Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: S-Run.net
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DV8
Today I was checking the access logs to my website, and I saw a couple of visitors had come in through this link, so I decided to take a look.

Apparently, I ripped off his website design.

The website's creator calls himself SuperFly, and I was wondering if he or she frequented this place and could give me some sort of explanation for two things;

1. Why host a link to my website and then be so slanderous about it. It seems rather paradoxal to me. You know...doing me a favour and at the same time trying to discredit me.
2. What, exactly, is it about his "design" that I supposedly ripped off?

If anyone can tell me, you win a cookie.
mfb
well, you use PHP and javascript, while he uses straight html, so obviously you just ripped his code right off the browser. it's also obvious that this guy has the first clue of what he's talking about, and that he's not an idiot in the least. he probably invented the left-side table of links, honestly, and possibly came up with the idea of using a blue-on-black theme. you're a dirty, dirty man, dv8. shame on you.
Ancient History
No damn clue. I like your website better anywho, D. It's purty and useful.
TinkerGnome
Wow, someone needs to make sure he gets his meds. Is it possible that your website was more like his at some point in the past? Because I'm not seeing it, save for the blue on black theme which 1/3 of all SR sites use.
Kanada Ten
Well, I'll just take the other side and say he's making a joke. No, not terribly funny but more on the self-deprecating side. From the rest of the site, most of the time he uses that sense of humor. I would almost go out on a limb and say it's an in joke. But you could email him and ask if it bothers you horribly.
GreatChicken
There's very little similarity between your site and that poor misguided soul's, not enough to warrant being defined as plagarizing.

Plus, PHP, ASP and other website scripting stuff are pretty much open source, and all can be traced back to some freely avaliable script from educational sites... ohplease.gif
DV8
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
But you could email him and ask if it bothers you horribly.

Yeah, I did. I'll let you know what he says if he says anything.

You know, I'm actually a little fucked off about this. I know I shouldn't be, but I am.
mfb
that's the funniest part, though. DV8 uses PHP and javascript for his page; the other site uses straight html. if the guy had any clue what he was talking about, he could look at DV8's code and go "oh, DV8's page uses technology i've never even heard of, much less implemented in my page, ergo he could not have possibly ripped it off my page."
Adam
Well, the design could still have been ripped off, even though it obviously wasn't.
Herald of Verjigorm
Your page is an obvious rip-off. You stole his design of blueish text on a dark background with copyright information at the bottom and the page logo above the menu.
Plastic Rat
I'm inclined to go with the joke idea. Wired-Reflexes is one of the better known SR sites out there. It would be kinda like me setting up an online marketing site tomorow and putting in a link to Amazon.com with a "the guys who stole our idea" tongue in cheek message.

I'm pretty sure he's joking about it, don't get too riled up and find you fell for someone else's satire.
DV8
Perhaps I am a bit too riled up, but...you know what? I'm offended. I think it's not true, and therefore people who don't know any better might think he's not bullshitting. That makes it slanderous. I put a lot of time and effort into the page, and I'm...well, just fucked off. If it's a joke, I don't think it's funny, and it's tasteless.

But yeah, you're right, I shouldn't get riled up. <mantra>I'm above this.</mantra> smile.gif
Bull
Way back when #Shadowrun didn't suck so much and was on Undernet, there was a handful of twinks that decided they didn't like us and broke off and formed their own Undernet channel, #S-run. Superfly was one of them.

<shrug>

I don't remember him or his clique too well, I just remember that no one lamented their leaving. Though IIRC we did occcasonally get "Spies" from there, for some reason.

God, it's been a long time since Undernet.

<shrug>

#S-run may even still be around on Undernet for all I know.

