Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: YARR!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
RangerJoe
>>>Ahoy me hearties. We're all set to sail. The OOC thread is operational. Please don't forget to post character descriptions there, or incorporate them into your first post here. With no further ado:

The Azores are a tropical paradise for Portugal’s corporate elite (which is to say Portugal’s elite full-stop these days, since the who nation incorporated) and smuggler’s paradise for those in the know. Being of temperate climate, with beautiful scenery and abundant food, the quiet island of Faial has become a popular spot for shadow crews to go ashore, enjoy some time off the seas, and recuperate before the next voyage. Some of you have been here longer than others, but all are feeling an itching to get out to sea once more. It just so happens that fate has smiled on you. Word has been put out that a smuggler captain, one Captain Slosh by name, is looking for a small crew. Through the grapevine on the island (it’s a small place, and word travels fast for those with their ears to the ground) you’ve heard that he’ll be at the Pit Stop bar just before sunset. Meets here in the Azores sure beat meets in Seattle!

Any plans for before the meet?
Ray Becker
Ralph was one of the only bars upon the island when he heard of Captain Slosh and him seeking a crew. Quickly downing the remainder of his drink he slipped of the high stool and landed lightly but his peg leg still made a clicking noise.

After digging around for awhile he quickly determined that the meet for any one wishing to apply for the postion of crew were to be at the Pit Stop Bar around sunset.

Ralp decided that as he had a couple of hours before the meet time that he had a choice of two things, he could either ask about and learn all he can about this Captain Slosh or he could go to the Pit Stop bar now and drink till the time of the meet.

Coming to a descion Ralph head out of the bar he was in and started walking. He finally stopped out side of a door and then walked inside, looking around he liked what he saw the Pit Stop bar was a great place. Walking up too the bar he pulled himself up into one of the high stools and orderd an ale, he then proceaded to drink while keeping an eye on the door.
FXcalibur
How did I end up in the Azores?

"You forgot already?" Pete slammed the mug of root beer onto the bartop and slid it over. "That beer sure does bleed out your brain." The barkeeper smiled, and his aged face cracked with it.

Downed the mug in one go.

"You haven't managed to convince management to hire you?" He inquires with a comedic, quizzical look on his face. Old Pete's features were hard, yet soft - many scars, wrinkles and cracks, but they would come to life when he talked or moved his face, almost as a cartoon character. If he'd chug a pipe, I'd love to call him popeye.

"No, your boss says he doesn't like me. Says the coat spooks people."
"You should remove some of those medals and badges and shit, then."
"It's sewed into the coat, Pete."
"Well, wear something else then."

I raised an eyebrow. Pete chuckled.

"Of course, of course. I forgot lass, about ye true nature." the adorable sunavabitch winked at me. Before I could laugh, he passed a note forward for an address of a bar somewhere on the Azores.

"Word is that somebody there's hiring a crew for a ship. Could be rumour, could be something else, but hey, couldn't hurt. If I remember right, you're flat stinking broke, my dear girl, so why not?"

"Couldn't hurt." I smiled and pocketed the slip of paper. "Thanks. See you again." I leaned over the bar top and gave Pete a sloppy peck on the cheek. He grinned back. "I'll charge it to credit."

The seas were very welcoming today and the beach was nice. I wanted to go take a swim, but then again, I always want to. Fighting the urge to do so, I slipped into a nearby public toilet, cracked open my travelling case and pulled out my last set of clean clothes, wearing them under my white naval overcoat. I fastened my knife in its' holster, and then went off to this bar Pete had pointed me to.
Ray Becker
Ralph felt time creeping on he downed the last of his ale and beckoned the barkeep over.

"What's your poison?"

"Captain Slosh, is he hear yet? If he isn't point him out when he comes in! Oh and another Ale"

He said gruffly as he passed over a few creds.
Lindt
Rodger reels in. Its a perpetual state being 3 sheets to the wind, a state of mind if you were to ask. At once a very heavy northeastern UCAS accent is apparent in the short over tanned dwarf.
"Baa keep, a wishkey shour."
He slumps to a convenient table, looking for someone meeting the description of a Capt. Slosh. While the Pit Stop isn't a high class place, Rodger dosent fit in well at all. A dark green head of hair that has grown into dreadlocks, and a chromed right forearm do tend to make one stick out in most circumstances.
RangerJoe
Each of you is minding your poison (or salve) or choice, when a fairly tall human, with long hair and a good deal of stubble enters the bar. He is wearing faded gray shorts and an open, and much abused white shirt. This tropical look is not too discordant with his natty dreds and dark sun-scarred skin. He orders a tall glass of the sweet and strong wine of the islands and takes a seat at a table well away from the door. From within a battered rucksack, he pulls out what appears to be a very old and worn magazine which looks like its been through more hurricanes than you have.

