Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking to play a game.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > GM/Players Registry
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Tinman
Hello.

I'm pretty much a new player, both to Shadowrun and pen & paper games in general. I'm trying to find a game going on not too far from the Frederick Maryland area as I have problems getting out of a lot of obligations with school and work.

I'm interested both in playing a game and building up experience with the system and maybe even getting my feet wet GM'ing. As I've only played one game in my life, people with a modicum of patience would be *greatly* appreciated.

I hope I can hear from someone, I'm going crazy thinking up situations and characters I can't do anything with.
Sren
I live in Glen Burnie, about an hour form you. But so far, almost everyone I've found on dumpshock has stopped communicating with me before we actually meet. But if you're not too picky, and you don't mind driving to glen burnie (or know someplace in between you and me that we could play) we could get together. I might be able to drag a coworker in, and maybe tempt one of the dumpshockers who started ignoring me into meeting...

I'm not a great GM, but I can introduce you to the game. I know the magic and combat systems pretty well. On the rare occasion that I GM a game, I tend to let the characters get powerful, but thats not normally much of a problem...

The only idea I have for a game right now starts out with the characters being normal Joe Schmoes in the process of getting forced into the shadows. I plan on allowing some cinematic advancement to let the characters become decent runners after a couple games of intro, but there's still the downside of the characters being railroaded a little at the beginning (i.e. things beyond their control forcing them from their "normal" lives into the shadows).

Anyways, if you haven't already decided you don't want to talk to me, post here or email (tbryant10@hotmail.com) me and we can try to meet. The local game store will have a spare table most Sunday afternoons (the store closes at 6pm on sundays).

As for going crazy with character ideas, I'm up for discussing character ideas if you'd like someone to talk to...

Later (hopefully)
S'Ren
Aku
could oyu give me an idea where either of these area's are in relationship to somerset, PA? i've HEARD fo Fredrick, but if i remember correctly it's in the DC area, in which case, well, thats aways away for me.
Tinman
I just checked Mapquest, because I have a terrible sense of direction. But it looks like I'm about a 2 1/2 hour trip south-east down 70 away from you in Somerset. Hope that helps some.
Aku
ouch yea... thanks, but i think it's safe to assume i'm out, thats a bit of a drive for someone unemployed to drive for a game heh//
PBTHHHHT
Hmmm... Tinman, you're in luck. My friends and I are wanting to restart an srun campaign soon, especially around spring/summer. The main place where we play is around Germantown, MD. That's less than 20 miles depending on the roads you use to get there. I can run it by the guy whose place we usually game at since he's a bit particular about people but it's a good place to game.

Hey Sren, so you want to gm...? hmmm...
ok you two, email me. vallaugh@yahoo biggrin.gif
Tinman
Bam, e-mail sent. I've already gotten in contact with Sren, so it'd be cool if we could all have a game together. If that doesn't work out, well... there isn't any reason I couldn't play two games at once. biggrin.gif
Sren
The more the merrier... just need to get a time and place to meet.
PBTHHHHT
k, still waiting for the email... hmm... I wonder if yahoo is acting up or something. I still haven't seen it and it's 1 am. hmmm...
Anyway, I've been contacted by one more who lives in gaithersburg.
So that's you two, him and me so far. That's four.

My friend mentioned he can volunteer his place (in Germantown) as long as he's merely a player, but only once every two weeks on Saturdays from noon till 8. He doesn't have much time outside of that, he just recently gotten promoted to a management position at some engineering place so he's been swamped with work.

That's five. Then there's one more guy who've I played over the years too, he knows his srun rules and his magic stuff. So that's 6. I think we have a full group. Well, that and there's not much room we can fit at my friend's gaming table. nyahnyah.gif
Tinman
So, is there a plan to meet up this Saturday? Just checking in case I missed out on an e-mail or something.
Sren
Anyone have a suggestion better than meeting at games, comics and stuff? Its a little late to plan on meeting on Saturday, but sunday afternoon is good for me.

EDIT: www.gamescomicsstuff.com
pwolf66
There's zero chance of me being able to make it any where NEAR Glen Burnie. It's just too far to commit to on a regular basis. I was hoping that it would be in the Gaithersburg/Germantown area and there's a nice store near here that might be good to meet: www.other-realms.com

Let me know. I'm very interested in getting back into SR but I don't have 10 hours to commit to it on Saturdays (8 hours plus 2 hours travel), just not there.

