Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vampires and ghouls
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Grifter
Which source books have the stats for HMHVV strands such as ghouls and vampires, I'm looking to make a holy crusader type adept who is obsessed with hunting down the undead. I know year of the comet has shedhim in it but I'm clueless as to the rest.

edit: noted and corrected, thanks mercer
Mercer
Well, bone to pick first off, neither ghouls nor vamps are undead. Technically they are people infected by various strains of HMHVV. This is true of wendigo, dzoo-noo-qua, goblins, banshees, bandersnatchs and pretty much any other "vampire" you'd care to name.

Shedim, or wraiths (from PAoE) are more like undead in the classical sense, though technically they're spirits. The only things I can in good conscience call "undead" would be the corps cadavers (from PAoE) and the zombies that hougans can make, though I don't know what book those are in or if they're covered seperately. Edit: And cyberzombies, from M&M.

In any event, both PAoNA and PAoE have various HMHVV types in them, and the updated critter book that came with the 3ed Screen updated the game information for just about all the critters in all the sourcebooks produced thus far.

Editted for spelling
akarenti
There's also info about Ghouls in the SR Companion, and a short contact-style writeup of a ghoul, as well as a few paragraphs about ghoul hunting tactics in MJLBB. (MJLBB just mentions them im passing, but theres a few tidbits for those of us who haven't been around for PAoNA and PAoE).

Asside from that stats for all the HMHVV Infected folks are in the Critters book that came with the SR3 GM Screen like Mercer said.

I think I read somewhere that the soon-to-be-released sourcebook Running Wild was going to have a section dealing with the Infected, but I could be wrong.

kevyn668
If he doesn't post here soon, you could try PMing HMHVV Hunter. He has some experience with these types of characters and could probably offer some really good advice having play tested this concept more than the rest of us.

If you want to do it yourself, my recomendation is to more consideration into your knowledge skills. They're what really sperates one combat adept from another, IMO.

Good luck!
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (Mercer)
The only things I can in good conscience call "undead" would be the corps cadavers (from PAoE) and the zombies that hougans can make, though I don't know what book those are in or if they're covered seperately. Edit: And cyberzombies, from M&M.

Ghosts and Specters, described in MITS, might also be undead. Or perhaps they're astral 'echoes' of formerly living people. We don't know!
Jason Farlander
For general knowledge about the various strains of HMHVV, you might want to check out Ancient History's page about that subject. Doesn't provide any stats, but the information is appropriate/useful for a well-prepared of vampire hunter to know.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Mercer)
Well, bone to pick first off, neither ghouls nor vamps are undead. Technically they are people infected by various strains of HMHVV. This is true of wendigo, dzoo-noo-qua, goblins, banshees, bandersnatchs and pretty much any other "vampire" you'd care to name.

Yes and no. They do have a disease...but at least with baseline, strain I HMHVV, you have to have your Essence reduced to zero before the disease expresses itself. That is to say, you have to die. Sounds pretty undead to me.

Yes, I know it's just a technicality, but it's an important one, IMHO.
Mercer
Its an iffy distinction, because by that logic anyone who's ever had a near-death experience could qualify for undead status. But I see your point.
Grifter
Thanks for the info everyone and for the link, I don't have any of the paranormal animal books I don't believe and I haven't picked up any of the new ones yet, but any and all information helps me flesh out my character more.
Fix-it
a Looong long time ago someone (I think HMHVV Hunter) started an informal sourcebook on this. (well, hunting HMHVV-infected stuff)
they came up with a bunch of different wild variations too. cool stuff.

I have it archived-
I think...

And i'll be fragged. I dont.

anyone save a copy of that thread?

EDIT:
Ah! it was by ronin soul.

here's a thread referencing it. I betcha the orig is scatered bits now though.

and if ronin reads this post, I would like a copy. (packrat am I.)

EDIT AGAIN: and Ronin hasn't posted since august. Rats.
Fortune
Ronin Soul posts on Underworld (Jr. Woodchuck and TheDude's forum)... you might want to ask him there.
toturi
The original thread in the old forums
Fix-it
QUOTE (toturi)
The original thread in the old forums

yeah, that was it!
thanks for the linkage.
Grimtooth
i was reading T:WL last night and a questioned popped into my head.

Are the infected (vamps) immune to the effects of radiation? If so toxic areas would be the perfect places for them to live.

just curious
BitBasher
Even if they were, they would then radiate and damage people when they left, which is bad for them. The best place for Vamps is walking around like you and me, one of us. There's no good way to tell them from us. Vampires are just people with a disease, they're still people just like you and I... but... not. biggrin.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
Due to regeneration, it may be safe for shifters, but far from pleasant. All strains of HMHVV seem to require some form of feeding off of the non-infected, and it's hard to do that while hiding in a lifeless irradiated hellhole. However, shifters only need regular food consumption, which can be mail ordered much more easily. That will result in it's own set of problems, but at least make it harder for the Quebecers to hunt the shifter in question.
Botch
In SR2

The voodoun zombies are created by petro hougans and it expressly stated that no PC can be a petro hougan. No stats were given, but from memory neither of the 2 voodoun zombie forms were technically undead. One was alive, the other used a dead body as a physical host to a spirit form.

Although I do define undead as "An individuals corpse possessed by its own spirit/soul", so I don't count Shedim either.
Mercer
I'd tend to lump in the zombies and corps cadavers as undead because they're dead bodies that have been supernaturally animated. (Thats pretty much the defintion I found in the on-line dictionary I used, my Websters New World Dicitonary of American English doesn't even have it listed.) Whether or not you would consider that applicable to the HMHVV is debatable; but I don't think vamps in SR are technically dead (though they did die for a short period of time to be infected). I think they still have autonomic functions; their heart still beats, they still need to breathe and so on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012