Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: Backstabs and Breaches
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Hemlok
13:11 Oktober 13, 2063 Seattle

Life in the shadows has been slow lately, not as many jobs as usual. The telecom's been ringing less than you'd like lately, but it's always been known that shadowrunning was an on-demand business. Maybe it's time to start doing the demand part, though.
Tashio
13:15 October 13, Madam Freiza's All Things Magical

Aswolf sighed to himself as he walked up the stairs from the store, where he had been helping out a bit. Something to pass the time. Things were getting way to quiet for his liking.

Closing the door behind himself, he glanced over to the small workbench in the corner . A small silver band lay on a piece of velvet cloth. Aswolf picked it up, running his fingers over the fine engraving. He still needed to get the gold and platinum to work into the ring, that would take time and resources he did not have, Marcus would have to wait a little longer.

Prehaps it was time to give the winged lady a call. Picking up his phone he punched in the number of Angels voice box.

"Hey Angel it's been a while. I could use a few things. When you got a free spot let me know, I'll spot you a meal over at that new joint you've been wanting to try out. Catch you later."

Aswolf tossed the phone aside next to the bed, dumping himself down ontop of it.
Sabosect
Boom-Boom sat in the bar, watching the entrance quietly. He was running low on the nuyen again and it annoyed him, which was why he was sitting alone today. Few people wanted to deal with an annoyed shaman, especially one known for carrying around a grenade launcher.

The one thing that seemed to surprise Boom-Boom was how average he looked. Average height, average build, and a face slightly above average. Yet, on the streets he was known and generally not messed with. He found most people reacted to how he walked and his inherent attitude.

Boom-Boom was waiting. A phone call, a random contact, anything. He was tempted to call Johnny or Terra directly and specifically ask them for work. But that would show a certain desperateness for work and give Johnny a chance to take a huge cut. Boom-Boom wasn't that desperate yet.

He sighed and continued to look at the front of the bar.
JaronK
Wildcard grinned. The free time of the last few days had been excrutiating, with no opportunities for adventure or excitement. He had been tempted to fall back into old habits. But after some digging around, it seemed he'd found something a little interesting to do. He revved the rocket between his legs as a well dressed orc raised the starter pistol. To his left, a rather small orc on a yellow and black rapier revved his own engine and snarled at him through his helmet. To his right, an elf on a heavily chopped BMW Blitzen was the competition to beat. The low roar of the rest of the 12 illegal bike racers was like a thunderstorm brewing. The pistol fired.

His new Suzuki Aurora nearly shot out from under him as it took off, and the pack flew down the streets under a midnight sky. Many of the bikers peeled out... amateurs! he thought. He darted around quickly built barricades, knee to the pavement as the bikers strained for position. Soon it was only Wildcard and the elf in the running, as many of the contestants had crashed or been too slow to keep up. A rotodrone camera tailed them as best it could for the fans at home, the rigger controlling it straining to keep up with the two bikers. As they shot down the home stretch, the Redmond crowd cheered and yelled in a roar as loud as the engines, as the elf took the lead in the final moments, taking first by a few feet. Nearly 10 seconds later the third place biker shot through the finish line.

"Damn kid" said the elven biker as he took off his helmet. "I thought you said this was your first time racing bikes!"

"Yeah" Wildcard replied, pulling his helmet over his sharp tipped ears. "First time riding a bike, too." He flashed a big grin. "At least, I think it is!"

The other elf looked at him, confused for a moment, before the crowd and the announcer swept him up for the victory celebration. The manager of the race came over and handed him 500Y for second place, and he headed on home.

Well, that beat sitting at home! he thought. But 500 isn't going to pay the bills for long. Maybe it's time to give Net a call, see if he's forgotten me.
Digital Heroin
Lack of runs wasn't a major concern for Spider. He was, if nothing, a patient young man. After all, he'd spent two years in a relative hell planning the series of deceptions which had finally gained his freedom. What was waiting a few months between jobs, when he's still got a bit of money squirreled away?

Besides, the lull in his relatively fresh shadow career had given him the time to re-kindle his on again, off again, relationship with Trixie. She'd been in DeeCee through his last downtime, too busy for anything short of a few exchanged conversations. When she had returned, he'd won her over with an invite to the opening of Seattle's branch of the revolotionary new Link Club, one of a chain of worldwide clubs which were linked together through a bleeding edge Matrix node, complete with wireless headsets which overlay matrix data onto your eye. Net effect? You can converse with people who are at the club in London from Seattle, or hell, people who are just there in virtual. The fact Spider not only got her into the opening night, but got them both VIP status, had won her over for a while. They hadn't had a fight since, and she'd stayed more than a few nights.