Later
Tinman
Well, I'm going to try to make it over to games, comics, and stuff tomorrow in the mid-afternoon (3 pm or so) just to see if I can meet up with whoever can make it there. Maybe I'll see some of you guys there, if not we can just discuss the planning over e-mail or something. cyber.gif
Tinman
Other-realms sounds like a good place to meet for me if it's no problem with anyone else. I'm fine with Gaithersburg or Glen Burnie, or anything in between for that matter.
crimson ronin
me and a friend would like to join id go to glen burnie or other realms id prfer other realms since the have lots of room and i know where it is
PBTHHHHT
Sorry I hadn't replied for a bit. Well, my friend is out, mainly because he'd prefer to game on Saturdays and I think some of you had mentioned the preference for Sunday gaming. As for myself, I'm also a bit hesitant to commit to gaming on Sundays. Plus, I'd be available only for every other week.

This weekend I'm out because I probably have to go into work and catch up on deadlines. Dang, now I just remembered I promised to help a coworker move into his apartment for next weekend. Argh!!! mad.gif
Sren
Sorry I haven't kept up this week. I'll do better in the future. Since no one has a definite plan, lets here votes for this: since I don't recall who said they didn't want to play on Sat., how does Sat evenings, around 6pm, sound? I'll drive down to otherrealms next weekend. I'll try to be there early.

I was probably the one who said Sat. evenings were bad because the Glen Burnie store is overcrowded with CCG players on Saturday...

Anyways, I might have to work tomorrow, so I need to stay nearby. I'm always subject to unscheduled overtime, but in the last two years, I've only had to work late on a Saturday once, but there are big changes going on at work, and I need to be around if there's a problem.

Anyways, let me know if Sat evenings at six pm a otherrealms is good, lets see some agreement or better ideas.

If I GM, which seems likely unless someone else would like to do it, I plan on having the characters start out as average joes, and become experienced runners over the course of the first and second adventure. I promise a cenematic level of advancement over the first few adventures, and I'll try not to railroad you guys into my plot schemes after the first couple nights (the first adventure or two will be the characters' entrance into the SINless life, and gaining a contact...)

I'm an inexperienced GM, but the only way to learn is to keep trying.

Hope to hear from you all soon, but for now, its time for bed.
S'Ren
crimson ronin
average joes get hired by johnsons? if i play ill try to make an average joe up
Tinman
Next Saturday in Other Realms at 6. Gotcha. Will I need to bring some cash to help pay for a table? I'm pretty new at this so I'm not sure about the SOP with the tables. Anyway, seeya then.
Sren
Good question Tinman. Anyone who has been to otherrealms have an answer?
crimson ronin
yea i got yer answer i got an inside man at other realms(rob kaminsky) actually friday is gameday there but i am sure i can get us a table no charge other realms has thier own message boards also may want to check them out
crimson ronin
everyone who wants to meet for whomevers sr game be advised that on the 26th there happens to already be a sr event planned there so why dont we all enjoy the event and play someone elses game later? we can all exchange info with each other at the game!
Tinman
That's not a bad idea. I couldn't find anything on the event calender for the store about what time it's happening though. Is it an all day thing?

It probably would be good to pick a time when we can all meet. I can get out of work around 3:00, so getting together anytime after that would be good. I think the store is open until 12:00 AM though so that should give us a bit of leeway.

Here's hoping we can pull something off. cyber.gif

::edit:: Whoops, forgot we already agreed to meet at 6:00. Silly me. ::edit::
crimson ronin
unfortunately the guy running the one game 2 part event has premade characters ick!! ill probably play anyways his games are 11am-3pm then 4pm-8pm hope they dont suck!
Sren
I'll try to be there for the early game, but no promises (early Sat is vulnerable to oversleeping and unscheduled overtime...) and I'll stay after trying to find you guys. If he has room for all of us, cool, if not, I'll try to have something ready for my attempt at a campaign.

Here's the info for my game, I guess we'll try to start the first Sat in March... (if I can get enough people to stay after meeting me...) Just a note, March 19th I'll be occupied in the evening and might not make it to other-realms (D&D Mini tournament in Glen Burnie).

Character creation:

Who
Each of the characters has led a blessed life. Each has had the best opportunities made available to them; good education, good job opportunities, good home life, everything. Starting a couple months ago, however, that all changed. Family members ran away, or were killed. The characters were unexpectedly fired from jobs they performed well at. They were accused of crimes, and the people they used as alibis lied. They’ve been mugged or threatened repeatedly and unable to get help from the authorities. Homes burned down. Been arrested for crimes they didn’t commit and been abused by the police. They’ve been otherwise completely abused, trashed and seemingly hated by everyone around them.

Each character has been herded to Seattle. Their SINs either erased or set as criminal SINs. They have little cash left, and have been attacked or threatened nearly every time they try to rent a room to stay for the night.