You immediately reckon the new arrival to be Captain Slosh because he’s the only human or meta here you haven’t seen before lurking around the Pit Stop before.
RangerJoe
The barkeep is a skinny islander with deep-set eyes and an old-fashioned prosthetic arm. He sends the Pit Stop's one waitress off with the drink for Slosh, before returning with a foaming mug for Ralph. "That man who just come in with the long dreds-- he's the cap' you're lookin' for. He's a good enough feller, so I don't want you givin' him no trouble, ye hear?"
Ray Becker
Ralph looks over at the man the barkeep had just labled as Slosh, smiled hopped off, of his stool retrived his ale and started over towards him. He halted when he heard the barkeep call out to him.

"I said no trouble, ye hear me this time?"

"Aye"

Clumping his way over the floor Ralph closed the distance between himself and Slosh. Arriving at the table Slosh occupied he slammed his mug of ale down and demanded.

"Ye Slosh? I hear ye be seeking a crew!"

As he took the liberty of claiming one of the empty seats for himself. He took a quick gulp of his ale and smiled.
FXcalibur
"Hey there, barkeep. Can you point me to a captain Slosh?"

He nodded to a dredlocked fellow that just came into the bar.

"That's him."

I thanked the barkeep and walked over.

"Hello there. Are you captain Slosh? I heard you're looking for crew."
Lindt
Rodger watches the stranger sit down and quickly gather a crowd. He clambers up and aims for the one in the middle.
"Yaa musht be Slosh, Captain with no crew. Im aiming ta fix dat. Sheems sho are dey too."
RangerJoe
“Ahoy, mateys,” Slosh calls out as you approach his table. He folds the magazine flat on the weathered wood planks. “Could I be so lucky as to assume you’ve heard about my call for crew…or be this about Hormuz?” He raises a single eyebrow.

You can tell that Slosh is sizing up the crew: two dwarves and a lass in a greatcoat. Not the most obviously seaworthy crew he’s ever seen, but not least either (“Never again,” Slosh thought, “will I ever accept minotaurs as crew, even if I am doing the Athens-Istanbul art run. Ever.”)

Seeing no one waving a gun at him, Slosh relaxes a bit. “So ye are here about the crew. Well, then we should be talkin’ cargo, destination, wages, and duties. Time is of the essence, though, as we’ve got,” Slosh consults a chronograph on his wrist, “a little more than six hours before the tide’s right to sail.”

Seen up close, Slosh looks slightly less disheveled than he does from a distance. His eyes are bright, clear, and dark brown. He seems to have a tattoo on the inside of his forearm of an anchor and rope, which is fairly typical (if somewhat tacky) for nautical types. When he speaks you can see that he has several gold teeth—so at least he’s a fairly well to do smuggler. Some of his dreds are strung at the ends with complicated looking glass beads, which are lovely, if a little bit less than macho.

“As ye, know. I’m captain Slosh and my ship’s the Albacore. I’ve only got three spare berths, so I’m keen to know that I’ve no overlap in m’crew. Also, Albacore’s a sailer, so if you’ve pressing engagements anywhere, I’d find a faster ship to sail aboard. That being said, if ye can help with the rigging, then we can make some extra time, if ye follow me.”
FXcalibur
Slosh looked like a nice guy. I had almost expected him to appear all macho with a pipe between his teeth, but then again I only have two images that appear in my mind when someone mentions sailors and captains after all. I took a seat, still not too comfortable with the seats in the bar, which felt far harder than Pete's little refreshment stand.

Ow! Ou- darn it, who left that nail head in the chair like that? Goddamn...ow...

"I'm Carol, nice to meet you Captain, matey. I'm a great swimmer, um... I can do deep diving too, without regular wetsuits and gear too..."

I racked my brains for points to sell myself on.

