Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Learning Spells
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Thanos007
If I'm reading this right using your sorcery skill dice you have to roll a number equal to or higher than twice the force of the spell your trying to learn. So that means if I'm trying to learn a force 8 spell I have to roll a 16. Is this correct? Yes I know about all the different modifiers. Let's ignore those for now.

Thanos
TinkerGnome
Yep. You have to hit a 16 to learn a force 8 spell.
Capt. Dave
Of course, if you read the example, it shows Grandfather Bones would only have to roll a TN 6 for an exclusive force 8 spell.
It'd be nice if the examples SR gives were actual, you know, correct examples.
xizor
because that rule makes learning magic next to imposible, you may want to allow the reduction of the target number through extra time spent learning
-1 tn per day of extra study up to (applicable magic skill)
and -1 tn per week of extra study past (applicable magic skill days)

this is a possible house rule.
based on the idea of it is esier to pass a math test if you study more
BitBasher
I like TN's where they are, it's a self limiting factor of spells. spells above 6 tn get drastically harder to resist, and not in a linear fashion.

A force 6 spell is three times as hard to resist as a force 4. a force 9 is twice as hard as a force 6. a force 12 is 6 times as hard to resist as a force six, and 18 times as hard as a force 4.

It NEEDS to me nigh impossible to learn those.
JaronK
Meh, the drain codes get brutal trying to use spells like that though. I'm a big fan of Force 5 spells, since they can pretty much be cast all day without drain.

JaronK
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012