What
The characters will be made using the character point system from the Shadowrun Companion with the following modifications:
-Each character will be made with only 90 points
-There is no cost for character race (standard races only)
-Cost for aspected magicians and adepts is 0 points (no voodoo please)
-Cost for full magician is 5 points (no voodoo please)
-Aspected magicians get 45 spell points, full magicians get 35 spell points
-Characters can buy attributes to 7 and skills to 8 (remember, skill ratings above the related attribute cost double)
-Characters may not have any edges or flaws worth more than 2 points
-Each character has the sensitive system flaw, and gains no additional points for it
-Each character can purchase Delta-grade cyber for normal price (characters should be unaware of the upgrade).
-Use the following table for starting resources, keep in mind that the characters cannot start with more than they can carry with them on the streets and possibly a stolen vehicle:
30 points: 2,200,000 Nuyen
25 points: 1,650,000 Nuyen
20 points: 1,100,000 Nuyen
15 points: 825,000 Nuyen
10 points: 480,000 Nuyen
05 points: 165,000 Nuyen
00 points: 55,000 Nuyen
-5 points: 11,000 Nuyen

When
The IC time will be fall (rainy season?) five years before dunkie’s death…

Where
Um… starts downtown Seattle, the characters are running from unknown enemies (and maybe some known ones too).

Why
IC: because you don’t seem to have many options.
OOC: because we want to play SRIII!!!

More notes: Any suggestions/questions, feel free to email me or discuss them here. For players who don't want to play magical characters, you can have latent magic discovered during play, OR we can discuss other character options via email. The reason for the unusual chargen system is that the characters are special, but don't know why, and its related to magic.
PBTHHHHT
Hey Sren, I sent character to ya. take a look, make comments, etc... But, I really tried making a joe schmoe who just happens to have things happen to him. that means, I'm starting him with no pistol, stealth, etc... skills. His biggest skill is knowledge skills like civil engineering... I wonder how long this guy will last in the shadows? nyahnyah.gif
Tinman
Cool Sren, I'll get you some stuff as soon as I'm able.

::off topic:: Wow, you wouldn't happen to be an engineering major yourself would you PBT? Cause if you were, that would be quite a weird coincidence. Especially if you went to Purdue. smile.gif
PBTHHHHT
Yes, but chemical engineering, and no, I went to Georgia Tech. That would have been a weird coincidence, but nope.
And dagnabit!!! when people say Tech around here, I keep thinking it as Georgia 'Tech', and not this upstart wannabe engineering school that is Virginia Tech. ohplease.gif

edit: no offense to anybody that goes/went to Virginia Tech. Honest! biggrin.gif
Sren
PBTHHHHT, all I got in your email was a one paragraph description... was that supposed to have an attachment with character details, or is the concept all you wanted me to look at?

Concept does look good, but there's not much to have a real opinion on...

Anyways, how's next week @6pm looking to everyone? Can everyone be there earlier without risking their jobs/personal lives?

I'll be listening... wink.gif

S'Ren
PBTHHHHT
DOH! I forgot to attach the word document with all the character stats and equipment. Hehe. oops. Ok, I'll just cut and paste it into another email to you. that way I can't possibly forget. silly.gif
pwolf66
Sounds interesting but the problem I have is two fold. The regular group that I play with (mainly BTech and D&D altho I'm a bit burnt on D&D) plays on Saturdays. And I have network maintenance on the 2nd saturday of each month altho this month looks pretty light so I might not have to participate. But on a good note, I AM getting tired of D&D and am looking forward to playing SR again. I will be genning up a character this week and have every intention of being there this Sat.

Several questions:

1) You mentioned no flaw/edge more than 2 points. Is that PER flaw/edge or total?
2) Delta at base price? Or you can purchase Delta at the x10 price?
3) Availabilty limit? Standard 8 or is it higher?
4) How does bio affect Magic rating? Last time I played, Cultured did not reduce Magic rating but you might feel differently about it.

later
Sren
1) No more than 2 points (plus or minus) per edge/flaw (within reason).
2) Base price. The character should be unaware of the upgrade unless he has skills/knowledges that allow him to investigate such things (and its really hard to investigate your own implants after they're implanted).
3) Equipment. Anything within reason; no more than you can carry on you or don't mind leaving in a stolen vehicle. (for gear, time frame may be important; five years before dunkie's death)
4) By the rules, bioware affects magic rating, I haven't decided it I want to house rule it. Let me think about it (I believe the errata on the site sugests using fractional penalties for both cyber and bio so you don't automatically lose two points of magic for having a little piece of each).

Remember, the character has lived a charmed life until recently. Now (s)he's living on the street, running from what seems like every freak with a gun or spell. Credstick purchases lead to being found, every time he uses his real name to get an appartment or hotel room, something happens. Everyone important to him has died or betrayed him. His running has led him to Seattle, it's cold and raining, and there's a stuffershack close by that should offer shelter from the rain, and a quick bite to eat.
pwolf66
Oh, I'm all over that 'hung out to dry' aspect smile.gif

Never realized how few 90 points are until I tried to create a character with that.
Where DO all those points go???? smile.gif

Are you allowing cultered bioware to start? And you do realize that with the sensitive system flaw and Delta that the essence loss is a wash? Just wanted to point that out. Is there a particular reason that you're trying to 'encourage' meta-humans?

later
Sren
The characters don't have to start "hung out to dry" as the flaw, they still get their two free contacts, and can buy more if they wish, but they should all be street or criminal contacts.