"Okay, I'm pretty good with a dagger in and out of the water, and I shoot pretty well with a speargun too..."

Should I tell him about my true nature? It wouldn't be nice if he burst out laughing at me, or decided to knock me out and sell me to some whack research facility, but I guess he's got to know. Here goes nothing.

"I'm a shifter too, which is how I can dive far without needing specialized equipment."

I decided to hold out my right hand and pull back the ballistic sleeve of the naval overcoat. Holy mother of the sea, that thing can get so hot and stuffy sometimes. I relaxed my muscles slightly and willed the transformation. My hand started to distort and shape to something like the texture of a flipper. I stopped at that, not wanting to make a show here and rip my favourite coat in the process.

My hand reverted to it's previous distinct humanoid form.

"I'd love to live on a small ship. I could live very well on the sea as well as take a swim whenever I wanted, and I think I could be an asset to the crew, if you'll have me. The last thing I want is to sign up on a restrictive heavy ship."
Ray Becker
Ralph had been looking the others over a fellow dwarf well that gotta be good but that female could be trouble he barley made any effort at all to listen to Slosh as all he wanted was to be on the open sea again.

Then with Carol revealing herself to be a shifter a sea shifter at that, well Clump had met a few Shifters most were arrogant and violent his kind of people.

"I can fight, steer, navigate and I'm a fair medic. Plus I can also do some diving with these things."

He flared his cyber gills as he pointed to them and then took another long draught from his ale.

"Clump be what most call me."

He said as he idly scratched his leg just above his peg leg he smiled briefly as he continued to drink his ale.
Lindt
Rodger eyes the shifter during the little show. He seems most enraptured.
"Be glad to help wish da rigging, I know my way around a shailer."
Rodger flashes a tooth grin. "Rodger Reed, shom call me Iron. I shail, shwim, and shoot pretty good. Can handle demolishishionsh if Ah need to. And unlike dish one, I bring my own diving gear."
Iron sits down, "Sho whash ya offering?"
[ Spoiler ]
RangerJoe
To Carol, Slosh replies, “A shifter, eh? That explains a thing or two.” After a brief, considering pause, he continues, “I consider myself tolerant of all the denizens of the sea king’s realm. If ye truly can mind yourself, and it don’t bother the rest of the crew, I’d welcome ye aboard, rather’n having a problem with your talents.”

Slosh takes a good long look at Clump’s cybergills. “I haven’t seen a set’a those in quite some time! Looks like we got not one, but two, fishes out of water on the crew, mindin’, of course, the fact that you’re both mammals—no offense intended to either.”

Slosh’s eyes light up when Iron mentions demolitions, and a slight smile spreads across his face. “I’m glad you’re all up for a fight. Most times, the Albacore tries to stay out of the way of trouble—under the radar and above the sonar if we can-- but these days there’s so many new pirate bands and posers that you can’t help but bump in t’somebody out on the main.”

“Getting’ to business, we’re haulin’ a load a these towards the Carib—New Orleans in particular.” Slosh pulls a coconut out of the rucksack which has been lying by his side. "Recouping costs for provisioning the Albacore and any damage, I'm lookin' to split profits four ways. Seem fair?"
Ray Becker
Ralph blinked as Roger spoke as he sorted through the thick accent to pick out the words and meaning. He smiled at Slosh's good natured comments and then scowled at what they were to be transporting.

Coconuts? Coconuts! They were to transport coconuts to new Orleans they were being hired to transport fruit. Gee and to think ah used to ambush pleasure yachts and smuggle high quality gear.

"If ah get killed ova a bunch of coconuts arm likely to be a mite miffed"

He said folding his arms as he glared at his now empty mug.

"But a job ah job and a fair split ain't easy to come buy, ye can count me in Slosh"
"
FXcalibur
That was one heck of a load off my chest. For a minute there, I was afraid the captain of the others staring at me would do...well, something nasty. But I guess they're okay after all. It's nice to meet understanding people for a change. Most of them look like they could take a deep dive into the blue, so looks like I won't be alone down there.

My eyes practically lit up when Slosh said I could come on. The other two didn't seem half bad at all, too. This was going to be great! Finally a life on the seas.

But coconuts?

