Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: In Heaven and Earth
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
TinkerGnome
ic.gif Board

Right now, we need to do some basic stuff. Everyone post a quick description of your character (IC appearance and OOC general abilities) and the group, as a whole needs to select a leader.

Character sheets are due first thing Monday morning, EDT.

The players are:
  • JaronK -- Paris (Paris)
  • WinterRat1 -- Mako (shark shamanist, human)
  • FXcalibur -- Marionette (lion shaman, dwarf)
  • Paul_Harkonen -- Shade (stealth/B&E, adept, probably human give the concept)
  • Shadow -- Blaze/Drake (Wyrm shaman, ork)
  • Misfit Toy -- Belfast (Belfast, human) Withdrawn for personal reasons.
I intend to have the first IC post up tomorrow sometime. You can post as as you've given your character description here, I don't have to have a full character sheet at that point. Once the meet begins (sometime Monday-Tuesday) I will need that sheet.
FXcalibur
A quick sketch of Marion, from my Character Sheet:

APPEARANCE
Marion is of Chinese-French descent, though she appears extremely “bland” when it comes to determining her heritage by just looks alone. She has black hair dyed red in a few streaks and combed back neatly, held in place with a black hair band. She has deep brown eyes, though her vision isn’t very good – She wears glasses (geased) most of the time.

Physically, Marion’s very slightly taller than the average dwarf but appears to look very child-like, even to other dwarfs. She’s a very dedicated and learned magician, though she usually has to earn respect because of the way people treat her. She commonly wears a nice warm cloak most of the time as well as insulated black gloves. Commonly seen nibbling on ration bars.

Long story short, Marion's build makes her look like a very young human child (she isn't too old anyway), and she often gets treated as one, no matter who she works with. She's a pretty high grade initiate though and comes with a general range of spells - stunball, armour, influence, IR+3, trid phantasm... She relies more on spells than spirits, though she's good enough with both.

Wears an Armante Merlin Cloak minus the silly symbols - It's a soft and warm all-black cloak she uses because Seattle can get cold at times.

Edit: Oh yeah, average (4-5) social skills too.
JaronK
Paris is a blonde haired, green eyed elf, in his mid 30's. He looks physically fit, with close cropped, neat hair. He is often quiet until he needs to be otherwise, chosing not to reveal what he can do until he sees that it's necessary that he do it. His character is based on a few things: the picture of the weapons expert in the SR3 book, the lead character in Ronin, and Willam Dafoe's character in Platoon.

His abilities are what you'd expect from a higher level ex military character: high skills with assault rifles, rifles, and pistols, some decent demolitions, military leadership, and wilderness survival skills. He spent some time working as an assassin, using a cover as a corporate consultant, and thus has some decent accounting and corporate culture type skills. He's also a master with a sniper rifle.
Shadow
Drake is a physically imposing ork. Not as big or as strong as others of his kind, but he certainly has a presence. He sports a shaved head, which he keeps waxed so that it is nice and smooth. His eyes are a malted blue and appear to be real. He has no visible tats or piercings. He tends to where dark pullover shirts and sweaters along with jeans and running shoes, topped off with a sleeveless leather long coat. A few pieces of silver jewelry complete his look, a necklace shaped like a tooth, a ring on his right index finger that is a snake coil, and a bracelet on his left arm that appears to be made out of scales.
Misfit Toy
LIAM "BELFAST" McGUINNESS
Human Combat Mage of the Celtic Tradition

Belfast is an Irish immigrant who emerged from beyond the Veil of Tir na n'Og less than a year ago. The first half of his stay in the New World was spent on the lam in Boston. He only made the move to Seattle five months back once he managed to scrap the cash together to get some bodywork done. Not long after his arrival in the Emerald City, he began hitting the shadows where he's since begun to build a name for himself as a man who can get things done.

One of the most curious aspects about Bel is that he seems to pick his jobs more than they pick him. If a run isn't at least somewhat challenging or promises an excursion into potentially hostile territory, he'll likely turn it down regardless of how much the Johnson is offering. Yet at the same time he makes his doss in a rathole of an apartment in Snohomish -- go figure. Whatever his motivation is for being in the biz, it's crystal clear that money has nothing to do with it. On one hand this gives others a reason to trust him because they know he can't be bought or that he won't turn on them just to make a few extra quid. But on the other hand, there's no way to predict how he would respond if something that went against his morals came up on the run. He's definitely a hard guy to read that way, but so far he hasn't given anyone a reason to mistrust him.

