Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To B&E or not to B&E
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
tisoz
Just putting out the word a couple of ways for you to get the gang together. Start any preliminary legwork or get into the flow of your character. (Also stall while I get the requested changes from DrJest.)

Turn off sigs in IC thread. I like to bold names to make them easy to find when I have to go back through the thread to keep from contradicting myself later. Might bold places if it seems important. If you want thoughts, or subvocal communication, or actions to be highlighted in some way, let's decide on it. I usually italicize thoughts.

I'm going to do all the rolling that I can. A couple of reasons. One to hopefully speed things up (perception and surprise rolls), and two because it seems like I see some astoundingly successful rolls when they are needed. wink.gif Feel free to remind me of modifiers and number of dice. If you roll and your character has some failures, it will help make me trust you. I won't be using my lucky dice but the dice roller from the NSRCG. I thought it gave some suck @$$ results, until I did an alaysis of about a hundred rolls and verified it gives average results. (Part of the reason I found it hard to believe the guy that always got enough successes to accomplish what he was trying. Without re-rolls even.) Hope this doesn't cause a mutiny. If I wanted to cheat, there are more insidious ways to do it.

Are we ready for some fun?
Drain Brain
That the sort of thing you're looking for, Boss?

Didn't want to start doing any groundwork until the others were online, as it were, but I thought we might try and find out who wants us, and who they work for before we go to the meet... can't hurt.

And by the way - don't interrupt me while I'm watching the "Odd Coven" - it's my favourite show! wink.gif (Only kidding).

Note: "S. and S." is, of course, "Sands" written oddly - which is the name on his fake ID (you'd all know this if we are familiar) and the basis for the handle "Sandman" (which he doesn't use except when actively "working").
Drain Brain
Sphynx, I bow to you for that post! I laughed my ass off - probably because I know people like that in real life...

Hey, I am like that in real life! No fair...
kevyn668
I'm ready for some fun!

Hey Boss, do you want mechanics here or in spoiler tags?

If here, Etiquette (Street): 3 (5) for getting dirt from Mike. If not, I'll move it to a spoiler.

Syphnx, I have to say that was probably one of the best intro's I've read since I started playing around here. Good job! smile.gif

Just for the record, I wasn't trying to snub anyone when Sloan called Sands instead of someone that doesn't know about the meet yet. I was just trying to be realistic about not knowing who knew and who didn't. Besides, he's the mage. smile.gif

Maybe we should consider some sort of normal "meet protocal"?

kevyn668
Hey, I just thought of something. Does anyone have a car??

Edit: If not, can we get Seymore's mom to drive us? biggrin.gif
tisoz
Excellent!

With such a great start, I think demanding a sample post is going to be standard. I like the direction we're moving. Sphynx, take a point of karma for a post that demonstrates the PCs character so well.

I don't plan on having every team member get an outside contact. Thus far everyone but DrJ's character is getting into play. Since it may not have been clear he was in, it would probably be a good idea for someone to contact him.

From the posts, looks like you have about 15 hours +/- to round everybody up and do any preliminary legwork.

I'd just as soon not have spoiler tags in the IC, so post that stuff here.
Drain Brain
COOL! I've never been "The Mage" before! w00t!

And I have a car too... a dodgy old americar, yes, but it's got Photovoltaic paint and morphing plates (couldn't afford the transponder library though). Should get us where we're going...
DrJest
I have Westwind (just the basic model, not the turbo)
Sphynx
I think my mom has a car, I'll have to ask her for the key though. Have I mentioned that I'm a Rigger? I could drive.... Will you let me drive? nyahnyah.gif Heh, seriously though, Mom never lets me drive her car, I actually take the tram to work, you believe that? The embarresment, a Rigger having to take the Tram to work. But anyways, at least it's saved me from having to deal with the Liscensing Bureau. I hear they're a pain in the ass, I don't look forward to getting a driver's liscense, and don't envy those that had to go through the experience I tell you.

Anyhows, I was talking to some people online, and let me tell you something, when I'm online, I'm as bad-ass as you get. I may take crap in RL, but Online, I got ballz. They don't know me, so if they get in my face I will cuss them out, and leave a virus on their icon. Bet me money.... If that elf would have tried that trick on a forum, my next post would have been to tell him just how much of an asshole he is, and how his mother must have dropped him one too many times as a kid. (someone told me that once, and it's become my personal favorite line)
Sphynx
QUOTE (Drain Brain)
Sphynx, I bow to you for that post! I laughed my ass off - probably because I know people like that in real life...

Hey, I am like that in real life! No fair...

Yeah, idn't it great? Finally a thread that I can post without having to roleplay on. Just me thyself, and waalaah, everyone's happy. Now to convince people in reallife to accept me for who I am, eh? nyahnyah.gif
tisoz
I love it. Roleplaying that is something beyond the macho posturing/strong, silent badass/angst ridden shadowrunner stuff.