Bull
FlakJacket
Gods, but I think I remember this guy. We had a couple of the old #S-run people turn up on #Shadowrun, must have been about a year or so back I think. As Bull politely intimated, they were assholes. Deev, unfortunately I don't think this guy was joking but actually serious about the comment. He's an idiot, just rise above it man.
Bigity
This guy sounds like Squidi
Glyph
From the latest update, it sounds like Superfly is being deployed to Iraq, so he probably won't reply to DV8. I think the comment is a (somewhat weak) attempt at humor - I mean, if he really thought DV8 was ripping off his site, he would hardly put up a link to it. But it's a lot like when White Wolf did that fake website of a religious right-winger dissing their game - if you didn't get the joke, you wound up being misinformed, which is bad. frown.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
He has the wrong URL for Shadowland.
UnsungRequiem
We've all met people like this. Insufferable pissants who can't stand losing or being proven wrong. So, what do they do when something like this happens? They do what any "reasonable" person would do. They attack the person responsible for their defeat. They accuse them of cheating, lying, and in your case "stealing".

I know it's hard, but my advice is ignore him. His is nothing....the dirt beneath your shoes. You know you haven't stolen anything, and the more you try and reason with him, the more he'll realize he is getting under your skin. If you find that you are still unable to ignore him, remember this; He is not a person, he is ignorance personified."
DV8

Dennis,

Just dropping you a quick line from here in Japan to let you know that it happens t be a joke.  I discovered your site while looking for an old Shadowrun-related movie list and was impressed.

Obviously, your site has a lot of time and effort put into it, and I vaguely recognized it from back when it wasn't structured in the current look at all.  I commented that your site had the same "feel" as my on, which lead to us joking that it was "Mine++", etc.  There are similarities, sch as your "Shadowrun" page looking like an updated version of my own "What is Shadowrun" page, etc...But they're obviously coincidences and neither of them are very original.

It is paradoxil because it's meant as an inside joke among some of our regulars.  I'm sorry if you weren't in on the joke, but I hope you can respect it now.

I am sorry but I will neither remove your link or change the phrasing as it is simply meant as a joke.  I respect the time and effort put into your site and visit it frequently for a good reason.  I hope that this is satisfactory for you, as I believe any publicity and competition is good for all websites.

Enjoy yourself, and feel free to drop by #S-Run on Undernet.  You've got a lot of great story ideas and I'm sure you could run a mean campaign.

Sincerely,
The SuperFly

What a jackass.
shadd4d
An inside joke no one knows is not a joke.

He could have had the decency to actually sign with his real name.

Don
Ancient History
Ja. eek.gif
mfb
yes. polite letters and apologies are the earmarks of jackasses everywhere.
Dax
I personally think his reply to DV8 was...kinda stupid. An inside joke that appears as an insult, on a public area, and then tell the person who might take it as an insult that he won't change it, beacuse you weren't in on the joke....

What the hell? It just doesn't make any sence to me....
Ancient History
I think the half-assed attempt to justify how their sites looked similar was worse than his "Yeah, it's wrong but I'm a dick and I won't change it" bit.
Zazen
WHO CARES.

He says dumb things. He looks dumb. He just got married to an equally dim-looking girl at the age of 22 and then solidified the bond of love by hopping off with the marines. He gets his license suspended because he's too dumb to pay his tickets. He's as dumb as, well, most people I know.

So then he goes off and makes a dumb joke about a web site. Who really cares?
Kesh
DV8, because this site may harm his own reputation with its accusations. Just because the site author is an idiot doesn't mean it's harmless.
Misfit Toy
Anyone who bases their opinions on what someone jots down on a lame website as a footnote to a link, especially to a superior site, is someone who's opinion isn't worth worrying about.
tjn
QUOTE (Misfit Toy)
Anyone who bases their opinions on what someone jots down on a lame website as a footnote to a link, especially to a superior site, is someone who's opinion isn't worth worrying about.

Yes, until there becomes a large number of someones. Who go on and tell other someones. And somewhere along the line, the masses believe the lie.

QUOTE (mfb)
yes. polite letters and apologies are the earmarks of jackasses everywhere.