The night previous was one such night, and when he rose -earlier than her, as it tended to be- he took a moment to devour her naked flesh with his eyes, and to reflect. As good as this was, he needed a challenge. Club staff are only so much so, and Trixie, well they had enough history that when either of them felt like it, they didn't really have to try. So he rose, and prepared for the day. Might be he'll have to put in a call to Solid Gold. As eccentric as the man was, he was in tune with the market.
Fix-it
Patch sits in his appartment. The Trix' is on, but he's staring at a blank patch of wall, wondering for the upteenth time if leaving it all behind was the right thing to do. Family, or what little there was in a corporate enviroment; a steady job, acess to the latest in technology and medical advancements. The announcer babbled on about this and that, the latest pop culture drek that no one in thier right mind really cared about. Not too much to worry about at this point. The neigborhood was quiet, as the cold season started to set in, most crime went indoors. The goddamn heat was working, and the rent was paid until the end of November.
"All quiet on the western front" he mumbled.
JaronK
Wildcard sat listlessly in his recliner. The walls of his apartment seemed especially small and confining today. Random thoughts and images floated into his concious, floating away again before he could grasp them. He stared out the window in hopes of escape from this prison, but outside was only more apartment buildings and the dull moaning rumble of the city's humanity. He pulled out his pocket secretary... no missed messages. He put it back in his pocket, and stared at the ceiling. It was too close, too low. He activated his wired reflexes and snatched a fly out of the air, then deactivated them and let it go again. breifly, he had an image of being superman, and flying out the window, but quickly remembered he couldn't fly and the 18 story drop would kill him.

Last night's racing had been fun, but there wouldn't be another race for a little while, and he was going out of his mind in the mean time.

Damnit, somebody call!
HeySparky
Archer swirled the drink in front of him and knocked it back in a single swallow. He gestured with the glass, signalling the bartender for another belt. Voice gravelly, he said, "Make it a double."

The bartender nodded and served the drink up. Archer saluted with the glass, "Here's to you, Stan," and swiveled on his stool toward the stage at the far end of the room. Gleaming mirrored eyes cut through the haze of cigarettes and fell on a curvy woman singing and swaying her way back and forth under the lights.

Her voice was melted chocolate, smoky honey. Archer admired the way she moved. The way she sang. The way she wrapped the audience around her finger. The out-of-work detective shook his head.

Stan leaned down to whisper into Archer's ear, "She'll line something up for you, Archer."

Archer swallowed his drink at a toss and pivoted back around to face Stan. He slammed the glass upsidedown on the bar and added with a good-natured growl, "Care to put some money on that?"
Hemlok
Aswolf -
"Hey there big boy, " Angel mocked Aswolf's stature as was her custom upon greeting him. "I'll see you there and I think I might have a job you'll be interested in. An early dinner, say 6:45, sound good to you?"

18:43 Dave's Diner
Angel twirled her gleaming red hair in the retro-shic neon lights. Everything was bathed in a pale purple haze from the tubes lining the ceiling, tables, and everything else that wasn't moving pretty much. The place was meant to be a modernized 1960's diner, with rollerskating waitresses and the whole shebang. The clashing metallic red and chrome made the room an eyesore to the average observer, but the more venerably hip members of the patrons appreciated it as a subtle satire on the era. Some bizarre electronica remake of one of Old Blue Eye's himself's songs was blaring through the speakers. She grabbed a salt-soaked soyfry from a basket the waitress had brought and shoved it in to her mouth. "This new job isn't the greatest payer, but I know he's been hurting for some cash. Might as well have sent it his way." Angel thought to herself, always trying to help out her brethren. "Now if he'll show up on time, we'll be good to go."

Wildcard -

17:25
A jiggle in Wildcard's jacket pocket indicated he had a message waiting him. Network had left him a message containing a brief video clip. It contained Network with his club as a backdrop. The dinner crowd was just starting to filter in. Network's club catered to the rigger crowd, and he worked very hard to maintain it's credibility. "Hey man, I got this nova hot job you'll be dying to get your hands on. I got three others I sent it out to though so I gotta make it first come first serve. Meet me at my club ASAP." You also hear a window breaking and the edges of a brilliant blue flame in the corner of the image.

Patch -

16:04
Patch took a sip of his soycaf, whipped out his PocSec to check his messages, and saw a smiley face burning across the screen. It was Grinner and he had something good. He'll be up in a bit as usual. Patch buzzed him in and went to prop open the door. Grinner came in with his obnoxious swagger and grin, the feeling that as always he was in the superior position for bargaining. "Guess what?"

Archer -

18:39
The phone rung in that passé tone and rhythm that everyone from the 1950's on knew all too well. The bartender spun around, stuck out his burly arm, and lifted it off the hook. "Y'ello?" "It's for you man, Miss Scarlet herself." He tossed the phone to Archer and went back to that classic behaviour of bartenders, cleaning glasses.

Veronica Scarlet answered in that smooth voice of hers, "Up for a little work? I've got something lined up that could use your expertise."
Tashio
15:30, October 13, Downtown

Stopping by the nearest clothing store Aswolf picked up a cheap synthleather jacket.

18:45, October 13, Daves Dinner

Leaving his bike outside Aswolf strolled into the diner, spoting Angel seated at the table near the back he threaded his way between the tables dodging a waitress blading passed.

