Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Go Directly To Jail
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
lorthazar
You could just replace their eyes with cyber eyes using elctronic magnification or specifically designed to not allow magic...

Everyone always forget the moment you pay essence, it is considered a natural part of you for the sake of magic. Thus why mages can cast spells with any cyber eyes, becuase after all they all processing the information electronically at some point.
Fortune
Canon specifically makes an exception for Electronic Vision Magnification (as opposed to the Optical varient), in that it cannot be used by spellcasters.
Edward
There is a specific exception to this in the case of digital zoom and ultrasound vision. As is listed under the descriptions of these 2 items. There are no others I am aware of.

For economical reasons I would use a locking helmet that covers the face down to the cheeks with a display in front of each eye and a camera in front of that to provide “normal” vision. Of cause the focus would be a bitch as would recognising inmates except by the label on there forehead.

Edward
lorthazar
Which makes no real sense to tell the truth. I can understand needing the optical if you don't have cybereyes. But for them to make a distinction between a lens that makes a a larger image on the artificial retina, and extra sensitive retina that allows the brain to zoom in on the picture, when all that data was processed electronically, sent optically to the processor in the brain then converted to electrical impluses again is moronic at best. Might as well say you can't use a touch spell with a cyberarm. No one questions that one.

Crusher Bob
That ruling was tacked on to 3rd edition, it was explicitly allowed (iirc) in 2nd.
Fortune
AFAIK, the rules have always been the same in regards to Electronic Vision Mag.
lorthazar
Well that's why I love being a GM I get to throw out the rules that fail to have any sense at all. And if you can justify how a mage can cast spells through cyber eyes but not the built in electronic vision magnification, I might listen. I don't allow casting through ultrasound becuase that is line of sound. lol
Fortune
I never once stated it was reasonable ... only that it was canon. wink.gif
lorthazar
Actually I look at it this way: It was expressly allowed for cyber eyed mages to have electronic magnification and to use it in first and second edition. Many mages might have gone fo this after all the slight magic loss was hardly crippling and the ability toi affect people farther way was a great boon. Now suddenly they are forced into the 3rd edition world and their eyes don't work the way they always have been. yeah right.
Fortune
As I said before, I believe it has always been an exception.

It's a moot point though. If you as a GM don't like the rule, then don't use it.

I personally like the rule, because it forces Mages to either get total Cybereye replacement in order to have Vision Mag, or to run around with big-ass telescoping lenses in their eyes, as the Optical varient is very obvious in normal eyes. biggrin.gif
lorthazar
No, I meant that the mage needs Cyber eyes to use the Electronic Vision magnification. If he just has the addon installed sure he can peep at the the sunbathing Cat shaman, but that is about it. With out the cybernetic eyes themselves there isn't the proper link to establish Spell LOS that way.
Fortune
If you say so. wink.gif

As I said though, I'm fine with the rules the way they are in canon. The explanation being the Optical version does not actually translate anything to electronic medium, being connected directly to the optical nerves (in some unexplained and mystical manner). smile.gif
lorthazar
Well in a the meat eye I can see the need for the optical enhancement, but since a cyber eye already converts the image to electronic media and the mage can still cast spells. No harm no foul.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Edward)
As to the otaku in juvenile hall. They will not be able to bypass security because the lock controls will not be assessable. The cameras will show that somebody is tampering with an access panel and security will show up and drag him of to whatever they do to kids that try to break out.

Heh. No. I call bull on this kind of security in the Pre-Adolescent Commitment Program.

~J
Lantzer
Um, folks? Whatever happened to the old-fashioned way of dealing with cyberpunk criminals? The cortex bomb - cheap to implant, no essence loss, hard to disarm without special tools and training. If they break out, their head blows up. If they cause trouble, their head blows up. If they don't bend over for the corrupt prison officials (Hey, it's cyberpunk, of course they're corrupt), then their head... well you get the idea.

People get pretty intimidated by the idea of their head blowing up.

And in response to earlier complaints that long-term use of mage-masks is inhumane... Probably - but remember that the UCAS, at least, has a strong anti-awakened bias. I could see an exception being granted to keep those scary mages in line. Some warped people would even see it as being a favor to the mage - the alternative would be to kill them. Too good for the buggers, if you ask Joe Mundane...
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (ES_Riddle)
Elemental manipulations still require the mage to see her target...

No, they don't, actually. They follow all the normal rules for ranged combat including dodge and blind fire.

The simsense loop might have that same problem, I'm not sure what happens to a mage who decides that going astral is a good idea when he's jacked in.

They can astrally perceive normally; which is one reason why I support mana warp prisons.

The whole problem still comes down to touch spells, but there are few of those that are actually dangerous and in widespread use (assuming my group is typical). It is a good question about what they would do with the mage in that situation.

I am fairly sure that all LOS spells can be cast using Touch, but even if that is not true, the magician has plenty of time to develope a touch based spell.

...not to mention less likely to risk time in jail considering many of them can earn big bucks without even breaking a sweat.

