Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Living in the Shadows: Recruitment
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
WinterRat1
This is the Recruitment thread for the Living in the Shadows campaign. The guidelines for this campaign can be accessed here.

Living in the Shadows: Guidelines

The related IC and OOC links can be found here.

Living in the Shadows: IC
Living in the Shadows: OOC

This is an open recruitment. Follow the guidelines listed in the thread above, and feel free to post any questions you may have or PM Tisoz or myself.

As a clarification, the default setting is Seattle.
tisoz
Nothing to see here, folks. Move it along. Break it up.

Just checking in to have a post I can edit near the top o' the thread.
tisoz
I would like to move tisoz's World:IC into the Living in the Shadows game. The guidelines for character creation are the same. I will rename the game The Warehouse Job and appropriate IC# when assigned. (Looks like 1)

I'll make the appropriate posts in my games IC and OOC threads directing them to the new thread upon approval.

I'd also like to get my proposed new game of special characters an IC game # soon as I have a couple players who are about ready to begin. The benefit of running them under the Living in the Shadows umbrella is that These Pcs can demonstrate that they could qualify as NPCs in the World thread.

Yes it all seems a little confusing. Feel free to ask questions. And volunteer services.
GreatChicken
Just a couple of questions. If they sound rather noobish, forgive me. While I have participated in such games before, this is the first one I'm doing so with dice and real statistics involved.

1. If we're interacting with our own NPCs or going on personal quests, who rolls the dice and awards the karma?

2. Do we require the rolling of dice and counting of drain for casual, non-run actions that are only done for character flavor? Eg: the street samurai twirling his gun as he slots it back into his holster, the mage just Magic Fingering the book off his own shelf instead of climbing a ladder...
WinterRat1
No sweat on the questions. That's what we're here for, to answer them. Well that and run a game. wink.gif

That said, in answer to your questions.

1. If you are interacting with minor NPCs, we'll probably just let you handle the dice. If a major NPC, you're probably a major NPC because you can handle it. So we'll let you handle dice (again).

In the guidelines thread, we elaborate, but basically all NPCs and PCs will be assigned to a World GM. That World GM is responsible for keeping tabs on the rolls and handing out karma. So although you would roll the dice in that situation, we'll periodically check to make sure things are cool. But it is a heavy honor system kind of thing. And in general, we would encourage people to not have their NPCs interact with their PCs, better to interact with other players PCs. If it happens though, we won't get all bent out of shape about it.

In regards to personal quests, again, you would be assigned to a World GM who would be responsible for you. You would make the rolls for yourself, they'll make all the other ones.

2. No, for pure flavor text you don't need to roll unless you want to do something either really crazy or something that affects another character.
paul_HArkonen
Ok I love what you guys are doing its a dream come true for every hardcore roleplayer I've ever met (granted that's a fairly small number but hey) and I'd love to join, but first I'm a little confused with how the system is going to work. Stop me where I'm wrong and correct me please:

1. submit character
2. get aproval
3. start posting in the "World IC" thread
4. somewhere along the way get a job and get told to start posting in the "sub game IC" thread.
5. finish run go back to posting in "World IC"
6. repeat above steps 3-5 for however long you're still interested.

Is that list about right, and if so you will be getting much pestering from me with character ideas. Heck you'll get pestering from me anyway but i'll need to know how it works first.
kevyn668
Raygun's guns? Case by case or straight up "no"?
WinterRat1
Paul- That list is correct. The only thing I would add is that it is not neccessary to finish a sub-game before posting in World IC again. You may, and are encouraged to, post in World IC and your sub-game concurrently. Real life (World IC) and work (the sub-game) are intermingled, and overlap with each other. Since they happen at the same time, and do not happen independent of each other, we are attempting to represent that fact. So think of steps 3-5 as all happening at the same time. With that minor note, your list is exactly what is supposed to happen. Well summarized. I should steal that list. smile.gif

kevyn- We are not allowing Raygun's guns at this time.

kevyn668
I think I have this:

So, if you're on a run (SubGame) and at some point during this, your [boyfriend/girlfriend] calls and says s/he's leaving that would be in the World IC?

