Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tips for all shadowruners.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Cynic project
I have a few tips that I do not think that most shadowrunners use.

One, burners. A burner is a prepaid cell phone that you can throw away when you either burn threw the time or think that number is hot. By doing this, you will give big brother more trouble giving you a wire tap,and still have the ability to talk across town.

Two, changing barrels and firing pins.You should change the barrel and firing pins of your gun after every run you use it.This will help you get out of big brother's radar.

Three.Use common weapons.If you use this tip with tip two, you change your "basitic" finger prints into smears. As you are using common weapons that look to be completely different guns.

A runner who use say a costume built hand canon that will kill a "tank" and don't change the firing pin and barrelling.Will both leave marks that will say that one person did,because of the rarity of the weapon and the rifling patterns/firing pin mark.
Nikoli
The problem with that tactic is that all barrels are registered before sale by 2064 since most are moving to that now. Buddy of mine bought a spare barrel and faced that. It's not common practice now, but in 60 years it very well may be. The trick then is to make friends with a mage that has modded the fashion spell to alter your rifling. Or use shotguns.
Cynic project
But in shadowrun you have underworld markets that can sell you illegal weapons. You also have data bases that do not share that of information. Would Ares tell Cross who it sell it's barrels too?
BitBasher
It doesn't work that way. If the UCAS says "you must provide sales records for barrels" then the companies will, or else the barrels are not legal and it's illegal to carry them around on UCAS soil. Also, if you have an unregistered barrel you go to jail anyway. Nothing gets accomplished.
Cynic project
Did I miss the part where if I am Ares, I am an legally speaking a country. I make my own laws,I keep track of my own records.... And then you could buy guns off the street,cause no shadowruner breaks the law....

If I get busted for illegal barrels,I am sure the punishment is not the same as if I get busted for killing 10 people. Also it is about making sure that people do not contec your runs to each other, more than it is about fallowing the law,as the last time I looked the only reason you would need to hide like this is because you were breaking the law in the first place.
Fix-it
Don't leave your brass behind.
use caseless ammo, or a collector.

many common SMGs (like those made by H&K, for example)
can be fitted with a brass collector (Basically a bag over the ejector port.)
The downside is it takes another action to fit a new bag whenever you change clips, but it's worth it.

and if you're using Armor-piercing discarding sabot ammo, there's no rifling marks on the projectile...

Better yet. Just don't shoot anyone. spin.gif
Mercer
QUOTE (BitBasher)
It doesn't work that way. If the UCAS says "you must provide sales records for barrels" then the companies will, or else the barrels are not legal and it's illegal to carry them around on UCAS soil. Also, if you have an unregistered barrel you go to jail anyway. Nothing gets accomplished.

How many shadowrunners are using weapons registered in their own name anyway? If you're buying your guns illegally, it seems like a small jump to buy the barrels illegally.

The idea is when the cops check a crime scene that they say, "these are rounds fired from a unregistered or stolen barrel," and not, "these are round fired from an unregistered or stolen barrel that match rounds from fourteen other homicides in the past two months."

Which would be funny, because if the pcs are trading in their barrels to their dealer contact, who is recycling them, Lone Star could think it was tracking down the most prolific spree killer in history when it is in fact just the barrel. Its a good argument for always making sure the unregistered barrel you're using is brand new.

I used to use the barrel/firing pin thing until I realized none of the GMs I played with cared. I would occasionally include it as flavor text, but those just weren't games where we were worried about Lone Star: CSI. Nowadays I just tend to take the guns off the npc's and throw them away after a few gun battles (or any gun battle I especially don't want to be associated with).

The cellphone idea is one I hadn't thought of. I'll use that from now on.
Shockwave_IIc
The cellphone idea is one that i've close to always been aware of ever since watching Enemy of the State.

"I want taps on there 10 most frequently called numbers, and then taps on their most frequent 10" I decided to look at my mobile and look at my last dialed list 15 long spanning 3 months...........
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Cynic project)
I have a few tips that I do not think that most shadowrunners use.

