Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wireless data transmission
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GlassJaw
Is there any cyberware that would let you send a wireless transmission of data you have in your headware memory?

If not, is it feasible to create something that would allow it?
Sargasso
Indeed. Check out the Man and Machine book. There's headware cell phone and fax machines and radios.
Espiritu
Completely feasible I'm sure. There would be a ...what is that called...?

Frequency strength to determine how easily jammed the transmission was.... I just can't remember the exact wording. Otherwise it should be rather simple to have a Datajack designed as the input and another to stick onto a System as the Output..hell they could be dual transmitters as well.

EDIT - He's got it better for the answer. ^_-
Sargasso
Actually, since the Man and Machine book has all the information about implanted Cyberdecks, if you had a way to access the Matrix, you could upload data from your headware memory to any place on the Matrix with ease.

Edit - Oh, you'd also need a router, for .1 essence, to let your implanted cyberdeck talk to your headware memory. Unless it's stated in the desc that two peices of ware talk to one another, they don't
Kagetenshi
That's only if the extra three ports on your datajack have already been filled.

~J
Sargasso
If I had a cranium full of fax machines, cell phones, cyberdecks, headware memory and an image link (so I could actually see what's in my headware memory without diving into my cyberdeck) I'd need a router or two.
Crimsondude 2.0
Where do you put the paper for the FAX machine?
Sargasso
In your ear, where else?
KillaJ
Thats not where I was thinking...
Kanada Ten
You can also use Optical Scanning Datajacks for wireless communication.
Crimsondude 2.0
Yeah, but who wants to pull their pants down every time the screamsheets broadcast a special report?
lokugh
Of course, Shadows of Europe brings us the beginnings of the Wireless Matrix, so figure in about six months to a year, we'll see hotspots popping up at all our favorite watering holes smile.gif
GlassJaw
Well what I was thinking was you hack into Corp XYZ's network, grab the floorplans or the security codes or whatever, and then send them to your crew.
GlassJaw
Check out the Man and Machine book. There's headware cell phone and fax machines and radios

Uhh, where? The 3ed book you mean?
Sargasso
As easily said as done. If you want to do it all via cyberware....

Glance at the map and have your opticam take a shot of it. Use your datajack's routing to connect that to your cyberdeck. Use your datajack router to connect that to your internal fax machine, and fax it to your freinds. I hope you have plenty of night and weekend minutes.
lokugh
Yep, that is possible. Heck, from my reading of the "Telephone" listing on page 298 of SR3, that should be all you need for small files.
Sargasso
QUOTE (GlassJaw)
Check out the Man and Machine book. There's headware cell phone and fax machines and radios

Uhh, where? The 3ed book you mean?

Glass Jaw, the book "Man and Machine" is a supplement for the game. It include goodies on drugs, chemistry, cyberware, cyberzombies, bioware, sugeory and stress.
GlassJaw
the book "Man and Machine" is a supplement for the game. It include goodies on drugs, chemistry, cyberware, cyberzombies, bioware, sugeory and stress.

Yeah, I know. That's why I'm asking. I can't find it in the book.
Kanada Ten
GlassJaw
Well what I was thinking was you hack into Corp XYZ's network, grab the floorplans or the security codes or whatever, and then send them to your crew.

Well, if you are already hacked into the Matrix, then simply perform a Copy File operation, then a Make Comcall operation, and send the file down the phoneline.
Kanada Ten
Cyber telephones, radios and other cyber communications are on page 298 of SR3.
lokugh
QUOTE (GlassJaw)
the book "Man and Machine" is a supplement for the game. It include goodies on drugs, chemistry, cyberware, cyberzombies, bioware, sugeory and stress.

Yeah, I know. That's why I'm asking. I can't find it in the book.

What you want is the following:

Telephone: SR3 page 298.
Router: Page 22, M&M

Connect the router to your cyber camera and/or headware memory (depends on what you want to do). Presto. The rules for it are on page 46, M&M
GlassJaw
Telephone: SR3 page 298.
Router: Page 22, M&M

Connect the router to your cyber camera and/or headware memory (depends on what you want to do). Presto. The rules for it are on page 46, M&M

Sweet, thanks. Sorry about that, still trying to get my head around (no pun intended) all the options.

