Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Found Arcana - Chapter 7 [IC]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Jack_Spade
"Yeah, but don't go out fighting bears just because you have opposable thumbs. Bears like to snack on those." Bobby interjected, suppressing a burb.
"Alright, let's get this show on the road. Tracks are getting colder by the minute."

Beta
Peshtigo affirms <<Of course I know how to trace something, you get a grip on its data trails and pull yourself along those until you get there! And Brent said to do what Nice Ikon-329E57 person said to do, and they said to do what you said to do, so I'll take your mark>> While she does that it chattily adds <<I've been in existence for 24792811 seconds. Brent takes GREAT care of me! Brent says I'm his best sprite. Oh you put dead data on me, that is kind of ugly, but it is what I was supposed to allow. Let's go now, I won't go too quickly because I know non-resonance beings can't see their way through the matrix very well.>>

Meanwhile in meatspace, Chet was headed back to the back room, but commented back to Mato "My family went horse riding up in the mountains one time, they said we had to be careful of bears. But I've never heard of one in the city. Well, not in Bellevue anyway. Did you make a rug out of its skin? Brent finds all sorts of cool simsense stuff and he said in this one the POV character made love on a bearskin rug and you could feel each hair. I don't know if it was true or he was exaggerating to make it seem even cooler. Brent's a good guy but he wants to make an impression and that is hard when you have barely left the house this years except for school. And coming here too, I guess."

Back in the matrix, Peshtigo moved painfully slowly until Gilge assured it that it could go faster that that. Soon they achieved a solid sort of speed, bouncing through the urban matrix mesh until they reached a major matrix node at the University of Seattle. From there Peshtigo moved along a busy but comparatively noisy path that took them to a SATMAX satellite. From there the path went to a Tornado spewing out data. AM Peshtigo flew through it without difficulty, but AM immediately discovered that she couldn't track her mark anymore. Worse, when she tried passing through it it first started chewing up the integrity of her PAN, and then she just seemed to get stuck, her coherent PAN feeling like it was just too big and solid to fit through a narrow passage, or something like that.
Gilga
AM listens to Peshtigo and is a bit astonished that the sprite is in existence for nearly a year. It implies that he'll still be in existence in the coming hours or days or so she hopes. She has no idea how technomancy works, and what are the rules and limitations. These are very rare to encounter. She follows the mysterious entity to the best of her ability, feeling a bit sluggish because she is in AR, but she'll move to VR once the kids finish debating and they can settle on the price.

"Of course, it would not be easy" she shrugs, and then she watches the signals going in and out of the strange device very carefully and tries to find some weakness that can be exploited.
[ Spoiler ]
Tecumseh
"The bear was in Redmond," Mato says. "Gangers like exotic animals. They're status symbols. Hell hounds are popular.

"I did not make a rug out of its skin."
Mato pauses, wondering if this is a great idea or something bizarre that rich people do. "You respect your adversary. Let your scars be your trophies."

Mato isn't sure if he believes this or not. He is, for example, somewhat kicking himself that he didn't pinch Katya's ruthenium polymer cloak. But, in fairness, the thought never crossed his mind. So does he believe what he just said? Maybe, maybe not, but it sounds like the kind of thing you'd expect a badass to say. He chalks it up as more marketing.

"Who is Penumbra?" he asks.
Jack_Spade
"I can't recommend fragging around on a bear's back. Bear fur is actually pretty coarse. You'd have to want it pretty rough."
Bobby grinned at Mato: "But Mato knows best - after all he really has intimate knowledge about how getting hands on with a bear feels."
Beta
As he splits off to his seat, Chet points out one of the other teenagers -- a tall boy still in the gawky teen phase -- and mutters "that's 'Penumbra'. Things he's so edgy. But his parents own a big chunk or Auburn or something, so he thinks there money should make him in charge here."

Once everyone is sitting back down, Seraphina says "I think we are close. Your payment plan is acceptable, but for a hundred thousand we want a bit more. Three things more, actually. One: some answers. You find out if the people holding him are doing it on their own or for someone else, and then either why or who is calling the shots. At least as much as is feasible. Two, when you bring Brent back you provide up to 24 hours of security, until he can arrange any additional security that he should get. And three you give us -- Brent and us here -- two hours of training on what you think we should know about keeping ourselves safe. We all thought we'd been taught that, but obviously we aren't perfect, and once people see that one of the students at our school was vulnerable they might target others. No cheap 'shoot-em, loot-'em, drop Brent off at the bus station' job for that sort of money." On that last sentence she is clearly quoting someone else, with a different speech cadence and manner.

