Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Found Arcana - Chapter 8 [OOC]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Tecumseh
Here’s what you currently know about your neighborhood: https://stormy-waters-2075.obsidianportal.c...is/touristville

Here’s our shared lifestyle: https://stormy-waters-2075.obsidianportal.c...gative-services

Chapter 1: Sunday, September 18, 2078
Chapter 2: Monday, September 26, 2078
First Interlude: Saturday, October 1, 2078
Chapter 3: Monday, October 10, 2078
Second Interlude: Sunday, October 16, 2078
Chapter 4: Sunday, November 6, 2078
Third Interlude: Wednesday, November 23, 2078
Chapter 5: Thursday, November 24, 2078
Fourth Interlude: Sunday, November 27, 2078
Chapter 6: Thursday, December 22, 2078
Fifth Interlude: Sunday, January 1, 2079
Chapter 7: Friday, January 20, 2079
Sixth Interlude: Wednesday, February 1, 2079
Chapter 8: Sunday, February 5, 2079
Jack_Spade
Link to Bobby's character sheet
Tecumseh
Composure checks are a good idea; I should have thought of that. The Battle Hardened quality applies, for those who have it.

Gilga is probably RPing this about right; AM is able to function but is pretty scattered.

I'll note that AM's hit came on the final die. So if she only had 9 dice she'd be a puddle on the floor right now, but luckily she has 10 and is still upright.
Jack_Spade
Oh right, totally forgot that I bought that in the second interlude (and somehow missed to transfer it to the quality list)

Just because, I'm rolling it now too Battlehardened bonus die: 1d6t5 0

Gilga
I'll give Jawsey have a chance to use his leadership skills or something, and one way or the other will post after Beta.
Tecumseh
Leadership (Direct) from Jawsey is a great idea.
Beta
Rolls:
Composure (includes battle hardened 1): composure: 14d6t5 5
Leadership: leadership: 13d6t5 5

About first aid: Jawsey has a skill of 1 (pool of 6), so with our first-aid kit might do Mato some good? But as I said IC, getting a heal spell on him quickly may be a more useful plan? Feel free to disagree.
Gilga
The medkit would give +6 if we have the good kind, and Jawsey can use edge while the kit does not, and he can get 1 more dice from teamwork, and four more dice from improved logic. So I think he is better than the kit.
Jack_Spade
First Aid will have a -4 mod due to bad condition (street) -2 and -1 per two full lost essence points.

Healing spell has to content with -6 due to Mato's extreme essence loss.

With those mods on your rolls, you lose 3 successes. But six successes is still nothing to sneeze at and should bring Mato out of overflow territory (Redliner quality reduces the number of health boxes Mato would normally gain from heaving artificial limbs)
Gilga
So assuming I already took -2 (wasn't near books), how many hits on the stabilize with first aid?
Jack_Spade
The stabilize test keeps all 5 successes as the last two rolls weren't hits anyway.
Tecumseh
Working against a deadline so I'll keep this short with an IC post later today.

Jack has it correct: the First Aid roll will stabilize Mato and the Heal casting will take care of his Overflow.

We'll skip Gilga's Edge reroll (so AM still has that point of Edge) because I'm going to rule - for narrative purposes - that there's damage that can't be repaired with Heal, including damage to Mato's cyber. Mato will require longer-term medical care.

Having lived with Mato, you know that his street doc - Heather Huxley - is reputable(ish). Her offices are nearby in Touristville and are where Mato gets his cyberware serviced.
Gilga
@Tecumesh Fair enough, though I was wondering, are you planning to retire Mato? Or is it just the way to have him occupied for the chapter?

Jack_Spade
Incidentally: Casting Heal at high force is never worth it - it takes longer to become permanent that way. It's far more economic to use reagents in that case (or spend a point of edge beforehand to remove the limit).

@Tecumseh
I assume this is Mato's out for this mission. As he is the one with the olfactory booster, Bobby would ask to get the data from his headware, so he can ask that one member of the Red Hot Nukes (met and exchanged numbers at the Funhouse) about the composition and who likely built the bomb.

Also, Bobby's bear form has Enhanced Senses (Smell), so he'll try to remember what it smelled like exactly:
Perception (Smell) enhanced: 15d6t5 5
so he might recognize the bomb maker later.
Gilga
Well, I figured the entire house was rocked so she is not going to search for the reagents while Mato is bleeding. I'll lower the force if Tec approves or just use the edge on the drain roll to not start with 2 physical wink.gif
Jack_Spade
Bobby will gift AM a ring and an amulet for her birthday that hold a few drams of reagent for emergencies then wink.gif

btw: Bobby's birthday is coming up, as I just noticed: 22.2 (the thirtiest part of the number of the beast wink.gif )
Tecumseh
This is just KOing Mato for the chapter and forcing some unexpected changes on him.