One, burners. A burner is a prepaid cell phone that you can throw away when you either burn threw the time or think that number is hot. By doing this, you will give big brother more trouble giving you a wire tap,and still have the ability to talk across town.

Two, changing barrels and firing pins.You should change the barrel and firing pins of your gun after every run you use it.This will help you get out of big brother's radar.

Three.Use common weapons.If you use this tip with tip two, you change your "basitic" finger prints into smears. As you are using common weapons that look to be completely different guns.

A runner who use say a costume built hand canon that will kill a "tank" and don't change the firing pin and barrelling.Will both leave marks that will say that one person did,because of the rarity of the weapon and the rifling patterns/firing pin mark.

Most my runners use radios with some level of Encryption on them, and use payphones when they need to make indiscreet calls to Mr. J. Deckers are also a handy tool for keeping prying eyes out of those phone calls.
DrJest
QUOTE (Nikoli)
The problem with that tactic is that all barrels are registered before sale by 2064 since most are moving to that now. Buddy of mine bought a spare barrel and faced that. It's not common practice now, but in 60 years it very well may be. The trick then is to make friends with a mage that has modded the fashion spell to alter your rifling. Or use shotguns.

Shape Earth. Assuming it's not a plastic barrel.

Did I miss the part where if I am Ares, I am an legally speaking a country. I make my own laws,I keep track of my own records

Yes, this is true. On your own corporate territory. They would still be illegal on UCAS turf though. Supplying "illegal" (by the UCAS definition) barrels to the general public leads to two things:

1) Lone Star arrests the purchasers. The purchasers stop buying Ares barrels; easier to buy from someone else and have less hassle. Ares loses profits hand over fist. The exec responsible for vetoing the registration idea loses his job (could be worse, could be Aztech. Hand me that knife...).

2) Legal action against Ares by the UCAS, probably through the UCC and covertly supported by any corps that would love to see Ares get fragged over.
toturi
Bet you that the UCAS passed all sorts of laws that allowed the government to ignore those pesky gun laws in the interest of national security.

Why would the Star arrest the purchasers? If they are selling on Ares soil, the Star is going to play with themselves, while those guys sell in broad daylight. Legal action how? Covert support? You mean there is actually going to be an increase in covert activity that will rely on the "illegal" barrels that I sold? Where do I sign up?
mfb
shape earth doesn't work on processed materials. for something like that, i'd require a specific spell--Forge Barrel, or somesuch. your average mage, even with a Shape Processed Metals spell, shouldn't be able to create a gun barrel, unless they have a strong mental image of what a gun barrel is and how it works--enough knowledge, basically, to forge a gun barrel out of the appropriate materials without magic.
Puck Wildhorse, M.D.
Hi. Please don’t take this as a personnel attack or the start of a flame war, but I thought I’d point out a few things.

First, I like the point about using a “burn phone” and I would expand it to include any equipment. A runner should be willing to drop any piece of equipment any time it becomes more of a liability than an asset. I doubt you’d find too many deckers who are wiling to throw away their cyberdeck or riggers who would abandon a highly modified vehicle. But your basic weapons and equipment should be replaceable and therefore ditch able at a moment’s notice..

The bit about replacing the gun barrels probably isn’t as useful as you’d imagine. When you fire any firearm with a rifled barrel, the rifling makes marks on the outer surface of the bullet. These marks are kinda like fingerprints and can be used to determine if a given gun fired a given bullet. A match found in this manner can be used as evidence to support a case in a court of law. But here’s the thing, most Shadowrunners are SINless, meaning just having a firearm makes you guilty. The police don’t have to prove anything to a court because the SINless don’t have any rights. The police can shoot an armed SINless person dead in downtown Seattle at high noon in front of 100 people and 10 cameras and they wouldn’t get in trouble. Hell they can probably get away with shooting an unarmed SINless person in the same circumstances.

