Full Version: [ShadowsOfEurope] Shockwaves of Europe
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
booklord
Notes on Chapter 3

[ Spoiler ]
MYST1C
QUOTE (shadd4d)
Chapter 3: Die Söhne Lokis (the sons of Loki) by Frank Werschke (who doesn't have a popup at the SARs-Team homepage)

Frank Werschke (aka "Crazy") was the German line developer til 2002 (IIRC).
shadd4d
Aha. Thanks. I was rather unaware of that fact.

I'm going to try and resummarize chapter 3 but yes there are some elements that are a little wacky but can work.

[ Spoiler ]

Yes, a few unbelievable bits, but some work for the GM.

Don
shadd4d
@booklord

[ Spoiler ]

Don

booklord
A possible solution?

[ Spoiler ]
shadd4d
Nope.

[ Spoiler ]

Don
shadd4d
By the way, the shadowtalk on pg 28 in SoE references the expected results of this adventure.

Since I don't have to work today, I thought I might as well put up Chapter 4 (it isn't referenced in SoE). The title is Die Loge, or the box (personally, I think the false friend the Lodge, given the particulars sounds better but that's just me).

This chapter is also by Falk Behr. I have actually no earthly idea who this is. No listing or pop-up at the SAR team at shadowrun.de. Cochise, M¥$T1C, any help?

[ Spoiler ]

Any questions? BTW, sorry for the length of the posts. That's a summary of a 15 page adventure.

Don
MYST1C
QUOTE (shadd4d)
The title is Die Loge, or the box (personally, I think the false friend the Lodge, given the particulars sounds better but that's just me).

Well I don't know the exact translation of "Loge" but I'll give an example of use:
Here in Germany we call the different groups of Freimaurer (Freemasons) "Logen".
Its meaning is like "exclusive (secret) circle" or so.

The best (and most expensive) seats in a cinema or theatre are also called "Loge" in German.

Hope that helps.
shadd4d
When I first saw it, I thought Lodge, like Freemasons. Putting the word into leo.org, though, results in box. This is one reason I tend to consult my dictionary and mentally break down words rather than dropping them into leo.org.

Don
booklord
Comments on Part 4:

[ Spoiler ]
shadd4d
@Booklord

[ Spoiler ]

BTW, how come more people don't comment?

Don
Basileus
Hmm, I'm not commenting because I'm having a hard time coming up with an idea for who is behind all this. After your first few hints, the kaer/arcology angle wasn't that hard to figure out, but who is doing it and why is still beyond me. The arcologies don't have the mystic protections of kaers, and the horrors aren't coming back for millennia, so it seems a bit premature to get started on building kaers. Also, the Nachtmeister/Lofwyr thing is still in the air for me. Undoubtedly I'm missing some relevant piece of Shadowtalk that would give me some ideas to play with and refine, but there's just too many possible players, none of which really seem to fit the bill, for me to have any concrete theories at this point. Believe me, as soon as I have an idea, I'll pitch it out here.
shadd4d
No worries. I'm about to post the summary of chapter 5, which is also the last referenced adventure in SoE. Then it's virgin territory. Chapter 5, however, requires that I read through and post a few things so that you understand where something came from. This is where the magazine references from the German Wunderwelt come into play.

The Lofwyr-Nachtmeister connect is pointed out a little bit in chapter 4 (actually in the back of the book, but that's what one should know as a reader of this thread).

But just throw out your theories. You already know that AGC and Maersk are part. Who's left, do you think?

Don
booklord
Thanks for the clarification......

A few things to note

[ Spoiler ]
booklord
After your first few hints, the kaer/arcology angle wasn't that hard to figure out, but who is doing it and why is still beyond me. The arcologies don't have the mystic protections of kaers, and the horrors aren't coming back for millennia, so it seems a bit premature to get started on building kaers. Also, the Nachtmeister/Lofwyr thing is still in the air for me.

Well horrors aren't the only thing threatening the Earth.

1) Read the pollution section of T:WL and you'd think that all livable areas on Earth will be wiped out before the turn of the century.

2) It's entirely possible that they believe the corporate situation is going to go critical. An all-out corporate war breaks out ( this time involving weapons of mass destruction ) and areas of protection are needed.

3) Heck it could even be something obscure. Perhaps some astronomers believe the sun is going to heat up and melt the polar ice caps! ( or perhaps pollution will provide enough of a temperture rise on its own )

4) Perhaps they believe that the vampire virus is undergoing a dangerous mutation. That a refuge will be needed as the majority of the world's population becomes essence devouring, flesh eating monsters?