Martha Stewart, OJ Simpson, the Enron executives, and on and on. If anything, I think magicians are more likely to abuse their power.
nezumi
QUOTE (DocMortand)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Nov 17 2004, 02:48 AM)
The best solution would be to put all the prisoners in tiny stacked cubicles, about 7' x 2' x 1' , smaller for dwarves and larger for trolls. Give them an IV drip and a trode rig connected to a central server. Less spent on food, less spent on space, and the prisoners still get the same experience, no need for more than 2 guards, a nurse, and on call computer technician.  It works for mages, physads, cybered, and mundanes alike.  Only otaku would present any problem.

Of course, you were going to power all of this by using the prisoner's bodies as a battery?

The matrix has you.

I'd vote for this one still. Braindance, baby. You save money on space, food, security, waste disposal, luxuries and general services. The inmates can't get together and cause problems, in fact they can't even see when you cart away their room mate for horrible experiments. You can do whatever you want to them without their realizing it (until they die), mages and trolls are just as easy to deal with as everyone else. Heck, you could probably use their latent brain power for distributed organic computing! Plus, you can properly brainwash the inmate into not misbehaving when he gets out, giving you a favorable conversion rate (which gets more customers).

The only reason I can think of against this is the initial investment of installing a datajack and getting the recordings/computer that 'runs' everyone.
Garland
Trode rig. You don't need a datajack. What you would need, though, is a way to flip all the prisoners over every once in a while to avoid bedsores.
Sabosect
I was just thinking of something: Why not just chop of one of the mage's arms, replace it with one enhanced in such a way to bring their essense below a whole number, remove that, and then replace it with one with below-average strength? You put a little tracking device inside it and you know exactly where the mage is at all times.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Sabosect @ Nov 17 2004, 05:16 PM)
Why not just chop of one of the mage's arms, replace it with one enhanced in such a way to bring their essense below a whole number, remove that, and then replace it with one with below-average strength?

MitS mentions a medial procedure to completely destroy one's ability to use magic without the need for chopping off limbs. I can't see it used as anything but an alternative to murder or in the case of the insane (though even then a mana warp asylum offers an alternative).
Shadow
Well hell, if you are going to just chop em up, screw imprisoning, just shoot them on the head. Bullets are cheap.
Teulisch
severely maiming prisoners is probably a bad idea. also, you will get some mages with a valid SIN who get sent to jail every once in a while. extreme stuff like cutting off arms is best reserved for those without a SIN. your main reason not to is high surgury cost- at that point its cheaper to just kill them.

implanting tracking devices may be a reasonable idea though. the kind that only transmit when they receive an encrypted signal.
Edward
There was mention in one of the books of a combined drug and surgical routine that would strip all magical ability from a patient. It was being used as a punishment for magical criminals. It did have unhappy side effects (mental flaws).

If you built a cyber prison you would need nurses (or nurse bots) to turn the patients and electrodes on there major muscle groups to prevent excessive muscle atrophy.

Edward
Fresno Bob
Just have the cubicle cells be padded on both sides, and automatically flip over every so often.
Da9iel
Mmmm. Rotisserie style prisoners.
Fresno Bob
Exaaaaaactly.
ES_Riddle
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
QUOTE (ES_Riddle @ Nov 17 2004, 04:24 AM)
Elemental manipulations still require the mage to see her target...

No, they don't, actually. They follow all the normal rules for ranged combat including dodge and blind fire.

Gak. I'm on a roll of sucking today. I was basing my statement off of pg. 196, "They have a base Target Number of 4, regardless of range, as long as the caster can see the target." I should have read deeper before I posted, though, because of pg. 182, "Targets with complete visual cover can still be affected."

My foot and my mouth are getting too well acquainted.
nezumi
QUOTE (Garland)
What you would need, though, is a way to flip all the prisoners over every once in a while to avoid bedsores.

Remind me again why I, as the CEO of Prisons Inc., particularly care? Who's gonna complain, the guards? We'll just pump 'em full of cheap antibiotics or something, or maybe suspend them in water, if we're really being nice.
Crusher Bob
Heh, hack the prison system and add the 'slave to mr decker' pyscotropic ice.

Considering the amount of people who've been in prison, this gives mister decker a pretty big zombi army...
Nikoli
nah, forced implantation of chipjack, epoxy in a p-fix chip.

Instant "willing" cheap labor force.

[Insert warden speech from Shawshank Redemption here]
Garland
QUOTE (nezumi)
Remind me again why I, as the CEO of Prisons Inc., particularly care?  Who's gonna complain, the guards?  We'll just pump 'em full of cheap antibiotics or something, or maybe suspend them in water, if we're really being nice.

Well, the guards complaining about the smell is one thing. And if you're running a prison, the idea is to keep them alive (and keep the money for warm bodies coming in), not have them die from infections. Otherwise you may as well just be digging a mass grave, and that's cheaper than Matrix incarceration anyway.

That said, you suggested two very viable solutions. nyahnyah.gif
Edward
You do get several problems with the matrix system I had not previously considered.

How will they eat?

How will they excrete?

Edward
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Edward)
How will they eat?

There was already mention of an intravenous (I think in this thread) nutrient delivery.
How will they excrete?

