Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Next Step
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Magic Adept
I was looking at my gaming stores catologue to see what i'd get next rulebook wise and this is what they have in stock.

The prices are all in Australian Dollars and the prices next to the normal ones on the left mean that they are on special and the lower price is thier special price.

SHADOWRUN
5707124 CYBERPIRATES (SHADOWRUN) $40.00 $28.00
5707204 GERMANY SOURCEBOOK (SHADOWRUN) $36.00 $25.00
5707325 MISSIONS $33.00 $23.00
5707322 SUPER TUESDAY (SHADOWRUN) $30.00 $21.00
5707219 TARGET: MATRIX $40.00 $28.00
5710659 CANNON COMPANION (SHADOWRUN) $39.00
5210666 DRAGONS OF THE SIXTH WORLD (SHADOWRUN) $49.00
5225001 MAN & MACHINE: CYBERWARE (SHADOWRUN) $49.00
5225003 MR. JOHNSON'S LITTLE BLACK BOOK (SHADOWRUN) $49.00
5210662 RIGGER 3, REVISED (SHADOWRUN) $49.00
5225000 SHADOWRUN - THIRD EDITION $59.00
5225010 SHADOWRUN COMPANION $49.00
5210667 SPRAWL SURVIVAL GUIDE (SHADOWRUN) $50.00
5225013 STATE OF THE ART 2063 (SHADOWRUN) $49.00
5225004 STATE OF THE ART 2064 (SHADOWRUN) $49.00
5210654 WAKE OF THE COMET (SHADOWRUN) $46.00 $32.00
5210650 YEAR OF THE COMET (SHADOWRUN) $49.00

I guess i'm looking for the best next content step but some different points of view into what is better from different angles and why would be appreciated greatly.

Thankyou in advance.
Trax
I'm still new to this, but it would suggest getting the Companion, Cannon Companion, Sprawl Survival Guide, and Man & machine.
Ecclesiastes
Get the core books first. Man and Machine, Cannon Companion, Magic in the Shadows, Matrix (if you plan on doing decking), and Rigger 3 (if you plan on doing a lot of rigging).

After that, I like the State of the Art books and Shadowrun Companion (which has the edges and flaws in it, good stuff).
Magic Adept
it depends on what you define as core, some of those books you mentioned are out of stock and i have limited availability of shadowrun equipment where i live.
I defined SR3 as being core and the rest suppliments. I define core as "what you NEED to play"

toturi
What do you NEED then? Cannon Companion and Man and Machine (MitS too but it isn't on your list) are very useful.
Magic Adept
if i hadnt of asked you guys about what i should get i was actually gonna go out and grab, "Johnstons litttle black book" dont ask me why......
that or state of the art 2064..... dont ask me why either biggrin.gif

having lots of options rules wise at your disposal seems very important in SR in the past i've been a great fan of "fluff" if you know waht i'm talking about and i still am that or advice. although it maybe a different story here and i'm more than happy and willing to hear it from both angels willingly ... even with a smile on my face eek.gif
FrostyNSO
Get the "Holy Trinity" in addition to the Core book.

-Cannon Companion
-Man and Machine
-Magic in the Shadows

After that:

-Shadowrun Companion
Adam
Based on what you've said, I'd suggest the following products in the order listed below - I've added a few quick comments on each:

5225010 SHADOWRUN COMPANION - A bunch of optional/expanded rules and some GM advice

5225003 MR. JOHNSON'S LITTLE BLACK BOOK - A lot of GM advice, some expanded rules, a ton of contacts and plot hooks

5210667 SPRAWL SURVIVAL GUIDE - Little in the way of rules. Virtually all "fluff" about the way the Sixth World works.

5225013 STATE OF THE ART 2063 - A mix of fluff, new gear, and rules.

5225004 STATE OF THE ART 2064 - A mix of fluff, new gear, and rules.
Kagetenshi
I'd agree with Adam, but would personally kick 5225001 MAN & MACHINE: CYBERWARE up either right above or right below Sprawl Survival Guide.

~J
Magic Adept
well i'm considering either shadowrun companion or Johnsons little black book as i am wanting to start gming kinda soon cuase i'm kinda learning the rules on my own i have noone else to game with wher ei live that play this game so i'm forced to do it all myself so.. basically the more i Gm the better becuase as you probably all know the best way of learning is through practical use of whatever your learning. And i think the tips inside that book would be very useful.

Comments? smile.gif
Synner
MrJ's Little Black Book should prove pretty useful for the beginning GM with a number of things that will help him put together his first runs (from run breakdowns, to NPCs, locations and small run ideas).

IMHO Shadowrun Companion isn't quite so essential but it does have the point-based creation rules and some other useful stuff.

Sprawl Survival Guide has all that you need to know about the backdrop to your games from home appliances to common streetware. Personally its one of my favorite books in the range. However, it only has a smidgin of rules.
Crusher Bob
Of all the fluff guides, Sprawl Survival Guide is probably the best.

You can probably bet better advice on generating runs and stuff from Dumpshock instead of Mr. Johnson's back book (I'm not a real fan of it).

I also don't hold as high an opintion of the Canon Companion as some other people, the rules in it can be easily dropped. The SR Companion is probably a better buy, since it gives you point based character creation and the edges and flaws. (Of course you can get NSCRG and Becks for free...)

If you are trying to find more stuff to 'define' the world, Man and Machine isn't so good, as it is en edited version of several earlier cyberware books all crammed together, it's great rules wise, but has almost no fluff. Man and Machine should probably be bought alongside Magic in the Shadows for the rules balance of magic vs cyberware.

From your list I'd get Sprawl Survial Gudie and maybe the Companion next (Take a look at the free Becks karma based character generation system first though, you may find you like that itstead, and it's free).
Jrayjoker

5225010 SHADOWRUN COMPANION $49.00
5225001 MAN & MACHINE: CYBERWARE (SHADOWRUN) $49.00
5225003 MR. JOHNSON'S LITTLE BLACK BOOK (SHADOWRUN) $49.00
5210667 SPRAWL SURVIVAL GUIDE (SHADOWRUN) $50.00
5707219 TARGET: MATRIX $40.00 $28.00
5210662 RIGGER 3, REVISED (SHADOWRUN) $49.00
5710659 CANNON COMPANION (SHADOWRUN) $39.00

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012