Speaking of morals, Bel clearly has quite a few even as skewed as they may seem to some. But, being the practical and sensible kind of man he is, he can be convinced to push them aside if a good enough reason is given. As previously mentioned, a bundle of cash isn't a good enough reason.

Physically, Bel is in phenomenal shape for a magician... hell, even for the majority of humans. He's atractive in that EuroTrash sort of way, but it's not something that really seems to register with him. He's very down to earth and prefers a pair of jeans and a t-shirt to the fancy threads you'd expect someone of his physique to be decked out in, and his hair is usually just a wavy mop on his head that he runs his fingers through to give it some shape. A pair of comfortable hiking boots, pitch-black shades, and a few tokens of silvered jewelry complete his day-to-day attire, though he'll thrown on a heavy naval peacoat or a brown leather jacket if the weather demands it.

As far as his abilities go, Bel has quite a talent for manipulating spirits but that is hardly the summation of his skills. He's not a leader, but he will take the helm if circumstances require it and has done so at least once in the past. In general Bel prefers to talk his way out of a situation but if push comes to shove, he has no problem shoving back...

Favorite Food: Kahuna Burger's VolcanoFries.
Favorite Drink: Guinness Dark.
Favorite Sport/Game: Texas Hold-Em Poker.
Favorite Simflick: Karl Kombatmage vs. the Buxom Blondes of Betelguese.
Favorite Song: Johnny Ray Walker's (a satyr blues guitarist from the late 40's) "Too Fragged to Shag."
Favorite Trid Program: Reruns of the Odd Coven.

Notable Spells: Clout, Transform, Lightning Bolt, Stunball, Mind Probe, Shape Earth, Animate, and Control Pack.
Notable Skills: Conjuring, Sorcery (Spellcasting), Drunken Boxing, Pistols (Glock 28), Interrogation (Verbal), Etiquette (Street), and Enchanting.
Metamagic Techniques: Anchoring, Channeling, Invoking, Masking, and Shielding.
Notable Edges/Flaws: Astral Chameleon, Bonus Attribute: Willpower (focused and stubborn), Police Record (juvenile deliquent in Tir na n'Og).
Known Connections: Strong connections in the black market, smuggling, magical, and freedom fighter fields. He has some politcal ties in Tir na n'Og and maintains a MagickNet account as well.
Obvious Weaknesses: Lack of protective magicks beyond spell defense and shielding. He has a very hermetic view of magic in general but sees spirits as sentient beings to be respected and socialized with, particularly the fey folk to which he is most attuned. Simple watcher spirits, however, receive no such respect from him.
Shadow
Hey Tink, thanks for extending the deadline. I am still working on my guy and I just am not happy with him. So I started him over from scratch. Now (finally) I think I am happy with him. I am going to send you my working for a living results. COuld you tell me if I did it right? THe numbers seem to good so I can only assume I screwed up. To be fair, I used the same rolls from my last incarnation. Thanks.
WinterRat1
Mako is a human shark shamanist, about 5'7, 145lbs. Typically dresses in orange and black, a carryover of his days as a Halloweener. Usually something like a black trench coat over black clothing, with an orange bandana tied somewhere to him. The other colors he prefer tend to be grey, white, and blue, like his namesake, the mako shark.

Mako lives for the hunt, and the kill, like his totem. He is completely consumed by professionalism, and pursues his task with single-minded efficiency. He enjoys the thrill of running a target to ground, and savors the moment right before he lets loose with the killing blow.

Mako dislikes corporations/corporate types, and dislikes weakness. The strong survive, and those who are incapable or incompetent are a waste of his time.
Note that this does not simply refer to combat capabilities. Shark recognizes that all hunt in their own way, and a decker’s hunt or a rigger’s hunt, while different from his, does not indicate weakness. Their hunt is foreign to Shark, but they are capable in their own hunts, and as such should be respected for that.

Mako is a big aficionado of hunting, (surprise surprise) and the martial arts and combat activities. He’s a big Urban Brawl, Combat Biker, and Desert Wars fan. He loves to be able to watch the events in person and makes it a point to attend when he can. On the opposite end, he doesn’t like art, or any of the finer things in life. Shark eats garbage like that in the ocean, and he considers it a waste of energy to pursue those areas in his life. He also enjoys graffiti, often painting ‘artistic’ things over with graffiti in Halloweener or sea-based motifs. He views this as ‘eating’ the garbage of the human race, in a sense. Munch munch.