But say the shooter has a SIN or has powerful connections that make a court case necessary. The police still need a whole, undamaged bullet to be of legal use. A bullet can easily be deformed by hitting body armor, bones, cybernetic implants, or any other hard surface. Special bullets such as dum-dums, hollowpoints, explosive, EX explosive, flechette, glazer, gel rounds and APDS all leave deformed or otherwise unusable bullets after firing. If a whole, undamaged bullet is recovered, the police still only have half of the information they need. They need to recover the gun and fire a test bullet. Once they have a test bullet, they can compare it to all of the other bullets they have and see if there are any matches. If there are matches, then they can say with some assurance that this gun fired this bullet which killed this guy.

Now before someone comes along and says that they don’t really need whole, undamaged bullets, let me just say that you can make a match to a partial bullet or a fragment. This kind of a match is not at all conclusive and a good defense lawyer would point out that this is not enough to convict if not get the evidence thrown out altogether. The police might use evidence from a bullet fragment as a means of refining a case; focusing in on a suspect and trying to find better evidence they can use to get a conviction. Or, they might use this evidence in addition to a lot of other evidence to build a solid case. But a bullet fragment alone isn’t worth much.

Now, the next bit you spoke of is changing the firing pins. Firing pins make distinctive marks on the ejected brass from a fired bullet. This means that the ejected brass can be matched to a firearm and this can be used as evidence. The same limitations apply to this form of evidence as to matching rifling marks except that brass usually doesn’t get deformed enough to destroy firing pin marks. However, in Shadowrun all firearms are available in versions that fire caseless ammo (BBB pg276). The only rules difference is that caseless ammo doesn’t leave spent brass behind. I would assume that the smart Shadowrunner would elect to go caseless.

Now if you’re looking for a good tip:

1) Carry a spray bottle full of a chemical degreaser or of a weak acid. Spray this on blood and you’ll probably make the blood unusable as a link for ritual sorcery or as a source of DNA.
2) Use a metal file on each of your fingertips to remove the fingerprints temporarily. The skin will grow back and look normal after a few days. In the meantime, none of your prints will match those you might have on file. You could also use a drop of superglue on your fingertips. It dries in about 10 seconds and will stay stuck to your skin for a few days, marring any prints you’d leave. Of course, you’ll be leaving small traces of cyanoacrylic at crime scenes but that can hardly be used to identify you. For a more permanent solution, try scarring or burning off your fingerprints with acid.
3) Go visit a barber shop and grab handfuls of cut hair off of the floor. Scatter this around crime scenes. Do the same thing with random carpet fibers, rope fibers, thread, dirt, rocks, etc. That way, the CSI types have to search through hundreds of different clues to find the one that you might have left behind at the scene. The old needle in the stack of needles trick.
kevyn668
Also be aware of what kind of game your GM runs. Sometimes you may be wasting your time coming up with clever ideas to outsmart your GM's clever ideas.

Unless there's new stuff in the books I don't have, there are no existing rules for crime scene investigation and cops keeping files on your crimes. Not trying to say that the cops of the 2060's are the "Other Game" equivalent of monsters that just sit in a dungeon and wait for the PCs to come a long and relieve them of the tedium of life but...Like I said it depends more on what kind of game your GM runs than RL comparisons.

It also depends on where you run. Barrens? Ha! You could shoot the crap out of the gang nextdoor and sign your name and the Star isn't going come looking for you. Downtown? Different story...

Happy hunting. smile.gif
BitBasher
But here’s the thing, most Shadowrunners are SINless, meaning just having a firearm makes you guilty. The police don’t have to prove anything to a court because the SINless don’t have any rights.
This has to be the most persistent false piece of info about SR that I can remember. Sinless DO have rights, they are technically "probationary citizens". They just have lesser rights that someone with a SIN, somewhat like a resident alien.
mfb
i dunno. say they've already got enough of other types of evidence to put you away, if they find you. they've got you linked to certain incidents through other factors, and they've got bullets fired from the same gun at all those incidents--two plus two equals that's your gun, or at least a gun used by one of your associates. a little legwork might possibly come up with names and descriptions of the runners who did those runs. from there, LS might be able to track you down and arrest you. the evidence wouldn't need to stand up in court; it'd just need to be enough for an arrest warrant. removing that one possibility from the arsenal of ways to find you that LS already has is definitely worth thinking about.
kevyn668
1) Carry a spray bottle full of a chemical degreaser or of a weak acid. Spray this on blood and you’ll probably make the blood unusable as a link for ritual sorcery or as a source of DNA.
2) Use a metal file on each of your fingertips to remove the fingerprints temporarily. The skin will grow back and look normal after a few days. In the meantime, none of your prints will match those you might have on file. You could also use a drop of superglue on your fingertips. It dries in about 10 seconds and will stay stuck to your skin for a few days, marring any prints you’d leave. Of course, you’ll be leaving small traces of cyanoacrylic at crime scenes but that can hardly be used to identify you. For a more permanent solution, try scarring or burning off your fingerprints with acid.
3) Go visit a barber shop and grab handfuls of cut hair off of the floor. Scatter this around crime scenes. Do the same thing with random carpet fibers, rope fibers, thread, dirt, rocks, etc. That way, the CSI types have to search through hundreds of different clues to find the one that you might have left behind at the scene. The old needle in the stack of needles trick.

