones, you get the properties of lead wrapped around by titanium. In other words, the shielding makes the whole thing unfeasable, which is what we've been saying... the added problem of course is that if the shielding is damaged, which is quite likely considering the purpose of bone lacing, then the body of the runner is exposed to all sorts of nasty toxic and radioactive goodness.

As for other cyberware, the issue you've missed here is surface area. Let's say for the moment that cyberware memory requires a small radioactive power source. Due to nano technology, that source is perhaps 1 cubic milimeter. Now, using the same figues as above, we'll coat that in 1 mm or so of shielding. Okay, now we've got a single box that's about 2 1/2 mm on a side. Now, this memory is for your brain, so this box is inside your skull. It's protected from damage (if inside your skull takes enough damage to crack the shielding, you're dead anyway). So we don't have to worry nearly as much about the shielding taking damage. The total area is also tiny. There's no problem here at all, in fact.

Anyway, that's the last time I respond to your innane, uninformed, ignorant ranting until you can post some kind of reason why we should be listening to you... I want to see some credentials. I want to know where you're getting this BS from. Either that, or I want you to never post again that crap about knowing when to shut up, because clearly, you don't.

And, jumping into the more fun parts of the conversation, I think immunity to Alpha or Beta radiation could be pretty doable, perhaps as an adept power, or perhaps as some funky mutation thing, especially if your character was from some very radioactive area (chernoble is still about, right?). I'm not sure I'd buy gamma radiation immunity, though even that is possible... I mean, in a game where you can summon fire elementals or get magical armour, stopping a few helium ions or electrons seems like something that SOMEONE can do, though it's likely rare.

And hey, did anyone else get a thought when reading about when tungsten gets to melting... a fire elemental with tunsten bone lacing! Wheeeeee!

Okay, maybe that was just me.

JaronK
Eyeless Blond
Besides, if I remember correctly most all cyberware power sources--except high-drain systems like eye lasers and the like--work by siphoning electrical energy off of the nervous system itself, so there is in fact no mini-nuclear reactor or anything else implanted in the body, which would be pretty stupid anyway because that tiny amount of uranium wouldn't last more than a few minutes anyway before dropping exponentially in power.
JaronK
Exponentially? Hardly. In fact, I'd guess that a uranium power source would lose about half it's power in, give or take, 4.5 billion years, assuming we mean U-238 here. Anyway, I was just giving an example of how you could shield a small device that wasn't designed to get smash about so much, but that it would be far harder to shield something with a massive surface area, like bone lacing.

Hmm, I didn't read that cyberware draws it's power from the body's nervous system... that would sure explain essense loss!

JaronK
Phaeton
I never thought of that before now. It DOES explain essence loss---it all makes sense now!
Nikoli
But I doubt bone lacing needs more juice than a radio...
JaronK
Well, it explains a part of essense loss anyway. Though bone lacing, being heavier, would make it take more energy to move... meh. Anyway, it's a nice thought. It could also lead to a pretty interesting campaign idea, where a corp decides that the only reason you lose essense is nueral power loss, and decides to compensate for that with an internal mini-nuclear power plant, and you end up with some crazy form of cyber zombie with tons of cyberware, but something else wrong with him... who knows what, the GM could make something fun though.

JaronK
CardboardArmor
It's all in Man and Machine. Something about superconductors and the like basically operating cyberware off of your bioelectricity (though magically only drawing enough off that it doesn't really bother you). Unless you go base cyberware, you're probably running with myomers or other motivational motors that could work like muscles anyway, so no need for servos and the like.

I wish I paid more attention in engineering instead of biology, I really am talking out my ass now. If only we were talking abut bioware...
Eyeless Blond
That would be true, if U-238 could be used in a fission reactor. Unfortunately it can't; species with such a long half-life simply do not generate a significant amount of electricity in a useful amount of time. The types of uranium, plutonium, etc. that are useful in nuclear reactor are the ones with shorter half-lives, like U-235 with its half-life of ~23 minutes, or ones like Pu-239, which still have such a long half-life that they must be extremely pure to ever produce a significant amount of power.
Austere Emancipator
Cray74: Interesting. You'd think something that widely used (at least in some areas) would have had better studies of it's toxicity made. So it's probably somewhere between As Toxic As Lead and 1/20th As Toxic As Lead?