I don't mean to sound dense but its been a rough week... smile.gif
tisoz
More like at some point during your run (subgame), you post to the World IC that your girlfriend called to say she is leaving. You provide the hook. Maybe the subgame had slowed down, or the GM was on vacation, whatever. It Keeps your interest in your character alive.

You could also post almost exclusively to the World Thread.

Also, I'd like to point out that though this format will allow for a lot of one on one type interaction, it doesn't need to be exclusively one on one. If you plan to play with other players/characters, let us know when you are submitting characters. Then we can assign the character to the same GM. GMs that join in GMing the World thread will be assigned their players. If the GM is unavailable, hopefully he has made arrangements with another GM to cover for him during his absence.

Back to the group thing, if several players from a subgame want to stay together in the World thread, the simple solution is to mention them when you give us the hook.
Bearclaw
I've got a guy who's earned about 30 karma in his life that I'd really like to play. His only really cool piece of gear is his dikoted katana, which he took from the cold, dead hand of it's previous owner.
He's got lots of contacts, friends and enemies, and I haven't been able to do anything with him for better than a year.
tisoz
QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Jun 24 2004, 11:54 AM)
I've got a guy who's earned about 30 karma in his life that I'd really like to play.  His only really cool piece of gear is his dikoted katana, which he took from the cold, dead hand of it's previous owner.
He's got lots of contacts, friends and enemies, and I haven't been able to do anything with him for better than a year.

I was just thinking about addressing this issue. At the moment, hold onto him. As the World turns (couldn't help it) the starting characters are going to mature. So in the future, your character will fit be a better fit to the power level and stands a better chance of being approved.

A better solution is to join a subgame where the character fits within the creation requirements. Play there and you are more likely to get approved to play in the World because you are creating a history. We can see if you would disrupt the World or fit easily into it. The easier you fit, the easier it is to approve you for play.

Running Over the Edge: IC sounds like a subgame this player sounds like he is eligible for that is going to run much the way the World is going to run. It is just geared toward a bit higher power level characters. Your extra contacts easily fit.

And GMs, see how easy it is to find/advertise for players? Get on board.
cheezypoof714
A very cool concept.I scanned through the rules and was curious about one thing pertaining to the game mechanics.Forgive me if it has already been addressed.The following questions all regard the World IC thread.

Does the World GM post about something that comes up in Real Life going from the PC's background.The GM then waits for a response from the PC the post was intended for?
OR does the PC take the initiative and post IC to start a direction for the GM to take it?
OR am I totally off track and missed the entire jist here?

Whatever the case may be I am definitely going to submit a character for this.
tisoz
Does the World GM post about something that comes up in Real Life going from the PC's background.The GM then waits for a response from the PC the post was intended for?

This is not likely to occur unless the player requests something like that in the Living in The Shadows: OoC. The idea isn't to make the characters life harder just for kicks or to frustrate players. If they are busy in a subgame, we are not going to interfere with the character unless he wants us to.
OR does the PC take the initiative and post IC to start a direction for the GM to take it?

Exactly, give us some idea of where you want to go. If you just feel like trolling for trouble (similar to a Food Fight! encounter), go where it is likely to happen like a bar or gang territory etcetera. Set yourself up with a flat tire in the wrong part of the barrens. Post that you hear the or see the trouble coming. These are easy encounter type hooks that don't need a lot of GM planning. Hopefully, you and the GM you are assigned to can communicate OoC for major hooks.

Remember, we may run the world but we are human. Just as we thought we are trying to communicate ideas to you about how things can work and need to clarify here and there, we might not catch some of your hooks if they are to subtle. Also, your assigned GM may have a lot of things going besides your character, and will not know your character as well as you. He/she may need OoC reminders. I've never seen a GM get mad when you make things easy for them.
Whatever the case may be I am definitely going to submit a character for this.