Heh. Back in college, we would've called this list an intro chapter to "How to get away with murder 102."

I have a tip for all shadowrun players: Try to have fun. smile.gif If this is the level of play that you're comfortable with, have at it. If you're new or you're a GM with new players, keep in mind that your players may not have this level of dedication.

Oh, if you follow #3 try not to get caught with the hair--you'll be taunted by the police. And if you want to get detailed, the hairs from the barbershop will look different than the hairs that just fall off your body (or someone else's, for that matter). Even if there's a needle in a haystack, lab techs get paid to analyze each and every one of them. If your GM is CSI nut (farfetched show, BTW) he or she will still nail you on this one.

But here’s the thing, most Shadowrunners are SINless, meaning just having a firearm makes you guilty. The police don’t have to prove anything to a court because the SINless don’t have any rights.

This has to be the most persistent false piece of info about SR that I can remember. Sinless DO have rights, they are technically "probationary citizens". They just have lesser rights that someone with a SIN, somewhat like a resident alien.

Saw that one coming. wink.gif
BitBasher
I've typed that a few times in the past, yes. wink.gif
kevyn668
I was gonna say something about the rights of the SINless but I didn't wanna steal your thunder. No offense, BTW. smile.gif
KarmaInferno

A bleach solution works well for this. And you probably have some around the house already.

Or, you could, y'know, wear gloves or something.

This one's really cool.

Heh. Back in college, we would've called this list an intro chapter to "How to get away with murder 102."

These days it's probably best to wave to the nice government men that may be reading this thread.

Then again, they might have already just locked Dumpshock out of their search filters, considering how many hits they must be getting fromhere.

spin.gif

or maybe they have a mile long dossier on every one of us...

anyways, there was a news posting on slashdot not to long ago about the effect of the CSI show on jurys...

and about those SINless, yes they have rights. so gunning down a person like that on the open street may be a bad idea (unless he was openly threatening people around him and so on). still, the cops would be less then interested in a case where a sinless was found dead somewhere. they are second rate people anyways...
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Puck Wildhorse @ M.D.)
Special bullets such as dum-dums, hollowpoints, explosive, EX explosive, flechette, glazer, gel rounds and APDS all leave deformed or otherwise unusable bullets after firing.

Well, first of all, I doubt softpoint ammunition for the .303 British manufactured in an Indian ammunition factory near the end of the 19th century would be very common in the SR 2060s. Second, I would assume that many APDS sabot-designs in the 2060s were such that their technology could beyond any doubt recreate the full rifling pattern from them. Third, hollowpoint (and other, conventional expanding/deforming bullet variants) rounds tend to leave an intact jacket base, big enough to allow identification through the rifling pattern.

Regardless, someone who knows their ammunition could certainly choose only to fire rounds which deform to a degree that determining the rifling pattern from the fired projectile is impossible.
Wounded Ronin
Would it help if you only used lead non-jacketed rounds?
Moonstone Spider
Re: Buying Gun Barrels

It frankly isn't particularly difficult to make an entire gun, much less the barrel, if you have a halfway decent machine shop and a modicum of howto knowledge. Making a Barrel, which is one of the simplest pieces, should be a TN 3 or maybe even 2 B/R test if you have a gunshop (Kit wouldn't work, you'd need some bigger stuff than you can lug around).
Ed Simons
Tips for Shadowrunners?