Plastic tubes, but the need will be greatly reduced if the digestive system isn't being used.
Enigma
One of the cool suggestions from one of the books was an Aztechnology idea - stick the prisoners in a secure place with a whole lot of cameras, then make them fight for food, or a secure place to sleep or something. Broadcast the footage on pay-per-view.

I've always thought this would be a cool idea - collect really nasty prisoners (maybe using that Matrix BTL-loop idea) until you have enough to be interesting, disable (or implant) cyberware as needed to make it moderately even or at least interesting, then dump them in there. Maybe hand out prizes for the most unusual kill or something.

This is a little similar to that Christopher Lambert movie, but it's still pretty cool.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Edward)
You do get several problems with the matrix system I had not previously considered.

How will they eat?

How will they excrete?

Edward

The same way that people in comas do. Catheters for waste removal. Tube stuck down their noses to feed them gruel with IV nutritional supliments.

Biomoniters check for sores and signs of infection and there is at least one on duty nurse at all times in case something goes wrong and there is medical staff on call. And they should have the common sense to use an active UPS and backup generators just in case the power goes out.

As an added bonus, the prisoners can be given educations using learnsofts and brainwashed to crochet whenever they have urges to commit acts of violence.
Solstice
QUOTE (Edward @ Nov 17 2004, 12:43 AM)

The slums are not a nice place to live for most people. Although there are stubborn, ideological or stupid individuals most of the lower levels of society would happily trade in there life of committing petty crime to put low grade food like substance on the table and keep a leaky roof over there heads (squatter lifestyle) for a regular wage and stuff that resembles real food (low lifestyle with the prospect of improvement).

Edward

If you knew many criminals in real life you would realize that this is total bs. People commit crimes for more reasons then there are categories of offenses, regardless of social status.
kevyn668
QUOTE (Enigma)
One of the cool suggestions from one of the books was an Aztechnology idea - stick the prisoners in a secure place with a whole lot of cameras, then make them fight for food, or a secure place to sleep or something.  Broadcast the footage on pay-per-view. 

Like that lame video game, Manhunt?
Starfurie
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
As an added bonus, the prisoners can be given educations using learnsofts and brainwashed to crochet whenever they have urges to commit acts of violence.

Just for that, I'm going to have to blow up a Taco Bell.
Starfurie
I just had an evil, twisted thought. All the kitchen waste goes to a common dump pile. Devil rats feed on the common dump plie. Strain 3 FAB feed on the devil rats. Would you want to go astral in that prison?
Jarvis
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but if the put a mage in prison for a long time, they'll prolly burn him out first. Not like anything's stopping them; and it makes costs lower for the prison corp.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Jarvis @ Nov 21 2004, 10:36 AM)
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but if the put a mage in prison for a long time, they'll prolly burn him out first. Not like anything's stopping them; and it makes costs lower for the prison corp.

Sorry, they won't "burn out" a magician for less than violent crimes and insanity for the same reason they don't just cut off every thieves hands.

You embezzled 20 million nuyen, Mr. Kenza, so you're going to jail for 20 years. You helped him by covering up the evidence, Dr. Jabgo, so we'll put you in jail for 10 years and burn out your natural talent rendering your entire 16 year education moot.

Not only must the punishment, which is decided by the courts not corps, fit the crime, but it must be an equal punishment to others that commit the crime.
Paul
Does anyone here beside me actually work in a prison?
Kagetenshi
IIRC BitBasher does.

~J
Crimsondude 2.0
I have an acquaintance who did, and it's why I'd rather not RP it.
Paul
rotfl.gif

Heh-I can see that. I prefer the hopelessness and grit in my own game, so we do use some things...
Crimsondude 2.0
Hmm. Well, 90% of what he told me I already knew from other people who had worked there or spent time as guests of the state. And given the circumstances, it's not a closed book. I've just never made a character who spent time in locked up, and the RP opportunity has never come up.

But I did think it was interesting that he's the umpteenth person tell me that 1) Federal prison beats the hell out of state prison, and 2) women's prisons are worse than men's, and he wouldn't work there for any amount of money.
Fortune
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Nov 28 2004, 12:00 PM)
Federal prison beats the hell out of state prison

Let me also add my confirmation of that fact.
Voran
I guess in this sorta scenario, I find it entirely more likely that awakened types, or even cybered up monsters with combat skills, etc, would be seen as a pool of potential recruits for any powerful corp/government/etc group who's looking for expendable or potential long term assets.
Paul
Let me be the first to disagree, but only sort of. Some Federal Joints are far worse than a lot of State Joints. However, some State Joints would scare me much worse than going to damn near any Fed Joint you could name-ever watch anything on some of these places? Hell the LA County Jail ranks in my top ten places I never want to be.

Of course at that end of the scale its like comparing which is worse -sh!t or sh@t. They both stink, they both get you dirty, and you'd rather not have to wipe either off your boots.
Crimsondude 2.0
Indeed.

ADX Florence would suck, but in a whole other way than--for example--some of the things I've heard about Corcoran State Prison, or even the local ones here as far as day-to-day chaos.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012