How about GMing? Saw you had a game thread, but I haven't had time to check it out.
Da9iel
How often and when do GMs generally expect posts? I've got a bit of a screwy schedule. frown.gif
tisoz
QUOTE (Da9iel)
How often and when do GMs generally expect posts? I've got a bit of a screwy schedule. frown.gif

This is one of the strengths of this format. You can post as much or as little as you want. There are incentives to get you to post, but there aren't penalties for slow posting.

If you have a time that you will be available online, let us know. It may influence who you get as GM. For instance, shortly I will only be available overnight (in US) and on weekends. Other GMs may not be available weekends because they have a family. Getting the best match will probably lead to a more enjoyable experience.
cheezypoof714
How about GMing? Saw you had a game thread, but I haven't had time to check it out.

That game is being GM'd by someone else.I just started the thread.I always get nervous about being a GM for the fact that I might totally goof something up.I need to stop being such a wuss,and give it a go,huh?

Anyway,thanks for clearing up my questions.I really do think the concept is great.It is a good vehicle to build a character into something more than just stats and gear.I will try and get the motivation to GM a subgame or something of that nature shortly.
tisoz
QUOTE (cheezypoof714)
I always get nervous about being a GM for the fact that I might totally goof something up.I need to stop being such a wuss,and give it a go,huh?

I will try and get the motivation to GM a subgame or something of that nature shortly.

This is a point I wanted to bring up to everyone. The nature of this concept easily lends itself to sharing GM duties and delegating some of the GMs normal duties. If you are comfortable GMing certain aspects of the game, volunteer to help with those aspects. Like the matrix or rigging or magic. Or general character interaction. It will only help you feel more comfartable. Doing it by post gives you time to look things up, so it is a good way to start GMing.

I really do think the concept is great.
embarrassed.gif
WinterRat1
Just to reiterate (I will edit the Guidelines post to reflect this) it is possible to play in World but not a sub-game.

Conversely, it is possible to play in a sub-game but not World. Best example right now is Tisoz's Running Over the Edge game. Although that game is a sub-game of the Living in the Shadows campaign, the characters within are not currently cleared to play in World (so people can start building up first without higher powered characters around just yet) at this time.

Also, to comment on interaction between World GMs and players, one thing I will do when I get time is put together a brief questionaire so you can explain what you are looking for in gameplay.

For example, if you are basically looking for a place to hang, maybe take care of some downtime stuff like buying gear in between runs, and mostly just using World as a sort of ‘runner bar’ while waiting for a GM to open up a new sub-game, that’s perfectly fine, and you probably will have little interaction with the World GMs and your character.

On the other hand, if you’re very interested in developing your character’s personal story and furthering personal goals, and you just take jobs as a way to earn money, then you will probably have a lot more interaction with World GMs. Also, in this scenario, the World GM you are assigned to will probably be much more proactive in posting things that concern your character and getting you involved.

So as Tisoz said, it’s all about what you’re looking for. By letting us know what you want, we can assign you to a World GM who will be more compatible with you, resulting in a better gaming experience for everyone.

I personally like developing stories and seeing them unfold rather than gamemastering runs or missions, so I will probably be developing and working with people in World IC more than in any particular sub-game. Also note that you can still make money and do runs and combat and all that stuff in World. I may, for example, have a player or players take on a job in World, but to a much smaller scope that may not necessarily warrant a sub-game in and of itself.

Hope that helped clear some stuff up for everyone.
Mystical_X
I just have one question: how are you going to keep track of character sheets, cause it seems like they will be changing a lot. Do you expect the player to keep track of their own sheet, will the GM be keeping track of their players sheets, or are you going to use a third party like Dash's website?

Anyway i think that this is a great idea and I'm working on my character as i type.
tisoz
I registered for Dashifen's but couldn't create a GM tracker for a current game and got over it. Does it work? I never got to see what it was like. I'm not adverse to using good tools.

I asked WinterRat1 about this a little while ago, just before he posted to the IC thread (I think) so he could make a directory for players. He plans to make a datbase of characters, PCs, NPCs. He seems like an organized guy.

As a player, I always want a copy. If there's any confusion, then the player and GM can reconcile the two sheets.