In any case, because you wouldn't need shielding against radiation, only to stop it from leaking into your body, we all agree that tungsten would be better than depleted uranium in almost every way, right?
JaronK
Probably yes, but then you have to wonder... what's the point of putting something in the body that's just heavy? Still, I suppose with enough muscle augmentations it might be worth while... you'd have an intense amount of mass, combined with the power to drive that mass... you'd hit like a mack truck (and weigh about as much!). I'm not sure it would make sense on the open market, but as an NPC in a game it might be pretty cool. Perhaps a giant troll with all the appropriate strength upgrades, with Tungsten laced bones (with the appropriate titanium outer layer for protection). Have him do something like 20D damage in hand to hand or something. It seems like a very nice James Bond-esc villian.

U-235 has a half life of 704 million years, by the way, and works in nuclear reactors... I'm assuming that with future tech you could somehow create a tiny power plant with it. Anyway, it's not necessary if you get your power from the body itself, but it's an interesting thought... perhaps a nuclear powered cyber arm? Hmm, tack that one on to the troll above... hmm... I'm liking this character concept...

Now, U-239 has a halflife of 23 minutes... is that what you were thinking of? You create that by bombarding U-238 with neutrons. Quoting from http://education.jlab.org/itselemental/ele092.html now,

"Uranium-239 forms when uranium-238 absorbs a neutron. Uranium-239 has a half-life of about 23 minutes and decays into neptunium-239 through beta decay. Neptunium-239 has a half-life of about 2.4 days and decays into plutonium-239, also through beta decay." P-239 is then used in some nuclear reactors and nuclear weapons... probably not the best matieral to put in your head, since it can blow up. But P-238 would be an excellent power source... it's currently used in ultra long range space probes that need a power source that isn't reliant on the sun. It has a half life of 87 years, which is plenty for most cybernetics purposes.

JaronK
xizor
as a side note isn't fissionable materials heavily regulated? i mean that there was an entire novel about digging up a sunken sub to get nuclear warheads

i do realise that there is a BIG difference between a little bit of bone lacing (15kilos) and a nuclear warhead. however depleted uranium is still radio active, ergo it can still be used for a dirty bomb, not necessarily a good one but still...
i think that it would be next to impossible to actually get depleted uranium in shadowrun

EDIT ah well just about everybody thinks its a bad idea any way. interesting but impractical
Phaeton
Save possibly in bullet form. And even then, relatively hard to find.
Arethusa
It's not all that heavily regulated, even with the brand new American SS in place. If you gave me a month and little care for my long term health, I could build you a very unreliable and messy nuclear weapon.

And, yes, you could use DU for a dirty bomb, but as you note, it wouldn't be very good at all. As for DU lacing, I wouldn't say it's even that interesting. Just remarkably stupid, really.
Zazen
QUOTE (Arethusa)
If you gave me a month and little care for my long term health, I could build you a very unreliable and messy nuclear weapon.

You personally? Yeah, ok sarcastic.gif
xizor
and what is so wrong with an incedibly stupid thing being interesting?

ie

the darwin awards....
A Clockwork Lime
QUOTE (Arethusa)
If you gave me a month and little care for my long term health, I could build you a very unreliable and messy nuclear weapon.

Fine. You have a month and I couldn't care less about your long term, or even short term, health. Knock yourself out.
Phaeton
Literally. silly.gif
Arethusa
Well, fuck me. Can't imagine why I expected even the slightest bit of sensible maturity from this forum.
Cain
QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
QUOTE (Arethusa @ May 22 2004, 08:28 PM)

Fine. You have a month and I couldn't care less about your long term, or even short term, health. Knock yourself out.