Flashing her a big smile as he sat himself down on the nearest chair, "Hey beautiful, like the hair. Sorry to have kept you waiting"

Motioning over to the nearest waitress, Aswolf ordered a middle of the range red wine. Looking up at Angel he questioned," This okay? I don't know much about these things."

Awaiting her reply he places the order and lets the waitress go. "So while we're waiting for the drinks to arrive how you been keeping been a while since we last spoke. Whats the news?"
JaronK
I'm psychic! thought Wildcard as he watched the message just after having thought how he wanted someone to call. Wait, I'm not a mage... I don't think... He tried to astrally project, but it didn't work. Damn

Pulling himself out of his internal monologue, Wildcard got down to business. Quickly cycling through his chips, he loaded into memory everything that might be necessary. He pulled on his body armour, and expertly clipped his communications gear into place. He threw his supplies into a small black duffle bag, then assembled his infiltrator and jammed it into his belt behind his back. Looks like we may be going in hot he thought, grabbing his Rifle and throwing it into the bag. With a quick straightening of his coat and a grab for his sun glasses, he was out the door.

Wildcard loaded up etiquette just in case, and waved at security as he headed into the garage. Throwing his duffle across to the passenger side, he got in his Westwind and loaded up Drive Car. He could hear his heartbeat in his ears. This was going to be fun.

He linked his datajack to the car's port and took off for the bar. Pulling out his Pocket Secretary, he gave Network a ring as he approached.
Hemlok
Spider -

14:52
Spider punched in the LTG # for his fixer Solid Gold and waited for the electrons to make their way throught the vast maze to the other end of the Seattle and to the man's telecom. Wa-baba-lu-bop bop-bu-dut rang the Funkmaster's 'com. He wrenched the shag carpet comforter off his body and tamed his 'fro, taking his sweet time to answer. "What's up daddio? Need to score some dough?." Simultaneously scrolling through his index for something that might meet his main man Spider's needs and a job that he needed to get off his back fast while talking to Spider, Solid Gold came on one that seemed to fit perfectly. "I got some extraction work if ya up for it. Corp sec that knows too much, used for blackmail, etc. etc. Hell if I know if that's even close, but enh. Anyways, I'll transmit you the specs if you diggin' it. 'Dis'un'll be above the usual cut though, since the whole market's been hurtin'."

Aswolf -

"Thanks big boy, and you're as punctual as you ever are. Good to know you wouldn't want to keep a girl waiting though." The monitors all around the room flickered on to an already-in-progress original version of Kubrick's classic Dr. Strangelove. She glanced at the screen as Aswolf ordered up some wine. It was to the part where the abort code had been sent, but one plane hadn't received it. "That'll be fine, just fine."

"Life's been pretty good, you know how it is. One second you're top dog, and then everyone moves over to your main competitor. The Winter Nights is fast approaching and it'd be wise to not be caught unawares in these turbulent and turbo times." The plane was flying low above the ground in stunning cinematography, especially for the time period. Angel couldn't help but admire the beauty. She zoned out, glazed stare and all, for a brief moment before returning to the real world. "But I'm sure you already knew that. As to the job, I was talking about, well, it seems pretty straightforward, and it may not be your area of expertise, but I know you'll take about anything you can get lately. It's an infiltration type. Nothing special, but it'll do I imagine. I'll be taking the usual cut, of course."

Boom-Boom -

The door to the bar creaked open, the fingers of light dancing across the dust particles. The musky place swallowed it up as quick as it came out. Through the threshold stepped a man slumped over as per the norm of street dregs. He pulled up the seat next to Boom-Boom. The gruff dwarf patted his shoulder with a leather glove and said, "Ho there chummer." Johnny ordered a shot of rum continued on, "Ya up for a little distraction work ma'boy? I know it's right up your alley and pay's supposed to be pretty good."
Sabosect
Boom-Boom smiled, his entire manner changing from annoyance to being in a good mood. He could see the other patrons stopping their occasional glances his direction. None of them said a word, though.

"Well met, chummer. A distraction? I'm game. Got details?" Boom-Boom asked.

He motioned for the waitress to put it on his tab instead of Johnny's and leaned in to listen intently. A job right now was needed, and he knew Johnny was aware of that. He also knew that Johnny wouldn't give him a job he couldn't handle if the fixer was aware of it. Or, at least, he hoped he knew his friend that well.
Digital Heroin
Spider retained control on his emotions, despite the fact he's wearing a big old smile on the inside. Corporate work, especially extractions, brought with them definite challenges.

`Sounds right up my alley my man.`

But of course Solid Gold would know that, it was his business to know such things.

`Send me the details. As for the cut, I'm down. Gotta look out for your people.`

Be it the market, or Gold just trying to put the pinch on him, it was more about the challenge than the money really. Money made things easier, but he could get by on good looks and a smile.
HeySparky
Archer
The bartender gave me a smug look as he passed the handset over. I could tell by his expression I'd be eating crow in a few minutes. But as long as a job came out of it I didn't mind. Much.