His abilities are geared towards tracking people down and killing them. He uses spells almost exclusively, only resorting to other means when absolutely necessary. He is very aggressive in combat and generally tries to end a fight as quickly as possible, coming in directly and brutally, going straight for the kill.

An interesting factoid about Mako is that one of his major goals is working towards the establishment of a community as free as possible from the greed and ambition that run through the Sixth World. A sort of peaceful utopia. He is working with numerous other magicians to try to facilitate this peaceful community, and to build and defend it from those who would take it away. Strange, neh? But that's the sixth World for ya chummer...

(if anyone wants to read/swap backgrounds, just PM me and I'll send you a copy for your reading enjoyment) smile.gif
Misfit Toy
I can't begin to tell you how tickled (did I just say "tickled?") I am that this group is almost entirely composed of magicians while the other groups is composed almost entirely of mundane orks. Can't wait to see how these games work out. smile.gif

Looks like we have a good group nonetheless! Does anyone want to volunteer for leadership duties? I'm not really fond of it myself (mostly because few people seem to like my style of it), but if no one else wants to volunteer, I suppose Bel could handle it again.
FXcalibur
I won't mind giving leadership a shot since it fits my character's...uh...character. But can your own characters acknowledge leadership from someone who looks like a child whose hair looks like it was the subject of a quickened makeover spell? I kinda doubt it, but my offer's there anyway smile.gif
TinkerGnome
The IC board is up.

Arrival at the meet post: Monday
Meet starts: Tuesday.
JaronK
My character has the appropriate skills for leadership (some Military Leadership skill, some knowledge small unit tactics) but his personalty may not be quite right for the job, and OOC I may not be experienced enough.

JaronK
paul_HArkonen
my character has got skills in assination. pistols, edgedweapons and stealth out the rear end. I will NOT be the leader, it just doesn't fit with his character.
WinterRat1
I hereby UNnominate myself for leadership. Mako is like, well...a shark. (Surprise surprise) That means great at certain things (hunting and killing) but not so great at others (being friendly and not killing). Plus, he's like a bomb, very focused, and very good at his purpose, but not really something you'd want giving you direction in life. Besides, I go berserk (maybe) whenever I kill someone or get hurt. Probably NOT the best quality to have in a leader.

Misfit, what is it about your leadership style that people don't like? Just give us a little warning. wink.gif Personally, I'm willing to nominate you for a go at it (leadership, that is).
Misfit Toy
I dunno. I got the impression that a few others thought I was being domineering and telling them what to do. You can read through the old IC thread for Vein of Truth and judge for yourself. I was going by the name "A Rodent of Unusual Size" at the time.

My vote's for Marionette if for no other reason than that I love puppets. biggrin.gif I'm not sure how Bel will handle taking orders from what he'll likely perceive to be a little kid (say Strike Two to Frederick), but if she has the skills and the cajones to pull it off, I'm game. smile.gif
TinkerGnome
Someone is going to be at least a little domineering. That's the reason we're electing a leader wink.gif
Misfit Toy
Well duh. The animosity most of the team showed towards Bel was... a little extreme... despite that. smile.gif
Shadow
Well I was just going to step up IC, but since your doing it OOC... my character has the skills, charisma and talent to be a leader, and so do I. I end up doing it in most of the games I am in anyways. So I am up for it if you all are.

I am not sure how Drake would take orders from a anime child, but if that's what the group wanted he would go with it.
Misfit Toy
In that case, I'm switching my vote to wyrm-boy. smile.gif
FXcalibur
Yeah. I suppose it's for the best. Nobody's open minded enough to take a child seriously in the shadows. Must be why SURGEd people are so discriminated upon too.
TinkerGnome
Well, at least he's not a dragon shaman. You know what they say about dragons and dealing.
WinterRat1
Well I was just going to step up IC, but since your doing it OOC... my character has the skills, charisma and talent to be a leader, and so do I. I end up doing it in most of the games I am in anyways. So I am up for it if you all are.

A man with confidence! I like that. smile.gif I saw you play in the game Crimson Assets, great skills there. Sounds good to me. I'll recast my vote for the Shadowman.
paul_HArkonen
sounds good to me.
Misfit Toy
Unfortunately, some things have come up and I'm going to have to pull out of all of my online games here on Dumpshock. Please feel free to NPC Belfast if necessary (which I doubt with so many magicians) until such a time as you can find a replacement for him. Sorry, everyone... have a blast!
Beast of Revolutions
Thor is a red-haired, red-bearded dwarf rigger with a submerisble van and a lot of drones. He could lead, as could I, but has no special qualifications for that.

