Pages: 1, 2
FXcalibur
Cant seem to recognize
That stare behind those eyes
Who is this man i see?
Who’s looking back at me?
Cant focus through the gray
And i am fading into nothing

Campaign Overview: It was a textbook worse-case scenario – terrorists have invaded and seized control of a downtown skyscraper and are in possession of a tactical nuke, making outrageous demands. How and why? Your Johnson doesn’t know, but he needs help. You were part of the effort to rectify this problem. But then the drek hits the fan and everything goes from bad to worse. The characters in this campaign are experienced runners who have accepted an extremely dangerous, yet high reward run.

The game begins in the middle of said run, where things are beginning to get really hairy though by no fault of the team. However, characters get to play out a “flashback” to allow interaction with the fixer as well as to fill in the details of what the run exactly is. Suffice to say, it’s very high profile. Once the flashback is done, we ‘fast forward’ to the middle of the run, which is where the real game will begin.

Disclaimer: I am going to take a little liberty with canon, in terms of what the UCAS and corps are capable of and how they spec ops units operate, but that’s only a little bit of alteration; the main one will be from other spec ops units in the world. I may or may not use them – If you must, think of current knowledge on these units to be what your character believes to be the truth (if s/he has knowledge in said spec ops forces).

The game is going to be pretty action-esque, though there would be enough space for espionage and sneaking around or even the use of social skills. Just have your character a way to defend him/herself in a fight to be safe.

Character Creation Guidelines
Admittedly ‘borrowing’ them from a friend. Cause they’re good. smile.gif Hope you don’t mind, amigo.
  • Books allowed: SR3, CC, M&M, MitS, SRC
  • Complete Chargen as normal (Priority, Sum to Ten or 125 BP)
  • Characters need to either take “Spikehead” or “Lancer HQ” as a contact (both are fixer contacts, explained below). Either a free one or not, doesn’t matter. You can have both, though one is enough.
  • Character Types: No restriction on awakened. No drakes, ghouls or otaku. Metavariants allowed. No riggers or deckers since I don’t own R3 or Matrix, and I know you guys will just feel cheated wink.gif
  • SURGE: I do not own YotC, though I am generally not opposed to SURGE. Nonetheless, SURGE is on a case-by-case basis.
  • Skills: No real requirement, though you will be engaged in a military run. Athletics, Stealth, Small Unit Tactics (active if you want the init bonus, knowledge if not) and Leadership are good skills to have, but are NOT essential.
  • No restrictions on edges/flaws amount of points. Try not to have too many E/Fs (four is pushing it). Flaws that are not flaws are not worth points. When possible, work E/Fs into background.
  • Cultured Bioware and Beta/Deltaware is allowed if the availability is 8 or under.
  • Weapon modifications (custom grip, integral accessories, etc) are okay. Custom weapons are not…yet (see below).
Okay, chargen all done and good? Since your characters are ‘experienced’, you get 1,000,000 nuyen to buy new stuff with. Karma costs 5000 a point and goes to pool at the regular rate (every tenth for humans and twentieth for others).
  • Everything is now available. No availability or ratings cap. Street Index DOES apply for all stuff bought after chargen. No surgery costs. Would be nice if you indicated where you got your goodies from…
  • Personality and Backgrounds: Your character has a good deal of experience under his/her belt. You need not have a shadowrunner background, but you need to be matured and capable enough to work in a team environment at special operations level (an extreme example would be a teenage runner, but I gotta say, that would be one HELL of a skilled/lucky child prodigy to make it this far). All players know a small bit of each other, at the very least each other’s capabilities. Exactly how well you know each other, I leave that up to you. Building multiple-character-involved backgrounds is fine by me and would be pretty cool actually.
  • Custom weapons are now available, but are only so on a case-by-case basis. Good if they have a bit of ‘personality’ to them, not just the next maxi-crunched SMG.
  • Magic characters can join groups an initiate at standard costs. Include it in the background if you do.
  • Spell mods allowed. Custom spells on a case-by-case basis (going to be a bit strict on this one, and for the love of God, please no Increased Reflexes + 11)
More Notes
  • Send the character sheet to me in a word file. It’s a personal preference/quirk thing. Humour me wink.gif
  • I want a fairly high post rate, around 5 posts a week give or take. I do understand if you’re not free on the weekend though. If you’re going to be missing for a while, please PM me or let the group know if you can.
  • Deadline for characters: Next Tuesday, 13th July and hopefully we’ll begin then. * Questions or concepts? Post here or PM me. You can also get me on MSN (final_excalibur@hotmail.com) or AIM (swordthatmoos).
  • Send sheets to final_excalibur@hotmail.com
Fixer Information
  • Spikehead: Retired Troll (A ‘small’ troll who doesn’t have horns and looks more like a large Ork) Combat Decker turned fixer who runs a donut café in Redmond
  • Lancer HQ: The League of (Free)Lancers is a fixer organization who shortlists truly capable, experienced shadowrunners as well as topnotch personnel from other professions the world over.
Any of the two fixers can get your character to the meet. Where the campaign goes after the initial run is entirely up in the air. I want to involve my players more with the(ir) stories, of course, so give me a few hooks to work with and we'll take it from there.