[ Spoiler ]

Peshtigo pops back <<I'm back, miss me? Brent sent this info>> he sends some detailed information about Brent's side of the connections <<Brent says we are getting close to how long the opening was last time, he doesn't know if the window is constant. Also he fell asleep for a bit between these two openings so he might have missed another window, he isn't sure. But if you need to get any information to or from him to do it soon.>>

Meanwhile AM has been reviewing the data that she had gathered. The anonymizer might be hackable (rating 7 device), and it appears to be supporting 4 agents, all spoofing the data going through, along with some custom hardware to limit just what goes through. But with the depth of data that AM pulled from the device she gets a good look at the iconagraphy, which is quite distinctive. No dull, standardized, corporate work, but rather full of color, chrome, and a style that could maybe be called graffiti-punk. Further she's similar styles used a couple of places in Seattle that she knows have systems built by the Reality Hackers gang.

Jack_Spade
"Don't worry, we aren't in the habit of doing things half-assed. Protective custody is a given. Also we have just the connection for that training.
The only thing we can't promise you are the answers. If we have to decide between getting Brent out save and snooping around, we'll get Brent out first and don't look back until we have him somewhere save."

Bobby replied.
Gilga
AM agrees with Bobby with non verbal cues but adds "We would make an effort to figuring out who they are, can we agree that Bernt is enough to satisfy the job, but we will do our best to uncover what we can about the kidnappers and share with you what we learned?"

She texts the team notifying them about the annonimizer, which is difficult but not impossible to hack, and about Reality hackers asking what they know about them..
Tecumseh
Mato doesn't say much at this point, instead lost in his thoughts about the potential Reality Hackers connection.

He still thinks this is a sloppy job and half-expects to find a pack of ambitious teenager bullies holding Brent. These kids here were hackers, right? (Well, more of a hacker than Mato is.) It doesn't seem that outlandish that there could be a teen with a dash of magical ability who could sterilize the hair sample. It's also unclear if the hair is even Brent's.

And what of the Reality Hackers' involvement? The fact that Peshtigo is here suggests that Brent's captors don't know that he's a technomancer. Would the Reality Hackers even participate if they knew Brent was a techno? Mato doubts it.

<<I think the Reality Hackers are just contract workers in this scenario>> Mato comms, providing his reasoning. <<I can imagine them arranging for the anonymizer on a freelance basis. This fits with their business model, as I understand it.>>

<<Depending on the results of the trace, it could be worth "talking" to them.>>

Mato doesn't really want to brawl. The Reality Hackers are cyber-enthusiasts and he can appreciate that. But they enjoy a good scrap (which Mato can also appreciate) and might like to test themselves, cybermano-a-cybermano. If so... so be it.
Jack_Spade
Bobby replied via the telepathic connection:
'I had some brushes with the Reality Hackers and I agree: Those guys are more likely to hire the kid then to go into abduction and ransoming - especially since those guys would have first checked to see where the parents are.
Well, at least we can be sure that the Yakuza isn't involved. The RH have a major hate boner for the Yaks. But they do collaborate sometimes with the Seolpa. Those fellows might have some dim talent that could try such an operation.
The RH are hanging out usually at a warehouse at the Puyallup River. Combination of headquarters and nightclub.
They serve a rather nice Kimchi.'
Tecumseh
<<Oo, kimchi!>>

A slurp of milkshake.

<<Seoulpa Rings means two options: Komun'go Ring or Chosun Ring.>>

<<Komun'go would be my preference, since they're half Amerind. Lots of Haida; would be a shame to not have Jawsey along for that. Komun'go are unlikely though, as they're more about pleasures of the flesh.>>

<<Chosun Ring would make more sense, since they're big into hacking, cybercrime, etc. A more natural affinity for the Reality Hackers, anyway.>>

<<But we're getting ahead of ourselves. Let's wrap up here, figure out what AM can trace, and then move on from there.>>

More milkshake. Getting down now, to the point where the whipped cream is coming up through the straw. Delicious, not nutritious.
Beta
One of the boys -- the one Mato had pointed out as 'Penumbra' -- interjects "Fine, we'll take your lovely deal. We're apparently 'not the sort who will abandon a friend just because it is difficult', and we don't have time to frag around. Congratulations, you've managed to out negotiate a bunch of high school students, I'm sure you are all proud of yourselves. " This results in some stares between him and Seraphina, but after a few moments she snaps "Yes, we agree to the deal, enough to get Brent's agreement." A couple of others look pale at the size of commitment they've just agreed to, but nobody objects.

Seraphina apparently gives a message to Peshtigo, because the sprite vanishes from the matrix again. A minute later he's back and confirms <<Brent says 'Ouch, but OK.' Any more messages before I go back to him again?>>
Jack_Spade
"Did you expect to get kisses on your butt? Welcome to the adult world, where good sevice costs you and the essentials are more expensive than the luxuries."
Bobby replied to the snotty kid.