Regarding tools: if we can organize a place to create, submit and store maps and floorplans, it would be a great help.
Digital Heroin
This sounds like a dream, and quite similar to something I was considering running. Am I correct in asuming I'd be able to play a Fixer NPC, to hire runners into a Sub-IC thread that I would be managing? If so, that might be ideal.

The limitless posting times would suit me extremely well, because in the fall I'll be posted to a ship, and away for weeks, or possibly months at a time. During those times, my Fixer could just head off.
tisoz
QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Jun 24 2004, 05:59 PM)
This sounds like a dream, and quite similar to something I was considering running.

I'm beginning to think a lot of people wanted something like this, but it seemed too large to undertake. Call me stupid for not accepting limitations. But I'm actually beginning to think it may work. smile.gif Are you considering helping to GM? I like help.

Am I correct in asuming I'd be able to play a Fixer NPC, to hire runners into a Sub-IC thread that I would be managing? If so, that might be ideal.

You are absolutely right.

The limitless posting times would suit me extremely well, because in the fall I'll be posted to a ship, and away for weeks, or possibly months at a time. During those times, my Fixer could just head off.

I'd warn my players. But the Living in the Shadows thread gives them a possible place to play while you are gone.
Digital Heroin
I fully intend to make a chain of small runs, with the ability to use my sea time as downtime for the runners. I won't make the same mistakes I did in the past.
WinterRat1
Am I correct in asuming I'd be able to play a Fixer NPC, to hire runners into a Sub-IC thread that I would be managing?

You are correct Digital. It is also possible that your Fixer could be created as per the PC rules to act as your PC in the World thread. It depends on what your intentions are for him. He could be simply a mechanism to recruit players for your game, or a character you actually play for yourself who happens to recruit players for a game, or a combination of the two. Like we said, the line can get blurry at times, so it's mainly based off of your primary motivations for creating him.

how are you going to keep track of character sheets, cause it seems like they will be changing a lot. Do you expect the player to keep track of their own sheet, will the GM be keeping track of their players sheets, or are you going to use a third party like Dash's website?

There will be at least three copies of a character floating around. The player should have one, that player's World GM should have one, and I will have one. If the player is in a sub-game, that sub-game GM should have one as well.

I will be creating a master database with every normal and special PC, as well as every minor and major NPC. All GMs will pass me a copy of the characters under their wing. Note however that I am primarily doing this as an archive. Responsibility for keeping sheets current and updated is in the hands of the player and their GMs.

Also, remember that NPC's major and minor must be approved by a Universe GM (tisoz or myself) before they can enter World IC. If you are running a sub-game, NPCs are your jurisdiction and perogative, but if you want that NPC to enter the Living in the Shadows: IC thread, it must be approved first.

Of course, standards are less stringent and more flexible for getting NPC's approved. Minor NPCs are just a few relevant stats and relevant background. Major NPCs should be created roughly as characters, especially if they'll be showing up a lot. If you have a major NPC you would like to create, talk to me or Tisoz about what your idea is, and we'll let you know what we need from you.
Mystical_X
I have one last question and then I will stop bothering you. What time is the game set in? I couldn't find it in any of the posts, but since you are using all the canon stuff i kinda assumed it was 63'ish.
Digital Heroin
Stragenly enough, I was planning on adapting one of my PCs to be the NPC in question, so a quasi-PC would work.... in face, tisoz may be familiar with Jon Snow already...
WinterRat1
I have one last question and then I will stop bothering you. What time is the game set in? I couldn't find it in any of the posts, but since you are using all the canon stuff i kinda assumed it was 63'ish.

0001 January 1, 2063 is when the game officially starts. And don't worry about the questions. That's what we're here for. smile.gif We'd rather see you do things right and be happy with your character than not be because you didn't want to ask and bother us. So fire away.
tisoz
I wanted to start the game at that time on that day for a reason. The new year has just rolled around. It is usually a time of reflection and planning, setting goals for the coming year, making resolutions. I thought it would make it easy for characters to do some exposition in character.

It is also kind of simple to remember.
paul_HArkonen
where do you want us to post/ turn in/ submit our characters?