The hub bub of the bar seemed to hush all around me as Veronica's voice came over the handset, murmurs and music growing distant as her voice wove its spell. I replied, "Sure thing, doll. What's the game?"
Tashio
Aswolf nodded, "Such is life, I'm sure things will come back around. Something is better than nothing. I'm sure I can improvise whats needed for the job. I don't forsee any problems. Is there going to be anyone else besides myself?"

Glancing quickly over the menu as the waitress poured the wine, Aswolf made his choice. Ordering the special of the day for himself.

Raising his glass slightly towards Angel, "To better prospects to come."

Drinking from his glass, "Do you have any information regarding who this is for or against?"
Hemlok
Wildcard -

Thumbing through the option menu to get to the call-back feature, Wildcard was trying to check out the sich with Network. He'd caught just a glimpse, but it wasn't good. "Pick up, dammit," he muttered.

Network gave the mental command to respond to the DNI-ed phone as he dove over the counter. Tumbling down to the cabinet holding the freezefoam and heat, he answered,"Kinda busy man, but whadda ya need? If you're coming, it can't be fast enough though." The concerned club owner clobbered the fire consuming his couch and laid down some suppressive fire out the window. The swooshy sound and gunshots could easily be heard over the phone.

Arriving on the scene 15 minutes later, Wildcard sees the aftermath of a streetbrawl between two rival gangs. Network's standing out on the street curb, gun in one hand and bottle of the synthahol in the other. "..Damned sons' of slitches, stupid street dregs..." An almost continuous string of curses towards those that caused this misfortune streamed out of his mouth.

Boom-Boom -

Johnny had the glass in one hand downing it and tapped the bar in indication of wanting another. "Thanks for the drinks man. Don't know a whole lot. I'll tell you what I know and try to fill in the holes with givens when I can. Big drek'll be happening, but who knows what or where. It'll be a max collateral damage possible on a policlub in the Renton district. *SIP* Passing mentin that a bonus'll be given equal to a percent of estimated done, don't know if it was a slip of the tongue or not. I figure they want the biggest they can get. Light up the whole block or some such. Right up your fraggin' alley." He was on his fourth by now.

"Anyways, spot me nuyen.gif 100 up front and the 10% if you take the job just like we always do. Here's the chip with the data on it." He snaps his fingertip compartment open and whips out a little disk. "It's the standard read once and self-destruct so make sure you get the info the first time."

The chip'll display the following when he loads it up.
CODE
Time/Place: Stay overnight at the Renton coffin motel on 17th and Mac±ć§ű, room # 402

Aswolf -

Angel responded with a gracious smile and a sweet voice, "Hollow words such as yours shouldn't warm my heart, but they do and for that I thank you." She sits up a little, continuing with the business aspect, "There'll be a full compliment, but I imagine you'll be the in man."

Running her finger up and down the options even though she knew exactly what she wanted, Angel finally stopped on the Blubbering Beef Burger, a real meat meal with all the fixings and so much grease it'd make your arteries cry. The woman swirled the glass around under her nose like a true connosieur, returned the gesture, and took a swig. "The Johnson's rep has him pinned on one of the mega's from Nippon.* I imagine it'd be against some anti-Nip group, but who's to say? Slot this in your PocSec when you get the chance, it's got the details on what you need to know."

The chip'll display the following when he loads it up.
CODE
Time/Place: Stay overnight at the Renton coffin motel on 17th and MacCarthur, room # 311

Spider -

Solid Gold snickered, "You know I'm just drekkin' with ya. I'd never put the squeeze on you like that. Specs jumping to you right now. Check 'em out and wire me the cash if ya down with it."

CODE
Time/Place: Stay overnight at the Renton coffin motel on 17th and MacCarthur, room # 17
Digital Heroin
Spider allows himself the smile that he's been holding back now, shaking his head a touch. Of all the fixers in all the sprawls, he had to have the joker. Not that he'd trade his professional relationship with Gold for anything.

`I'll be in touch my friend.`

He would arange for the wire as soon as payment had been rendered, as was the practice his last few runs. For now, it would seem, he had a coffin to check in to.

Perhaps it's an omen.

He'd slept in worse places anyway. Hell, he maintains bolt holes in worse places than this should be. After he's concluded the call, he sets about packing for the night. While he packs his overnight bag, Spider puts in a call to Jamal. He's got to arange for a pickup as it is, he might as well see if the cabbie knows anything about the area. It would be nice to know if armor is a must.
Tashio
Aswolf slotted the chip into his PocSec, copying the info into his reminder list. A concerned look crossed his face. "Are they nuts?"

Aswolf looked down at the PocSec and then back up at Angel shaking his head. "I know most Japs have some code of honor but thats not everyone. First thing they teach you on the streets never trust Mr Johnson, and here they expect me to go into a prebooked room with only one way out, and may not even have the key to the lock."

Aswolf took anouther bite of his meal, "I don't know whether to be amused or worried. This guy is either very new or knows exactly what he's doing, I'm inclined to go with the latter."