Next question:

The telephone says it has 5 Mp of storage. If you have headware memory, can you send or receive larger files? If someone else also has a headphone and headware memory, can you send files back and forth at will?
Sargasso
Yes, you can send larger files, you just have to connect the telephone to whatever is holding the file via a router. Your headware memory for instance.
Kanada Ten
The telephone says it has 5 Mp of storage. If you have headware memory, can you send or receive larger files? If someone else also has a headphone and headware memory, can you send files back and forth at will?

Yes, however, anyone can intercept the communication so be careful or subtle. Your GM will probably let you get away with it for years and then BAM! You'll have handed Ares all your plans and end up caught in their net...
GlassJaw
Yes, however, anyone can intercept the communication so be careful or subtle

Ok, so is there a secure way to do it?

[Edit]Maybe I should actually read the book...

So you can ECCM and Broadcast Encryption (pg. 289 SR3) to communication cyberware right?
Sargasso
Oh, not that cyberware isn't cool, but you can carry gear to do all of this in your coat pockets. Shadowrun consumer grade electronics are very, very small. Check out the gear of the Investigator template in the SR# book. He's only spent a very small amount of nuyen.gif , but he has the right tool for any espionage job you could wish for.
Kanada Ten
Encryption can help keep communications secure, but the only way to insure it is to use direct communications (laser or microwave transmitters or optical scanning datajacks). This of course has its disadvantages (it requires both parties to have LOS and probably a complex action or two), but combined with a transducer, you can not only send files but communicate virtually telepathically with someone without fear of interception.
Necro Tech
To give you a good example, my team has the Face wired for visual/audio so we can watch off site what goes down. Data goes in cyber ears/eyes, to headware, out through radio. Data comes into me (Decker) and the rest of the team jacks directly into me (via data jack) or my deck (through a FUP) and we all get to listen in. This has been pointed out to me that for non-techonphiles, this is considered creepy. Weirdoes.
Sargasso
There's also a rigger emulation something or other which allows a character's senses, all of them, natural and cybered, to become input in a rigger's drone array. The rigger can't control the character, but the character's sesnory data can be used to guide indierct fire for example. It's in the Man and Machine book, with all the battletac implants.
Necro Tech
Snake eyes. Very cool.
Kanada Ten
To give you a good example, my team has the Face wired for visual/audio so we can watch off site what goes down. Data goes in cyber ears/eyes, to headware, out through radio.

Technecally, you need a recorder/translator to grab the data from even cyberears and eyes: a simrig or opticam, ect. But whatever.
the_dunner
Anybody else remember in SR1 that it was impossible to do wireless data? Somewhere in one of the books, it was stated that it just wasn't possible to get a cell phone to create a stable enough connection for data transmission. rotfl.gif
lokugh
QUOTE (the_dunner)
Anybody else remember in SR1 that it was impossible to do wireless data? Somewhere in one of the books, it was stated that it just wasn't possible to get a cell phone to create a stable enough connection for data transmission. rotfl.gif

Yes, I do remember that. Someone did not have their future glasses on biggrin.gif
GlassJaw
Data goes in cyber ears/eyes, to headware, out through radio

Can you send audio/video data (or any kind for that matter) via a radio?
Kanada Ten
Yes, in fact a remote control deck (RCD) uses radio waves to send all that and ASIST data.
Necro Tech
Just better compresion and transmission than you old TV set could get. Aren't elecromagnetic waves just higher up the scale. I should have been a little more specific, she has a wireless transmitter so we get souped up UHF. The game plays a little fast and loose with the data transmission rules. How else could an implanted transmitter not give you serious cancer. I just want to see a maser interface for your C2 deck.
Kanada Ten
Cancer? Who lives long enough to discover they have cancer and not have enough yen to pay for gene therapy? cyber.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012