I know you've already said where somewhere but i couldn't find it embarrassed.gif
cheezypoof714
I think they want us to run a basic character idea by them to start with?

Although if you do have any further instructions on where to send it I would be interested in the info as well.I just started working on a character myself.
WinterRat1
PM me your character concept and if i give it the green light, then you can send me a completed 20 questions and a character sheet. After it's approved, then you can start playing right away. I'll be ready to roll with whoever, whenever they're ready. So send away.
cheezypoof714
Are we using the rules for enemies?If so would the World GM we were assigned to decide who they were,or the person creating the character?Some GM's opinions vary on this subject so I figured I would ask.
WinterRat1
Ah, good reminder Cheezy, thanks.

We ARE using the rules for enemies in SR Companion everyone, but the player in question will decide who they are. If you need help, the World GM will assist you.
WinterRat1
Just a note, I have added the answer to the questions about enemies and clarified the World IC/sub-game link in regards to the more powerful characters starting play in SG 2: Running Over the Edge.

It is very exciting watching the interest people seem to have. And as previously announced, I will be taking charge of the World IC quite a bit, and I'm ready to start play as characters are submitted. There is no formal start date. So those of you who are interested in that line of game, as you are ready to start, I will start you off, so don't feel you have to wait for everyone else to get ready first. When you're ready to play, I'm ready to play.

Looking forward to all your submissions and watching them unfold! smile.gif
WinterRat1
In case it was not clear, you can use spell points like karma for the purpose of bonding foci and initiating. 1 spell point = 1 karma. Also, you may buy spell points at the stated book rate of 25,000 nuyen = 1 spell point.

Side note: It seems we have quite a few magical characters. Actually, all the characters I received thus far are magical. That's fine, I was just wondering if anyone was planning on playing a non-magical character. Just curious.
Raiko
I've got a starting drone-rigger I'd like to use, it's taking so long for me to finalize his equipment list that I keep missing starting deadlines, so this seems like the ideal place to run him (I've really been looking forward to using him).

WinterRat1
I think we all know what it feels like to have to rush a character and either not get it done or not get it done right. If you want to send me your character concept and 20 questions to facilitate the speedy approval of your character when you finish his stats, that would be good. If you prefer not to, don't worry about it. Either way, take your time and make your character enjoyable for you to play.
Digital Heroin
Snow is a non-magic, non-cyberware, fully mundane type...
tisoz
QUOTE (Digital Heroin)
Snow is a non-magic, non-cyberware, fully mundane type...

Do you need his character sheet?
Digital Heroin
Got it, modifying him a bit... I was wondering, if he's meant to be a PC Fixer, is there anything I should take into consideration?
tisoz
Do we have interest in playing Fixers?

If DH is it so far, we'll handle it by PM, because my suggestions are based on the char sheet I have from him. So they are kind of specific.

If there are other fixers out there, I'll post to the thread.
kevyn668
Like, how much of a concept do you need? I'm unfamiliar w/ the qauntity of "concept." smile.gif

[ Spoiler ]

Is that enough to start working on a full write up?

Ditaki
Hi,

I don't really have much of a character concept right now, and I'm much more interested in GMing than playing a PC right now. I've been GMing for about three or four years now, but I haven't gotten a chance to GM Shadowrun yet (except for a very brief session with my players that I haven't been able to pick up yet) Bookswise, I have most everything for Shadowrun 3rd (missing the GM Screen and Critters, DotSW and a couple of others...I've got all the ones like MitS and such though).

So my question, I suppose, becomes this: how would I go about becoming a World GM? At the moment, I've got a couple of ideas for a game going around in my head, but as for right now, I'd like to be a World GM.

(I'm also shooting off a PM to you, so feel free to continue the conversation there.)

Thanks!
tisoz
QUOTE (kevyn668)
Like, how much of a concept do you need? I'm unfamiliar w/ the qauntity of "concept." smile.gif

[ Spoiler ]

Is that enough to start working on a full write up?

That's about the minimum. You may have to rework it a lot. Because our idea of what you said is different than your idea.