1) You don't get experience for killing things.
2) There isn't treasure behind every door.
3) You can't take your weapons everywhere.
4) A single Ork or guard could kill you.
Enigma
Thoughts in response:

(1) I would have thought the best plan would be being able to use any pistol, not concentrating in Predator to a high level. Then, try and change guns every run or two by buying a whole new gun. Dispose of the old one by getting a thin file and rasping the hell out of the inside of your old barrel to destroy any chance it will be tested, then pull the gun to bits and dispose of the bits off different bridges in the greater Seattle area.

(2) All the forensic evidence in the world means nothing if you can make the evidence disappear, or screw up the chain of custody, or taint the original evidence, or pay a police officer or prosecutor or judge. I'm a prosecutor and I'm constantly glad I don't have to conform to US law about the admission of evidence. A smart runner could derail the impending freight train of doom that is the Lone Star CSI team with a simple short run or a large shiny bribe.

(3) Let's be honest - no player has the time or the interest to sit around and think of every single possible way that a forensic team could find them. There just isn't any way to figure out every possibility, and still have much fun with a game. Better to just have a general understanding with the GM about where the line is.

The understanding I have with my players is that I won't be rediculous with CSI techniques used against them (or cows from space, for that matter) and ruin their fun, provided they don't go nuts and do excessive things. For example, if they leave a ritual sample at the scene (like a large pool of arterial blood) and they've stolen a hideously expensive prototype gizmo, they will probably need to spend a few thousand on wards and shamanic magic help. If they do a run and their photographs are taken by lots of cameras which they noticed and didn't care about, their contacts will avoid them for a couple of weeks and they'll want to lay low till the heat dies down.

Protecting against every possible forensic technique and doing runs in full-body sealed suits and breathing through respirators is not practical and is not condusive to game play, because you can easily ruin enjoyment through guarding against everything.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Would it help if you only used lead non-jacketed rounds?

I somehow doubt it. I don't think lead wad-cutters, for example, have a tendency to completely deform without leaving the kind of base I mentioned. But you could get, for example, JHPs with a very thin jacket designed to heavily deform or even fragment. Check out the jackets from these test firings into gelatin -- take that a bit further without jeopardizing the controlled expansion of the core, and the end result would be nearly useless for forensics purposes.

SR Explosive, Flechette and Glazer ammunition would also not leave any solid pieces big enough to get the rifling pattern from. Although seeing as how the rules don't really describe how ammunition of similar names work IRL, there's no real reason why the GM couldn't decide otherwise with them as well...

[Edit]Still about the non-jacketed lead rounds -- what it really comes down to is what sort of alloy of lead (or other materials) are we talking about. You could probably create non-jacketed bullets which would deform completely when impacting humans at velocities as low as 800fps. Most non-jacketed rounds IRL would probably deform completely and fragment extensively at 2000+fps velocities (ie when fired out of most rifles).

The advantage of a completely deforming/fragmenting jacket over this is that you can still have a core which undergoes only limited deformation -- or even a completely rigid (armor-piercing) core, although at that point you might be better off with APDS.[/Edit]
draco aardvark
Tips for (newbie) shadowrunners:

1. don't use your only residence as a meeting place (is it just my crew that brings everyone to their house when they first meet? I can userstand it if you've gotten to know the guy...)
2. Don't bring in a gun when you can see the metal detector (aarg, what's wrong with them?)
3. Consider carefully every life you take and every witness you spare.
4. Don't piss off team members who know where you live and have access to explosives.
Demosthenes
QUOTE (draco aardvark)
Tips for (newbie) shadowrunners:

1. don't use your only residence as a meeting place (is it just my crew that brings everyone to their house when they first meet? I can userstand it if you've gotten to know the guy...)
2. Don't bring in a gun when you can see the metal detector (aarg, what's wrong with them?)
3. Consider carefully every life you take and every witness you spare.
4. Don't piss off team members who know where you live and have access to explosives.