And that’s it. Hope the game takes off and look forward to playing with you guys smile.gif

Edit 1: Cleaned up the post. Hope people can look at it for more than 1 minute now.
TinkerGnome
Hmm... I'll see what I can come up with. I'm thinking an elf mage at this point.
Shadow
I've got a Sniper Adept from TheOneRonin's game who is a total spec ops guy. He would fit in well. I would need to rework him, but he is totally in the groove. Consider my hat in the ring!
simonw2000
Considering a few characters. I'll post back with what I have.
Bearclaw
I've got an Elf conjuring adept/sniper merc I've been wanting to play for a long time. I think he'd fit perfectly into this campaign. Maybe I'll re-work him as a path of the mage.
BishopMcQ
Well--I've seen 2 snipers thrown in already so I guess Finn is out. I'll throw Rhys into the ring. Light cyber, specializes in infiltration, B/E etc. All around trouble-shooter.
JaronK
There's a character I've been toying around with, an adrenalin junkie runner type who's a bit lazy and thus uses chips for everything. Great statline and cyberware, minimal skills, chipped skills for absolutely everything. Can also drop a personafix if he feels like his personality isn't appropriate to the situation. Originally he was going to have some computer skill, but I guess if there's no decking at all I could build him a little different for this game. However, as part of his background, he's chipped so much stuff into and out of his head that he's lost a bit of himself... I gave him the lowest level amnesia flaw. It's just for roleplay, but it doesn't hurt the stats of the character, as it were... should I not use that as a point flaw?

JaronK
FXcalibur
QUOTE (JaronK @ Jul 6 2004, 01:56 PM)
I gave him the lowest level amnesia flaw.  It's just for roleplay, but it doesn't hurt the stats of the character, as it were... should I not use that as a point flaw?

Hmm, tough call. Tell you what, you treat it like a point flaw and also make sure it shows up in the roleplaying smile.gif I think it's mandatory GMs get to mess with you a bit if you have 'amnesia'. I'm no evil GM, so I'm not out to mess you up, just that if you have a point flaw I want to see some effect in the game, be it roleplaying or statistics wise. In other words, I don't want to make opposition with squirt rifles loaded with lemon juice wink.gif

And the other concepts sound mighty fine! Looks like the game might very well take off. Thanks guys! smile.gif
JaronK
Sounds fun. After about a year in his past, everything starts to get fuzzy (he's lost skills because of it, but I just represent that by taking skills at priority E), so feel free to screw around with him if you like! I certainly don't mind scenes like that:

*Bang Bang* "I think I can hold them off" *Bang Bang*

"Roger? Is that you over there shooting at us?" *Bang*

*Bang* "What? Who the hell are you?"

