Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When you lose the contest of will...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cirenya
which kind of damage do you get? The spirits normal physical damage, protected by your impact armor, or do you take Charisma(force)M damage, no armor applies?
Have confused me for a while, since it seems that I can't find answer neither in BBB nor MITS
Apathy
The damage code of the spirit is the same regardless of whether you attack it physically or with the force of your will. Impact armor applies.
Dashifen
do you all apply any elemental effects -- specifically for fire elementals -- when someone gets smacked?
RangerJoe
I'd apply secondary elemental effects for damage codes M and higher.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (RangerJoe)
I'd apply secondary elemental effects for damage codes M and higher.

Doesn't that only apply if they use the Engulf Power? Rather, I don't see where each attack gets an elemental fire effect in addition to a melee attack.
RangerJoe
Okay. I've changed my mind... sort of. When the contest of wills succeeds (i.e., they "hit" the spirit using willpower as the melee skill) the damage inflicted is (cha)M (stun). This means two things: one, damage doesn't stage (else, the text would say something like "does base damage of") and two, elemental effects don't really apply.

From a story-telling point of view, I'd kind of like to see the effects apply (you try poking a fire elemental with a knitting needle), but according to p. 188 of the BBB, they don't.

Also, "armor does not protect against such attacks" (p.188)
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (RangerJoe)
Okay. I've changed my mind... sort of. When the contest of wills succeeds (i.e., they "hit" the spirit using willpower as the melee skill) the damage inflicted is (cha)M (stun). This means two things: one, damage doesn't stage (else, the text would say something like "does base damage of") and two, elemental effects don't really apply.

Doens't stage? Really? Isn't this just an attack using willpower instead of skill X? Doesn't all damage stage by successes?

From a story-telling point of view, I'd kind of like to see the effects apply (you try poking a fire elemental with a knitting needle), but according to p. 188 of the BBB, they don't.

But manifest Elementals aren't flamming balls 'o fire, just like other types aren't "true" elemental representation of their type.

IIRC Elementals have similar characteristics to their elemental type but still maintain a humanoid form (cloths, style, apperance, etc.) much like Domain spirits take on the "form" of their Domain Type.

Also, "armor does not protect against such attacks" (p.188)

Yeah I can't see how physical armor would protect again "a contest of wills".
Necro Tech
Manifest fire elementals are actually flaming pillars of something. The have the power of flame aura which adds +2 to the power of physical attacks and causes IIRC (force) L damage whenever they lose a HTH fight. I don't think this power is one that turns off.
GrinderTheTroll
Hmm, what am I thinking of then? I seem to remember Elementals not being flaming thingies... time to crack open teh book.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012