<<Tell him to try and find cover if he hears any signs of an altercation. It might be us.>>
Tecumseh
Bobby gives the answer that Mato was thinking. Bobby just delivers it in a Bobbified way, in Bobby-speak.

"You're in the big leagues now," Mato agrees, rather more soberly than Bobby.

"If you don't want to deal with authorities then you deal with the private sector. If you want cheap then hire gangers, but you might as well throw your credsticks in the lake. If you want results, you pay for professionals. Professionals who won't blackmail you or backstab you or flip the table on you. That's us."

More marketing, but it's true. The kid doesn't have to like it. He can play his "helpless teen" card and SIS can ignore it. Rich kids from Bellevue are not to be pitied. Mato doesn't intend to exploit them, but nor is he giving any free samples.

<<Peshtigo, does Brent know anything about his surroundings? Indoors or outdoors? Small room or large? How often do they check on him? What are they giving him for food and water? Is he relieving himself outside or in a bathroom? Sleeping on a bed or a cot or the floor? Any details that might indicate what sort of situation he is in could help us find him when we get close.>>
Gilga
AM grins when the club accepts the commitment, and when Penumbra objects she only takes a serious look at his face. Once the men finish with their egos and macho - she declares.

"Here is a bonus for you, hacker club, I am going to try and trace Bernt right here, right now. You'll be able to watch me in action, perhaps learn a few tricks or even help me. The problem is a bleeding-edge anonymizer, R7 custom-made piece of hardware with additional agents, needless to say, my equipment is a lot more modest but I'll be super quiet and sneaky and hopefully, this monstrosity would not find me. I will go in a hot simulation to maximize my speed, and chance of survival. Sadly, there is also a risk of physical injury or brain damage, but I knew it was not going to be easy when we signed up for this job.

Now, you know the basics, while this anonymizer is top-notch its security has a limited capacity. Three agents to be exact, and basically, if the agents are busy with you then they aren't searching for me. You come in AR, you disengage if anything hostile comes your way, and if your link is damaged I will fix it once we finish the job. If you want a hardware lesson, I'll let you help me fix it. This is your moment to show some skills for Bernt, and experience a real matrix job

Before entering, AM takes a brief second to pray to Iktomi, and with Trouble's help augment her mental facilities to the maximum possible. She augments her logic and intuition and asks Trouble to sustain the improved intuition for her for a little while. Unpleasant for him, but she is risking her neck and would need any help she can use. Satisfied with the results, she configures her deck for maximum sleaze and go into hot simulation leading a bunch of script kiddies and following a sprite - who would have thought. She can feel the excitement going in her veins and is vaguely aware that what she is trying is dangerous. It makes her feel alive, and most importantly she hopes it will shut Penumbra up... she is risking her life for their money the least they could do is appreciate it regardless of the exact cost.

Once everyone is in position, AM attempts to get past the anonymizer, her overclocked decked is pushed to the limits by stealth programs. "Here goes nothing" she thinks and then Trouble, just in case I do not make it out, know that I love you. AM approaches the anonymizer and waits for an opportunity to sneak past it. Opportunity quickly shows itself, an internal glitch for a brief second - but it only takes a brief second for her to mark the anonymizer and disappear. (hack and go silent running). Surprised that she actually got the mark, the brave decker begins with the tracing effort hoping to finish before she is discovered.

>>Got a mark, now I need to remain hidden long enough to make the trace.

[ Spoiler ]
Beta
The agents don't immediately react to AM placing a mark, in fact they don't even react to a few hacker club icons taunting them -- they seem to be busy anonymizing data flowing through the device. Which isn't to say that one of them might not check for marks or implement a defensive protocal any millisecond now ...

AM has a mark, now what does she do?
Gilga
Having a mark on the anonymizer, means that the device acknoledges her as a legitimate user. AM looks for a way to move herself to some sort of an exclusion list which would allow her to trace Bernt without having her signals being anonymized.
[ Spoiler ]

Beta
Normal matrix operation is that all devices pass along data to neighboring devices, while being totally agnostic as to what that matrix data is. The anonymizer isn't passing along any data in the usual way, but seems to still accept data, letting data come to it so that the agents can spoof it, and pass it along without any traceability to the data's original source. Assuming that it was not built from absolute scratch, the anonymizer must have instructions somewhere that let it override usual matrix device behavior.

[ Spoiler ]

Once she has some idea of what she is looking for, AM finds it quickly. She can tell that it is encrypted.