"I never knew the world had a high demand for fruits." I admittedly said half-seriously. "Or are we smugglin' something in them?"
RangerJoe
“Aha!” Slosh laughs, “a clever lass.” He reaches again into his rucksack and pulls out a knife sheathed in an old and well-beaten leather sheath. Setting the sheath on the table, he begins sawing at the coconut’s husky rind. “What we’ve got here is the old double blind. The Albacore’s compartments are filled right now with mineral gravel pulled from the volcanic peaks here. It’s good material for making telemsa, fetishes, magic goo-gaws and such. There’s good money to be had for it in N’Orleans, but not enough to make the voyage profitable. Coconuts themselves ain’t in high demand in the crescent city either, but ye ever see coconut milk like this before?” Finishing sawing, Slosh overturns the coconut, spilling a thin trickle of quicksilver onto the table. The mercury dances and skitters on the well-polished tabletop, forming beads, which, as if by magic, begin to re-coalesce into larger clumps. “Naturally refined radicals of mercury. Can ye believe it? I know a miner and alchemist, lives in a shack up near the volcanic peaks. He can’t believe it himself.” Slosh lowers his voice. “We’ve got 200 coconuts loaded up in the food lockers—don’t worry, the quicksilver goes in through a syringe—it shouldn’t leak out and poison us. There be half a kilo in each. You can do the math to know that even at 50% profits after purchasing and overhead, we’ll still make out like bandits.”

“So,” Slosh leans back, scraping the quicksilver into a small vial he pulls from his shirt pocket, a great big grin on his face, “We sail just after midnight. Have ye any questions? If not, ye should finish up any business in town, and follow the main road out to the east. About three kilometers down the way, you’ll find a small fishing village—a few shacks, really. There’s one dock. The Albacore’ll be there, and I’ll be waiting.”
FXcalibur
Wow. I made it on the crew! I made it! Gee...these guys are great. Real great...sniff...

I spent the rest of the day diving from a secluded grotto in the island, not far from the village where Slosh wanted us to go later. I tried my best to catch some fish for food, but I wasn't up to snuff much anymore. I did pass by a fishing boat, where they made all sorts of commotion about seeing a seal here. Well, I did get some fish from them, so they're all right, I guess.

I dissapeared into the waves and shifted form before coming back up on land, found my clothes and toweled myself off. All in all a great day. Night was falling, but I couldn't wait to get on the boat - the money didn't really interest me, it was the thrill of finally being on the sea, and perhaps fitting in with others.

I tossed on my naval coat and walked back to the village's docks, looking for the cap'n.
Ray Becker
Well it seemed that they should turn a tidy profit from all this. Ralph Smiled as this went through his head as he made his way down towards the docks. Quickly he found where he'd morred his Suzuki Watersport and set out down the coast towards the the village SLosh had spoken about.

He moved up and down the piers at the village until he found the Albacore, he tied his water Scooter up next to it and moved ashore setteling down where he could wacth all arriavals at the boat.
Lindt
"Ya shaid ya needsh shomeone to help wish da shailsh (sails), Ill give ya a hand, shoon ash I finish, 'an get ma' kit."

Rodger gulps down the last of the Wiskey Sour and drops some hard coin on the bar, tipping fairly well, mistaking a ¥10 for a ¥5. He hops a cab to the cheap "We rent by the hour" motel he had a room at, packs his 2 trunks, 2 bags, and 1 backpack, and hops another taxi to the docks.
RangerJoe
You follow Slosh’s directions to a small village on a cape, located on the eastern end of Faial. The village is really nothing more than a few rusted out trailers, a petrol station which has seen better days, and a rickety old pier which juts out into the smooth black water. There is no moon, and you can hear only faint waves lapping on the nearby shore. A single electric light-bulb is held aloft by a metal post at the front of the pier. In the dim glow, you can see a ship moored a short ways out. The Albacore!

As you approach the vessel, you can hear a faint splashing. In the dim light, you can see a figure climbing out of the water using one of the ladders at the back of the pontoon. He is wearing a diving mask, but no snorkel, and is wearing only a wetsuit. “Ahoy mateys!” You recognize the voice. It’s Captain Slosh’s. He must have been under the boat, perhaps making repairs. “Welcome aboard me hearties! We’ll sail with the tide, which should be up high enough to keep us clear of those reefs within an hour. Make yourselves at home. The aft starboard cabin’s mine, but the other three are up for grabs. Bear in mind that the fore cabins have beds that are less than comfortable. Our “cargo” be stored underneath. No jumping on the beds unless ye want a back full of gravel!”
Ray Becker
Ralph made his way abord the boat and started to look around, as he peered into the forward starboard cabin and saw a improvised med bay.