The fact he won't take down the "joke" when DV8 asked him to is the earmark of jackassery.
Zazen
QUOTE (tjn @ Jul 11 2004, 10:45 PM)
QUOTE (Misfit Toy)

Yes, until there becomes a large number of someones. Who go on and tell other someones. And somewhere along the line, the masses believe the lie.

The man who bases his opinion on a second-hand account of what someone jots down on a lame web site is even more pitiable than the one who saw it for himself.
Kagetenshi
And the majority of people are pretty damn pitiable, if they're even worth that anymore.

Yeah, if you have faith in humanity, no one will care. It must be nice to still have that kind of faith.

~J
Slamm-O
i like dv8 and really like his site, but i think he is being way to anal about this. Im just going on this thread but come on, the guy gave a sincere and flattering apology. noone who follows that link can actually think dv8 ripped off the guy, dv8s quality is way better. In case i am wrong and some do think that it is, they dont care, if they did they would take the time to study them to see the differences and find next to none.

im going to sya that something was lost in translation, or maybe deev has been having a bad week, because anyone who after that apology is pissed off still is way to anal to be anything but a jerk to humanity in general, and that goes for any spectators who (unless spurred by a bad mood or other excuse, like knowing the guy superfly as a jerk) think that superfly did something terribly meanspirited.

'twas all in good fun.
tjn
QUOTE (Zazen)
QUOTE (tjn @ Jul 11 2004, 10:45 PM)
QUOTE (Misfit Toy)

The man who bases his opinion on a second-hand account of what someone jots down on a lame web site is even more pitiable than the one who saw it for himself.

"You're not going to that restaurant are you? A guy I know went there and was sick for three days afterward! I hear they must have rats in the kitchen."

"Oh man, stay away from that neighboorhood, I have a friend who used to live there, and there's drug dealers on every corner and a driveby every afternoon. You're gonna get shot if you go down there."

"Dude, don't even think twice about that girl man, she's swimming in all sorts of diseases. She's a slut of the first order man, I even heard she went down on Steve. You remember Steve? He used to work over at Burger Barn and had the hygiene of a pig? You want to be kissing that man? Plus I hear she's into meth."

The point of these three? It happens everyday, even though there's no indictation whatsoever of the validity of those statements. It's a part of human existance, a social device meant to provide safety. Originally probably amounted to "don't eat berries. Ugg died." and has evolved in it's own way in our society.

Everyone does it to one extent or another. Another phrase is "Word of Mouth." Companies spend billions of dollars in attempts to generate positive word of mouth for their products, and generate negative word of mouth for their competitors. It's effective and it works.

It may be lame, it may be pitiable, but it's also reality.
Adam
I think we're pretty far off topic now guys. Let's bring this back to relevancy or let it die. Thanks!
Zazen
Everyone does it to one extent or another. Another phrase is "Word of Mouth." Companies spend billions of dollars in attempts to generate positive word of mouth for their products, and generate negative word of mouth for their competitors. It's effective and it works.

But Crito, why should we care what people will think? Reasonable men, who are the ones worth considering, will believe that things happened as they did.
Rajaat99
I have never visited DV8's site before *Gasp*, but now I have and I'm going to check it out more. So, he kinda did you a favor.
Dice
QUOTE (DV8)
Perhaps I am a bit too riled up, but...you know what? I'm offended. I think it's not true, and therefore people who don't know any better might think he's not bullshitting. That makes it slanderous. I put a lot of time and effort into the page, and I'm...well, just fucked off. If it's a joke, I don't think it's funny, and it's tasteless.