It's not that difficult. Given two lumps of uranium of sufficient size and reactivity, just about anyone could do it. All that's involved is getting them to bang together at the right moment. Everything else is just a refinement.
A Clockwork Lime
Groovy. Both of you get started. We'll check back in one month.
Arethusa
The only remotely difficult part is acquiring and refining the radioactive uranium, and without proper equipment and facilities, it's basically impossible to do without killing yourself in a month with cancer. But if that doesn't matter, you can really make a bomb out of stuff stolen from a school reactor/accelerator and some common household/lab chemicals. From there, it's just technical refinement, as Cain points out.
A Clockwork Lime
As made evident by all the nuclear weapons being rampantly created across the globe. It's obviously sooooo easy to do. Maybe Cain can use his unstoppable kung fu powers to help him put it all together, and you can use your mastery of firearms to swindle some uranium from your neat-o contacts. Especially since, and I quote verbatim, "it's not all that heavily regulated."

You're both down to 29 days, 23 hours, and 50 minutes by the way. Tick tock. Tick tock.
Zazen
I thought the point of your post was that you could get those materials in a month? That's what I find ridiculous.

"It's not all that heavily regulated, even with the brand new American SS in place. If you gave me a month..."
Arethusa
I'm sorry, Lime, I forgot: grow up. You barely act like you're 10, and I don't have time for children.

Zazen: acquisition of educational institution grade uranium ore is really not all that impossible. If it really came down to it, I wouldn't nail down a month as a realistically reliable time, but I wouldn't discount it either. It really isn't paid attention to as much as it should be, and stealing some is certainly possible. That's not to say it's truly easy, and one certainly can't walk into a school and find it lying on a table, or something, but it can be done. Done practically is another matter entirely. Done without killing yourself? Not really.
A Clockwork Lime
I'm not the idiot going around saying I can score nuclear material in a month, let alone build a bomb out of it.

29 days, 23:45
Zazen
acquisition of educational institution grade uranium ore is really not all that impossible

That's fine, but you can't build a bomb out of that. How do you plan to refine that in a month without proper materials, assuming that you're even able to score the amount of ore that you need? (Which is like what, enough ore to provide like 300kg of natural uranium? Ok!)
Arethusa
You'd need a lot, certainly, but not 300kg. It's already been refined from its natural state, even it not to the point of being weapons grade. The refinement process itself takes time, yes, but it's doable in a month, and pretty much all the materials you'd need can either be purchased from a lab supply store or stolen from a local high school. But do be prepared to die from this, as the proper materials needed for staying alive and not getting cancer are not exactly available.
Smiley
Good lord. I stop checking the thread for a day and it goes from one pointless string of bickering to another. Can we let it all drop, people? PLEASE?
Arethusa
Good idea. Why, I think I advocated this myself a couple times, and yet a couple obnoxious children keep picking fights.
Smiley
Aww... see? THAT'S certainly not helping!
Zazen
QUOTE (Arethusa)
You'd need a lot, certainly, but not 300kg. It's already been refined from its natural state, even it not to the point of being weapons grade.

How much? I just pulled 300kg out of my ass, but now that I think about it, you'd have to start with more like 3000kg of natural uranium. In order to need only 300kg it'd need to start at like 10-20%, which is a hell of a lot.

The refinement process itself takes time, yes, but it's doable in a month, and pretty much all the materials you'd need can either be purchased from a lab supply store or stolen from a local high school.  But do be prepared to die from this, as the proper materials needed for staying alive and not getting cancer are not exactly available.

I asked how you're going to do that. And now I'll hold you to making it in a high school nyahnyah.gif
A Clockwork Lime
Good idea. Why, I think I advocated this myself a couple times, and yet a couple obnoxious children keep picking fights.

Then maybe the other obnoxious children should stop talking out of their ass by making asinine comments that they can't live up to while simultaneously whining when people call them on it.
Smiley
Or maybe this thread is destined to bring down the Sadowrun Forum from within. Maybe it's cursed and we're all powerless to let it JUST DIE.

Or maybe nobody can swallow their pride and just let it go.
Cain
QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
As made evident by all the nuclear weapons being rampantly created across the globe. It's obviously sooooo easy to do.