Well, well looks like this place was made for me, bit crammped but it'll do.

"This be ma room!"

Going back to his Suzuki Watersport he retrived what equipment he belived that he needed.

These he quickly lugged down to his claimed berth before he looked at his Suzuki Watersport.

"Anywhere a could store this?"

[ Spoiler ]
Lindt
Iron loads his gear into the port fore bunk room, noticing the rather hard bed. Not that it bothers him too much, sleeping on the deck is a great way to live, providing its not foul weather. Irons prevoius eneberation has subsided, leaving the thick South Boston accent.
"Nice ship ya got here, looks like a real fit lot. Ill be plenty happy to be rigging sails when ya need me to. Do have a question that effects seemingly the lot of us. Last boat I was on had a policy about weponry, chief didnt want the crew arrmed. Was wondering what yaa guidelines on that are?"
[ Spoiler ]
RangerJoe
When Iron looks to ask Slosh about the weapons policy, he finds Slosh sitting cross-legged on the taut elastic sheeting which is strung between the pontoons on the fore-end of the ship, drinking from a thermos of tea. It smells like mint. “A fair question, Iron. Every sentient has the right to bear arms in his own defense. That right ends at the tip of another sentient’s nose, though.” He pauses. “And of course, mutineers rot in the airless hell of David Jones’.” Slosh seems to be some kind of Neoanarchist, which seems fitting for a freelance smuggler. He smiles once more. “So can ye bear arms? Aye. Aboard the Albacore I expect ye to defend yourself, this vessel, her crew, and cargo. Of course, if you think you have a takin’ to strong wine, sunstroke, or sea madness, it’s probably not a bad idea to leave your piece locked below decks.”

“Aegir’s the name of the main gun,” he continues, pointing to a ring-mounted MMG on the starboard side of the mast. “We keep her charged full time, and manned during watches. Ran’s the name of the harpoon thrower ye saw round by the cockpit.” (It is in a pintle mount, also just starboard of the beam, atop the right pontoon) “We keep her charged, too, just in case. If ye don’t feel safe with your weapon, know ye are as safe as those two can make ye. Seem fair?”
Lindt
"Ahh feel plenty safe with my own haadwaare, 'n from the sounds of it, so dos't my merry comrads. Iff'n ya dont mind, Im gonna leave my spear gun at the comm, seein' as everyone can use it, 'n I got enough of my own gear to stow."
Ray Becker
Nodding quietly to himself as he hears Slosh's answer to Iron's question about weapons Clump continued to look around seeking somewhere to moor his Watersport.

His eyes settled on where a dingy was meant to be attached well he couldn't see any dingy so that'll do. Throwing off his Brown Mortimer Greatcoat it fell and revealed a Colt manhunter in it's folds, cunningly sewn into it was a concealed holster. Then slipping the twin pair of spear guns from his shoulders, he finally removed his secure vest revealing what seemed to be formfitting armor.

Grabbing hold of the pulley ropes he dived over the side and attached them to his Suzuki Watersport. Climbing back onto the Albacore he winched his Watersport into position, then he dived back into the briny blue and examined the Albacore's bottom, just to familiarize himself with the boat from all angles.

[ Spoiler ]

FXcalibur
Ah, okay, I guess I'll just take whatever bunk is left. I dropped my bag and pulled out the speargun as well as my sheathed curved bone dagger.

"This is all I got. I don't use them very often, but I'm pretty good with 'em. I usually can stand a good deal of punishment in a fight despite the way I look." I said, wondering if Slosh believed me. You know, there are setbacks for having a small frame.

All I own is in that little suitcase. Besides the dagger, speargun (and ammunition) and naval coat, all I have is some rope and my last change of clothes. Must always remember not to shapeshift when wearing clothes. Always.
RangerJoe
Once everyone is gathered at the prow of the Albacore and mint tea has been shared with anyone who was interested, Slosh rises, and turns to the aft, saying, “If we’re all stowed, then, lets cast off lines and set sail. Fortune awaits.”