But just throw out your theories. You already know that AGC and Maersk are part. Who's left, do you think?

Well based on your earlier clues (2 AAA megacorps) I think a member of the
[ Spoiler ]
might be involved. Possibly Yamatetsu but who inside would be a big mystery. The thing is I'm really not familiar enough with Eurocorps to make a good guess.
shadd4d
Okay,

[ Spoiler ]

Hope this makes it clearer.

Don
shadd4d
Nice guess booklord

[ Spoiler ]

Don
booklord
Continued from before.....

[ Spoiler ]
Nath
The two adventures from Wunderwelten n°49 and 50 are freely available as PDF on FanPro website: Wem der Sandmann einen Alptraum and Spuren im Sand. They're in German of course. But once you have read them, the first one especially, well you'd no longer need to make a lot of guess about Proteus. I didn't put the spoiler tag because it's not a spoil to say there are available. What's in on the other hand...
shadd4d
Thanks for posting that. They play an important role in Chapter 5: Frankfurt Offline, written by Tobias Wolter, aka Concrete in SoE and TW by dumpshock.

Don
shadd4d
Okay, now let's look at Chapter 5, entitled Frankfurt Offline. Author:Tobias Wolter. He's the one who summarized DidSII for SoE. If you notice the handle Concrete in the Germany chapter, it's based off of his handle at Fanpro. To be honest, I like the adventure. I feel it serves a real rising action.

[ Spoiler ]

I like this adventure, mostly because it is quite understandable and really helps the rising action. You'll see why in the next adventure (assuming I'm allowed to summarize it): Das zweite Gesicht, i.e. The second Face.

Don
shadd4d
Please note, these adventures were originally published in Fanpro's Wunderwelt magazine, issues 49 and 50. The author of those 2 adventures is Timo Gleichmann.

The Sandmann data comes from the two adventure linked by Nath: here is the summary

[ Spoiler ]

Contents of the Sandmann data:

[ Spoiler ]

Now that should give all of you something to chew on.

Don

booklord
Chewing away!

Thoughts on Chapter 5

[ Spoiler ]

Thoughts on the Sandman Notes

[ Spoiler ]
MYST1C
QUOTE (booklord)
[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]
shadd4d
M¥$T1C:

[ Spoiler ]

@booklord

[ Spoiler ]

Don

shadd4d
Okay, addressing the Sandmann adventures (I'm not really the guy to ask, but my buddy Andy Steel isn't available for comment. His GM recently ran him and his group through these adventures. All told, my friend told me it took about 3 sessions).

[ Spoiler ]

Don
Nath
[ Spoiler ]
booklord
Who, Where, What, When, How

[ Spoiler ]

Here comes the problem as I see it...

[ Spoiler ]

This could get very ugly real fast. Can't wait to hear what happens next. Thanks guys.
shadd4d
@booklord:

[ Spoiler ]

Regarding the problem:
[ Spoiler ]

Don
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (shadd4d)
[ Spoiler ]

I'd be more concerned that some don't.
shadd4d
Bad choice of words on my part. They use them as code words and they do understand it, it's just that not all of them are bible-toting believers, if you get my drift.

Don
Crimsondude 2.0
Ah. That makes more sense.
Skarn Ka

Translation of "Die Volle Wahrheit" is completed. It needs reviewing and editing, but it's done.
There's a project to release the runs as a series on the website.
shadd4d
Which website, may I ask? Am I right to assume that shadowrunrpg.com will be posting a summary? Hmmm, should this thread review the other 5 adventures then?

Don
Skarn Ka
QUOTE (shadd4d)
Which website, may I ask? Am I right to assume that shadowrunrpg.com will be posting a summary? Hmmm, should this thread review the other 5 adventures then?

Don

Here's what's planned: The translation of SW's final chapter (aka Proteus - The Truth) should be available on the srrpg.com website as soon as Rob is okay. It'll present Proteus' history, a short summary of the campaign events, as well as its status after the campaign.
On the other hand, a redux version of the runs themselves should be released on a more or less regular basis, creating a series of sorts. I don't know whether Rob and Chris (German developer) want to make the conclusion available before all the runs are released or not.
Assuming the cons are a considerable workload, I think the first parts of "The Truth" as well as the first missions may be available in late August, maybe early September.
Regarding reviewing the remaining runs, I have no authority to ask anything and wouldn't do anything like that. On a personal level I naturally think it would be best to preserve the suspense but maybe it's already too late.
Skarn Ka
QUOTE (mfb)
i was about to ask the same question, and also suggest that if someone weren't already working up such a guide, someone ought to start.

