Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to the forum format
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Bastard
Im new to this idea of running the game...but since all my chummers live a couple cities away and everyone has different schedules, I thought this would beat the face to face meetings. Any suggestions for someone giving their first forum based mission? Or is there a better method for a group that is already together to do an online mission? And dont call me Bastard.
Ecclesiastes
Forum games tend to go very slow. If you have a group that is already getting together, but don't want to deal with the long drive, I'd suggest doing a game over chat. AIM, Yahoo!, or IRC work fine for this purpose.
Large Mike

I agree with Grey 100%. There's even a web irc client here on dumpshock (which has it's own irc server, to boot) so that you don't even have to download anything or be on your home box. Don't our people in charge rock? I believe the props for that one belong to Neuron Basher and Adam.

The link for it is on the main dumpshock page.
Ecclesiastes
I'm looking on the main page and don't see a link... where is it?

(and quit calling me Grey!)
Blitz
I told you...gamers are lazy.

grey = 4 letters, 1 syllable

Ecclesiastes = 12 letters, 5 syllables

Im just gonna start calling you "The Dude"
Ecclesiastes
When most people quote me they usually just use Ecc, which is even easier than Grey. nyahnyah.gif
BishopMcQ
Ecc--I use the shortened form just because I don't want to screw up the spelling or call you Ecclesiasticus by mistake...

Bastard--I know you said not to call you that, but it's the only name I've got for you. The IRC Channel is at irc.dumpshock.com
Bastard
My bad McQ---I guess you can call me bastard then

Thanks for all the info E and Large....what is an IRC though? Does it use a program for the dice rolls or do you just use honor?---A thing a lot of RPers dont know when it comes to dice.
Tanka
QUOTE (Bastard)
My bad McQ---I guess you can call me bastard then

Thanks for all the info E and Large....what is an IRC though? Does it use a program for the dice rolls or do you just use honor?---A thing a lot of RPers dont know when it comes to dice.

IRC doesn't contain an automated dice-roller. Some servers do (one being irc.sorcery.net, not sure about Dumpshock's), and a lot of people script them for various clients.

I can pop one out for mIRC if anybody wants one and uses mIRC. If you're not on mIRC, tough luck. It doesn't work with any other client.
Ecclesiastes
Give me that script please tanka, just post it here.
Bastard
ME TOO! ME TOO! ME TOO!!! --- I mean please
Tanka
Well. Seems my SRDice Script went poof... Time to script up a new one.

Give me some time. It's giving me hell tonight.
Tanka
Not meaning to double post, however...

Tanka forgets mIRC script. Haven't touched it in ages (meaning over a year) and coding isn't being kind to him tonight. He's even defaulting to Java! (Ha! Hahaha! Hahahahahaha!)

Anyway. If you're so untrustworthy, roll 'em yourselves. If you know you can trust the players, let them roll and post.

Maybe the script will turn up sometime. Maybe not.
Tanka
And another post. I knew I made one in the past and put the code up here, so I searched.

CODE
alias roll {
 if (!$1) { echo $color(info) -a * You must enter a number of dice to roll.  All dice will be six-sided. }
 elseif ($1 !isnum) { echo $color(info) -a * You must enter a numerical value. }
 else {
   set %die  $1
   set %roll  1
   set %result  $rand(1,6)
   set %result2 ""
   set %result3 ""
   while (%roll < %die) {
     set %result2 $rand(1,6)
     while (6 // %result2) {
       set %result3 $rand(1,6)
       set %result2 $calc(%result2 + %result3)
     }
     set %result %result $+ , $+ $chr(32) $+ %result2
     inc %roll
   }
   msg $active Rolling $1 six-sided dice.  Results are: { %result }
 }
 unset %die
 unset %roll
 unset %result
 unset %result2
 unset %result3
}

Put that in your mIRC Remotes. (Alt + R, start a new line, copy/paste, hit OK.)

Syntax is /roll <number>, replacing <number> with an actual numeric.

It prints out like this:

* Rolling 2 six-sided dice. Results are: { 1, 4 }
* Rolling 7 six-sided dice. Results are: { 5, 2, 8, 3, 2, 2, 3 }
* Rolling 10 six-sided dice. Results are: { 6, 3, 4, 3, 9, 10, 3, 2, 4, 5 }

Any questions?
Ecclesiastes
Danka!
Bastard
uh...Ill probably crash my computer---but I will give it a go---thanks killer
Panzergeist
If you have never done a forum game before, I recomend playing in one before you try GMing one, to get a feel for it.
Bastard
Thanks---I was actually going to run it with people that I usually play face to face with...and see how that works. Much easier than scheduling a weekend and having to travel...at least I hope. I want to do a combination of forum and irc, as it fits the group.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012