As you turn to follow Slosh, you hear the roar of motors and see the glare of bouncing spotlights as two extended cab pick-ups burst around a corner in the village and grind to a halt on the gravel road that edges along the thin beach. The truck doors fly open and half a dozen armed men pour out. The roar of a shotgun splits the night air, firing once, twice, before a booming voice calls out over the water, “Ahoy cap’n Slosh! One sign of you hoistin’ sail, and we’ll blow ye right out of the water. Hands high, and prepare to be boarded!”

“Blast and damn!” Slosh sneers in a hushed whisper. “Lacey’s gang.”
Lindt
"Friends of yours there Slosh?" Iron dives to the deck and makes his way to the Aegir, suddenly glad it was made clear that it was loaded.

[ Spoiler ]
Ray Becker
Clump was still wet from his brief swim and as such hadn't put his greatcoat back on, giving it a quick glance or at least his Manhunter nestled within its folds. His eyes drifted to his pair of spear guns resting by the coat also out of reach and therefore of no use. All he had was the familiar weight of his Vibro Knife resting upon his hip, he smiled briefly this looks like this could be fun.

"So who be this Lacy?"

He muttered at Slosh as he raised his hands calmly to shoulder height and started to slide towards the Aft of the Albacore he lent against the railing and watched from the corner of his eye as Iron made his way towards the Ageir.

"Your move Slosh"

He said as he turned his attention too those approaching the Albacore only 6 men and with them to cross a small expanse of water to reach them, yes indeed this was going to be fun.

[ Spoiler ]

FXcalibur
I did my best to hide behind something, a dark place, hopefully. I frantically began unpacking retrieving my speargun from my luggage. It wasn't much and I hope I wouldn't have to use it, but I guess you never really know.

So there I was, ducking behind part of the architecture of the Albacore, speargun in hand. Hope they didn't see me. If the others started...yeah...yeah, I'd join in.

[ Spoiler ]
RangerJoe
Whispering in a clipped, annoyed voice, Slosh exhorts the crew. “Lacey’s gang be some pirate wannabees. One of ‘em must have overheard us at the Pit Stop. They’re armed but not well.” He thinks for a moment, and then notices Iron making his way to the main gun.

“What is it ye be wanting, Lacey, old boy?!” Slosh shouts towards the shore.

“Heave-to, lads!” Slosh whispers again, resolve now in his voice. “Cast off lines! Man the sail hoist!” He continues sauntering quickly towards the cockpit.

“You so much as set foot on my dock and I’ll kick yer hoop so hard you’ll be tastin’ shoe leather for a week!” he shouts again at Lacey. The jab seems to work, as there is momentary silence from the shore.
Lindt
Hearing the order to shove off, Iron pulls his gun and sets at the rigging work that can be done close to the Aegir.
Under his voice he mumbles "They gonna give us any trouble, or ya what that I should put one across their bow?"
Ray Becker
Upon Slosh's words Clump crouched reached out and pulled his greatcoat towards him. Pulling his gun he called over too Iron.

"Get this thing moving I'll handle them!"

Croching behind cover he shot at the nearest enemy, he started to shft to a different target as soon as the bullet cleared barrel. He smiled in anticipation, as out of the corner of his eye he saw his watersport, if needs be as they move away he could activate one of it's smokescreen generators.

[ Spoiler ]
FXcalibur
The guys look like they've got this handled well. I don't think the speargun would be any good, what with them spraying bullets down the line like that. I put the speargun aside and pulled out my dagger, trying to remain hidden behind cover. If any of them made it to the boat, they'd get a nasty one from me.
RangerJoe
Clump’s pistol barks into the darkness and a split second later the sound of a ricochet and broken glass echoes from the beach. Suddenly it is palpably darker, as one of the pickup’s spotlights must have been taken out.

One of the pickups swerves about, backing a trailer of some kind into the water with a loud splash. The other pickup revs its motor, as doors slam shut again. It’s headlights glare, and you can feel the timbers of the pier rumble. The mad fraggers are coming barreling down the pier!

Abandoning the gun mount, Iron begins hoisting sail, the synth-canvas slinking up the mast effortlessly. As the sails unfurl, clear and diaphanous in the starlight, they seem to hang on the breeze for a moment, until they snap taut, billowing in a sudden breeze. A surprisingly fierce wind whistles around the Albacore and the ship begins rolling forwards.