"What do they want some measure of trust, there never is any trust between a johnson and a runner, money is usualy what keeps people in line, there's no offer here or anything. Or are they just going to try abduct whoever goes and bully them into doing the run for release. Angel has always been reliable, there was just that one run that went sour but that was not her fault, I'd like to think she would not sell me out. Wonder if I've pissed any Jap Corps off lately, not that I can recall." Aswolf thought to himself. Thinks back to Angels turbulent times comment and being aware."

"Thats a large amount of trust being asked for without anything being offered in return. Was there any mention of what might be paid?" Aswolf inquired.
Sabosect
Boom-Boom handed over the money to his fixer, only to be surprised with the chip. It was small, light, and only one-use. And he wasn't sure he quite trusted it.

Boom-Boom chose to slot the chip at home, frowning at the message. Trust was not something you had in the shadows if you planned to live long. And he planned to live a long, long time.

But, Boom-Boom had to go. He just planned to be wearing his guns when he arrived.
JaronK
Rolling down the window via the datajack link to his red sportscar, Wildcard pulled to a stop in front of the club. As soon as the car stopped, a quick mental flip removed his ability to drive it and replaced it with Ettiequette skills.

"So Net, did I miss all the fun?"
Hemlok
Wildcard -

Network took a big gulp from the bottle and turned towards Wildcard. To say he was horrid looking, would be an understatement. His hair was frazzled, smoldering, and generically disarrayed. Looking Wildcard up and down several, he finally answered, "Just bearly, you fragger. Damn streetgangs going at it in front of my front. Wildcard stuttered to point out that Network's hair is still producing smoke, but Net hushed him with a dismissive, "I KNOW, I FRAGGIN' KNOW."

"Anyways, that juke of yours take datasofts? Go ahead and patch this in if it does. Got the details on it. It's some wetwork on a Corp Secretary gal that got in good with the boss and found out too much or something."

CODE
Time/Place: Stay overnight at the Renton coffin motel on 17th and MacCarthur, room 69.

Aswolf -

Angel peered into Aswolf's eyes as he went on and on. It's better to let him vent now with someone to listen and understand than at home and him back out of the run later. "Well, that's all well and good to remember, but you best not be keeping the Johnson waiting. He wants you staying over night tonight and you'll certainly need some time at home to powder that nose of yours. The pay could be anything, right at the bare minimum since she knows the market's slow, or dramatically superior because of the certain intricacies involved, who's to say?"

Archer -

"Name of the game's hide and seek. Corp manager's daughter's gone hiding and you have to seek her out. There's a monitor on the credstick reader, go over to it and watch. I'll wire in the details."

CODE
Time/Place: Stay overnight at the Renton coffin motel on 17th and MacCarthur, room 0.
JaronK
Wildcard took a quick hit off the chip, loading its contents into memory before tossing it back. Wait a second...

"Hey, you know where that thing's been? Has it been scanned? Damnit, if that thing wipes my brain I'll be pissed.

Whatever. Listen, this all sounds pretty risky, I think. You know, helpless in a coffin and all that jazz. I'm assuming the pay's good? You know these guys? Know their MO? Like maybe know enough so I can figure out if I really have to be in that particular coffin, or maybe just know what time things'll start?"
Tashio
"Yea yea I know I'm bitching. Though I must admit its peaked my curiosity as to what sort of person expects someone to walk into what could be a very obvious trap without a carrot, so to speak."

"I'll take it. I'm going to take a look around first though. If somethings wrong I'll let you know."

Aswolf tucked back into his steak, the conversation drifting between random topics of interest.

Placing his knife and fork next to eachother on the table, and draining the last of the wine in his glass. " That was good, not had a meal like that in a while."

"I need a favour, I need to get a small quantity of gold and platinum 10 grams should be enough, pure stuff though, not the junk that these jewelry stores sell. Let me know if you can find anything of the sort. No major rush this could take a couple days to sort out anyway."

Smiling Aswolf looked at Angel, "Dessert?"
HeySparky
Archer
I stand up and sidle over down the bar to the credstick reader. With a glance at the bartender I fumble out a credstick and slide it over to him.

"You win, pal," I say. He grins and slots the credstick for 'tips.' When he hands the stick back I spin the reader toward me, "Okay, Miss Scarlet, lay it on me."

I fish a near-empty pack of smokes out of my pocket and light up a smoke. The bartender eyes the flame coming out of my finger from the corner of his eyes. I flick the fingertip lighter closed with a flick of my wrist and wait for Veronica's data to display.
Hemlok
Aswolf -

Angel thought it over for a little bit. She knew a talismonger technoshaman that would surely have some telesma like this up for sale. The woman considered if she really wanted to deal with him though. He was a chauvenistic, perverted pig, but he knew his craft well. "I know just the guy," she grinned in that mischevious way usable only by females. "Another date in two days, maybe?" More than enough time to get it, but would it be enough to get the courage to confront him? The two hadn't talked in half a year almost to the day. Walpurgis had been good this year, in spite of what happened on the last night, Angel thought.