While AM was settling in to her hack, Peshtigo responds to Mato with <<I'll go ask!>> Before anyone can say anything the sprite disappears again, but fortunately re-appears about a dozen seconds later. It provides <<Brent had the information ready! He's in a room maybe 5 steps by 6, it doesn't have any windows so is dark and he can't see much. The walls and floor are wood, and he hears rain on the roof quite loudl. He says it is pretty cold, he doesn't think it is meant to be used in the Winter. He says they gave him enough blankets to stay warm enough. He says the floor makes noise when you walk on it, 'kind of boomy or echoing sometimes', and he thinks he's heard three different people by the noise they make walking. They seem to know where he is even with the door shut, and they tell him to go stand against the far wall with his hands against the wall when they bring food in, and don't let him move until the door is shut again. Same with a chemical toilet that they drag in occasionally. He says he falls asleep a lot, he isn't quite sure why. He hears nature sounds he thinks, wind in trees, running water.>>
Tecumseh
Mato scowls slightly. He makes sure the others have Peshtigo's response.

<<Is Brent being held in a tree house?>> he wonders to the rest of the team. This is half in jest.

Mato thinks about what he knows about architecture. He studied it a bit, specifically residential architecture, after his time at Pike Hall.

<<Could be a log cabin in the woods>> he muses. <<They're often elevated off the ground, which could produce the echoing footsteps. You just have a foundation around the perimeter - under the load-bearing logs - or up on periodically-spaced posts, like a pier. Something about ground movement, frost lines? I don't know. Easier than pouring a full foundation out in the middle of the woods, that's for sure.>>

<<Sounds like the could be sedating him. Could be something over-the-counter, mixed in with his food. We might have to carry him out.>>
Gilga
"Aha... the control file. All I need to slightly modify its configuration." AM thinks at the team and for herself. (I think she is mentally linked to Bobby). Very carefully she forces herself to observe the file carefully looking for all possible protections, there shouldn't be a data bomb on such a file - but whom to say that Reality hackers follow regular security protocols so she carefully looks and assumes nothing. She can feel the massive adrenaline surges in her veins and she feels alive perhaps because deep down she really enjoys it or perhaps because Iktomi is augmenting her mental capacities.

AM begins working the file once she is certain what defenses there are, she will disable a databomb if she finds it - and then go to remove the file's protection, and then edit the file to facilitate the trace.
Jack_Spade
'Cabin could be, but I think more shed - a farm in rural environment - with a tin roof. Something like a wood storage with a wiremesh around for a Farraday cage. Would explain the sparse matrix environment.
Yeah, sounds like he is drugged regularly. We should ask what he gets to eat and drink. If it's water, the drugs are likely in the food. Can't hide the taste otherwise. If it's soda, they are pretty certainly dissolved there. In either case, the boy should look if he can stop eating and drinking.'

Bobby thought to Mato, so he wouldn't distract AM.
Beta
The code was complex, but AM sliced through it skillfully, peeling out the parts that overrode the usual matrix protocols. She had a suspicion that the device was entirely illegal and that GOD would frown at it, if it was brought to their attention -- but that in hacking it she had returned it to legal operating condition.

Once that was done she was able to pass through the device. Just then Peshtigo zoomed into the locality and enthused <<I felt something ... oh you made this so much better! Come, I'll take you to Brent now!>> The sprite led her down a very tenuous data trail that felt a bit like hopping from ledge to ledge along the side of a cliff, only in this case from node to node on the side of a fearsome host. Fortunately after just a few hops she saw the persona that must be Brent. Perhaps as importantly, with her mark on Peshtigo she is able to get Brent's location picked out.
Gilga
"Praise Iktomi" AM thinks when the code suddenly clicks and she can again move freely past the anonymizer - as if two parts of the matrix are now connected again. She is happy that Peshtigo did not keep too far away and happily follows it to the best of her ability - being much faster in hot simulation. She feels like a superheroine jumping from one building to the next, like her friend can do in the physical world. Iktomi's web is majestic, and she feels free, and alive, and invisible, and happy. "I got a location! Write it down... pink, and briefly after when Bobby is ready 47.6924° N, 121.9147° W.... I'll let Bernt know that we are coming, anything I should tell him? she thinks to Bobby.

Jack_Spade
"Tell him to stop eating and drinking what they give him. Also he might get visited by some kind of animal. If he feels strange magic working on him he should not resist but give in to the transformation. We can get him out as a mouse or a roach."
Bobby transmitted back through the mindlink.
Gilga
When she reaches Bernt, she wipes some metaphorical sweat off her forehead and briefly says "We are coming to free you, hang in there! She pauses a little bit and says You may be visited by some animal, and your rescue may involve magic. So if you feel a spell beginning to change you into a small animal try not to fight it. Also, it would be best if you avoid eating and drinking what they give you, keep you alert and responsive when we come for you.
Beta
Brent's persona and Peshtigo came close for long moments before Brent responded to AM's message. <<I didn't understand what Peshtigo was saying at first, that he brought someone. How did you get here?>> The message was a bit jumpy, but AM isn't sure if that is due to the very thin matrix thread that she is supporting herself on, or if Brent is loopy from drugs. <What's that about an animal? I don't understand>>

