Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What stats would you give depleted uranium lacing
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Arethusa
In general, a simple sheet of steel will do decent enough job of electromagnetic shielding.
Eyeless Blond
Heh, something we agree on Anethusa. smile.gif

Really, hardening things to magnetic fields isn't too hard. Heck, your microwave does it, and its almost transparent. All you need is a completely enclosed metal cage. See RF Shielding for details.
Tal
Ah... Anything nonferrous?
GreatChicken
Well, there is ceramics (carbon base, NOT clay base) and fiberglass....
JaronK
Heh, sorry, she doesn't know. But she's happy someone online references her for information! She's more nuclear physics oriented.

JaronK
Joker9125
Im talking about coating 2 seperate magnets with some substance then sitting them on top of each other and not having to worry about them attracting or repelling each other.
Eyeless Blond
Well that's a bit difficult, mostly because to be perfectly ideal you need a material that is not ferromagnetic, not even paramagnetic, but can still conduct electricity. These are called superconductors, because they have the side-effect of allowing lossless transmission of electrical current. A "good" superconductor--that is, one that can conduct a large amount of electricity at close to room temperature--is one of the Big Projects of modern material science. So far the ony true superconductors in existence today are either incredibly low-temperature or get saturated easily.

In the absense of something like that, you can just use a non-ferromagnetic metal--titanium will do, maybe even copper or zinc--and just accept that it won't work perfectly. I think this is what the millitary does when they harden their electronics against EMPs and the like.
Joker9125
It dosent need to work perfectly but it needs to greatly reduce the magnetic fields generated.
Hmm titanium seems a bit expensive so maybe copper or zinc would be a more economic choice.
Tal
Any particular reason Joker?
Joker9125
little project ive been thinking about working on for awhile. Thats all im really gonna say
Tal
Awwww.... Spoilsport!
JaronK
It should be noted that within the body, your bioelectric feild would provide some decent shielding against damage to internal cyberware.

JaronK
Arethusa
It should also be noted that, as SR computers and cyberware are supposedly purely optical, an EMP wouldn't do anything. If that's a little hard to swallow, even a largely optical computer could have its sensitive bits shielded quite nicely with some efficient design.
Joker9125
It should also be pointed out that The machines in all 3 matrix movies couls have easily shielded themselves against the big scary EMP
Arethusa
Hush you and your Matrix bashing. Besides, shielding can be overcome by radiation of sufficient strength, though that hardly patches The Matrix's plot holes.
Joker9125
lol I thought the matrix was awsome but that was the one thing that I couldnt really get over.
Arethusa
So it didn't, say, bother you that people were used to violate the 2nd law of thermodynamics?
Joker9125
If I knew what it meant I probably would have been bothered.
Kagetenshi
What would've been cool is if they'd used people to violate the third law of thermodynamics.

~J
Zazen
So it didn't, say, bother you that people were used to violate the 2nd law of thermodynamics?

How? I've heard that before, and it doesn't jibe with what I saw, and I only saw it once or twice.

They say they use humans and "fusion", which I assume means reactors. Then they use the matrix to turn humans into "this" (Larry holds up a battery). I see scenes where big machines pick humans out of a field. The way I see it, the humans survive with the extra power from this "fusion", and merely serve as a power source that is more portable than a huge reactor (after all, a battery is not a generator). They need this portability for, well, whatever.

And what plot holes did you find? (keeping in mind that a flaw in the premise is not a hole in the plot nyahnyah.gif) I found it reasonably consistent and detailed; nothing jumped out at me as a glaring plot hole.
Joker9125
After the second movie I was convinced that the so called real world was jsut another matrix but when they said otherwise in the 3rd movie i was dumbfounded.
Cray74
QUOTE (JaronK @ May 25 2004, 03:29 AM)
It should be noted that within the body, your bioelectric feild would provide some decent shielding against damage to internal cyberware.

The human body does not generate a lot of electricity. It doesn't generate enough electricity in the brain to power any cyberware. It also doesn't generate enough to produce shielding magnetic or electric fields. If the human body provides shielding to anything, it's because it puts a lot of wet meat inbetween the object and the source.
Caine Hazen
The Matrix was a kinda fun movie....I'm still waitin for any sequels to come out "there can be only 1"....

SPeaking of that have any of you run the DOOM client on Linux/Unix that acts as sys admin...where you can kill jobs with your shotgun?? I think we should mod up Deus Ex to do that in a better way
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012