Corollary to #4: Don't let anyone with access to explosives know where you live...
Kagetenshi
Corollary to corollary to #4: Though letting them think you live somewhere else is fine. Especially if you never liked the neighbors there anyway.

~J
Chance359
"Guy once told me if you're gonna be out making moves on the street, have not attachments, nothing you are not willing to walkout on in thirty seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner." Neil McCauley, Heat
Teulisch
Okay, i got some advice for ya.

First, have more than one apartment. you got one place where ya live, and another where you can lay low, like after a run. change your 'lay low' apartment every month if ya can.

If you can afford it, rig up some kinda storage unit (permanent squat?) where you can keep your back-up gear. change of clothes, spare gun, ammo, armor, medical gear. Stuff you can go get in an absolute emergency.

Cover your face when your tresspassin on corp property. if they cant see your face, they will have a harder time findin you later. a respirator is good, as it helps protect against gas as well. also dont leave any material links.

on guns: practicality is issue one. dont carry it unless you need it, know how to fight without it. conceal it whenever possible, invest in concealable quickdraw holsters. you dont want to have a visable piece in public. Pistols are best, unless you know for a fact that your about to be in a big firefight, then get the best gun you can use. have a hidden compartment in your car for the big guns.

Cars- get a morphing liscence plate and a decent transponder library. drive something non-descript. cheap cars are good.

Know who on your team does what. Everyone should be able to do more than one job, in case someone gets injured. everyone should know first aid.

use encryption on your radios! and when you do talk, use code-words. the other side has radios as well, and will try to listen to your conversation. you should try to listen to theirs.

after a run, do NOT party. first thing you do, check for bugs. you may have a tracer on you. stay alert, and be ready to move. you may have been followed. change clothes, wash your hands. change your shoes/boots. hide any wounds you have after they have been treated.

Security cameras: many times, these are not connected to the matrix, and may very well be on an adjacent building or structure. These probably go to a CCSS rigger. Look like you belong, either with illusion that fools video, or by actualy looking the part (a better idea where possible). looking like your a bored employee makes fast-talk a lot easier.

use non-lethal force when possible. use silencers. the only gernades you should use under normal circumstances are gas and smoke. and dont use em unless you have a good throwing arm.

leave evidence that points to someone else. for instance, if you need to smash a place up, leave some holloweener gang symbols spraypaintd about. it will confuse the issue.

be professional. this means be polite. be polite until you need to hurt people. then be polite again right afterwards. show respect to your contacts and employers. polite people get paid more than rude people.

bug your own apartment. check the bugs on a regular basis. this way if anyone breaks in you will know who, when, ect.

always assume that there is at least a watcher spirit, unless you mage tells you otherwise.
Kagetenshi
Non-lethal force leaves the possibility of someone you've already taken care of being there when you get back. It is a viable option sometimes, but hardly the objective in and of itself that some people claim.

~J
Ol' Scratch
I prefer using non-lethal force on a run for two major reasons.

1) It gives you more control of the situation when things get ugly. Once you take down your opponent, you can then spend a moment to rationally determine if he's worth eliminating for good or merely someone who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. If the former, shifting Deadly Stun to Deadly Physical takes no time or effort at all considering the target is unconscious and unable to resist.

2) Lone Star, security forces, and other similar opposition tend to respond very poorly to their comrades being murdered by criminals. If you had only KOed that cop rather than killing him, chances are you wouldn't have half the force hunting you down trying to get a little payback.

Basically, it's better to be safe than sorry. Plus, from a metagaming point of view, it's a lot easier to knock someone out than kill them anyway. Capsule Rounds with Pepper Spray or DMSO/Gamma Scopolamine will take just about anyone down (if not from the bullet itself, then from the chemical a few seconds later). Ditto for someone throwing a couple of punchs with Shock Gloves (Moderate damage plus Serious damage with each blow) vs. a pair of Swords (Moderate damage each blow). etc.
John Campbell
QUOTE (Ed Simons)
Tips for Shadowrunners?