[ Spoiler ]
Gilga
AM responds "Keep an open mind, try not to eat or drink, we are coming for you soon.". but the line is so bad, that little go through. It is better to talk to him through Peshtigo. She concludes, and get back switching to AR, and heading back.
Jack_Spade
Bobby entered the coordinates on his own device and nodded. "I can find that. You two get the car. I'll fly ahead and scout out the place - and if necessary I'll remove Brent from the situation. We don't know how long it will take for them to notice they were compromised, so speed is of the essence. Bring my bag too. You can send trouble with me on the astral, can you? Also a little speedboost would be quite nice. Supersonic Otherwise I won't be able to contact you.
Damn, where is Jawsey when you need him.
Oh and open the door for me."

Dropping the mental connection, Bobby went to the bathroom, removed his jacket and shirt and concentrated on his transformation into a barn owl.

[ Spoiler ]
Tecumseh
"We have a lead," Mato announces to the teenagers as he stands. "We'll be in touch."

He walks back to the car with AM and Bobby, striding purposefully.

"Are you sure you want to fly on ahead?" he asks Bobby. "If they have a magician then they'll probably have spirit cover. A spirit will see right through your transformation, and it's going to be double suspicious if you show up with Trouble. That could trip the alarm too."

He motions to himself and AM.

"We can't follow as quickly. We'll either need to get visas to cross the border - and who knows if they're available this late on a Friday - or we'll need to smuggle ourselves across the border. Either way takes some time."

Mato debates whether he wants to go home and change first so that he's not stomping through the woods in his suit. Although, he does admit, the Chasseur Field Uniform was designed for outdoor conditions like these. Plus the long coat is super-insulated and plenty warm, which would be welcome in the snowy mountains. He turns to AM.

"I'm fine with what I'm wearing and what I have with me, but do you need to go home to change? You can use the Walther if you want a sidearm."
Jack_Spade
"Positive. I can deal with spirits - especially if I notice them before they notice me. There are lots of awakened critters out there and even a spirit will have to focus on me to spot and identify me. But I don't trust Brent to play it cool. If the kidnappers realize he had contact with someone, they'll either kill him and cut their losses, or they'll relocate. We don't have any time to waste. I can hide out with the boy until you can come and get us, but I can't raise him from the dead."

Bobby replied.
Tecumseh
Mato shrugs. He doesn't really understand the limits of Bobby's capabilities. He half-expected Bobby to fly there, drug Brent himself, transform the boy into a hamster, then fly back to Seattle with Hamster-Brent clutched in his talons.

Would the hamster freeze to death while flying at supersonic speeds? Would Bobby? How can you even breathe at those velocities? Wouldn't the windspeeds really screw up your eyes? There's so much Mato doesn't really grasp about magic.
Gilga
"Show is over hacker club. Thanks for your distraction." she says and grins, her cheeks and long ears are blushed from the excitement, this is the most fun she had in years, and she is a bit more manic than she would allow herself to normal be. Her smile is genuine happiness and not a subtle attempt to get a friendlier response.

She feels secure enough to speak business only once she seats behind the wheel.I am kind of terrified of border guards, or anyone with a SIN scanner. I feel like I commit some felony simply by existing. No matter the quality of the visa itself, they would scan my SIN - and it is a fake SIN so they mind discovering it is fake. Without any civil rights, and no country or cooperation backing me up, I am not sure if I'll even end up in prison or they'll just murder me to cut down on costs.

Visa is also very bad for us because I do not have a gun permit - and the deck is so illegal that the Mafia does not even make permits for cyberdecks. If they find the deck they'll arrest us. So Visa is of little use except to bring clothes, and in that case, we can perhaps just levitate the equipment across the border once Bobby transfers us to the other side.

The more I think of it, only professional smuggling or rouge magic to cross the border with illegal equipment. Visa is just not good enough considering we have Bobby. It let us bring protective clothes but not much more than that.

I can come up with some idea of how to cross the border with my magic but I am not sure how dangerous it is. I was not capable of such feats before I had Trouble, so I never had the temptation to pull out a Bobby and go places.

AM responds "... We can fly too - although slower than Bobby. We can go to the mountains, make the car invisible and levitate it across the border - or if Iktomi is not willing to let me lift the whole car then we can just take its back seat and levitate that across the border. You know like witches with broomsticks only with seat belts so we do not fall down. [
Perhaps less risky is to place our equipment bundled together in a place I have line of sight to, and levitate that across the border if we're caught they only take the equipment.

