Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruitment: Trails of Reflections II
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Fenris
Alright, since the last group of players got bored and quit, I'm looking to restart my Trails of Reflections PbP game.

Looking for 6.

Setting: Upper end street level to lower end corporate runs. Setting will be Seattle, with possible runs stretching in Denver and CalFree State.

Time: April, 2064. If you want your character to be SURGE'd, I'll roll it. If you don't want to be SURGE'd, you won't be. For every benefit mother nature tosses out, there is a draw back. On the bright side, SURGE'd characters won't have to pay build points for their edges. On the dark side, there are drawbacks.

Build: Priority System, Sum to 10, Build Points (125), or BeCK's.

Additional: Add 50 karma and 250,000 (Money spent after chargen is with street index)

Karma for cash: 1 karma=5000 and vice-versa (bought karma does not add to karma pool)

Throw in any character concept you want, as my table top players know, I'm more interested in making sure everyone's having fun then playing a strictly cannon game. However, keep in mind that even metahuman's are prejudiced against the metavariants, so if you want to play a night one, expect people to stare, gawk, and remember you very clearly. Also, if you're going to play a Ghoul, keep in mind similar things. You smell like dead meat all the time, you have overly pale skin, you're blind, and it's uncomfortable almost to the point of pain to be in the sun. Bred Drakes, you'll have all that and more, including the whole automatic 6 point automatic Dragon Enemy. The only thing worse then dealing with dragons...

Since the characters are established, you can have custom gear. Just make sure it's detailed out.

I prefer the HTML or XML files that NSRCG spits out, but I'll take text files if I have to. Place character concepts in this thread, and I'll let everyone know who's in.

Here's a new twist: I'm requiring all the characters playing together to know each other and have at least a modicum of professional respect. At 50 karma you're all established runners, and I don't want any game destruction due to conflicting character types. I'm only looking for character concepts and backgrounds at this point, and I'll choose who I want in the game based on that. You guys, the players, will be expected to communicate via eMail, PM's, or whatever medium you feel appropriate and develop intermingled character backgrounds, skills, etc. Everybody knows everybody, everybody has a pretty good idea of what everyone can do, and you have to have run with at least 1 other character. Bonus karma may be awarded for exceptionally interesting or detailed backgrounds, but keep in mind that the backgrounds have to be created jointly, so you'll have to work with at least one other person to get it. I'm running this thread in tandem to my Striding the Soul's Edge game, so if you're looking for an excellent example of how'd I'd like this to run, check there and read up.

I'll be posting at least once a day, and I'll expect all my players to adhere to that, for the most part. Jobs, significant others, and dead grandmothers may get in the way, but I expect that to be the exception, not the rule.

Also, I'm taking a clue from a friend of mine running games on these boards, and I'll be bumping the storyline. If it's lagging or if things are moving too slowly, the thread will be bumped. I will always try to make sure I'm not interrupting valuable roleplaying, but I will keep the game moving.

Metahumans start with 2 points of karma pool (house rule).

By the way, I'm God, and I don't have to be nice. If you're doing something I don't like, there will be 1 warning. Just one.

Buddha72
(jumps up and down, waving hand frantically)

ME! ME! ME! PICK ME!

I would like to throw in Joli for the game. The elemental manipulations happy hermetic. You know her story and her skill set.
Leowulf
What is SURGE? I don't have the book called Year of the Comet.
Shadow
Sorry to see your last game die Fenris, I hate when it happens to me.

I would like to toss Jester into the ring. He's the rigger in 'Hunting Shadows within'. I think he would be makable under these rules, I'll have to look at what McQ had us do.
Cheesy Answer
Sounds fun. Consider my hat inside the ring as well. I'll be sending you Crackerjack, a human monkey shaman.
BGMFH
Boom, Human Physmage who leads a street gang with a penchant for Explosives is available...

Who wouldn't want to join the Legion of Boom?
Fu-Man Chu
Check out your PM. . .
BishopMcQ
Fenris--I'll throw my hat in the ring if your taking. Rayne would love to come out and play but with the number of awakened this party has, I think I'll throw Eric into the ring. Human, light cyber, skill points up the wazoo.

Shadow--Are you pulling out of my game or just running Jester in 2 games?
Shadow
Just running Jester in two games, assuming he meets the requirements for both. I like him, and it sounds like there will be a chance for a border run. Sure would like to fly the Hind on that smile.gif

If that's not okay McQ I am sure I can dig up another character to submit.

BishopMcQ
Shadow--It's fine with me. I was just curious.
Leowulf
I've got a street samurai, a decker, and some mages I can offer up. Looks like magery is covered if we have two of them. I'm playing a mage in a game right now, and maybe two others. I'll go for the samurai if no one else wants to play one. Decker otherwise.