Angel licked her lips in anticipation. "I have this hankering for some apple pie. Want to split one with me?" Foreseeing the question before Aswolf's mouth even moved, "Yes, I mean an entire pie, not just a piece."

Wildcard -

Network hated this part of the meet with a runner. The questions that he either couldn't or knew he shouldn't answer. The fixer hated the feeling that he couldn't help them out since most of them he considered friends, but he knew his professional integrity came first in this case. "I got jack. The setup used seems slicker 'an shit. Coffin motels are brilliant, really. Never heard of anyone do it before though." It doesn't register until about now, but Network cringes slightly after he realises he used the word setup.

"Fact of the matter is, it could be a big setup,, or just someone really having to cover their tracks. I don't make the call for you if you trust 'em or not, that's your part of the bargain. I do know that the Johnson'll be paying well though." He just remembered this last bit as it was coming out of his mouth. "The guy that passed me this one along doesn't deal with chumps to my knowledge. Whatever you do end up doing, good luck and don't die." Why the gamer's mantra? He couldn't help but notice he said it at the beginning of the proverbial round, just like if he were playing a round of Trogger.
Fix-it
Patch would normally be annoyed with Grinner's flamboyant attitude, but instead invited the elf in for soybeer and biz.
"Now" said Patch, sipping his beer. "You didn't come all this way just to be pleasant and sucker a beer offa me. Job opportunity, correct?"
Digital Heroin
Bidding Trixie goodbye as he slips out of the door, Spider heads on down to the curb, garment bag over his shoulder, duffel in the other hand. He's dressed down, since he's only going to be in transit, but he's got a suit in the bag, for when the actual meet goes down. The duffel's got the essentials otherwise, including his gun. Can't asume all meets are created equal after all, especially ones that would seem to be overnighters.

He heads on down to street level, and the waiting taxi cab. Setting his bags in the back seat, he slides on into the passenger side, closing the door.

`So Jamal, what's the deal with where we're headed?`

He'd filled the cabbie in on their initial call, and asked him for the low down on the area during the ride to the coffin motel.
JaronK
"I don't like this much." Wildcard said to Network, looking at him darkly. "But... everybody's gotta die sometime, eh Red?" He smirked, flipped something in his mind, and sped off down the street. He headed over to the Hotel and parked the car nearby. Leaving most of his gear in the car, he kept only his Infiltrator and a clip of Hi-C rounds. He then headed to the nearest place where he could find a few homeless. Finding a homeless man, about his age, who looked like he could use money for booze, he approached.

"Excuse me, sir. How would you like a free stay in a coffin hotel... and a little extra spending money for tomorrow?"
HeySparky
Archer

I squinted at the screen. "Veronica, doll, if you want a date, all you have to do is ask." I grin and take a long drag.

Veronica's laugh gives me goosebumps, "Archer, you know I wouldn't be so bold. It's not in my nature."

I almost laugh out loud, but manage to disguise it as a cough. "You know, Arch, those things are going to kill you one of these days."

I glare at the cigarette and stub it out. "Not before some dame I could mention." I grin and put the handset between my shoulder and ear, rolling up my sleeve so I can grab the data Veronica sent.

"This address where she's holed up? This a solo gig? Gimme all you got." I press the sides of my middle finger tip and a gold-plated jack pops out, like some kind of old ballpoint pen. With a twist the jack and fingertip come loose, a lead disappearing into my finger. I can feel the bartender looking at me again. Better make this quick. In a blink the data is in my brain. The storage LED on my forearm blinks three times and I nod, rolling my sleeve back down and buttoning my cuffs, the lead retracts and with a twist and a click my hand is whole again.

She laughs again. God, I could listen to this woman laugh for the rest of my life. She purs, "You couldn't handle all I've got, Archer."

I fire back, "Try me."
Tashio
8:30, 13 October 2063, Mikes Diner

Aswolf grinned, "Sure, why not if I'm going to die at least it will be in a blaze of glory and a full stomach."

Aswolf smiled as Angel tucked into the apple pie. "I'm glad she's enjoying herself"", he thought to himself.

Paying the waitress for the meal plus a good tip, Aswolf got to his feet preparing to leave. "Thank you. Its been a most enjoyable evening, even if it was business."

He walked with Angel out to her car. "I'll contact you in a day or two and let you know how the meeting goes."

9:00, 13 October 2063, Frezia's All Things Magical

Aswolf climbed off his bike and headed up stairs, grabbing a new set of clothing, and his weapon, throwing them into a duffle bag. Seating himself in the middle of his bed Aswolf began to chant softly, his conscious slipping into the astral.

Heading downstairs and out the door, he sped along the streets arriving at the mentioned Coffin Hotel. Moving upstairs Aswolf checked over the room assigned to him and the ones adjacent. Once happy he returned back to the store and slipped back into consciousness.
Hemlok
Aswolf -

Angel nodded approvingly to Aswolf as he helped her finish the pie. She had really needed this night to get life going good again. "I had a nice time too. Looking forward to hearing about it soon." She hugged him and drove off.