She comments and then explains Now levitation is slow but with Trouble's help -we can move like five times faster which makes us like 20 miles per hour, faster if I push myself and risk a minor injury. We'll need to see if it makes sense given the topography of the border.

Once we are on the other side, if we do not have a car, then we have you and you are as fast as a car. You can piggyback me or something. Uncomfortable, but we won't be behind Bobby by a lot - and if he has problems we will be around to help him.

She then looks at him skeptically "I'll need a gun even if I am not dressed up for the woods... but you actually brought a gun to Bellevue? I would not have dared to leave Redmond with a gun. I don't mind going directly if this is the case."

She allows the autopilot to load and makes some preliminary searches about the coordinates she discovered as they speak. Sometimes making a small hand gesture to move some icon in AR.
Jack_Spade
"That sounds pretty risky. All things considered you'd be better off asking some of your contacts if they can help you out. There a loads of Coyotes out there for just that service.
But I'm confident you can sort this out."

Bobby replied looking around for Trouble and their movement magic.
Gilga
okay, we'll keep the broomsticks for Halloween, but the two of you can cross the border legally as Sioux citizens, and you can bring the car. So the problem is limited to bringing the deck and myself across the borders. Considering you have licenses for the guns.
Beta
As the team returns to their car, Seraphina contacts them <<Peshtigo didn't come back again, we had him going back and forth, trying to explain to Brent what is going on, and after a couple more trips he didn't come back. MaxWell was tracking time, and says that the duration between first seeing Peshtigo and Peshtigo not coming back was about the same the first time we got contact and this time. MaxWell was quick to point out 'two data points are not a pattern' but I think it sounds like maybe there is a fixed window every few hours where we can get matrix contact>>

Some quick searching confirms that for Sioux citizens no formal visa is needed to enter Salish-Sidhe lands. They do have to explain the purpose of their visit and expected duration, and explicitly log in their commlink which they are supposed to keep active at all times ('so that emergency services can notify them of dangerous situations in their vicinity').

Going through the data from AM's earlier searches, they find that the best available satellite photos of the area are fairly crude, not coming from the usual atlas of good quality earth scans, possibly explained by the presence of a Salish-Sidhe military base, or possibly by the Aztechnology compound. The shortage of matrix devices lowered the precision AM's trace; the best AM could tell was that the nearest matrix device was on the edge of the Aztechnology property, probably part of their security along the edge of the property.

There was another possibility, however. The dividing line between those two properties is a river, and upstream a small distance is the "Wild Orc Recreation Ranch." It is an outdoor recreation ranch with a good reputation. A search on it reveals that it runs quite a few activities, such as horseback riding, zip-lining, hiking, and -- more relevant to the case at hand -- white-water rafting.

A quick study of the map reveals that the rafting must be down the river between the military and Aztechnology facilities. There are extensive reviews of the rafting, and there is mention of an island part way down the route where beginner runs pull off the river to rest and re-focus "the only place along the course where the guides allow non-emergency stopping." There is also mention of a building on the island, used to store extra supplies, first-aid gear, picnic gear, and the like. Based on the information, the island seems to be in just about exactly the location that AM found in her trace.

Rafting is closed for the winter, it won't re-open until March -- although there is a review by somebody who did a 'special charter' run in February two years ago, so there may be the occasional exception to that rule. But in general, it would seem that nobody should be stopping by that island at the moment. How the kidnappers would have gotten there is a question, but certainly it would qualify as remote, hard to trace, and hard to access, which might be something they were looking for.

Tecumseh
"The Americar has a smuggling compartment," Mato reminds AM. "I'm confident we can get a cyberdeck across, and the Walther too.

"The question is whether you want to go across in the glove compartment or whether you want to fly your broomstick over and get picked up on the other side."

He continues: "I can drive across; I just need a cover story. White water rafting won't do it. Nor will a business trip, not on a Friday evening. A ski trip could work, or snow camping, although it would be best if I had some winter gear to look the part.

"We also need to consider our return strategy. We should expect more scrutiny on the way back into the UCAS. Having a drugged-up Brent is going to look suspicious. Perhaps Bobby can carry him back, but can Bobby transform himself, Brent, and AM simultaneously? He wouldn't want to lose concentration at the wrong time."
Jack_Spade
"Maintaining three spells is no trouble. I have a technique to reduce the strain. But we don't have to overdo it.
Remember, we are a legitimate business. We can tell them our destination and that we are taking a look at the area for a client. If they ask why, we can tell them that it's a missing person case and that the last communication came from there. Nothing particularly noteworthy or suspicious about it.
And as I said, I can wait with transforming until we have crossed the border, so I can keep AM on my person and shield her with my aura. I can do likewise on the way back. Also, I can take care of the deck and hide it on me - I'm pretty adapt at hiding and pilfering stuff.
On our return trip we do the same + the boy."

