Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's good for the GBA and Gamecube?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Scarab
Yesterday I couldn't resist anymore, and bought myself a silver GBA SP. It's cuuute!

So. Got any good games to recommend? I bought Phantasy Star Collection, mostly because it's 179 SEK at my Friendly Local Gaming Store and I can trade it in for 300 SEK (in other games) at another place. biggrin.gif

I have a Gamecube since before, but there seems to be a bit of a drought on the GCN scene at the moment. Soul Calibur 2 sounds promising, and I'll probably pick it up once it's released here in Europe (around the 26th is the latest word).

I'm a big fan of RPGs, and thankfully there are a bunch in the pipeline for the 'cube. Baten Kaitos, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles and Tales of Symphonia come to mind.

I've played the Castlevania games for GBA quite a lot (on an emulator, no less, but they're pretty high on the shopping list now that I actually have a GBA), and loved them. I'm a big fan of platform games that mix action, exploration and item hunting. Metroid Fusion can also be added to that description, so on the list it goes.
Ronin Soul
I'm not 100% if this is true or not but Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is supposedly being ported over to the GC and X-Box, if you're interested in that type of thing.

Um, good (IMO) GC games:
* Mystic Heroes (like Dynasty Warriors' little brother. It's a lot of fun once you get over the terrible voice acting)
* Bloody Roar: Primal Fury: Probably the best fighting game on the GC at the moment. Quite a good game
* Hunter: the Reckoning: Totally an action game but a fun one
* The Resident Evil series

If you can find it Skies of Arcadia. It's been discontinued to the best of my knowledge for some obscure reason but it was apparently a really good game.
Scarab
Well, I just won two auctions on Tradera, so sometime this week I'll get Wario Ware and Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance. Nice.

Wario Ware is an utterly insane game. biggrin.gif
The_Sarge
I can second Blood Roar!

I had the chance to play the game for a weekend, and it totally hooked me. It's sad that the cutscences don't have voice-overs, but the gameplay is cool.

Although it felt so horribly, damn DUMB being beaten by a friggin' penguin! *argh* (You'll understand. *g*)
Scarab
For my fighting needs I have my sights set on Soul Calibur 2 at the moment, but I'll have a look at Bloody Roar as well.
Ronin Soul
QUOTE (The_Sarge)
I can second Blood Roar!

I had the chance to play the game for a weekend, and it totally hooked me. It's sad that the cutscences don't have voice-overs, but the gameplay is cool.

Although it felt so horribly, damn DUMB being beaten by a friggin' penguin! *argh* (You'll understand. *g*)

Ah yes, Cronos "the Phoenix". Don't worry, his hyper-beast form is much better. The penguin is just annoying because it's so damn hard to hit.
Did you come across Uranus? There's an interesting conspiracy theory involving her, Cronos and Uriko, but you'd have to have seen her to understand it...

And I find the lack of sound effects in the cut scenes too. Still, they're anime, so I can forgive biggrin.gif
Scarab
Soul Calibur 2 0wns me.
thunderchild
QUOTE (Scarab)
What's good for the GBA and Gamecube?

FIRE, LOTS AND LOTS OF FIRE, A LITTLE BRIIMSTONE PERHAPS SOME ACID, THEN MORE FIRE!
Phylos Fett
Is Soul Calibur as good as the original?
Fygg Nuuton
i hear better, but im broke so i cannot buy it frown.gif
DR.PaiN
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance!

w00t w00t

That game pwnz j00.

Scarab
QUOTE (Darth Phylos)
Is Soul Calibur as good as the original?

I haven't played any of the earlier games, but this is easily the best 3D fighter I've ever played.
Hocus Pocus
I'm sure somebody already suggest Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced. If it's anything like the PS version you WILL NOT be disappointed.
Warmaster Lah
I've played a few decent games on GBA. Depends on what you like but I recommend

Advanced Wars 1&2 (cool little war strategy games)
MegaMan Battle Network 1&2 (Action RPG kinda)
The Golden Sun games (decent old school style rpgs)
Tactics Orge: Knight of Lodis (Another good Strategy RPG)
Megaman Zero (I liked it, and the new style Zero too darnit)

and of course FFT: Advanced (delicious)

Fygg Nuuton
skies of arcadia legends = holy SHIT!!!! im addicted right now, so, backl to the game!
TimeKeeper
Hmmm... Resident Evil saga.....check Hunter...check Skies.....check
Legend of Zelda.... got the bonus disc, but I heard that Wind Waker was good.
Soul Cailbur 2......check

Splinter Cell. Why? because the graphics are just as good as the Xbox and you can link up your GBA to get a little enemy radar.

Too bad Final Fantasy: CC does come out till next year....

Phantasy Star Online, but then again you'll spend more on the Broadband and keyboard and online fee....

Decent FPS are 007 (the new one) Time Splitters 2 and Jedi Knight 2. And Metroid.

As for GBA.... I got FFT on the 4th. It hasnt left my SP yet.
Though I'd maim for a good mindless shooter every once in a while (the only thing I have for the GBA are RPGs)
Scarab
QUOTE (TimeKeeper)
As for GBA.... I got FFT on the 4th. It hasnt left my SP yet.
Though I'd maim for a good mindless shooter every once in a while (the only thing I have for the GBA are RPGs)

FFTA isn't released over here yet, so I'm playing it via emulator right now. I have it preordered, though. Can't wait for it.

For my GBA, I'm primarily looking for platformers and RPGs.
MYST1C
QUOTE (Scarab)
For my GBA, I'm primarily looking for platformers and RPGs.

Well, I don't know that much about GBA games, much less these specific genres, but from the reviews I've read Advance Wars 1+2 seem to be among the best console strategy games ever...
Krypter
Golden Sun is an excellent RPG for the GBA-SP. Neat magic system, funky pseudo-3D graphics combined with great sprite animation makes this a fun classic RPG.
TimeKeeper
And the opening to part two is great... After you wake up on a shore after a tidle wave, you pop-up and ask "Do you want to check yourself for injurys?" (Yes-No)
Answer yes and the character waves first his right arm them left one ("Well, arms are still attached."), then shakes his legs, ("And the legs work too.") .

"Yep, your fine."

Super Mario Bros 3 comes out soon, and RPGs... You got your pick. Pokemon, Golden Sun, Final Fantasy (sort of), Phantasy Star... Goes on for a bit.
Scarab
I've been having a look at Gladius, coming soom for Xbox, PS2 and GC -- I think it's already out in the states, and it's released here in a week or two.

It seems to be a turn-based strategy game in the same vein as FFTA, which I loved. I'll read up on it a bit more and see if it's worthy of a purchase.
TimeKeeper
Yeah, Gladius looks good. No wait, let me rephrase that... It looks GREAT.
Saw the video demo then went to the site and got some more info.
Two storylines (one for the male, one for the female) and then the whole Real-Turn battle system with a squad.

This and the Armed and Dangerous were the new things that pleased me at the Lucas booth at Comic-con.

I'm probably going to pick that up, or maybe Quiddich, or T.H.U.G., or Rainbow 6 (xbox. Already got and beat Crimson Skies. Short but still great.).

If you want old School beat-em up, try the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game. And Resident Evil: Code Veronica X should be out soon too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012