Aswolf didn't see a whole lot of special stuff searching the coffin motel. There was the unsurprising hint of a background count, but nothing that'd mess up his mojo.

Wildcard -

The bum initially looked stunned, but quickly resigned himself to caution. He hadn't survived a wino by taking up every offer set in front of him. "Chummer, why ya offering me the new digs? Some catch or is this straight up? Either way, I don't want your charity though."

Spider -

Jamal spoke with that uncanny, near incomprehensible Taxilingua. Roughly translated, it'd read something like "The area's your normal corp burb coffin motel. Nothing special, basic amenities, safety etc. Usually for wage slaves coming in for company business but not warranting any special attention."

Patch -

"Nah chummer, I'd never do that to you," He kept that disgusting grin on his face. "The word is that they've got an extract target and they want a medic along. Probably needs some on the spot surgery or something. Right up your alley, neh? Slot this into your PocSec there for the details." Grinner tosses him the disc.

CODE

Time/Place: Stay overnight at the Renton coffin motel on 17th and MacCarthur, room 7.
JaronK
Wildcard grinned. Smarter than he looks, this one is!

"It's not charity. I'm meeting some fellas for the first time, and I don't want them to have the upper hand by knowing me before I know them. I'll be in a room right nearby. They certainly won't hurt you... nothing to be gained in that. They find you, you say "he's nearby, call him at this number," that wakes me up, and you go on your merry way with a little extra cash and a good night's sleep. I get the upper hand in negociating for getting to look at them first, and you get a little spending money and a free night's sleep for your troubles. Sound good?"
Sabosect
Boom-Boom considered, for a moment, whether to take along the grenade launcher or not. He decided against it, setting the grenade launcher and spare clips on the table, before sticking the Ares predator into the concealable holster. Then he walked outside, calmly got into his car, and drove to the coffin hotel. He wasn't going to pass up an opportunity like this.

Once at the coffin hotel, Boom-Boom made it a point to head straight towards the room, having parked his car outside. Being as the car looked like a piece of junk, which it basically was, he figured no one would bother it. Then, he decided to look around inside the room to see if there were any clues as to what the job was.
Fix-it
Nodding, Patch looks back up at Grinner.
"Hear anything about the J?"
I don't want this coffin to be my last.
Tashio
9:30, 13 October 2063, Frezia's All Things Magical

Aswolf picked up his bag from the chair, quickly checking over that all was there, spare change of clothes and his gun. Locking up the his room he headed downstairs, sliding a note to Frezia regarding his wearabouts.

Arriving at a nearby garage, Aswolf secured his bike and headed to the coffin hotel. Heading inside and up to the room where he was designated to stay. Slotting his credstick into the reader he looked around carefully making sure all was quiet.

Opening the door and steping inside closing it behind himself. Stowing his bag in the storeage area, he lay down on the bed, looking up at the ceiling.

Setting his alarm for 5am he dozed off.
Hemlok
Boom-Boom -

The room lived up to its namesake by being only slightly more spacious than a real coffin. Boom-Boom couldn't even sit up straight. There was a trid display screen on one wall and basic amenities against another. It was clean as far as these things went. No obvious blood stains or other discolorations of the Soycarpet.

Patch -

"Word is he's pretty clean and straightforward as far as their kind goes. He shouldn't screw you over too much. This is all heresay and assuming it's the J I think it is though. If it ain't, well that's karma isn't it? Maybe things'll better because of that, maybe worse. Just watch your back and give 'em hell."

Wildcard -

"Ya sure it'll be okay? I don't want no trouble now. I could use the money. And you're positive that you ain't just handing this out to me? I'm really doing some work for ya?" The man had started standing a little less straight. He was slowly resigning himself to doing it as he kept talking. Less and less confidence could be heard in his voice as he went on. "I don't want no charity now, ya hear?"

Spider -

Spider thanked Jamal and gave him a considerable tip. Always a good way to keep your contacts happy. He stepped out of the cab and in to a puddle. Wonderful, Spider thought. Superb way to start a meeting. The man quickly washed these thoughts away and put back into place his cool resolve. When he went to check in, he made sure to compliment the woman behind the desk after asking directions to his room. Smoothly walking down the corridor the adept had been directed to take, he noted the surprisingly noiseless atmosphere. I hope no one's here, otherwise that's some very good soundproofing. When Spider came to his hole in the wall, he layed down and crawled in. After arranging the amenities as he desired, Spider turned on the trid to see what was happening around the world.
JaronK
"No charity at all, just a win-win deal for the pair of us" Wildcard said with a charming smile. "Come on, I'll take ya there and get you the key to the room. You'll get the 30Y in the morning."

Entering the hotel, he purchased to rooms, room 69 and another coffin opposite that one. He scribbled the number for his Personal Secretary, then tossed that and the key to room 69 to the bum. "There ya go, if anyone bugs you, hand them that paper and tell them to call that number. By the way, my name's Jim. What's yours?"

As he asked, Wildcard pulled out his phone and checked the batteries.