Bobby replied.
Gilga
AM says "I like that missing person story because it is true. Easier to tell the truth than to lie, and the best lies are 90% truthful. We'll take the Americar, we may need the smuggling space. I'll let you guys figure it out, I need to refine our coordinates and make some corrections. "

She enters hot simulation and her awareness level of the chat is gone and begins viewing satellite images to try and match the exact location. She identifies the locations of interest, the military base, and the research facility, and then researches about the rafting. Few minutes later, she emerges out and explains her findings to the team, as well as sending their links some maps, and the most detailed image of the island she could find. Which is sadly not very detailed due to the military base nearby.

"All things considered, I think he is on that island. The crossing is no problem for us, the area is sensitive because there is a research facility of Aztecnology and a military base in the vicinity so we'll have to try and not alarm their security as well. All things considered, it is a nice place to hide him. Do we want to check the cameras in Bernt's house? to see how they got him?

[ Spoiler ]
Tecumseh
Mato is uncertain about the strategy of being transparent about their intentions. Yes, they are a legitimate service - and Mato has the tax bill to prove it - but it seems like a strange approach if the whole goal is surprise. The Rangers at the border aren't especially known for being corruptible, but how secure are their systems? Would someone who has taken over a strong Aztechnology host also have a seed planted in the SSC systems, looking for warnings about the site? Or would Aztechnology? To Mato it seems like they would be tipping their hand.

"I still think snow camping might be the better story," Mato says, outlining his reasons. "It doesn't seem like announcing our intentions - approaching an extraterritorial research facility or, worse, an SSC military base - would be prudent.

"Let's not worry about Brent's house. We can worry about that when we do a security consultation for them afterward."
Jack_Spade
"Well, we don't have to declare exactly the place with the research sites. We say one half way there and if anyone asks, we reply that that's where the trail led us. Snow camping has the inherent question why we want to go near there - and it sound much more like spying than telling the truth. I'm not a good liar - and those border guards are well trained and use even better empathy soft than you.
Much easier to tell them the direction we are going than the destination.
If you have time to kill during the drive and reception, you can try to extract the records, but let's not spend precious hours for something we will find out shortly anyway once Brent's link comes back up."

Bobby replied to his colleagues questions.
Gilga
AM says "Bernt is not the only missing person in the world, and most of our works as SIS are very small. So I don't think it is tipping our hand. You can be scarce with the details saying you came to do PI work, they'll imagine you are trying to get a photograph of some cheating husband on a business trip or something like that. Only tell them it is a missing person case if they further question you. "
Tecumseh
"Alright," Mato agrees hesitantly. "Let's go see how far expensive suits and a fancy AR business card can get us."

He considers the Americar. It is, in many ways, the perfect car for private investigators. Reliable, economical, not fast or sexy. If you need to ferry metahumans from point A to point B, a Ford Americar is probably the most straightforward and anonymous way to do so. That's what they want now.

But the interior is nice. When they bought it they paid for high amenities, the better to convey a certain degree of professionalism and success. Hopefully that echoes the effect of the suits.

"Let's get out of Bellevue before we get ready," he suggests. "There are some wilderness areas of Renton - right before the border - where we can get our game faces on."

Mato takes the lead in driving out of Bellevue. It's slower than usual due to Friday evening traffic.

Driving east on Highway 90, the two sides of the road are remarkably different. To the right, pleasant A- and B-rated neighborhoods forming the north end of Renton. Commuter neighborhoods, safe and secure. To the left, E-rated industrial zones forming the south end of Redmond.

"That's Monohan Vehicles over there," Mato says, pointing to a factory on the left. It's illuminated like a prison yard. "The manufacture various electric vehicles for Chrysler-Nissan there. Fortified walls. Raw materials are usually flown into the factory while finished vehicles take the the short trip out of the district in protected convoys." He raises his eyebrows. "Not a good place to be after dark." Which it is now.

Instead, Mato turns off at Highway 18, right before the border. It runs along the border fence and looks like a mountain road, cutting through tall evergreen trees and the foothills of the Cascades. He pulls onto a dirt road, away from the fence, onto a holiday tree farm. Opening the door, chill mountain air fills the Americar.