Concept is usually a short outline of the character. What makes the character unique. I'm hoping it is one you have wanted to play and thought about. There's not a rush, so think about it, and flesh the idea out some more. What do you want him to be good at? What race, ethnic origin? Age and appearance. What makes hik a combat mage? Spells, cyber, skills? Do his friends and enemies define him?

The big thing is to give us a good enough idea of if this character will work or if it is going to last a week. It is pointless (almost) to spend a lot of time generating the character and it is so weird it is unplayable. A well made character with a good background will probably get some karma or similar bonus to start. No promises, but I have done it before, and it is something to shoot for.
kevyn668
He's pretty well thought out. The idea has been kicking around in my head since the begining of 2nd Ed. I just didn't have a group for a long time and now I only play here.

The main reason he hasn't seen the light of day on the Boards is that I do have a pretty good background for him and I didn't want to use it for (worst case) a game that would never finish or (best case) his past doesn't come into play b/c its most likely a one shot run...

I have no problem reworking it. In fact I'd welcome some input on it since I'm the only person ever to have seen it.

So, how about I come up with about a page or so and send that off to you or WinterRat1 and if you guys dig it, I flesh it out.

I have stats (sort of) for him, mostly in my head. smile.gif

It may take me a few days--I don't work well w/o deadlines, but I really want to play this guy so that should serve as sufficient motivation.

Random thought: I may come up with a Mundane character since the majority of submissions (as usuall) have been Awakened. Its kinda strange, in SR it seems that sams are fairly comman whereas magic-types are rare. 'Round these parts its just the opposite...

Edit: One more question. How broad is the world? Can we start in a city other than Seattle? Travel/relocate to other cities?
tisoz
Imagine the deadline is Wednesdy.wink.gif

If everyone wants to play magical types, they may. Plenty of magic runs.

Send a copy to both of us.

I want to be world wide, but that will have to wait until we get more people lined up to help. One idea I had was people wanting to play elsewhere furnish location details. Don't know if this will work. Where are you wanting to play? Maybe I've been there. That could make it easier.
WinterRat1
Yeowch. I’m gone for a whole day and the place is filled with posts and questions. Glad that people are taking an interest, keep it coming. Tisoz has fielded some of the questions, so the ones he has I’ll either ignore or add my two cents, so if I don’t answer your question, it is because I felt you already had an adequate answer. Feel free to ask again here or via PM if you need more detail.

Digital- Tisoz seems to have you covered, so I’ll let him handle it.

Ditaki- I got your PM regarding your idea. As I replied, I think it’s fantastic. Did you also plan on being a World GM in addition to that, or apart from that. Let me know so I know if I should respond to your idea, being a World GM, or both.

Kevyn- I’ll handle you for now. Tisoz has at least two plus games he’s GameMastering so he’s probably pretty busy. Plus, I am currently (and probably in the future) the primary World GM. As it stands, other than Tisoz I’m also the ONLY World GM, so I suppose it’s best if you work with me for now. smile.gif Although you can still send us both a copy.

I think the reason a lot of people play magical characters is because they can be pretty powerful. For the sake of realism, limiting the amount of magical characters would’ve made sense, but been unfair for late arrivals, so oh well, who knows? Maybe we’ll have a campaign in the Astral Plane or something, on the Metaplanes. We’ll just see what happens. It could be quite entertaining.

So make whatever you like, it’s perfectly fine with us. For now, start your character in Seattle. As Tisoz said, we’d like this to be world wide, but for now, while we’re starting up and getting going, let’s just keep it simple. Once we’re a bit more rolling merrily along, we’ll start working on expanding to different locations.

Oh, and a General Purpose Announcement. The first completed character has been submitted to me and approved. Right after I post this reply, I will be posting the introductory post in the World IC thread. Once the introductory post is up, if your character has been approved by myself or Tisoz, you may begin posting in the World IC thread. It is official, the game is on! biggrin.gif
Bearclaw
Can I email the .sr3, or do you want me to retype everything into a PM?
WinterRat1
you may email it to me at alexwong945@yahoo.com. What is the .sr3? I assume it is your character sheet?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012