Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Inside the gaming industry
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Omega Skip
Ok, so I just landed my first job in the computer gaming industry (working for a developer now that's got a "cool" name, about to launch a very "crafty" mmorpg), and I was wondering if any other Dumpshockers are also working in or aiming for a career the same industry... anyone?

I am so thrilled right now, I can barely post straight. scatter.gif
JaronK
I have an interview set up for a local Video Game company... we'll see if it comes through.

JaronK
Phaeton
Part of me has a calling for the video game industry...I dunno if I'll follow through with it, but it's sorta been a dream of mine for several years now.
Erebus
Hmmmm I'd have to move to the West Coast.... As much as I'd really find fufillment in a development/testing job for a gaming company, I really couldn't leave New England.. its my home.

frown.gif
Panzergeist
Man, Blizzard? Lucky guy. They seem to lead a chamred life. Every game is a smash success. Hope you get stock options.
ThatPaolo
I'm not going to comment.
FXcalibur
Trying to get into the industry, but it's a bit of a stretch for me. So I spend my time writing RPGs in the meanwhile.
Omega Skip
Getting in is the most difficult part these days, at least that's what everybody is saying. Personally, I'd say the best way to get in is to be direct, to be yourself, to be prepared, and most of all to be persistent.

Be direct
If you want to get in, find out if any game companies have offices nearby. Most developers / publishers have very informative websites that also tell you where you can find their offices. If you're not applying for a specific postion, (i.e. the company is currently not hiring) make it a priority to find out who works in the human ressources department of the company (companies) you wish to contact, and send any mail dealing with future employment to them directly. You'd be surprised how many resumes get sent in each day and are shredded right away. By sending it to their human ressources people, you'll have a good chance somebody at least reads your stuff.

Be yourself
When sending in your resume, try to make yourself look good without making stuff up! This may seem obvious, but many people believe that they'll have a better chance if they are a little "creative" with their CV. Trust me, this is a bad idea all around. It's bad enough if they find out during your job interview, but it's even worse when you get away with it and then end up having a job that's completely over your head. Also, team skills are a huge plus. You'll want to be your most charming, self confident, and natural self. Don't be surprised if part of your job interview takes place at Pizza Hut. (mine did!)

Be prepared
There's tons of advice on what your resume and / or portfolio should look like - not surprisingly, Blizzard and Acclaim as well as most other companies have submission guidelines online which give you a good idea of what they're looking for. There's a reason why these guidelines are there: On any given day, the big employers get sent an incredible amount of sub-par work. Reading these guidelines and sticking to them will make sure that you are not wasting anybody's time, and it'll also improve your chances drastically.
Also, what they don't tell you is that during your job interview, you'll be asked to talk about your work. It's a good idea to prepare a little speech about what you do, how you work, and most importantly, why you love doing this. Be prepared to receive a lot of flak. During my interview, they tried to poke as many holes as possible into my stuff, but I think I did a pretty good job at defending my work without sounding like a conceited jerk. Which is the most difficult part: Standing by your stuff while still being nice. My advice would be to simply practice this situation with a friend.
Another thing I find worth mentioning is: DON'T WEAR A SUIT! Wear a presentable yet non-formal outfit - a nice button-up shirt, decent jeans (No stickers, patches, or torn knees), and some nice sneakers will do most of the time. It doesn't hurt if you ask them what you should wear.

Be persistent
Chances are, you won't find a job right away. There's always somebody who's more talented, more charming, more competent, or simply more reliable than you. But that's nothing to worry about, because it's nothing you can change. Luck plays a huge role in whether or not you can get in. In most cases, it's not your fault if somebody doesn't want you, it's rather that there's somebody else whom they prefer. But if you walk out of an interview and have a feeling that it didn't go too well: Sit down, take a deep breath, and think about why it didn't go well and how you could do better next time. Then have a coffee, and move on. Keeping yourself busy in between interviews is the best thing you can do, like for example what FXcalibur is doing. Also, I recommend reading whatever kind of industry-related books you can get your hands on. And most of all, play as many && much games as you can.

That's all I the advice I can give right now - gotta get back to packing my stuff up. smile.gif
Street Doc
Man .. I really need to start posting more, two posts in like 6 months...

Anywho, while its not really a videogame/computer game industry. I am currently under the wing of Eagle Games. They are the people that made the Civilization board game, among others. While I dont really get paid (atleast not in checks) I have put alot of input on their games, and have walked along side the top dogs. I am also getting cozy with Mongoose Publishing for their Armaggedon 2085 line, and hopefully will have alot of input with that also. So I guess you could say I am really a freelancer of sorts, not really working for anyone, but offering my views and ideas.
Omega Skip
So you're Quality Assurance, or Playtesting? Quite cool. I've heard a few people say those are pretty good starting points if you want to get into a game-design position later.

Also, from a game design POV, boardgames and computer / videogames are very similar. In fact, I think many videogame designers should look at the way boardgames are designed for inspiration. (Prototyping, playtesting, etc)
Catsnightmare
Not that lucky myself, but a friend of mine has recently been offered a possible position at Steve Jackson Games.
Street Doc
So you're Quality Assurance, or Playtesting? Quite cool. I've heard a few people say those are pretty good starting points if you want to get into a game-design position later.

I guess if you want to put a technical title to it, then sure. I kinda like the sound of that "Quality Assurance." biggrin.gif Would ring true in the Civ Board Game, the whole purchasing system was changed cause of me. The way they had it before everything costed an arm and a leg, even for the most powerful Empires. The game was really going no where, so we came up with a new system and it stuck. I even had the honor of going to Glen's (President of Eagle Games) house a number of occasions, really nice guy. Probably be working for them at GenCon again while also catching up on the latest news from Mongoose Publishing.
Adam
QUOTE (Catsnightmare)
Not that lucky myself, but a friend of mine has recently been offered a possible position at Steve Jackson Games.

Hard and smart work makes luck.
Street Doc
Hard and smart work makes luck

True, True
Mr Burns
I've been in it since 98, mostly making hockey games for various companies. Congrats on the job, and enjoy the time you have before you become bitter and jaded about the games industry smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012