Can we get an e-mail address to send the characters to?
Glyph
I would be interested in this game. In a departure from my usual awakened semi-face characters, I would play Tombstone, a tough-as-nails ork bodyguard, mundane, who could fill the sammie/tank role.
FXcalibur
Looks like you've already got 6 players. Darn. If there's still space...hmm, could you roll surge for me?
Fenris
FXcalibur - Yes, I can roll surge.

Glyph - It's not a first come first serve situation. I'm taking concepts at this point, and I'll make decisions on the group when I have the concepts together. Feel free to submit something.

Leowulf - Pick one or two concepts and jot them down in this thread. Concepts go here, characters and emails will come later. SURGE is the random genetic changes that occured in some people when Hailey's Comet came back through on it's second visit in the 75 year cycle.

Fu-Man Chu - Check your PM. And repost the concept here, please, so I have central location.

BGMFH - I might be able to think of a few wink.gif

Cheesy Answer - Hold off on the characters. Just post the concept here, and maybe a few lines of background. I will consider Crackjack submitted for consideration.

Shadow - Jester is in for consideration. And just so you know, I'm at 50 karma and 250k, while McQuillan built on 100 karma and 50k.

Buddha72 - Joli is in for consideration.

I think that's all the questions. If you put forth a question I didn't answer, ask again. I'll catch it the second time around.

Character submission is over Tuesday morning. Please re-read the original post, I'm looking for character concepts to be posted here, not sent to me or full characters emailed anywhere.

Cheesy Answer
Aye. For everyone - Crackerjack, as I mentioned before, is a human shaman following the monkey totem. He had to drop out of college due to an accident that took the lives of both of his parents, and started doing shadow work because he was not able to support both himself and his disabled brother financially by any other means. His magical talents made him a valuable asset to those who reign in the underworld, and he's been living on the fast lane ever since.
Tai-Pan
I've been reading this over for a while and I think I will go with a character I have been toying around with for a while, Gabe Maunder a transplanted southern boy/Combat Face.... Combat Face?? Think Combat Decker only No Cyberdeck and more social Skills and Contacts.
Fenris
Tai-Pan - Submission acknowledged.
BGMFH
I'm going to drop out of consideration, things are getting a bit hectic in my area... I'll show back up if they settle soon enough.
Shadow
Jester is an ex-fly boy who lost his leg in a freak shark attack. He's in his fifties and runs his own biz out of the old Tacoma Airport. He has a strange sense of humor but he loves flying and is a very competent Rigger. He has a Helicopter, a Van, and one drone.

FXcalibur
I think I'll use Evans, a street doc / samurai kinda guy. Uses custom gear, very good field medic, wants to become a proper doctor or at least do surgery/ware one day. He also has custom gear - want me to follow CC rules or should I give you what my ideas are and see how it goes from there? Because I'm looking for stuff not covered in the CC. And on second thought, no SURGE for me, thanks.
Leowulf
Ok. I have:

Sam - a troll street samurai who was in the Renraku Arcology when it was shut down and was one of the people who fought against Deus Ex. He has flashbacks and snaps when attacked by drones due to a phobia developed in the arcology.

Blackjack - a human decker with four full cyberarms and very high charisma. She is both a pacifist and a flirt, and she is very skilled at decking.

Donovan the Sage - a human full hermetic mage. I haven't finished this one yet. He's old, like 80 - 90 or so. No combat skills, just magic. All I need is his bio. Skills and gear are already chosen.
Fenris
FXcalibur, Leowulf - Submissions noted.
Dalassa
Getting in here a little late but here are some of my ideas:

Kateri - A human shaman of Otter specializing in illusions. She's playful and hyper like her totem and often seems too cheerful to be running. However Otter doesn't do well with the structured world of a corp mage.

Primrose - Ork techie with a sideline in rigging. She runs to help support her massive clan, after all when you are a family of leftist orks and one human who avoided getting SINs what else can you do?
Fu-Man Chu
Sorry Fenris - I'm going to have to withdraw my character concept. I like it a lot, but I'm not going to be able to have a completed character by tomorrow as work is too busy for another week or so and I've got other games I'm already in (so they have priority). Thanks though!
BishopMcQ
Fenris--you seem to be noting everyone's hats in the ring. Did you miss mine in the other stuff? Here he is again, slightly more filled out.