"Let's load up the smuggling compartment," he says. "Time to pick your form, AM."
Gilga
"The embarrassing moment of course" Nervously, but without bitterness, she says "A cat, I'll relate more to Trouble that way" she carefully takes out her clothes and places them neatly in the car. The underclothes are a bit like ripping a mental bandage, perhaps a gender thing, perhaps a body image thing. She does it quickly and places the underclothes on top of her pile. She seats in the front passenger seat hugging her legs. "Praise the Trickster, I am ready" she says, excited, vulnerable, a bit afraid, but mostly cold.
Jack_Spade
Bobby didn't wait around to oggle AM - living in the same flat had long ago removed practically any mystery anyway - especially if you, as Bobby liked to do took the form of a chinchilla to chill on the main sofa.
Now it was just a question of glancing at her and the next moment her form rippled and shrunk down to a very tiny cat.
Carefully he picked her up and wrapped her into his hoody that still lay on the backseat.
"Best keep still and silent while we cross"
Gilga
AM drowns in a sea of emotions and thoughts when her body is transformed for the very first time. There was an embarrassing moment of trying to stay decent with temperature, nakedness, and tight quarters of the car that limit her movements. Still, perhaps the most embarrassing moment would be to be transformed into a human and find herself crawling on four fully naked. How Bobby is so at peace with his body, she cannot comprehend. The transformation moment is very uncomfortable as if for a brief moment, she is without a form, but she is a tiny kitten in the next moment.

Very strange, visual signals are slightly off, and mainly the perspective is different. She sees very little now the windows are up there, and Bobby is barely recognizable as a complete entity but rather his hand or hoody. When he speaks, deafening would be too much but the voice is much louder than she expected it to be. Perhaps a combination of being small and having better than normal earing. She jumps from surprise stumbling in her unfamiliar body. Then when she tries to answer him, nothing much happens. Her mouth opens, but it refuses to do what her brain orders it. She cannot speak, of course, meowing is possible, but somehow it feels even more embarrassing. Instead, she wiggles her tail, not intentionally she is surprised even to have a tail and can move it. It just feels like something that happens when she is nervous. After the initial failure talking, AM does not try to walk knowing that success is far from guaranteed. She instead snugs her head in the soft fabric, and lets go of her body. Then she makes a mental curse about her keen sense of smell, meaning that she can now smell things that she did not smell before about the fabric. She closes her eyes, waiting for the experience to be over and trying to be as peaceful as she can. Things are too complicated for her to worry about the run at this particular time - her part of the plan is to keep it together in cat form.
Tecumseh
Mato likes cats and must suppress his insticts to pet the kitty, as AM might take this the wrong way.

Mato thought that AM would turn into a gerbil or a hamster or something. Something small that could be put in the pocket or the glove compartment. Or a tarantula? That would make sense for Iktomi, wouldn't it?

"What if there's an astral scan?" he asks Bobby. "What if they have a spirit sniff around the car?"

He stows AM's clothes, cyberdeck, and his Walther in the Americar's smuggling compartment.
Jack_Spade
"Auras do extend only a certain amount - the spirit would have to move through the car to find her. But that usually only happens if the guards already suspect that you are hiding something. If that happens, I try to draw their attention to me. Don't worry I can appear pretty interesting on the astral. Always remember, we aren't going to lie about anything. We keep it short and sweet. We are both first nation and we have legitimate business. Also, take out the papers from the glovebox, because we'll have to stash AM there once we reach the post. That should mask her aura completely even if an aware is looking into the car."
Bobby answered with confidence. It appeared that he truly wasn't concerned about getting caught for smuggling.
Beta
As they approach the border the team receives the expected ARO outlining rules and procedures and where to go -- just to leave the UCAS. Apparently the SINs don't raise any trouble as they are allowed to drive out of the UCAS without being stopped. A whole new set of ARO greet them in no-man's land. Fortunately they are easy enough to obey, so they provide SINs, vehicle identification, and category of trip then move to the assigned waiting slot.

With the light traffic it is only a few minutes before they sitting in a clearing lane, windows down, in the centre of a ring of cameras and who-knows-what-all-other detection gear. In the matter of bureaucracy and law enforcement everywhere the voice starts with the information already provided "Names, nationalities, and purpose of trip?"

Meanwhile AM finds that her nervousness keeps wanting to express itself as a swishing tail and loud purring.

[ Spoiler ]

A
Tecumseh
Mato makes sure that his commlink is broadcasting his real SIN. While he's waiting in line, he looks around at the other cars. Many of them are families of corpers in their Rover Model 2072s, Ares Humvees, and Toyota Coasters. Rich folks off for rich folk recreation, liking a weekend of skiing. He's not envious or bitter - Mato grew up in a family like that - but he wonders if posing as corpers might have been better cover.

"Miguel Ángel Torres and Robert Walker," Mato says, feeling slightly strange for saying and hearing the names out loud. "We're Sioux nationals."

He feels smooth and confident. Is it the suit?

"We are licensed private investigators." Mato provides the relevant licenses along with information for SIS. "We're here on business. We expect it to be a short visit, less than 24 hours."
Tecumseh
double post
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012