etc.
FXcalibur
Sure thing wink.gif
Number 6
I've got an orc street sam i'd like to enter.
FXcalibur
Sounds good. There's still space smile.gif
PBTHHHHT
Room for another one? I think I'll take a plain light cyber merc/medic. nyahnyah.gif
FXcalibur
Yep. Looks like there's still room.
JaronK
Since this isn't in game to my knowledge, what would you say would be the cost of a pair of shades that had ultra vision and a heads up display in them? I'm assuming the mechanic would be an emitter on one side of the shades, and a reciever on the other. Or of course, you could just say I can't have 'em, but he'd look so COOL with them on...
Panzergeist
I have a SURGEd physad concept I would like to try. Count me in.
Beast of Revolutions
I'd like to try playing a shaman with demolitions skills. In addition to being a great combat magician, he would have the skills needed to defuse the bomb.

Panzer, let's coordinate. Maybe we can make our characters brothers? Give them some cheesy name like Yin and Yang, or the Orichalcum Brothers. But not Mario and Luigi. Anything but that.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Okay, I got an idea, but it's a bit out there. Dunno if it'll mesh. I was thinking it'd be kinda cool to play a normal guy with a SIN and everything...but a normal guy from Sioux in the NAN. He went through his required military training and ended his time without taking any extra tours. He'd own a pistol and have a permit for it, some basic armoured clothes and his adept powers. He's not recruited, per se, but he happens to be in "the right place at the right time" and have the skills to do the job (now could someone kindly loan him their assault rifle?).

Once he knew the score, being a Sioux, he'd be all about kicking some terrorist ass! How's it sound? Too out there for this game?
PBTHHHHT
I have two words for what you have mentioned Mikey...

DIE HARD!

Always wanted to play something equivalent to Die Hard in Shadowrun.... though as one of the 'terrorists'. hehehe nyahnyah.gif
FXcalibur
ince this isn't in game to my knowledge, what would you say would be the cost of a pair of shades that had ultra vision and a heads up display in them? I'm assuming the mechanic would be an emitter on one side of the shades, and a reciever on the other. Or of course, you could just say I can't have 'em, but he'd look so COOL with them on...

Let's see... Does 3000 seem reasonable to you?

I have a SURGEd physad concept I would like to try. Count me in.

Sure. But like I said, SURGE is on a case by case basis. Run by me which SURGE effects you want...as well as give me their mechanical effects. Don't own YotC nyahnyah.gif

I'd like to try playing a shaman with demolitions skills. In addition to being a great combat magician, he would have the skills needed to defuse the bomb.

Panzer, let's coordinate. Maybe we can make our characters brothers? Give them some cheesy name like Yin and Yang, or the Orichalcum Brothers. But not Mario and Luigi. Anything but that.

Sounds mighty viable.

Okay, I got an idea, but it's a bit out there. Dunno if it'll mesh. I was thinking it'd be kinda cool to play a normal guy with a SIN and everything...but a normal guy from Sioux in the NAN. He went through his required military training and ended his time without taking any extra tours. He'd own a pistol and have a permit for it, some basic armoured clothes and his adept powers. He's not recruited, per se, but he happens to be in "the right place at the right time" and have the skills to do the job (now could someone kindly loan him their assault rifle?).

Once he knew the score, being a Sioux, he'd be all about kicking some terrorist ass! How's it sound? Too out there for this game?

Works for me.

So many people nyahnyah.gif Looks like I'll have to divide you guys into two Fireteams when this begins...
Number 6
Hopefully in 2 threads?
FXcalibur
Possible, depending on how many people I end up with. Certainly looks that way now though.
JaronK
3000 seems pretty cheap, actually... not for the ultrasound part, but for the heads up display. I think they cost a bit more. But if you like 3,000, I shouldn't argue!