But yeah, you're right, I shouldn't get riled up. <mantra>I'm above this.</mantra> smile.gif

It's Libelous, not slanderous (Libel is written, slander is spoken)

As it is, given his email acknowledging it is not true, yet still refusing to change it, you probably (I am not a lawyer) have an almost cast iron case if you should choose to take legal action.
Person 404
No offense to DV8, but I sincerely hope that any judge would laugh a suit over an offhand reference in one obscure fansite to another fansite out of court.
Zazen
And when asked about damages, say that the major traffic reduction caused by the comment has diminished your access to web-groupie and gamer poon. sarcastic.gif
DV8
This isn't a court of law, and I'm not persuing damages. I just don't like that anyone can wander in, like I did, and stumble across what, to all not in the know, seems like a gargantuan diss towards me and my website. I asked fuck-knuckle if he'd take down the link entirely, and he said no because he can't seem to see past his own nose that it might negatively affect the reputation of my website. His words; it's good competition. Well, I don't agree.
Dragonslayer
Really the easiest way to handle internet items is to let the internet be the solution. Put a link to his page or a screenshot of it onto your site and ask your visitors if they disagree with his statement, or fail to see the humor in it to each write 1 email. If you've got a decent amount of traffic and half of them send an email it could do a good job of making his inbox a nightmare for a while. Might be enough to get him to change it, or just get him more riled up, just an idea really.
Pistons
Not a bad idea. This is just speaking personally, of course -- as an admin, I have no opinion on the matter.
WolfJack
QUOTE (shadd4d)
An inside joke no one knows is not a joke.

Two words:

Andy and Kaufman

-Wolf
aka Adam
Nikoli
Kaufman was the bomb. He just kept forgetting who the audience was supposed to be and who the actor/comedian was supposed to be.

Personally, i think he should be awarded some post-mortem kudos for his skills in social engineering.
Mr.Platinum
Wah, what a bitch.
DV8 you page is so much better, I even use it for the University gaming club so they can read about redmond.
Eldritch
And the Web Wars began...

His sight is nowhere near the quailty or content of your's Dv8.

By all means, put up a note on your sight explaining the situatiuon and how you feel about it. Ask your visitors to e-mail the guy, tell him that what his is doing is wrong. If you can get most of your 136 registered users and a few of your visitors to e-mail the guy he may get tired of his inbox filling up.

But I'd keep it cordial, keep the ranting out. If he gets too much of that he's liable to keep it up out of spite.

my 2 nuyen.gif

Now get off that Cthulu (sp) stuff and get back to work on Shadowrun!! smile.gif
tisoz
Look at all the guys you got to post to this thread that hardly ever post. smile.gif

I've got to agree, your reaction to the explanation/apology was less than graceful. My question is: who's site is older?

Even if you are not an insider, after looking at both sites, the joke is pretty obvious. His explanation is exactly what I supposed after looking at the two.
Wireknight
QUOTE (DV8)
This isn't a court of law, and I'm not persuing damages. I just don't like that anyone can wander in, like I did, and stumble across what, to all not in the know, seems like a gargantuan diss towards me and my website. I asked fuck-knuckle if he'd take down the link entirely, and he said no because he can't seem to see past his own nose that it might negatively affect the reputation of my website. His words; it's good competition. Well, I don't agree.

Anyone who follows the link on his site will, in very short order, understand that either:

A. It is a joke.

or

B. Superfly is a joke.

Insisting he take down his lameass comment about your site indicates a real inferiority complex. Your site is sophisticated, obviously professionally done, and employs advanced web design methodologies that his page doesn't even touch upon. Your transubstantiation of molehill into mountain does a lot more damage to your rep than the presence of that link.

If this is a jackassery contest, you're definitely pulling ahead.
DV8
Why thank you. sarcastic.gif

Regardless, I hope we'll soon see the official opening of WireKnight.net.
Pistons
This thread doesn't seem to be accomplishing much except garnering flames right now. Deev, I understand your concern and sympathize, but I don't think there's anything any of us can do that we aren't doing right now, which is making people aware of the "joke." I'm going to close the thread for now. If there's something else that can be done in this thread, let me know so I can reopen it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012