Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New OSX SR3 Firearm Designer
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
ShadowGhost
Hey folks, I've got a new beta version of the Firearm Designer, fixing a few bugs and adding some new functions.

ShadowGhost's OS X SR3 Firearm Designer

"Save As" added.

Printing and Page Setup enabled - plain vanilla text, but has all the info for the firearm.

Main Window now much smaller - almost half the previous window size so it takes up less screen real estate.

Note: Street Index and Availability are not Canon. I simply created an average availability which is multiplied by the FCU of the base firearm frame to determine final availability of the customized firearm when bought, instead of built.

Don't like the Availability the program creates - use your own.

Beta Version 1.1 bug fixes and changes:

Several checkboxes that wouldn't let you uncheck them when FCU= 0

Shock Pad corrected to weight of .25, not 2

Belt feed is now an extra option for heavy weapons in addition to clip fed ammo, rather than exclusively either belt fed or clip fed.

Gigapulse
Looks cool. In wich language it is programed?

-Gig
ShadowGhost
Hey Gigapulse, it's programmed in RealBasic.

Until I have an extra $360US to spare to get the Professional Version of RealBasic, I can only compile for OSX. The Pro Version allows you to compile for Mac and Windows.

I've updated the screen captures on my website to show the new Beta Version - didn't have time yesterday.

You can see the smaller screen footprint of it at my website:

ShadowGhost's OSX Shadowrun Software Website

Gigapulse
The mac skin is the coolest. If anyone ports it to windows, will it look with the windows default skin??

-Gig
Adam
No; RealBasic apps take on the look-and-feel of the native OS.
Gigapulse
Bu hu! I'm kidding. Here is an idea. You can send the source code to someone that has the demo version of RealBasic for windows(so he can build an .exe), of course if you trust him.

-Gig
Connor
The new window size is great. However, when I add BF to the pistol I've created it doesn't update in the stat block, or get printed out. It does subtract from the FCU and other such though.
ShadowGhost
Thanks Connor - you made me realize I never added in the code to update the stat block whenever you select or change firing modes.

I appreciate the feedback and bug notices.

New version to come after the weekend with a few more bug fixes, including being able add a sound suppressor to shotguns, limiting the weapon to only slugs (shot and flechette cannot be used with sound suppressor), and cannot be used with with shotguns that fire burst or full auto modes, CC pg 103.

I have never seen an SR3 full auto shotgun. eek.gif
Connor
QUOTE (ShadowGhost)

I have never seen an SR3 full auto shotgun. eek.gif

Then you haven't been playing Shadowrun enough! nyahnyah.gif
mrobviousjosh
I understand that it's beyond your control at the present time and I can't do anything about that, but when you can get this program to run on a PC I am gonna be ALL OVER IT! This looks freakin' sweet! It's got a great interface and, if it includes all that you're saying it's going to, will be the only program I need for all of my firearm design needs. I don't even think I'd bother doing it on paper anymore. In short, though it will no doubt take time before I ever use it, thanks for making such a freakin' cool program.
Phayd2black
I gotta agree with mrobviousjosh, the firearms design programs I have, one is very...limited, and the other crashes at the first sign of real creativity (some of the people I RP with would probably call it OVER KILL! lol!)

I've been itching for a firearms design tool (that works) for a long time, and seeing as I don't have any programing know-how, I can't DIY one! lol!
Kagetenshi
Bug, I think: MMGs and HMGs only have single-shot mode available to them, which kinda defeats the purpose smile.gif

Also, selections carry over in weird ways. For instance, say I go to make aforementioned MMG, and make it belt fed. Then I decide that I really want to make an assault rifle. The button for beltfeeding will be greyed out, but selected, forcing one to switch back to some weapon style that can be beltfed before removing the option.

~J
ShadowGhost
Thanks for letting me know. The MMG and HMG should now be set properly, and the belt-fed option will automatically turn off when it's not enabled.

Version 1.4 is now up.
Kagetenshi
The version linked still has both bugs and claims to be version 1.0; check the posted file?