Eric--Lightly cybered human, tech savvy, plays the part of B/E archtype with a little Face and decking light--presuming I can afford a cyber-deck. Independent player in the Greater Seattle scheme of things, he deals with minor corps where skill and some tech keep him competitive with the low-end physads.
Glyph
An ex-bodyguard, Tombstone is a laconic pro who is easygoing, but when violence is called for, he can unleash it with startling suddenness. His knack for violence, as well as his ability to use it judiciously (as opposed to indescriminately), have made him a popular choice for muscle.

He is a tall ork, wide-shouldered but lean, with a scar running along the side of his face. He got it when a railing gave way and he took a nasty spill, but says he got it in a brutal streetfight that he won. He hasn't had it fixed because it makes him look meaner. Other than that, though, he has no tattoos or piercings - his pride in his cyber permits him no lesser bodily alterations. He is used to suits, but prefers utilitarian, mostly black clothing (grungy goth all the way!).

He follows a "straight-edge" lifestyle: no chipping, drugs, alcohol, eat right, etc., and unfortunately like many of the adherents of that lifestyle he can be somewhat self-righteous about it. He believes that life is inherently unfair, so he can seem fatalistic at times, even though his attitude is actually almost the opposite of that. He thinks that people may not be able to affect a lot of things in their lives, but that only makes it even more pathetic when they don't try to affect the things in their lives that they can control. He distrusts most institutions, prefering his dealings on a more personal level. Corporations, gangs, and so on are just a way for people to cop out of their capacity to make their own decisions as far as he is concerned.

I have a few other characters, but they are all awakened. There is Shanker, a pretty boy ork ex-ganger (and sorcerer - Gator Totem) who likes the ladies and is a freeloading bum. There is also Masquerade, an androgynous elven shaman who specializes in impersonation and infiltration.
Fenris
McQuillan - Yup, just ignoring certain people. Sorry about that, submisison noted.

Glyph - Cleared for Tombstone
Leowulf
QUOTE (Fenris)
I'm only looking for character concepts and backgrounds at this point, and I'll choose who I want in the game based on that.

Do you want me to post the entire background for my characters, Fenris? They are both kind of long...
Glyph
Fenris, do you want us to work on tying our character backgrounds together, like you did for the previous Trails of Reflection?
Fenris
Glyph - Yup, all there in the first post.

Alright guys, this is the team. By Tuesday morning I need complete characters, backgrounds, contacts, gear, spells, everything. Including tie in's with at least one other characters backgrounds, and some general information on the run you guys did as a team. I'd work on backgrounds first, as extra karma may be awarded for effort on backgrounds.

Feel free to post in the Nouveaux Reflections: Background OOC thread.

FXcalibur: Evans - Street doc/Street Sam
Shadow: Jester - Rigger
Buddha72: Johli - Elemental Hermetic
McQuillan: Eric - tech savvy B/E
Dalassa: Kateri - Human otter shaman
Tai-Pan: Gabe Maunder - Combat Face
Leowulf: Blackjack - human decker
Glyph: Tombstone - Orc bodyguard
Leowulf
What? No e-mail address? I'll PM it to you then. biggrin.gif
Bearclaw
Hey Fenris, is there still space for me?
Cheesy Answer
Have a good game, guys. smile.gif
FXcalibur
I need a place to either email you my custom gear or host it on the web, as it has illustrations too.

Also, what's your ruling on cultured bioware at chargen, and how do you handle upgrading of clinics (medical shops)?
Fu-Man Chu
With the extra time for char gen - I've tossed my hat back into the ring - I'll post his background in the relevant thread to see how he could work with the group.
Fu-Man Chu
Re: background page post

Sorry, I should have been clearer, I had originally submitted a character background then withdrew it (the first one, Spectre) because I didn't think I had time to complete the character; with the extra time to finish characters, I PM'ed Fenris and he said to go ahead and jump back in - the reason for my posts.

Thanks for clarifying McQ!
Tai-Pan
Tuesday morning, sorry Fenris it takes me an extra day to recover from the weekends that I work... I work from 7 pm- 4am as opposed to 6 pm - 2am... That and due to some creative switches that was my only weekend this month.

I'll wrap up my Bio/Character Sheet ASAP.
Glyph
I'm running late on mine, too, but I should have it to you by late tonight sometime.
Blitz
Hey Fenris...if you have any dropouts, let me know. Im interested in giving Morphine another go.
Fu-Man Chu
Hey Fenris, I tried emailing you but your account bounced back to me - what account do you use?
Fenris
Ganelganwn@hotmail.com
Fenris
Ganelganwn@hotmail.com
FXcalibur
Alright, sent.
Shadow
Hey Fenris, many, many apologies. As I noted, things didn't work out the way I had planend them.

Jester will be in the mail for you tonight. If however you feel I shouldn't be in the game, I completly understand.

Can I bow and scrape some more? Again, really, really sorry.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012