Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Talismanic magic?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tal
One of my players started kicking around the idea of a mage who can only cast magic while holding her 'magic' teddy bear, the source of her power. Obviously, this is just a psychological belief, but i was wondering how to GM it, aside from random house-rulings?
toturi
Fetish-limited spells. Geas to the Teddy.
Wutasumi
It'd be an interesting shaman totem. Plushie.
Tal
Now there's a scary thought: Catgirl shaman.
Wutasumi
Eh?
Tal
Combination of SURGE and a cat shaman. Cat ears, prehensile tail, and as little clothing as possible. Enough to drive any SR/anime fanboy crazy.
Cain
One of my players started kicking around the idea of a mage who can only cast magic while holding her 'magic' teddy bear, the source of her power. Obviously, this is just a psychological belief, but i was wondering how to GM it, aside from random house-rulings?

Basically, you're just discussing a run-of-the-mill talisman geas. The rules are in MITS, just handle it like that.
mfb
bleah. i like SR and anime, but catgirl shamen just drive me into a murderous rage.
Tal
Feh. Don't have MiTS.

What about gun-bunnies, mfb? =P
Cain
The shortcut: +2 to all magical TN's when she doesn't have the teddy. It can be replaced if lost, but requires a bonding ritual, just like for fetishes.
Eyeless Blond
You don't have MitS so this might not be appropriate, but several months ago I was thiking about something very similar, but in a more general case. The board's response was fairly lukewarm so I stopped working on it (Edit: although now that I look at it most of that impression was all in my head I think), but you're more than welcome to cherry-pick any ideas you find there.

First thing to do though is get MitS and look up Geasea. That's pretty much exactly what you need, and the book is just a good idea to have in general anyway, as magic is of such importance in SR.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012