JaronK
FXcalibur
I thought you just wanted an ultrasound emitter and goggles built into a pair of shades nyahnyah.gif The costs in SR3 are 1300 and 1100, so 3000 seems enough. If you mean you want an Image Link HUD with datajack, you'll need a bit more. Probably 5.5K.
GreatChicken
Got this demolitions expert idea that I plan to enter this one with. He'll be mildly cracked in the head, and will look like a cliched German professor (complete with beard and mustache, grey) and even speaks in phake cartoonish German accent. He'll jump at the chance to create "Ze beeg BOOM."

But I can't seem to find a B/R Demolitions Skill. Is it covered in Demolitions already?
Roadspike
I'd love to drop an Orc Merc into the mix, but I'm getting married on the 17th and will be out of town until the 27th (honeymoon and all). After that, I could get at least a post a day out during the week. If there is any sort of delay that would hold the starting-date off until the 27th, I'd love to get in (I can completely understand not wanting to hold off for two whole weeks, however).
FXcalibur
Sorry, two weeks is a bit much.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (GreatChicken)
Got this demolitions expert idea that I plan to enter this one with. He'll be mildly cracked in the head, and will look like a cliched German professor (complete with beard and mustache, grey) and even speaks in phake cartoonish German accent. He'll jump at the chance to create "Ze beeg BOOM."

Great we'll not only have to worry about the terrorists but also one of our own teammates.... If he's that messed up, the tactical nuke is tempting for him to achieve his 'Ze beeg BOOM'.... nyahnyah.gif
Number 6
QUOTE (GreatChicken @ Jul 7 2004, 08:29 AM)

I conccur with PBTHHHHT, is such a character likely in a group of elite corp anti-terrorist experts? FXcaliber makes the call, but I have reservations.

How many style points is finding the Sioux ass-kicker worth? biggrin.gif

Has anyone else considered going all Battletac?
TinkerGnome
All radio, certainly. Someone volunteering to hold the master unit for a battletac network?
Number 6
Maybe. I haven't seriouslly looked at my character yet, but it's something i've been thinking about for awhile. Dunno if I wanna invest in the heinously expensive tac computer though.
kevyn668
Any room or all full?

I've got a pretty standard Merc lined up. Former UCAS Ranger, washed out of Special Forces (The best of the best of the best. Sir!)school, and did a 3 tour on the indi circuit.
JaronK
QUOTE (FXcalibur)
I thought you just wanted an ultrasound emitter and goggles built into a pair of shades nyahnyah.gif The costs in SR3 are 1300 and 1100, so 3000 seems enough. If you mean you want an Image Link HUD with datajack, you'll need a bit more. Probably 5.5K.

Right then. I'll be able to finish him up shortly.

JaronK
kevyn668
I do this all the time but, are you allowing Raygun's guns? <eyes Colt M-23 Whisper>
Panzergeist
Can we buy edges and lose flaws with karma? I want the 8-point ambidexterity edge, but I can't find any acceptable combination of flaws to balance it.
Beast of Revolutions
Hey, why are there two required fixer contacts to choose from? Are we going to be doing two jobs at once? That would be cool. I've always wanted to do a run where you have two sets of conflicting, but not mutually exclusive, objectives.

Like, objective one is to defuse the bomb and kill or capture the terrorists, objective two is to capture one of the terrorists unharmed and return him to his rich father who doesn't want the political scanal of having his son revealed as a maniac terrorist.

Better yet, a third objective: capture the bomb and deliver it more or less intact to the Johnson, while faking its destruction so that Johnson #1 doesn't get suspicious.
GreatChicken
I conccur with PBTHHHHT, is such a character likely in a group of elite corp anti-terrorist experts? FXcaliber makes the call, but I have reservations.

Well, if you need someone to disarm a nuke, he's your man, although he'd most likely ask for the warhead itself as payment...to expand upon his collection. grinbig.gif
FXcalibur
Any room or all full?

I've got a pretty standard Merc lined up. Former UCAS Ranger, washed out of Special Forces (The best of the best of the best. Sir!)school, and did a 3 tour on the indi circuit.

Welcome to the game.

