Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Horrors
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Grifter
i was wondering what sourcebooks if any, mention the horrors and give some more details, i've never read earthdawn only shadowrun and i just ordered most of the soucebooks for it, so i was wondering which ones had info about the horrors?
Cpt_Haddock
No SR sourcebook has information about the Horrors, as they originally belong to Earthdawn, and the SR line developers had enough of the SR-ED crossover thingy. However, they are mentioned in the Dragonheart trilogy and "House of the Sun". If you want to find out more about Horrors in general, there are two Earthdawn sourcebooks about them: "Horrors" (unfortunately out of print) and "Scourge Unending", the follow-up of "Horrors". Also, somewhere in the web there's a site dealing with Horrors in SR, but I don't remember or have the link.
DigitalMage
Harlequin's Back is the big campaign that focuses on the Enemy (aka the Horrors). Other than that there are a few references about that could be inferred to be in regards to the Horrors, e.g. Aztlan Sourcebook and various other placing where the immortal elves or dragons talk about "preparing".

In terms of novels and fiction, Worlds Without Ends is the 3rd part of a Trilogy of which the first 2 parts are ED novels (that are yet to be released).

The bug spirits could also be considered relating as they are obviously the Invae of Earthdawn that were a precursor to the Horrors.
the_dunner
I've never played or read it, but I've always been under the impression that the thing in the bottle in Bottled Demon was a Horror.
Ancient History
Ancient falls out of his chair laughing

No, no...y'see, it's called "Bottled Demon," but there's no bottle as such. It's a rating 12 power focus anyone can use without bonding...and a few mild side effects.
Garland
One of the Paranormal Animals books (Europe)? uses the word "Horror" in the entry on wraiths. Since it's shadowtalk coming from Harlequin, that's pretty direct.

The creature seems to be the Shadowrun incarnation of one of the first Horrors to appear in the Earthdawn timeline.
Necro Tech
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Ancient falls out of his chair laughing

No, no...y'see, it's called "Bottled Demon," but there's no bottle as such. It's a rating 12 power focus anyone can use without bonding...and a few mild side effects.

Mild? wink.gif Riiiiiiiight. Come on Mr. Mage, think about the benefits to the party.
Bigity
When we ran through it the first time, I got lucky and only had my hair turn white smile.gif
dandy
mild? my teammate had us all arrested, just because HE wanted to keep it wink.gif
Cthulhu449
Ancient, are you just being sarcastic, because I've read the adventure quite a bit and dunner's idea is pretty spot on. The bottle acts as a focus, but it's main purpose is keeping something trapped inside, whether it is a "bottle" or not. If you are just kidding around, nevermind; it's just hard to determine exactly what people meant with typing sometimes.

Maybe you are a player and only ever discovered the effects of the "bottle"? This isn't meant to start a big argument or critisize you in any way, just to point out that the DM information gives a lot of validity to dunner's idea, and I was under the impression that many people agreed with the idea that the thing had something to do with the horrors. Heck, as I'm running Bottled Demon before Harlequin's Back for my current group I was going to give the poor mage that had to deal with the focus some sort of insight into the Enemy because he had had contact with such forces before, to an extent.
Ancient History
No, I'm not being sarcastic. The idea of a "bottled demon" comes from the module name and the /very/ misleading text on the back. The focus itself is not a bottle, it is (as I said) a focus; but one which does not draw power from the astral but rather somewhere else, someplace malevolent. Probably the Horrors. More than likely. But the focus is not a container, there's no entity within.
BIG BAD BEESTE
I'll second Ancient there. The statuette acts as a power focus, but in quite an unusual way - ANYONE can use it. Without expending the usual Karma for bonding either. The focus actually channels this power from, as Ancient quoted from the scenario - "somewhere else" rather than the usual astral space interface (IE: The metaplanes or Netherworlds as ED knew them). Effectively what you have is a cursed magical item that enables "something" to "mark" its victims. Look at what happened to the dragon for an implication of this "something's" power.