~J
Kagetenshi
Incidentally, a Version tag in the Get Info dialog in Finder would be appreciated (aren't I picky? wink.gif )

To reiterate, though, very nice and much appreciated.

~J
ShadowGhost
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Aug 24 2004, 02:20 AM)
The version linked still has both bugs and claims to be version 1.0; check the posted file?

~J

That is actually a browser problem - and I've experienced it before, when testing out the website to make sure everything worked. I too was getting older versions even though I swore I uploaded the new one. I'd test it with Netscape, Explorer, and Safari, and sure enough, I'd get the OLD version downloading.

I cleared the cache, history, and re-downloaded the file, and ended up with the older version still.

It was driving me frigging nuts until I used Transmit/Fetch to download the same file, from the same link - which turned out to be the latest version. I don't know why Safari downloads a non-existent version, but his has happened with other browsers too. Maybe I'll start changing the name and link to avoid this (need to make some updates to the site soon anyways).

This is a link you can use with Transmit. Try downloading with Safari/Netscape, and if you still get version 1.0, then try Transmit with the same link - you'll suddenly find it's version 1.4.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/gm_pocket_secre...rm_Designer.sit

I'll see what I can do about a version tag in the Get Info.
Connor
In Mozilla-based browsers you can do a 'hard refresh' of a site by doing (Control/Command)+Shift+R or holding (Control/Command)+Shift while clicking the refresh button. I haven't ever tried it in Safari, but that will allow you to reload the page properly without clearing the cache and everything.
Kagetenshi
New link works, thanks smile.gif

~J
craigpierce
QUOTE (Phayd2black)
I gotta agree with mrobviousjosh, the firearms design programs I have, one is very...limited, and the other crashes at the first sign of real creativity (some of the people I RP with would probably call it OVER KILL! lol!)

I've been itching for a firearms design tool (that works) for a long time, and seeing as I don't have any programing know-how, I can't DIY one! lol!

i would suggest, if you two really do want this program, sending shadowghost a little money. it would help his efforts, get the programs headed your way more quickly and, from what it looks like, he deserves a little compensation for his hard work.

i have a mac myself and i plan on sending a little cash his way if i like these programs. writing these programs for one OS is hard enough - and i figure if it works well for me then i owe him at least little something.

shadow - when will the Psecretary be ready? i'm really interested to see that one.
ShadowGhost
I know I've said this before.... but hopefully I'll have a beta version soon.

I had the daughtercard blow on my laptop shortly after I installed Panther (it was already going bad I believe), and so my PB was down for a couple weeks. Got a used daughtercard off eBay, reinstalled everything, and all the Panther updates when perfectly this time, and it's been runn perfectly ever since.

I rewrote the save engine to accomodate future additions and features, including whether a character is in human or animal form for shapeshifters, and whether a mage is astrally projecting, which of course affects reaction/initiative.

Added in a feature for Shapeshifter characters (swap between human and animal form which of course, changes physical stats.) - for NPCs it will have an option to auto-regenerate if it didn't roll a one (or two) on 1D6 - it regenerates automatically when Initiative is rolled.

I'm Adding in Astral initiative option (duh - I totally forgot this)

Changed the options for armor for NPC/PC - you have a list of the most common types, or you can enter your own, along with it's B/I rating.

Changed the layouts of a bunch of things so you only have one window open, whether you're in reaction, initiative, etc. I realized it was going to be a pain to jump back and forth between two windows.

I'll post updated screen shots in a little bit - I love how it looks in Panther over Jaguar
Erghitz
I dunno if anyone brought this up, but the word Velocity is spelled wrong when adding High-Velocity Capabilities to a gun. It's mispelled velcity or something.

-- Erghitz
ShadowGhost
Thanks for catching that..... Version 1.4.1 now available, and spelled correctly. biggrin.gif

Also, I posted a new animated screenshot for the GM Pocket Secretary, showing how it looks in Panther.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012