Interestingly, that was an excuse given by Cheney for why we invaded Iraq.

Actually, it isn't that difficult at all, if you have the slightest knowledge of real-world physics. Here is a dummied-down guide on HowStuffWorks.com, which explains the basic physics simply enough for a ten-year-old to follow. If you need it, Lime, I can find even easier pages.

While I couldn't make a very efficient one, Little Boy only had an efficiency of 1.5%-- that is, only 1.5% of the fissionable material actually detonated. What's difficult is getting the efficiency rates up. I also couldn't build a fusion bomb-- what's called an enriched H-Bomb-- but a simple fission bomb just involves banging together two lumps of subcritical uranium.

This level of detail is readily availiable to any schoolchild; I remember reading this stuff in elementary school. I really have to wonder what your level of education is, ACL, if you don't know basic chemistry and physics. I can understand that you don't know anything about martial arts, since that's a bit of an esoteric subject; but I thought fifth-grade physics would be accessible to you.
A Clockwork Lime
Yes, because you can't live up to your idiotic claims, I'm the uneducated one. Good job. You still have 29 days and change to prove me wrong, though. So get cracking. <clap clap> Otherwise, shut up.
Cain
*sigh*

Read the link I posted, willya? If you can't follow it, I'll find you an easier one.

But tell me, can you hit one rock with another one?
Entropy Kid
"OK," I say. "Let's say I've got some cobalt-60. How do I cleverly turn the shards into inhalable particles?"

There is a short silence.

"I'm not going to tell you," he says.

Is this reticence due to his earlier warning that I ought not provide a "cookbook for terrorists," or is it something more embarrassing? Has it just crossed his mind that I am an actual terrorist pretending to be a Guardian journalist? Maybe, in the end, the best way for a terrorist to make a dirty bomb is to pretend to be a Guardian journalist and phone a bunch of scientists and academics for excellent insider tips.

via Guardian Unlimited.

Some myths about dirty bombs (PDF). via fas.org

It doesn't seem so easy to gather and prepare the materials, but once they're gathered it seems that it's just a matter of putting them together and setting the thing off. In a SR context, many runners would be able to get in contact with the right people to get some Cobalt-60 or Cesium, or whatever. "Commercial explosives" are already available at your local fixer.

edit: oh, talking about real nuclear bombs; must work on that whole paying attention thing.
Zazen
QUOTE (Cain @ May 23 2004, 12:51 AM)
While I couldn't make a very efficient one, Little Boy only had an efficiency of 1.5%-- that is, only 1.5% of the fissionable material actually detonated.

And had more than a hundred pounds of 80+% fuel!

Really, I know that any fool can build a big gun to slam two hunks of crap into each other, but you can't score 8,000+ pounds of uranium, enrich it all, and build a bomb in a month.

If I seem a little fanatical about this, it's because I've been listening to people say this since I was a kid. When I was 12 I read those cool BBS philes about building your own A-bomb and all of the 31337 armchair physicists would post on the boards about how they could do it if they wanted. I believed them and I thought they were pretty cool. I'm not 12 anymore. They were full of shit.
Smiley

I wash my hands of this thread. Beware, for it shall CONSUME YOU ALL!
Arethusa
Zazen, to be honest, the kind of bomb that one can potentially assemble from stolen and exceedingly crudely processed fissionable material is not going to equal Hiroshima. At least, I rather doubt it could. Is it going to be nasty? I'd be willing to say so. Again, the month figure is not one I'd reliably stand by, as the time it takes to potentially score that kind of material is going to vary wildly depending on whom you know and how much you're willing to spend and risk. With the right connections, I wouldn't call a month impossible. Realistically, for most people with a death wish and not enough brains, they'll be caught by the FBI before they ever get close enough. But that's not to say it can't be done. And you don't need 8 tons. That's going just a little far.

[edit]

Well, straw men seem to be hugely popular with the kids these days. Me, I'm following my own advice and Smiley's example.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012