And, along the same lines:
  • Orks and trolls are just big ugly people, and killing them is murder. Similarly, that dark-skinned elf is just a black guy with pointy ears, not a chaotic evil worshipper of the spider queen.
Birdy
QUOTE (John Campbell)
QUOTE (Ed Simons @ Nov 24 2004, 09:07 PM)
Tips for Shadowrunners?

And, along the same lines:
  • Orks and trolls are just big ugly people, and killing them is murder. Similarly, that dark-skinned elf is just a black guy with pointy ears, not a chaotic evil worshipper of the spider queen.

Oh oh! That's why those "Uralte" gang is after me. And I thought I just killed a dark elf with a fancy picture on his soft leather armor.

Another few tips:

+ Never leave someone behind that can! identify you. Either get a new face or make sure he did the "final payment on the farm". The latter is less-costly and faster

+ A Troll with a ski mask is still a Troll. The number of professional Troll runners is limited. And their horn/tusk/derman patterns are resonably unique. Don't run with a Troll!

+ The best enemy mage is one with a nice a migraine. The form that is induced by a large caliber weapon.

+ Sometimes violence is! a solution.

Birdy
Kagetenshi
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the judicious use of enough violence.

~J
Solstice
QUOTE (Puck Wildhorse, M.D.)
Hi. Please don’t take this as a personnel attack or the start of a flame war, but I thought I’d point out a few things.

First, I like the point about using a “burn phone” and I would expand it to include any equipment. A runner should be willing to drop any piece of equipment any time it becomes more of a liability than an asset. I doubt you’d find too many deckers who are wiling to throw away their cyberdeck or riggers who would abandon a highly modified vehicle. But your basic weapons and equipment should be replaceable and therefore ditch able at a moment’s notice..

The bit about replacing the gun barrels probably isn’t as useful as you’d imagine. When you fire any firearm with a rifled barrel, the rifling makes marks on the outer surface of the bullet. These marks are kinda like fingerprints and can be used to determine if a given gun fired a given bullet. A match found in this manner can be used as evidence to support a case in a court of law. But here’s the thing, most Shadowrunners are SINless, meaning just having a firearm makes you guilty. The police don’t have to prove anything to a court because the SINless don’t have any rights. The police can shoot an armed SINless person dead in downtown Seattle at high noon in front of 100 people and 10 cameras and they wouldn’t get in trouble. Hell they can probably get away with shooting an unarmed SINless person in the same circumstances.

But say the shooter has a SIN or has powerful connections that make a court case necessary. The police still need a whole, undamaged bullet to be of legal use. A bullet can easily be deformed by hitting body armor, bones, cybernetic implants, or any other hard surface. Special bullets such as dum-dums, hollowpoints, explosive, EX explosive, flechette, glazer, gel rounds and APDS all leave deformed or otherwise unusable bullets after firing. If a whole, undamaged bullet is recovered, the police still only have half of the information they need. They need to recover the gun and fire a test bullet. Once they have a test bullet, they can compare it to all of the other bullets they have and see if there are any matches. If there are matches, then they can say with some assurance that this gun fired this bullet which killed this guy.

Now before someone comes along and says that they don’t really need whole, undamaged bullets, let me just say that you can make a match to a partial bullet or a fragment. This kind of a match is not at all conclusive and a good defense lawyer would point out that this is not enough to convict if not get the evidence thrown out altogether. The police might use evidence from a bullet fragment as a means of refining a case; focusing in on a suspect and trying to find better evidence they can use to get a conviction. Or, they might use this evidence in addition to a lot of other evidence to build a solid case. But a bullet fragment alone isn’t worth much.

Now, the next bit you spoke of is changing the firing pins. Firing pins make distinctive marks on the ejected brass from a fired bullet. This means that the ejected brass can be matched to a firearm and this can be used as evidence. The same limitations apply to this form of evidence as to matching rifling marks except that brass usually doesn’t get deformed enough to destroy firing pin marks. However, in Shadowrun all firearms are available in versions that fire caseless ammo (BBB pg276). The only rules difference is that caseless ammo doesn’t leave spent brass behind. I would assume that the smart Shadowrunner would elect to go caseless.