Lowering the Force retroactively is okay. Narratively, there's a limit to how much Mato can be healed. The critical step was to stabilize him, either with a medkit or a trauma patch. The Heal spell gives him a bit of breathing room so that he's not on the brink of death, but doesn't put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Bobby gets a good whiff of what the explosives smell like and feels like he could identify this mixture again in the future.

Mato's olfactory boosters don't have wireless capabilities and so can't be hacked wirelessly. (This is curious; I thought they did have it so that scents could be compared to an online database, but that's not what the entry says.) I suppose a data cable could be stuck up his nose; he's in no position to object.

@gilga
Please roll Intuition + Demolitions. It is usually linked to Logic but I want Intuition in this case.

@All
This chapter is super sandbox-y. It could be very long or very short. There is no explicit job or mission; it's just to see how the PCs react to the events of the initial IC post.

Jack_Spade
Well, I have my mission statement - I'm toying with the idea of replacing my Impassive negative quality with the No-one Left Behind quality wink.gif

I'll leave the data cable thing up to the doctor biggrin.gif
Gilga
Int + demolition: 6d6t5 2
Tecumseh
Well this the first time I've seen the Kiai power too.

Pedestrian resist: Willpower + Logic: 5d6t5 1 hit

Dude takes off running.

AM will need to resist the effects too, although her boosted Logic will make that easier.

I'll leave it up to Beta to decide if Jawsey is within 8 meters or not.

I'll put what AM finds via Demolitions in my next IC post. FYI, I am traveling Tuesday and probably won't be able to post much if at all.
Gilga
resist Kiai: 14d6t5 6 no effect.
Beta
Jawsey character sheet link https://brexbasicbackups.obsidianportal.com...aracters/jawsey
Beta
Adeline Peters is a contact with C2 L4, "KE Forensic Magician", based in Seattle proper.
Zwipe is C1 L5, Ganger/Technician (he was the contact that we helped from the Brain Eaters, a few episodes ago)

And sorry that I'm not on the same posting frequency at the moment. I tried to write Jawey's IC to explain why he wasn't outside helping sooner.
Tecumseh
As I said, I'm traveling almost all day Tuesday so I'll be taking a day off from posting unless I get one up very late in the evening.

Adeline: Available? 1-4 Yes, 5-6 No: 1d6 4

Zwipe: Available? 1-5 Yes, 6 No: 1d6 5

Both are available.
Beta
Summon F4+1=5 spirit of man with optional power fear
summon F4+1=5 spirit of man: 11d6t5 4
spirit resist: 5d6t5 1
drain resist vs 2: 13d6t5 0 ugh, 0 on 13 dice? Well, really can't complain after what Mato went through.

3 services, 2 drain

All physical stats are above Jawsey's, so he is at +3 on his physicals, but capping out 5 (6 for agility), so strength 5, Body 5, Reaction 5, agility 6.

I updated my last IC (the one where he sends messages) with some IC bit about the summoning.

=================================

Happy travels, Tecumseh! I hope it all goes smoothly.

We are not going anywhere for the holidays (and with the exploding cases of Omicron in our region we are probably not doing much of anything), so generally speaking the holidays won't throw off my posting, other than that the lack of usual routine might lead to a missed day.
Gilga
@Tecumesh fun to read you are traveling, and very funny read seeing that Bobby appears to run after the car owner.

Tecumseh
This is a quick day trip, there-and-back in the same day. Might be a very long day in the car but hopefully a bit of adventure.
Tecumseh
I will take a Visual Perception test from AM and Jawsey, please.
Gilga
perception: 10d6t5 3
Beta
(vis) perception: 7d6t5 2
Tecumseh
From his point in Chemistry, we'll say that Bobby knows that Aisa is one of the most popular party drugs on the market, which makes users experience mild hallucinations. (Chrome Flesh p. 179)

Looking over Bobby's sheet, why in the world does he know French?
Beta
I don't want to go too far down the bomb forensics rat-hole, but it seemed like a thing to follow up on (sand-boxes are prone to rat-holes)
Gilga
@Tec - AM also contacted Jhonney as the ex-Mossad explosives expert is he unavailable? Also the 3 hits forensic role reveals us something about the bomb?

Tecumseh
@Gilga
Thanks for the reminder. The bit with Jhonney got lost in the mix. Let's see if he's around:

1-4 Available, 5-6 Not Available: 1d6 3

I'll add it in.

