Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Modified games to meet the new age
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Dustbin1_UK
Just bought Knightmare Chess 1 and 2 from Steve Jackson Games. Basically, you take a normal chess game and add these cards that come in the two packs ('bout 160 in all) and when you make a move you can use these cards to have some minor or major effects on the game!

I think it is an original idea and makes the game.... urm... interesting but really fun to say the least. My wife likes it as it means she can now actually beat me nyahnyah.gif (though she has more points on her deck than I do).

I was wondering if anyone else had seen some older games brought into modern times or thought of any good ideas for "plug in's" to old games.

By the way Monopoly we all ready know has a Simpsons and a Star Wars version so that does not count. OK? wink.gif
Pthgar
Well, there is RISK 2210 AD that has, among other things, new sea colonies and a seperate board for the Moon. I've also seen Risk with a LOTR map. I don't know the rules but I know that capturing the One Ring is part of the game.
Catsnightmare
Well once to spice up a Monopoly game we played with rules for bank loans and Maifa loans, and of course the ever classic Free Parking pot.

Once we tried to play with a monopoly game that the Community Chest and Chance cards were missing so we made up our own cards (had a program that would print business cards and use the backs of out of date cards) and added a rule from an old board game called Lie, Cheat and Steal. Which was you did NOT have to show what you drew on a Chance or C.C. card and could lie as to what it actually said. Nobody could challenge you on it unless they drew one of the special cards that allowed them to do so or rolled doubles and scrificed your re-roll in order to challenge them. If you challenge someones card claim and they are caught lieing they go straight ot jail, but if you challenge someone's card claim and they were telling the truth you lost your next turn.
Enkeli
Well here is one for Chess, also from SJGames.
It`s called Tile Chess.
KillaJ
There is a four way chess game out there. I dont remember the name of it though. It was an interesting change but its hard to find three other guys to play chess with.
Dustbin1_UK
That Tile Chess Link does not work!
Austere Emancipator
http://www.sjgames.com/tilechess/
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (KillaJ)
There is a four way chess game out there. I dont remember the name of it though. It was an interesting change but its hard to find three other guys to play chess with.

I've played it, it's good stuff. I haven't gotten in enough games to figure out which of the three methods of dealing with dead pieces I like best, though.

(When a player has been checkmated, their pieces can either be removed from the board, fall under the control of the checkmating player, or just sit where they are as capturable but otherwise immobile obstacles)

What's really interesting is combining Chess 4 and Knightmare Chess.

~J
Misfit Toy
I'm a big fan of Monster Chess.

It's basically a variant of Chess where White has all of their pieces and Black has only their King and four Pawns (both Bishop Pawns, King Pawn, and Queen Pawn) and the Black King can actually mate. The fun part is that Black gets to make two moves to White's single move.
KillaJ
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
What's really interesting is combining Chess 4 and Knightmare Chess.

Interesting, eh?
We must have a different definition of interesting. If I tried to play a game that was 3 times as complicated as chess and then threw in a bunch more rules I think that I would probably have a stroke. eek.gif
Dustbin1_UK
If I tried to play a game that was 3 times as complicated as chess and then threw in a bunch more rules I think that I would probably have a stroke.

Get some wired reflexes and some extra capacity in your mind and you'll do fine. biggrin.gif
KillaJ
I dont think that I have enough essence to handle all the enhancements that I would need to handle that game. wink.gif
toturi
Skillwires 3 and an ECD biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
Really, all you need is a Math SPU and either an encephalon or cerebral booster. Both is preferred, but only one is really necessary. Mnemonic enhancement helps too.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012