“Cast off lines, I said!” Slosh shouts from the cockpit. Two mooring cables—one towards the prow and one towards the stern—are quickly running out of slack as the vessel surges away from the pier.
FXcalibur
No time to untie those lines. Damnit, should have gone for them earlier. I shoulda known something like this was going to happen. I sprang out from behind the safety of cover, dagger in between teeth, and dived forward for the lines. I came out of the roll, snapped the bone blade from my mouth, and gave a good swing. I cut my momentum forward, faced the other rope, ran and jumped again, giving it another hard swing.

Here's hoping those lines aren't reinforced or something...

[ Spoiler ]
Lindt
Iron sees the truck comming up the peir. He clambers back over to the gun.
"Oh frag this, they are loony, and now they got something in the water. Premission to open fire."

[ Spoiler ]
Ray Becker
"Damn missed!"

Clump exclaimed as he flips the swicth activating his ultrasound sight on his manhunter and seeks out whatever was in the water.

[ Spoiler ]
RangerJoe
With a mighty leap, Carol bounds to the aft cable, touching blade to rope just as the slack is exhausted. The cable snaps quickly and easily, recoiling back towards the pier. The fore cable catches fast, though, bringing the Albacore lurching to port. Still carrying her momentum, Carol bolts to the fore cable, maneuvering across the deck of the veering ship and cutting the line, freeing the vessel. All can hear the spin of the wheel in the cockpit as Slosh whips the rudder to starboard, pulling the ship away from the dock and the trailing tendrils of rope.

“Blast away, Mr. Iron!” the skipper calls from the wheelhouse. Aegir crackles as Iron squeezes the trigger, bringing the machinegun to life. A hail of bullets rakes across the front of the speeding pickup, which is unable to dodge or maneuver on the narrow dock. The rugged truck stands up well to the fire, although several shells penetrated under the hood, and the windshield is shattered. Still, the vehicle barrels onwards, approximately a third of the way from the start of the dock to the Albacore. With his thermographic vision, Iron sees two heat signatures zipping away from the beach on the opposite side of the dock—likely either jet-skis or small boats.

With his ultrasound sight humming in his hands, Ralph sweeps the shore across the dock from the boat, Two jet-ski-shaped smudges appear from the turbulent background of water and trees. Both crafts show signs of a long protuberance emerging from the prow.
Ray Becker
I only have a few seconds to take these guys out, well I enjoy a challenge.

Clump thought as he aimed and fired at the Jet Ski too the left before shifting firing at the Jet Ski upon the right, after firing he started to edge over towards his own Jet Ski if he couldn’t take them out then a smoke screen should come in handy.

He smiled as the Agier controlled by Iron opened up on the truck.

[ Spoiler ]

FXcalibur
Not going to much more help now, unless they get close to the boat. So I ducked behind cover again, making sure my speargun was nearby. I knew we were practically in the clear, but the adrenaline rush was...well, fun! It was just fun, I don't know how to say it. Just makes you feel alive.

I suppose I'm lucky, though. I probably couldn't kill myself if I wanted to. Right, go get 'em Iron!
Lindt
As the Albacore pulls away from the dock, Iron wheels the gun around to fire on the 2 incomming water craft. Amazingly even over the maginegun fire you can hear Iron singing out a sea shanty (rather off key).

[ Spoiler ]
RangerJoe
Wrapping his hand around Aesir’s grip to fire off another salvo, Iron takes a moment to flick his attention to the SmartLink message bar in the corner of his eye: <<<Error: No Carrier>>> the ghostly letters report, hanging in space before him. Looks like he’ll have to do this the old fashioned way. Tracking the lead jet ski through the adjustable sight, Iron squeezes the trigger and sprays lead from the maw of the machinegun. Firing over the pier, one or two of the rounds ricochet wildly off of an old metal post, disturbing the tattered remains of a weather flag. The rest of the bullets lodge firmly in the jet ski and its rider. A groan of pain is barely heard over the din of combat, as the craft falters and bucks in the surf, only to recover.

Ralph fires off a pair of rounds from his Manhunter, The lead jet ski, already slightly ventilated by Iron’s fire, drops just below a wave at the last moment, fowling the shot from the pistol. Switching quickly to the rear (right) jet ski, Ralph fires again, neatly lodging a round near a handgrip. The little speeder should be a little bit more ungainly in the water from this point forward.

