Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Racial priorities
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
TeOdio
I went back and double checked some of the other pop distributions from the Shadows of North America and that put a hole in my population distribution line of thought. It seems that depending on where you live (other than the Tir), you see that it's usually either the Ork or the Elf that have the second highest percentage behind the Breeders. I guess I'll fall back on my other observation, that Trolls have a hard time because of their Monstrous appearance and that Elves have a hard time because of the public perception that you can't trust them. (Tir Tairngire anyone?) If none of these arguments make any sense to you that you would have to agree with some of the other posts and say that the priority costs seem a bit arbitrary. If they ever do another edition or a revised edition, they should state clearly why some races seem a bit over priced. Until then I'll stick w/ my metahuman bias argument. (Plus I hate tinkering w/ rules I shelled out my hard earned bucks to use)
nuyen.gif nuyen.gif nuyen.gif
kevyn668
QUOTE (Critias)
QUOTE (toturi @ Jan 17 2005, 12:12 AM)
This has been debated back and forth since I've been a newb here at the Forums. Elves are been proven to be the most overcosted methumans.

Really? If it's been proven so definatively, why's it been debated back and forth for so long, and obvious still a hot topic?

rotfl.gifHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA!!!rotfl.gif
<Wipes tears from eyes>
Oh, thats great! grinbig.gif

A topic that's been debated to death and still keeps turning up? On the 'Shock!? Noooo....Say it isn't so...

Seriously, somebody actually did number crunch including the cost multipliers a while back. It was pretty conclusive, IIRC. Can anybody post that link? My SearchForums Fu is weak.
Critias
My point is that just because someone's done the math doesn't mean anything's been conclusively proven. It means someone used numbers to back up their opinion, and it shut everyone up for a while.

Hell, when was the last time anything really got "proven" here, or on any other internet forum?
Kagetenshi
It was about to happen shortly before New Year's Eve. That's why the forums went down.

~J
Glyph
Someone (Dr. Funkenstein, I think) did a more detailed version, but here's the basic math for elves, so no one has to go thread-digging:

Bonus Attribute Point equivalent (x 3): 6
Exceptional Attribute Point equivalent (x 3): 6
Low-Light Vision (equivalent to Night Vision Edge): 2
Racism: -1
Bad Karma equivalent: -5

So elves are 8 points based purely on the points. But as I said before, you can do specific things with them that you can't duplicate with a human (or any of the other metaraces).
BitBasher
And racism at only -1 is pretty laughable in my opinion (and my game).
toturi
If and when the old forums are back up(if ever), I'd direct you to a 10+ pages of argument with Polaris. But as it is, Glyph's post roughly illustrates the argument.

And Racism is the elven equivalent of the Elf-Poser or Human Looking depending on how you look at it. Racism at only -1 may be laughable in your game but to the numbers the developers assigned stand as so until SR4 comes out.
Arethusa
QUOTE (BitBasher)
And racism at only -1 is pretty laughable in my opinion (and my game).

I'd have to agree, but, then again, I still say that attempting to handle racism mechanically was one remarkably stupid decision.
Aes
If the GM feels elves are overpriced in his game, he can do the same thing as any halfway decent DM in a fantasy setting does: IC fudge factors. I know a GM who almost obsessively keeps track of in-game time and only allows clerics to pray for spells _at_the_exact_time_ the sourcebooks say. Or they get no spells. It stopped some of the worst munchkinisms that gods opinions and clerical dogma was enforced.

In the same vein, if trolls/orcs/whatever seem too cheap compared to elves, simply start making NPCs react more negatively to the "monsters" (racism is a very real problem, after all), or allow the pretty elf a few social perks based on popular opinion.
Ed Simons
But people in general already act more negatively to the non-elves. Faced with the same amount of racism, the average elf has 5 dice of Charisma to counteract that. The average dwarf has 3, the average ork has 2, the average troll has 1.
Dexy
QUOTE (Glyph)
So elves are 8 points based purely on the points. But as I said before, you can do specific things with them that you can't duplicate with a human (or any of the other metaraces).

Ah, but you're only getting your full 8 points worth if you actually intend to play a Face, Conjuror or Full Mage, because there isn't much of a point to having Charisma higher than 5 otherwise.
Kagetenshi
Hardly. If you're an Otaku, it matters. If you want to negotiate, intimidate, or get a high level of Etiquette to obtain rare goods without help, it matters. If you can astrally perceive and have a low Strength, it matters.

~J
toturi
psst... An otaku has a flat limit to his Etiquette. Intimidate/interrogate, yes.
Kagetenshi
1) The limit is for chargen, not thereafter.

2) Likewise, Otaku can't astrally perceive. Each of those were separate.

~J
Glyph
QUOTE (Dexy)
QUOTE (Glyph @ Jan 19 2005, 02:10 AM)
So elves are 8 points based purely on the points.  But as I said before, you can do specific things with them that you can't duplicate with a human (or any of the other metaraces).

Ah, but you're only getting your full 8 points worth if you actually intend to play a Face, Conjuror or Full Mage, because there isn't much of a point to having Charisma higher than 5 otherwise.

I agree, but that's how it is with most of the metaraces. Someone playing a troll otaku probably isn't getting all of the value for his ten points. That's not bad, though. Someone picking the best metatype for a specialty will get their build points' worth, while someone picking a metatype purely for roleplaying reasons is less likely to care about getting shortchanged from a min-maxing perspective.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012