Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Standard Pronunciation
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
RedmondLarry
Here are .WAV files with the standard American English pronunciations for Archetype and Shaman
Jason Farlander
So.... why did you post this? Was there a specific reason, or did you just feel like providing some random information?
Just Jonny
Well, my guess would be either pedanticism, or he got sick of hearing about ark-ee-types and shay-mans. I gotta second that, I'm sick of being corrected when I know I'm right. Of course, my rigorous language standards quit applying when it comes to foreign words brought directly to English. My group usually wields meh-lee instead of meh-layweapons.
mfb
may-lay. like a fun activity during spring break.
Krieger
*shudder* I knew a guy who DMed D&D for us that pronounced it "meely". It took all I had not to shove a d20 down his throat.
toturi
Me-Lee! Me-Lee! Me-Lee!!! biggrin.gif nyahnyah.gif
Krieger
Urge to kill... rising... cyber.gif
Abstruse
You know, I hope White Wolf never does one of these...because the only think funnier than watching an argument between Star Trek geeks is watching two goth-wannabes arguing over whether it's Mal-kah-vii-an or Mal-kay-vii-an...

No offense to any Star Trek geeks or goth-wannabes in the audience ^_-

The Abstruse One
Drain Brain
As one who gets similarly uptight about language I can understand this all too well... but having said that, I just can't get out of the habit of "Shay-man," "Arch-type" and "Me-Lee".

But the worst one's got to be "Pro-nounce-ee-ation," closely followed by "Mus-tosh" for the word "moustache" (although that may well be a perculiarly British problem).

Out of interest, what's the consensus on the two Tirs? "Tarn-Gere" and "Nan-Og" possibly?
mfb
"tangerine", "egg-nOg".

i may be hungry, though.
Firewall
Bah... My group, when I joined, were pure AD&D (2nd ed. at that) and it took about a session before I started correcting them.

First, the GM declared meelay combat. Then we caught sight of wivvuns. This was on top of the bastard-estuary accent of the mid-kent region. (DB, you ever heard the Chatham drawl?)

As for Shaman, I say 'shay-mun' because my dad does. Since he is a shamanist, I sort of trusted his pronunciation.

((Also, I say "mus-tarsh" but the rest of te group seem to like "mus-tosh"))
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Abstruse)
You know, I hope White Wolf never does one of these...because the only think funnier than watching an argument between Star Trek geeks is watching two goth-wannabes arguing over whether it's Mal-kah-vii-an or Mal-kay-vii-an...

Haven't you heard? In the new version of the game (Requiem, instead of Masquerade), it's Malk-OH-vii-an.

silly.gif
Drain Brain
QUOTE (Firewall)
First, the GM declared meelay combat. Then we caught sight of wivvuns. This was on top of the bastard-estuary accent of the mid-kent region. (DB, you ever heard the Chatham drawl?)

Ouch.

Needless to say, as a proper Privately educated Englishman from Kent (wot wot!) and a semi-pro actor, my standard is for RP - proper toff speak.

Plus, how could we brits ever say "Shar-man?" Was that the name of the group that did "Ebeneezer Goode?" I don't think so!
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Just Jonny @ Sep 12 2004, 11:03 PM)
Well, my guess would be either pedanticism, or he got sick of hearing about ark-ee-types and shay-mans.

While ark-ee-type is just silly, you've unfortunately not got a leg to stand on for shay-man. Both it and shah-man are correct pronunciations.

For the Tirs, I go with tear tarn-gear and nOg sounding like node (except for the replaced consonant).

~J
Austere Emancipator
How do you actually pronounce Tir Tairngire?
Krieger
I would tend to agree with some of the latter posts there. I always thought it was pretty straightforward, myself. Tir as is "teardrop", Tairn as in "cairn" (the big pile of stones they used instead of digging a grave, or any other definition of the word you can find), and gire as in "pyre", but with a g. The other is simply "tear nuh nogue", with a long o sound as found in the word "rogue".
Firewall
QUOTE (Drain Brain)
Needless to say, as a proper Privately educated Englishman from Kent (wot wot!) and a semi-pro actor, my standard is for RP - proper toff speak.

Another one? I call myself a director (trained as an actor, director and fight-choreographer) more than actor recently but I am sometimes amazed by how many actors roleplay.

RP is not 'toff-speak', as I have to explain to my wife. It is just speaking so that people understand what you are saying...
lokugh
QUOTE (Firewall)
QUOTE (Drain Brain @ Sep 13 2004, 07:16 AM)

Another one? I call myself a director (trained as an actor, director and fight-choreographer) more than actor recently but I am sometimes amazed by how many actors roleplay.

RP is not 'toff-speak', as I have to explain to my wife. It is just speaking so that people understand what you are saying...

What? Y'all don't understand good Texan English? wink.gif
Kagetenshi
As I not infrequently mention, chalk up another one for the actors. It's hardly surprising, though; at least with RPGs we don't have to worry about blocking smile.gif

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012