Yes, I'm aware that sensitive system and delta grade works out to no net change as far as the characters are concerned, and it was intentional.

Yes you can start with bioware.

Another note, all characters will start with a karma pool of three, and humans will gain karma pool at the metahuman rate (there is an in-character, and rules-based, reason for this, it is not a house rule).

And 90 points should be a lot considering free aspected magic (and 5-point full magic) and free race. The SR companion suggests creating 100 point characters, so only a mundane human gets less with the char-gen for this campaign.

Also note that characters could get skills and attributes higher than normal to start (if anyone has it, I'm using the rules for creating advanced characters from Mr. J's little black book, except for a lot les starting points).

Hopefully I'm a good enough GM to make the reasons for the unusual starting conditions fun for everyone.

Later
Terry (a.k.a. S'Ren)
pwolf66
Terry et al.

Enjoyed it last night. Had fun. look forward to getting together in the fuiture.

Paul
PBTHHHHT
oh shoot. I just realized I probably won't make it this weekend. St. Patty's day celebrations, I'll be going to Shamrock fest... needless to say I don't think I can drive back from there to the store... not legally.
pwolf66
Can't make it tomorrow night (12 March). Gotta work.

Paul
Sren
Well, one player isn't normally enough unless Tinman has something he'd like to spend some time on just for his character, then I'm calling off the game for the 12th...

Anyways, I look forward to our next game, hopefully a late start next week won't diminish our fun.

Still haven't gotten any email or posts here with gear requests, but I uess 10,000 isn't very much. But please feel free to post or email any questions you have.

See you all next week.
Terry
Tinman
No problem at all. I have lots of work to catch up on anyway. My girlfriend is coming back from a trip next weekend though, so unless she wants to game with us (I doubt it) I probably won't be able to make it next week either. See you guys later.
Sren
Hi guys,

As I already mentioned, I'll be late this Saturday. I'll be playing in a DnD tournament here in Glen Burnie (same tournament will be goin at other realms, so it'll be crowded till its over anyways, should end by 6 pm, and it'll take about an hour for me to get there). They stay open late though, so there shuold be plenty of time to go through a plot, even with the late start.

Tinman already said he wouldn't likely be there, are the other two going to be there?

Has anyone thought about what they want to buy for their characters? Any suggestions for group-acquasitions? Any questions about karma spending?

See y'all soon
Terry
crimson ronin
im on call right now id like to play but you havent got back to me about my character idea yet! i left you a message on here
Sren
Crimson,

What is your character idea? The only one I was emailed about was for PBTHHHHT. Um... I can't think of anything I missed in the chargen I posted, so just follow those guidlines, and we'll deal with any issues on game night.

I'll try to get to my email Friday night if you want me to look at your character, but can't promise I'll have time after work or before we meet Saturday night. My emai lis tbryant10(at)hotmail.com

Same for your friend, if he's still interested, two more players will work out nicely.

For an answer to a previous question about bioware (answered for that player, but I don't believe I posted it, so if its relevant to your character...), any cultured bioware you start with CAN be considered to be something you were born with; part of an experiment maybe...

Hope to see you there.
S'Ren
crimson ronin
the message i left was a private message on this forum but ill email you
Sren
Am I the only one still interested? If so, please tell me so I don't have to drive an hour to sit alone and stare at a wall for a couple hours waiting for imaginary people.
Tinman
Heya Sren, just got back from taking my girlfriend back to her place. I'd still be interested in going back to the game if that's still possible. Did everyone else drop out already?
PBTHHHHT
Ack, sorry. Had a few weekends back to back that had me out of the loop. Sister's bday celebrations and then it was church (someone I knew was getting baptized that evening. The memorable part of the evening was when this lady wearing a shawl and holding a candle had her shawl caught on fire. I was the quickest and put it out but the darn shawl was made of $%@^# nylon/polyester, so the melted material stuck and burned my hand. A memorable Easter weekend lemme tell ya.)
Tinman
Wow, I can honestly say that has to be the best baptism story I've ever heard. biggrin.gif

Hope your hand is alright though.
Sren
Hope you weren't burned too bad PBTHHHHT...
PBTHHHHT
Just blisters from second degree burns. Nothing third degree thank goodness
Tinman
Soooo... I know I plan on showing up this weekend. Is anyone else going to be there too? And Sren, have I missed anything big while I was gone?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012