Fix-it
Patch exhales, and makes up his mind.
"Aight. I'll go."
Grinner nods, teeth flashing white.
"I knew I could count on you. Need anything? No? I'll see myself out then."
And with that, he walked out.

The last time I ran med for an extraction, it was a bloody fragging mess.
He still remembered the shaman's blood all over his hands, as he struggled under fire behind a dumpster in some goddamn alleyway to keep her alive. Two other team members had died too, to get some damn exec from one cushy life at Mitsuhama to another, several miles away.
Twenty-five thousand nuyen, Ten people dead, and a couple of scars. What bullshit.

And with that, Patch Drains his beer, crumples the can, throws it in the corner, and gets up to check and pack his gear.
Hemlok
Patch -

Revving the engine on his Toyota, Patch bursted down to the coffin motel. On his way he saw the minimal street trash as he was accustomed to due with his higher standard of living, only a hooker here and wino there. Few of the atrocities seen by most members of the shadows visually haunted him on a daily basis, but as with every runner he had his demons to deal with too. This very job proposition was stirring up some bad memories.

Wildcard -

"Mr. Brown," muttered the bum. He was more elated at getting to sleep in an actual room than he was concerned with what the man was saying to him. It seemed safe enough and he'd hate to miss out on a oppurtunity like this. He hoisted himself up into the room with the ever so slightest spring in his step. A muffled cry could be heard after he shut himself in. The clank of a deadbolt soon followed sounding just as the last nail in a coffin would, so final in its ring.

Everyone, except Wildcard -

Settling yourself down in to the spacious sleeping compartment and arranging the lavish accomodations as you see fit, there seems little else to do but use it for its intended purpose, sleep. The room is relatively quiet, a slight whirring sound of the ventilation system as well as bland is its monochromatic grey tones. A brilliant grey adorns the walls while the sheets are a lighter, vibrant grey with stunning and seemingly impossible grey stains. Even the trideo's normally blank blackness was washed grey to conform.

2:03

The trideo flickered on in a painful flash of color waking the few that decided to sleep. The former void was now bathed in various hues reminding anyone that forgot of the existence of color. The screen showed the typical man sitting at a desk with the shadow cast over most of his body like something you'd see straight out of Crime and Conviction. The figure appeared to have his back turned and slight protrusions graced his skull. The Johnson turned around and pulled himself up in to the light. "Good morning gentlemen, I do hope I haven't waken you, particularly Mr. Brown over there. He does so rarely receive such a blessing as today. Don't worry though, your benefactor is well to do and I'll now be leaving you to rest. As for the rest of you, I do believe I have a proposition for you.

"It has come to my attention that all of you are in need of employment and due to your natural talents, I have chosen to seek your services. I suppose now would be the appropriate time to elaborate on that with which I am requesting your help." The Johnson coated every word with a British accent thick as molasses. There was no stutter in his voice or an ounce of hesitation. "I have called you here so that you may aid me in retrieving something that was taken from me. It is a rather special piece of cybernetic enhancements, something I helped design myself in fact. The object in question is currently held by the branch of Aztechnologies studying such matters. As to its current whereabouts beyond that, I haven't a clue. I am willing to pay upwards of 5000 Nuyen per person. By now I'm assuming at least a few of you have a question or two to press on me so go ahead."
JaronK
Wildcard waited in his coffin across from that of the bum. At first he listened intently for any approaching noises, pistol at the ready at his side, but soon grew quite bored and drifted off.
Fix-it
Patch rubs his eyes while his brain catches up with the monologue from his new employer. He had dozed off. Damn.

Clearing his throat, he proffers a question.

"A few, actually; Is this device currently being used by anyone?
If so, how would you like it delivered?"

I'd rather not have to remove it from some poor sap who's just trying to feed himself. Then again, he may not have had a choice. The Azzies aren't known for asking for volunteers.
HeySparky
Oliver's mirrored and heavily-cybered eyes adjust to the flicker and flare of the television screen without a hitch. With a thought the recorder in his head begins to grab the audio coming through the lousy speakers of the coffin's trid. Wait a minute. Veronica said this was a rescue. Oliver squints at the man on the screen in front of him. All of you? This isn't a solo job. I'm gonna have to have a word with V. Oliver swipes at his face with his natural hand, propping himself up his elbows.

Oliver's augmented hearing picks up a voice asking questions. Guess that's one of the others. Good questions. Drek. Aztechnology. If I weren't so broke I wouldn't touch this with somebody else's deck.
Tashio
Aswolf pondered the mans words for a few moments, listening as the other questions were asked. "Getting into Aztech is not going to be easy no matter where it is located and if its "special" as you state, could be even harder. "

"What exactly does this piece of cyberware look like and what is it capable of if we happen to run across someone using it?"

Aswolf made a mental note to contact Rachel later.
Sabosect
Boom Boom frowned. This sounded like something he did not want to tangle with. Which was exactly why he was going to take it. What is the use of life if you can't accept a challenge and make a name for yourself?

"Yes. Any objections to collateral damage?" Boom Boom asked.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012