On a lighter note, you can read all about Horror-marks, as well as several unique entities in the ED sourcebooks "Horrors" - FASA and "Scourge Unending" - Living Room Games. The former was by far the better. The ED novel "The Longing Ring" - Christopher Kubasik/FASA is a good read and I especially liked the insight into the mind of a marked individual.
Rice Bowl
QUOTE (Ancient History)
No, I'm not being sarcastic. The idea of a "bottled demon" comes from the module name and the /very/ misleading text on the back. The focus itself is not a bottle, it is (as I said) a focus; but one which does not draw power from the astral but rather somewhere else, someplace malevolent. Probably the Horrors. More than likely. But the focus is not a container, there's no entity within.

To me the "Bottled Demon", or more exactly the spirit inhabiting the focus, which meets its end at the dragon's claws, is more like the IMPS in Threats 2.

Are the IMPS Horror related?
Herald of Verjigorm
There is nothing in the game text that indicates there actually being an entity bound in the object. The power focus and other listed effects can easily be explained as secondary consequences of the interplanar binding functions of the artifact.

However, if you insist that there is something bound in the item, the functionality would imply a servant of a certain seed.
Kagetenshi
Doesn't a certain crow also hand out items like this?

~J
Herald of Verjigorm
Last I read, those were more along the lines of traditional (physical) arms and armor, but that doesn't mean she couldn't have a talon in it.
Cynic project
Any word on the scary (great)asian dragon from Big A. I mean that thing sounded scary..And it was "Marked".
FrostyNSO
Are their any stats for horrors that have been converted to shadowrun?
hyzmarca
My impression was that the focus was one of Nemesis' artifacts. He was very fond of giving away such items. In any case, it was almost certainly a horror-corrupted artifact that still had a link to its master.
Bigity
Feh, mark smark. Think of the fireballs you can throw with that thing biggrin.gif

Was Earthdawn even published when Bottled Demon came out?
the_dunner
After doublechecking the dates, no, Earthdawn came out 4 years after "Bottled Demon."

The year that Earthdawn came out ('94 according to Amazon), I was at GenCon and picked up the Yearbook edition of the rules. (Long ago eBay'd along with the BABY I picked up at GenCon years later. I still kick myself about that.) That same year, they had a very limited edition pin available, which was a Windling trapped in Amber. IIRC, there was an adventure (or a novel?) that involved said Windling. I *thought* that Adventure was Bottled Demon. But, I never read or played it.

My memory is apparently crap on this. Anyone remember what adventure/book featured the Windling in Amber? I'd like to read it now, since it's bugging me.

Ancient History
Talisman anthology. Probably the best of the ED fiction books.
the_dunner
Thanks!
tisoz
another bump
Zibik
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?act=...&f=7&t=6052&st=

Glad I had this thread bookmarked. biggrin.gif
Mortax
Ohh.....me too.

Mortax likes.....
Chibu
Yeah, I was about to mention the old thread, but, it's there. Instead, i'll mention what I did in it.

From Year of the Comet, (p 58) "And I've never seen spirits like these before. I like to think I'm a fairly stone guy, that not alot of drek bothers me. But some of these things were just creepy. There was a sense of coldness, a chill that just flowed around 'm and seemed to be part of them. Some looked like wormy things and others looked like slimy creatures from the depths of the sea. They didn't have the nasty tase I associate with toxics, but they had some bone numbing "I'm going to chew away your sanity" feel that made most folkd just steer clear. It was a aild scene, attracting my attention better than a car wreck."

There are other statements like this in that book. I've played ED, I know the evil that is the Horrors, and this fits the bill in my opinion.

No, there are not any rules for horrows in the world of Shadowrun. However, there are mentions of them. The evil ones are returning to this world once again.

Know this. There is no single man that can stop them. They are just too powerful, too evil, even the Dragons fear them.

Spread the word. Others MUST know of their arrival. We may be able to stop them this time, if we are prepared. The magical research and the current technology shold be enough. We have an advantage this time. We know they are coming. Let us not simply hide ourselves away as has been done in the past. This time, we MUST take a stand against these evil beings. We cannot allow them to rule over us anymore.

And lastly, do not fear. They feed on fear...

EDIT: Sorry, I got into character while typing that up nyahnyah.gif THat happens to me alot when I start talking about Shadowrun. Ah well, the information is still there.
fistandantilus4.0
No worries Chibu. They Drop bear legions are already preparing for what is to come. sarcastic.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012