Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Meta Magic help
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shalimar
I am playing in a campaign that is just starting up, and I plan on initiating as quickly as I am able for in character reasons. I was hoping that people could suggest an order for meta magic techniques for me to take.

The character is an Elf Sorceress with:
Cha: 4
INT: 5
Will: 7

Sorcery 6
Aura Reading 4

Power Focus 2
Spell Defense Focus 2
sustaining Focus 1(Increased Reflexes)

Which Meta Magics are seen as better then others, or are they all about equal?
Marynsar
I would say first either Shielding or Reflecting, then Masking. Those save your life when you are either trying to be sneaky or being under attack.

Then well, it's really up to you. Invoking is really interresting if you like using your spirits a lot, but it is really taxing.
Ancient History
It highly depends on the individual magician's particular talents and preferences.

Linkey

Some techniques are Karma-intensive: Anchoring, Quickening and Tattoo Magic.

Some techniques require other skills, which again cost Karma: Centering and Divining.

General effective-at-every-level-of-skill techniques include certain the handy technique of Masking and the divinitory techniques of Sensing and Psychomancy. I'd personally suggest one of these or a defensive technique such as SHielding, Reflecting or Absorbing.
Ol' Scratch
Since you're an aspected sorcerer, that narrows your selection a good bit. For a generic sorcerer, I'd probably go Centering, Masking, and Shielding as my first three metamagic techniques, though not necessarily in that order.

Centering is kind of expensive since it requires you to have one Active and one Knowledge Skill to use it to its full effect, but it's worth it for the lowering of target numbers in my opinion.

Masking will help you sneak past wards and even at Grade 1 it'll protect your Sustaining Focus a great deal. By Grade 3 you can completely hide all three of your foci with minimal concentration by using deliberate masking. But sneaking past wards and hiding your true nature from enemy magicians is what this technique is really all about. Definitely a "must have" for a runner.

Shielding is great once you get to at least Grade 2. Not only do you get to use your Shielding dice against *all* hostile spells (they don't burn up like Spell Defense dice do), but your grade acts as a target modifier for all of their spells and spirit powers to boot. Any sorcerer worth his or her salt has got to have Shielding. smile.gif

Beyond that, I'm a fan of Psychometry and, recently, Anchoring. Anchoring sucks for normal things, but I've found that it can be used quite spectacularly to create much more powerful and versatile Sustaining Foci for spells that are success-dependant. You get to use almost *all* of your Spellcasting and Foci dice (at least all of the ones you used during the creation of the focus) on the Spellcasting Test when activating it, and when you activate it you get to use all of them for your Drain Resistance Test to boot. Once cast, you can deactivate and activate it on a whim. No spell trigger needed.

But yeah... Centering, Masking, and Shielding are the top three ones I would look at first if I were you.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Shalimar)

This is a good argument to take masking. Any mage can break a force 1 sustained spell, but with masking, only initiates or free spirits with masking even get to roll to spot it.

Your spell list and skill list would also be helpful in picking out metamagics. You may already have a good artistic skill for centering or divination.
Shalimar
Skills:
Sorcery 6
Aura Reading 4
Pistols (Predator) 2/4
Stealth 4
Athletics 3
Etiquette 4
Instruction (Sorcery) 2/4

Language
Sperethiel 4
English 4

Knowledge
Spell Design 5
Magic 5
elven Society 5
Meta Human Politics 5
Psychology 4

Spells
Stunball 6
Lightning Bolt 6 (Exclusive, fetish for drain)
Levitate 4
Heal 6 (Fetish)
Increase Reflexes +3 1 (Fetish for drain)
Improved Invisibility 6 (Fetish)
Mindprobe 5 (Exclusive)

Cantrips:(my gm allows a character to take a number of freebie spells up to sorcery rank, all are force 2 and exclusive, most of them are character flavor)
Healthy Glow
Detox
Fashion
Make over
Magic Fingers
Sterilize
Apathy
[edit: overlooked the aspected sorcerer comment, oops]

I'd take Shielding and Masking first (either order), then either Centering or Divining, then spend my points trying to raise the linked Centering/Divining skill for a while.
tisoz
Are you taking Aura Reading to use on Assensing tests? If so, I would change it to Centering. When you initiate and take Centering, you will get the same benefit plus all the other benefits of Centering.

Before anyone points out the need for a centering technique, you already have Sperethiel, use it as your centering technique.

If for some odd reason this is not allowed, adjust your knowledge skills to allocate for a centering skill. If it is allowed, consider using 2 points of knowledge skill to boost Sperethiel to 6.
Ol' Scratch
Since you already have Aura Reading, I'd change my earlier advice to Masking, Shielding, and Psychometry (in that order). From that point on, saving up for Centering would be a safe investment whenever you have some spare Karma to save away for it instead of getting more spells or the like.

Centering is nice, but it's not the end-all be-all technique. Masking and Shielding pretty much are. And with your Astral Pool (which is equal to your grade; not Astral Combat Pool) and Aura Reading skill, you can take advantage of Psychometry quite a bit.
Shalimar
QUOTE (tisoz)
Before anyone points out the need for a centering technique, you already have Sperethiel, use it as your centering technique.

Your allowed to use your primary language to center? Not that I posted it was my primary language.

I think I will go with masking then shielding, not sure after that though. The spell Defense Focus should help until I get shielding, and even after it would still probably be useful for somethings.
tisoz
Arcane Language.

It's debatable, but since it can be so hard to learn, it usually qualifies.
Ol' Scratch
The language doesn't have to be obscure or arcane. You could even Latin or even English to center if it fit your magical beliefs.
tisoz
Well, Arcane Languages was listed in MitS under Centering skills page 72.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
QUOTE (Shalimar @ Aug 18 2004, 08:23 PM)

This is a good argument to take masking. Any mage can break a force 1 sustained spell, but with masking, only initiates or free spirits with masking even get to roll to spot it.

Your spell list and skill list would also be helpful in picking out metamagics. You may already have a good artistic skill for centering or divination.

Sorry for being OT here, but I make enemy mages gun for F1 or F2 sustaining focii like this. Helps keep them honest. biggrin.gif
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (tisoz)
Well, Arcane Languages was listed in MitS under Centering skills page 72.

That's hardly a comprehensive list, and the Arcane Language entry (if memory serves) even mentions using combinations of different languages or even coming up with one of your own. Again, it's dependant on your view of magic and whatever helps you focus. You're even free to come up with one of your own, like mfb's famous example of "Looking Cool in Shades" or something to that effect.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012