Perception roll: 1 2 3 3 5 10
WinterRat1
Wait a second, I am confused. Correct me if I am mistaken, but aren't you in the OTHER game, Public Exposure Beast?
TinkerGnome
Yes, Beast should be in Public Exposure and not this one.

Also, Misfit, Belfast just won't get the call. That'll save us all trouble. Let me know when you're back around. You're certainly eligible to join in the next round of game(s) whenever those appear.
Beast of Revolutions
Ah shit, sorry.
TinkerGnome
A reminder: Characters are due today (contact me for an extension). Posts are due by this evening at the latest (reguardless of character status).
TinkerGnome
Because it probably isn't going to get met, the deadline for first posting on this thread has been moved ahead to Tuesday. The other game will get the second post tonight.
WinterRat1
I'm very sorry Tinker. I literally have been out all day and did not even get to READ the posts until 5am today...so yeah, I'll get cracking on it right away. frown.gif
TinkerGnome
Well, I'm obviously not upset wink.gif It's been a trying few days for myself, as well. I would like to get the meet to a semi-start by Wed night since it's likely that my posting might be limited on Thursday (I'll be flying to Rhode Island for work). This was all very last minute, so I couldn't really stall the starting of the games and hope to maintain interest.

Fortunately, it looks like the hotel is going to have wireless internet services, so I'll still be posting during that period. Given the way I generally act on travel, maybe even moreso than normal.
JaronK
In case anyone is confused about Paris's post, he's been working for the last month doing gun customizations through Frederick.

JaronK
JaronK
By the way Tinker, how did Fredrick respond to each of Paris's questions, especially the one about whether those pistols should be taken to the meet?
TinkerGnome
He said that he had a customer who had just realized he needed merchandise. He would have indicated that you didn't need anything special for the meet, but you might want to be ready for afterward.
JaronK
Just for fun, a few rolls!

[ Spoiler ]
TinkerGnome
Small post in the IC in a few.

I'm traveling tomorrow. Hopefully, the hotel has descent internet access (one web add says they do, others say nothing about it) and it won't adversely impact my posting. If it will, there will be a post tomorrow night to let you guys know what's up.
TinkerGnome
Magical knowledges, seattle knowledges, yakuza knowledges, spirit knowledges, and umm... street rumor knowledge skills could all be useful. Roll them up.

Sorry about being slow, guys. That's what happens when I try to get to work at 5am every day frown.gif
FXcalibur
Hmm, I only got Magical Knowledges. Dunno if they're useful but let's see.

[ Spoiler ]
FXcalibur
*pokes game*
WinterRat1
Here's every knowledge skill I have that might be remotely helpful. Use what you will. Also, could someone tell me how to create spoiler tags please? I couldn't figure it out. Thanks!

Downtown Seattle: 09 05 05 04 04 03 01
Information Gathering: 17 11 08 05 04 04 03
Street Gangs: 05 03 02 02 01 01
Magic Background: 05 03 03 02 01 01
FXcalibur
(spoiler)spoiler text here(/spoiler)

Replace () brackets with [] brackets.
JaronK
I don't think I have any relevent knowledge skills, unless corporate finance and such would count.
TinkerGnome
*the game pokes back*

Since no one knows anything from those roles, let's go on.
TinkerGnome
*poke*

Anyone going to at least ask the obvious question?
FXcalibur
Meat puppet, eh? Maybe we're facing a Loa or some other zombiesque foes. Shoulda brought a shotgun nyahnyah.gif

PS - Can anyone fill me in briefly on what Shedim are? I know they're in the metaplot and raising people and stuff, but what are they?
TinkerGnome
Spirits that possess dead bodies (or astrally projecting mage bodies) and get up and walk around. That's the basic of it. They came through the rift with Ghostwalker and look kind of like a blob of blackness with stars in it on the astral.
WinterRat1
well, since we're talking about details now, does someone want to start talking price with him? I have zero negotiation to speak of, so I vote myself out of initiating that discussion.
FXcalibur
I have 4 in negotiations, but others might have more.
JaronK
Paris has 5 negotiation, 5 psychology, and intelligence 7.
JaronK
I'm going to assume then that Paris is the best negotiator, since no one else has said anything, and go ahead with rolling his negotiations.

[ Spoiler ]

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012