Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grapple Guns
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Club
OK, I've read what slender descriptions there are. The fact that the grapple gun can fire a grapple and rope 100 meters is more or less given, but from there info is a bit slender

Pistol or SMG sized - and shaped, or a small mortar?

Does it reel in or not? If it does, is the user flying up (As in the old Batman cartoon) or slowly going up?

What is the grapple line you can buy? Loose light rope you can attach a grapple to, or a cassette with a grapple attached you hook up to the gun like a single shot clip?

Are the Grapple lines and grapples reusable, or one use only? Refurbishable?

If this has been covered in the past, sorry, but my search found nothing.
Sandoval Smith
I don't have my book with me, but check the conceal rating. You can use that to guesstimate the size.

It does reel (and I thought this was listed in the description) but the reel motor can only support a couple kilograms of weight. It's just supposed to be used for rewinding the line.

I've always said it's an attachable grapple, just for convience sake, since it's pretty rare to use all hundred meters at once, and having to get a new reel everytime you use the gun would be annoying.

Reusable, unless a troll used the hook to beat up a steel lynx or something. I figure even stealth line is reusable (with the caveat: reuseable so long as you didn't dissolve it when last used).
mfb
i usually use the pistols skill, though i suppose it might make more sense to use launch weapons (and scatter, too, maybe).
Luke Hardison
QUOTE (mfb @ Jan 12 2005, 12:10 PM)
i usually use the pistols skill, though i suppose it might make more sense to use launch weapons (and scatter, too, maybe).

I've always treated it as a projectile weapon ... one success at the appropriate range (with all applicable mods) required to attach it solidly. (and Perception(cool.gif or Athletics (Climbing) (4) test to know if it's attached or not)

Also, it's concealability is 7, putting it somewhere in the size area of a small Light Pistol. Pretty nice!
Nikoli
if the line retracts, what's the point of the stealth line?
Luke Hardison
QUOTE (Nikoli)

What if you're climbing down, not up? Or swinging across? Or using it to tether yourself for a horizontal climb? What if you are climbing up, but not as high as the nearest connection point for your hook? Then, your hook is stuck and retracting the line is pretty pointless.
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (Nikoli)

Because you're not always in a position to get the rope back. If you're doing a horizontal crossing, and tie down your end of the rope, there's no way to untie and reel it in once everyone is on the other side. Situations like that.
Smiley
Or if you're climbing up something to escape and someone's coming up after you. Yes, you can cut the rope if you wanna, but just imagine the look on your adversary's face when the rope he's climbing starts dissolving. Classic. biggrin.gif grinbig.gif

Seriously, though, If you have to use a whole lotta rope in a stealth situation and carrying it would encumber you unnecessarily and you don't want to leave a huge coil of climbing line on the top of a corp building, the stealth line is very, very handy. James Bond style, baby.
BaronJ
I've always assumed Heavy Pistol sizes, with a coffee-mug sized reel for the stealth-line (asumming it was thin, but not monofilament-thin); Kinda like really thick kite-string. For the monkeys using 'real' rope, that'd be one huge reel, so I usually just thought of it like a coil of rope which is tied to the hook, and the lobbed using the gun, just beware the Ahab-effect.

To use the sucker, it was a Pistols (Grapple Guns) 5 check to hook your target, using Heavy Pistol ranges for TN penalties. If you had an Ascender (100:nuyen:, Avail 4/24hr) attached to a Climbing Harness, that'd winch you up at about 5 metres per Combat Turn, or slightly faster than walking. Otherwise, the unit doesn't have enough juice to pull you up by itself.

But that's just me, and the Ascender is something I came up with, it's not canon.

BaronJ
Fix-it
Also remember the grapple gun can be underslung under anything SMG-size or bigger (shotguns and ARs mostly, don't know why you'd want it on an LMG.

You could also use the grapple gun with a free coil of rope. (just make sure you don't have it tangled in your foot.)
Tarantula
Just make sure you shoot someone with the grapple before you start shooting them with the LMG. No more hiding!
Jrayjoker
And as you reel them in the TN drops due to range...
Backgammon
Would it be feasible to have a special grapple gun built into a cyberarm, and use that CF to add a big enough engine with enough torque to it to reel up a human?
mfb
heh. wasn't there a sega game that featured something like that?
Club
Bionic Commando. Nintendo or SNES.

Of course, there are probably a dozen others.
Garland
The NES Bionic Commando was the bomb. Hitler's head exploding at the end was a defining moment in my young life.
Club
I rented it once. Never got past the first five enemies.

Another Question: how many players have used grapple guns? once, or are thay a tool of every char every made?
Necro Tech
QUOTE (Club)
OK, I've read what slender descriptions there are. The fact that the grapple gun can fire a grapple and rope 100 meters is more or less given, but from there info is a bit slender

Pistol or SMG sized - and shaped, or a small mortar?

Does it reel in or not? If it does, is the user flying up (As in the old Batman cartoon) or slowly going up?

What is the grapple line you can buy? Loose light rope you can attach a grapple to, or a cassette with a grapple attached you hook up to the gun like a single shot clip?

Are the Grapple lines and grapples reusable, or one use only? Refurbishable?

If this has been covered in the past, sorry, but my search found nothing.

Just as a clarification, grapple guns go 50M, not 100. Also, they use Heavy Crossbow ranges, not heavy pistol. Why crossbows use Str as a measure I'll never figure out.
Thistledown
I think we've always used shotgun skill for fireing a grapple gun, with the gun about 1.5 to 2 feet long, as seen in Street Sam Catalog. It might have been assault rifles. The Reels are about the size of a 50pk CD spindle.

We've had people take cyber arms with up to 3 grapple lines in them, but much less range and weight capacity.

We've also had somebody take a grapple finger, with a 15 foot range and something like a 5kg limit.

Oh, and conductive line. Same cost as stealth line, but can conduct electricity very well. From say, a stun batton or a touch range lightning bolt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012