@Jack
Why is Mindlink's dice pool 18 instead of 14? There are obviously plenty of hits either way, but I want to make sure I'm not missing an extra source of dice.

Mindlink is a Touch spell, so you'll need to touch the good doctor in order to cast it. It's a bit ambiguous whether she is a "voluntary subject" or not, but we'll sweep that one under the rug for the moment since she wouldn't exactly understand what's going on.
Jack_Spade
Mindlink is cast with AGI+Unarmed
Current form has AGI 8 + Skill 6 + Mentor Spirit 2 + Agi Boost 2 (Which I just realized, I didn't post)

It's an active detection spell, so if she doesn't want the connection she can resist with Log+Wil (Adding the word "voluntary" was a bit redundant from the writers)
All detection spells are Touch spells, but usually you are touching yourself to cast them, but guess it makes sense to touch her.

How high (off the ground) is the doctor right now?
Tecumseh
I believe casting with Barehanded Adept is Magic + Unarmed Combat, not AGI.

I think "voluntary" is an important description for Mindlink because the writers didn't want it to be an interrogation spell, or a cheaper or more effective version of Mind Probe. So you can cast Mindlink but even if the target doesn't resist it, they're not required to transmit or share any mental thoughts or images or emotions. You could still communicate with them - sending thoughts through the link - but there might not be anything coming back unless they want to send something.

The window is the second story, so the doctor is about 4-5 meters off the ground. You could probably hit her with a jumping high-five, or using your claws to climb up the side of the building.

Jack_Spade
Damn, you are correct - so no boosting agi, though it's still 16 dice thanks to Bobby improving Mag to 8.
Transmitting is all I need in this case.

Hm. Black bears are great climbers, but with Mato on my back that' likely not a good idea.

Now that I have line of sight, can I spot her persona, so I can just use the commlink instead (forget about mindlinking and just use comms)?
Tecumseh
Sure, commlink will probably work now that she's awake.
Jack_Spade
Text has been edited.
Beta
aura reading on orc: 13d6t5 4
That should be a good enough result to help guide the details of his approach, hopefully make the guy less suspicious or hostile.

detox roll, as needed (F4, drain to resist of 2)
cast detox: 9d6t5 3
drain resist vs 2: 13d6t5 2
3 successes, no drain

I think his approach of tricking the guy into talking about what he saw is best modeled by Con:
con: 14d6t5 4
4 successes, and up to a -4 penalty for negative attitude doesn't change that. Decent but not charm-your-socks-off territory.
Tecumseh
@Beta
Channeling is a dead-end so you'll need to summon a new spirit to send one after the family:

Street Grimoire, p. 148: "The spirit cannot leave the magician’s body until either the services are up, the magician dismisses it, or time expires as per the rules of summoned spirits."

Go ahead and roll summoning/drain but I'll write the IC with the assumption that you succeed.
Beta
@Tecumseh thank you for the catch.

summon F4+1=5 spirit of man: 11d6t5 3
spirit resist: 5d6t5 2
drain resist vs 4: 13d6t5 5
1 service, no additional drain (currently at 2 stun from previous summoning)
Service is to follow the family and stay with the largest number of them if they split up, without passing through any of them.
Tecumseh
Merry Christmas, everyone, and a belated Happy Hanukkah to gilga.

I'll be slow the next few days but I'll try to post at least once a day.

2 karma and 1 knowledge karma for everyone this holiday season, available immediately especially if it's for something fun.
Gilga
Hanukkah is over so they were not synced this year but Merry Christmas to all of you. wink.gif
Jack_Spade
Happy Holidays to you all biggrin.gif
Beta
Happy holidays for those who are having holidays smile.gif

(The company that I'm at has big offices in Armenia (Gregorian calendar but aligned with Russian Orthodox religious holidays) and India (mostly entirely different) as well as smaller ones in China and Japan, so I've given up on trying to track all of the holidays anymore. On any given weekend it seems somebody probably has a holiday. Just keep your calendar updated so that we know when we can talk to you)
Gilga
Plenty of holidays yes, only when we lived in Italy I understood how little I know about their holidays.
Beta
For Granny Teeth (F5)
summon F4+1=5 spirit of man: 11d6t5 3
spirit resist: 5d6t5 2
drain resist vs 4: 13d6t5 4
1 service, no drain.

Later: for Red Jacket Boy (F4), optional power = psychokinesis
summon F3+1=F4 spirit of man: 11d6t5 3
spirit resist: 4d6t5 1
drain resist vs 2: 13d6t5 5
2 services, no drain
Tecumseh
I could have sworn that AM had the Fix spell but I guess I imagined that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012