The wind continues to whip around the Albacore as Carol melts back into the shadowy cover. The gossamer sails catch every breath of the stiff breeze, sending the ship zipping away from the pier. The dockside pickup screeches to a halt, a scant few meters from the end of the dock. The doors once again open, and three barrels are hastily brought to bear on the fleeing ship, which has now put about a ship’s length between itself and the end of the pier. The muzzles flash brightly in a cacophonous roar and the shot from the scatterguns clatters across the fiberglass hull of the ship. Surprisingly, discretely placed deck panels do a remarkably good job absorbing the pellets. A few stray beads of shot whistle by overheard, though, doing some damage to the sails.

“Stop shooting at my bloody ship!” [B] Slosh calls out to the night, sending the wheel spinning once more, and rapidly swinging the boat into a defensive maneuver which sends a blast of spray up over the starboard gunwales.

The two jet skis have also cleared the pier to port, and seem to be wheeling about for an attack run, coming in from 10 and 8 o’clock.
Lindt
Iron inturpts his jovial singing. "Why dont ya go down now ya fairy!" Iron fires another busrt much longer this time, trying to drive the all ready heavly damaged craft off. "Carol, ya busy? Wanna grap the gun hung aabave my bunk door?"
[ Spoiler ]
Ray Becker
Clumps smile faded from his face these guys were beginning to tick him off, it looked as thought Iron had the leading Jet Ski in hand so he was going to concentrate upon the trailing on. He ejected the clip currently in his gun and calmly retrieved another clip from his pocket, this one was loaded with ex rounds slotting it into position, he carefully aimed at the rear Jet Ski and fired at its rider.

“Av some o this ye weevil”

He yelled out at his target, then calling back towards Slosh.

“Do we need some low cloud cover?”

His eyes never once left his target as he aimed once again.

[ Spoiler ]

RangerJoe
Aesir rumbles and roars as Iron hangs a curtain of lead in front of the lead jet ski. Zipping at high speeds towards the Albacore, the jet ski traverses the worst of the stream, and several loud impacts can be heard over the din. Smoke belches from the small gasoline motor, as the watercraft lurches forwards. From the thick, oily cloud, there is a bright flash, and the horrific shriek of rocket fire. The small rocket zips out of its launch tube, destabilizing the jet ski so greatly that it skips and tumbles across the surface a few more meters. Its rider cannot be seen. There is a tense moment, when it seems that all the craft on the water are frozen, and the rocket hangs in mid-air, its exhaust trail glowing dimly in the darkness.

A sense of real-time returns. Slosh’s defensive maneuver pays off, as the rocket streaks wildly to port, smashing mindlessly into the low beach near the pier’s head. A cloud of dust and sand is lofted into the air by the explosion. If the gun fire did not already do so, the rocket strike is definitely disturbing the peace.

Ralph takes aim on the rear jet ski, unaddled by the rush and fury of the machinegun fire. He calmly draws a digital bead on the rider, whose form is faintly visible in the glow of the ultrasound scope. Waiting for the bouncing of the waves and the ship to be right, he squeezes the trigger. The powerful round strikes home, sending what remains of the rider careening off the rear of the craft.

From the cockpit, Slosh hollers, “Great shots, lads! No need for the screen. Let’s just get out of here!” For a moment, the winds drop. An unusually large swell catches the Albacore, lofting it to near the crest of the wave. Letting Mr. Newton do the driving, the sea-cat races down the hill of water, speeding away from Faial and Lacey’s pirates, and towards the dark blue deep.
FXcalibur
One day I got to learn to shoot something more than that little speargun. I guess not all my encounters will be underwater now that I'm on a crewed ship. Good shots indeed...just wish i could have helped more.
Lindt
Iron gives a hearty laugh, rudly inturpted as he dives for the deck after seeing the rocket launch. "Gees, these guys are packing some serious heat" he grumbles as he climbs from the lurching ground. Iron notices the second rider is no longer and shouts back to shore "So long suckas!"
Once underway Iron starts to fully explore the workings of the fast little sailer. Noticing the shot holes in the sail he heads underdeck and returns with a roll of 'NanoSail' sail tape and starts at what he can given the conditions.
[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012