I do this all the time but, are you allowing Raygun's guns? <eyes Colt M-23 Whisper>

That would count as a custom gun, good sir. raygun's arms are notoriously lethal, yet addictively fun. Contact me and we'll talk shop and gun stats. I'm sure we can work something out.

Can we buy edges and lose flaws with karma? I want the 8-point ambidexterity edge, but I can't find any acceptable combination of flaws to balance it.

Five karma per point. Sound good?

Hey, why are there two required fixer contacts to choose from? Are we going to be doing two jobs at once? That would be cool. I've always wanted to do a run where you have two sets of conflicting, but not mutually exclusive, objectives.

Like, objective one is to defuse the bomb and kill or capture the terrorists, objective two is to capture one of the terrorists unharmed and return him to his rich father who doesn't want the political scanal of having his son revealed as a maniac terrorist.

Better yet, a third objective: capture the bomb and deliver it more or less intact to the Johnson, while faking its destruction so that Johnson #1 doesn't get suspicious.

Nah, no such hilarious hijinks from me this time. It's just that the Johnson now contacts two fixers since he's looking for really good runners.

Well, if you need someone to disarm a nuke, he's your man, although he'd most likely ask for the warhead itself as payment...to expand upon his collection. 

I'm sorry, but I cannot accept this character. I did say that I didn't mind quirky personalities, but with this play attitude...no, you won't mesh well with the team or game very well.
GreatChicken
I'm sorry, but I cannot accept this character. I did say that I didn't mind quirky personalities, but with this play attitude...no, you won't mesh well with the team or game very well.

Ok. I'll rework it and make him an anti-trap / trap person, specializing in explosive ones. Same quirks. sleepy.gif
Digital Heroin
I have an explosives expert lying around I can offer. He's a sociopath, but a very professional one. Mission oriented, Battletac wired, and just about ready to go (need to modify a touch).
FXcalibur
I've received Slash and Burn from Panzer and Beast. They look good so far. Now excuse me while I go think up a way to get past that 17 karma pool nyahnyah.gif
kevyn668
FXcalibur Posted on Jul 8 2004, 12:19 AM
Any room or all full?

Welcome to the game.

Sweet!!

That would count as a custom gun, good sir. raygun's arms are notoriously lethal, yet addictively fun. Contact me and we'll talk shop and gun stats. I'm sure we can work something out.

Wicked Sweet!!
FXcalibur
People, when I say something is available on a case by case basis, I am referring to active discussion either here or by PM. I do not appreciate it if you take SURGE or raygun's arms wholesale and then only tell me on the very last day when you submit your character. No, I want to discuss with you their implementation and possible changes. There's a reason they are limited.
kevyn668
For buying contacts after initial CharGen, do you want us to pay in karma or cash? Either way, how much?

You'll get a PM from me pretty soon regarding the weapon I was looking at from Raygun.
FXcalibur
Same costs as chargen. 5k for level 1, 10k level 2, 200k level 3.
Bearclaw
If I spend the points for the enchanting, and tattooing skills, take the tattoo magic metamagic skill and learn the spells, can I tattoo incresed reaction 4 and increased dex 4?
BGMFH
Room for a PhysMage based around the concept of the Patryn's in the DeathGate Cycle? Mostly a physad, has an ally spirit, a few minor spells and topnotch spell defense.

Could have the Master unit duct taped to his back while he was sleeping and probably not notice the weight till he hit it on something or tried to do a backflip or something.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Okay, I'll have a character sent in by tomorrow night...stupid 12 hour overnight work shifts are making my brain all fuzzy, so I hadda put it off.
FXcalibur
There is room, because I don't have the heart to discourage anybody. i r teh wimp smile.gif Seriously speaking, I will acommodate as many people as possible - No need to ask, just get a sheet on my desk on the due date, and I'll seperate the group into multiple fireteams. Currently two, but looks like it's going to be three.

I'm not sure everyone who posted will be joining either.
Fu-Man Chu
Hmmmm, well, if your accepting basically all comers - I've got a Troll Mage Astral Specialist that I'd like to submit to be Astral surveillance/overwatch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012