As you may have guessed from the previous posts it's in the works (the official way) as a future website feature.
mfb
wow, here's a big question. in the Sandmann conversation shadd4d provided, the participants are all named after apostles of christ. nachtmeister himself is peter--peter was the most ardent member of the apostles, but he wasn't the founder. in this proteus-as-apostles scenario, who the hell is jesus?
shadd4d
3 guesses: 1) Either the original founder who came up with the idea and mentality of Proteushad the name Jesus, but that person is unfortunately dead as of 2057. 2) Proteus itself is the "Jesus Project" (actually an interesting, if artful translation of Project Lichtbringer), 3) reference to the idealistic basis and its developer.

Don
tjn
Do we get a Judas too?
Synner
Actually yes... devil.gif
tjn
Damn I'm good smokin.gif

Okay so it was kinda obvious. silly.gif

Tho Nachtmeister isn't off my list of suspects. wobble.gif
Skarn Ka
QUOTE (Synner)
Actually yes... devil.gif

Doesn't teasing turn into chronical pathology ? nyahnyah.gif
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (shadd4d @ Jul 21 2004, 06:52 PM)
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Jul 21 2004, 11:57 PM)
And remeber they are interested in Space.  Arcologies, space, pollution clean-up technology...  They are building bubble wolrds, Earth Seeds.

That's actually more in line with their goals than you know!

The secret probe that makes it to the Comet? Drilling and mining the surface... Did they put something in the Comet... an arcology? A sleeper arcology?

[edit] Or like a Noah's Ark? Did they just lay the ground work, so 76 years later the Ark will return ready for occupation? Or does it contain twin sets of RNA, the RNA of every species?

I had thought it was the Winternight probe that made it but failed to detonate (which is why it was kept secret), but now...
KosherPickle
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
QUOTE (shadd4d @ Jul 21 2004, 06:52 PM)

That's actually more in line with their goals than you know!

The secret probe that makes it to the Comet? Drilling and mining the surface... Did they put something in the Comet... an arcology? A sleeper arcology?

I think this is the only scenario which makes sense. I seriously doubt they planted an arcology on the Comet, but Proteus AG is the obvious choice for the "mystery probe."

I had thought it was the Winternight probe that made it but failed to detonate (which is why it was kept secret), but now...

No, the Winternight probe doesn't even make it, remember? Proteus AG gets the info about the nuke and aborts the launch. Do they still get Gotterbote up to the Comet in time, however? I think they do.
Skarn Ka
QUOTE (KosherPickle)
I think they do.

It's implied in WotC that the launch fails.
snowRaven
Skarn Ka - you mentioned that translation of the Schockwellen adventures was underway - I've purchased the book, and is presnetly using my very limited german along with dictionaries to translate it so I can 1) understand all the (very interesting) back story, and b) run the adventures.

Is there any possibility of receiving copies of the translations? (I will prove my possession and purchase of the book) It would save me so much time...

In either case, a big thanks to shadd4d for the summaries - they'll help alot! upsidedown.gif
shadd4d
I think they're supposed to end up on the Shadowrun English website. Don't quote me, as I'm working on translating the introduction and the last section of DidSII, namely Lofwyr:1, Nachtmeister:0.

Don
Abstruse
God I hope to get a translation of this somehow. I lost track after the summary of Chapter 2 nyahnyah.gif This sounds really interesting and I've got a few theories, but I'll keep them to myself until the final chapter is on the website so I don't seem like and idiot when I'm wrong nyahnyah.gif I really don't like this, though...I mean I own every English Shadowrun game book, yet I feel like I'm missing out on something big...it's like back in the day when I had Grimore 2nd Ed and several other books that talked about bugs, but not the Universal Brotherhood or Bug City books frown.gif

The Abstruse One
Skarn Ka
QUOTE (Abstruse)
I mean I own every English Shadowrun game book, yet I feel like I'm missing out on something big...

Honestly, even if SW remains local in scope it affects several AA and AAA corps in the background and is the thickest and most well-rounded plot I've ever read for SR.
Patience, patience... wink.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
So, was this a basis for the naval battle foreshadowed in SoE and mentioned in passing in SOTA64, too? And if so, what do they have against Ares?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012