Now if you’re looking for a good tip:

The voice of reason....
Siege
If you want to get technical, go see a Street Doc and have him graft synth-flesh to the ends of your fingertips.

It would be a temporary fix, but it would get the job done.

-Siege
Sandoval Smith
Know your GM. If you take care to leave people alive and stable, some will treat that as a cosmic plus to what you have to deal with afterwards. Others will add that many people to the list of those trying their best to make you dead.

Ditto fpr leaving evidence at the scene. Some will consider a mission well run the end of the story. Others will start to play CSI: Seattle.
Fresno Bob
You could always just steal guns to get past the whole registering thing.
Traks
Don't give explosives to Troll. Never, ever - if you are another shadowrunner.
If you are GM, give them lots of explosives smile.gif
DarkShade
tips:
1) always check the crazy rigger/demolition expert`s trunk before going in his car.. make sure there arent a few 100 kg of C4 in there..

2) NEVER. EVER let an otaku stay over, NEVER EVER let said otaku jack in from your house.. what he calls `just playing games` will get some big rough men to `come over to play`next evening @ your living room..

3) beware of "friendlies" with no skills in throwing but large amounts of grenades.

4) Hellhounds are not `misunderstood but basically cute and cuddly`they dont want friends.

5) beware of mages that look at your area, count the nr of enemies, the nr of friendlies and seem to go Hmmmm....

DS
Siege
Wrap the mage in flame-resistant, ballistic fabric every time he goes astral in the creepy R&D lab.

It cuts down on the explosion radius and makes cleanup that much easier.

-Siege
Ed Simons
QUOTE (Birdy)
+ Never leave someone behind that can! identify you. Either get a new face or make sure he did the "final payment on the farm". The latter is less-costly and faster.

It also increases the amount of time and effort people will spend looking for you. Lone Star (or any other Corp) is a lot more ticked if you slaughter some of their people than if you stunball them.

Plus killing all potential witnesses is no guarantee that there weren't other witnesses you didn't see - hidden cameras, astral observers, people with stealth skills, etc.

Besides, killing people is generally messy. Behead someone with a katana, and you will be covered in blood, which makes it rather hard to blend into crowds while leaving the scene. It also greatly increases the chance of your leaving footprints at the scene.
Kagetenshi
By the same token, if you regularly kill people assigned to take you down, the individuals actually doing the looking are going to become rather demotivated.

~J
Ed Simons
QUOTE (Traks)
Don't give explosives to Troll. Never, ever - if you are another shadowrunner.

Actually, the one Troll PC I've seen would be near the top of my list to trust with explosives. Most of the PCs I wouldn't trust with explosives were elves.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
By the same token, if you regularly kill people assigned to take you down, the individuals actually doing the looking are going to become rather demotivated.

It really depends on how you view the SR world and where you do your running. RL experience shows that that kind of logic doesn't work for shit in the civilized world. It does in shitholes, which unfortunately refers to a very large part of the world. In the canon world with lots of Z-zones etc, you just might pull it off.

Because we did our running in Finland, I try to be careful about my opinions on the matter. Let's just say that if (and when...) my players tried something like that, they'd promptly get their asses handed to them.
Kagetenshi
See my quote above.

Trick is, it's beyond the abilities of most players and most characters I've known to apply violence both judiciously and in sufficient volume (and, for that matter, beyond the ability of most people in real life). However, there are times to leave no survivors. Zero body count is another tool like any other, and there are times when it is not the right one for the job.

~J
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Trick is, it's beyond the abilities of most players and most characters I've known to apply violence both judiciously and in sufficient volume.

In the modern US, for example, it would probably require a few hundred nuclear warheads with a total yield in several gigatons-range and the ability and motivation to use them effectively. Short of (the threat of) massive destruction and indeed annihilation of a large part of the population and infrastructure of the country, using violence to deter a civilized western country from doing anything about a serial murderer is a bit, uhh, difficult.

Fortunately(?), several urban areas in formerly civilized western countries have become almost fully the equivalents of RL 3rd world urban hellholes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012