Drain, DrJ, Sphynx have a point of karma. (That's 2 for Sphynx you other slackers. wink.gif) Too bad you couldn't work that OoC post into the IC thread, it seems to fit Butts.

Hey, if you forget to turn off your signature for the IC thread, you can go back and edit the post and turn it off. It worked for me. smile.gif

Got to get back to rping Mike, after all, he is laughing it up over something.
Drain Brain
Cool, thanks...

I just thought, though... if you are going to give Karma as a running thing (excuse the pun), what are your rules for utilisation? ie, once Sphynx has amassed 20 or so posts (and therefore 20 Karma, since he's a badass writer), can he pop them onto his sheet in the form of skills, or do we wait for downtime, training, that sort of thing?

Just wondered...

P.S: thought I'd shake up the format a little... wink.gif
tisoz
You can apply the karma immediately. Tell me and I'll update my copy of your sheet.

[edit] Yeah, I was thinking about doing a haiku if I couldn't come up with some alliteration. I was surprised you responded to the initial post in kind. Just figured it would be a character quirk to help define the NPC. I hope I can maintain it. [/edit]
tisoz
Btw, I rolled your Etiquette to see how much info he would give you. If you want to buy info, offer cash and specific questions. Hopefully, we won't need to have a translation OoC.

Ditto for Mikes info and rolling etiquette.
Drain Brain
Questions asked, cash offered. Nobody said I had to be forthcoming with my cash offer though... wink.gif

Also, now that I've had Nathan enter the bar, he'll extend his spell defense to cover the rest of the team too. As a note (just in case it ever comes up), Sands i sparanoid enough to always keep it active on himself, unless otherwise specified...
tisoz
Drain Brain, I thought you were humoring Pimlico by doing the alliteration and poetry stuff, it is by no means required to communicate that way to him. that's just the way he responds (it is slowing me down trying to figure out what info to give, then having to find enough words that start the same to dole it out.)

You're only encouraging Sphynx! He is cracking me up. Maybe I've been up to late. I think the rhymes deserve a point of karma, and I'd feel bad about giving Sphynx another point unless majority approves. (All 5 of you can vote, and Sphynx can have veto power if he doesn't think he deserves it.)

I'll let you guys decide what to do with the elves at the other table. I think it would be great if the guys at the bar come over and take the rest of their chairs. nyahnyah.gif

[edit] Darn, thought DrJest was describing his character coming over and grabbing another chair from the elves.

DrJest, if you look at your post, you can see wher you got the / on the wrong side of the i near the beginning of the post.[/edit]

[another edit] Drain Brain and Sphynx get a point of karma.[/another edit]
Drain Brain
LMAO!

Just so you know, any "complaint" about thinking up the rhymes is entirely in character! I think it's a wonderful gimmick, not to mention good mental exercise!

And I'm trying to encourage Sphynx! I think he deserves all the karma he can get - it might even end up turning him into a real badass!
Tashio
LOL I think this game gone totaly different dirrection to what everyone expected but think its gonna be lots of fun. Nothing wrong with extra karma floating around. I'm gonna have to work hard here smile.gif

Very brief synopsis of Thyrian. He's the epitome of "COOL", of course he applies it in his own way. He's deeply religious.. just what he believes in no-one knows.. and he probably knows even less.
DrJest
Yeah, spotted the italics cockup.

Uh - just to be sure - Thyrian, did you just swipe another chair from those elves? Cos, this may turn ugly... :/
tisoz
How ugly can elves get? Then again, you should outnumber them by one 'cause Seymour already had a chair.

And how was Thyrian to know people before him took their chairs?
DrJest
Oh he wasn't. Just getting ready for the inevitable confrontation smile.gif
Tashio
All their fault! Its always the elfs fault! They just made the mistake of sitting next to Seymore. Everyone wants to sit next to Seymore. And besides its not "THEIR" chair to start with. smile.gif
Sphynx
Uh... me veto Karma awarded to me.... yeah, that'll happen. nyahnyah.gif
tisoz
No false modesty.
Sphynx
Hope nobody objects to my having the elves walk away, thought it might be best to not detract from the game by picking a fight with mundies. nyahnyah.gif (Not to mention I was afraid someone would have me get into a fight).

Sadly though, there was just no room for my regular post comment of:
Seymour just didn't know what he would do. nyahnyah.gif

PS: I'm never vetoing my chance at karma. nyahnyah.gif I'm going to be the best vehicle rigger ever, in ALL vehicles, I just have to learn to operate them one at a time. wink.gif
Drain Brain
So is that one or two for me, now? Just so I can keep track you understand... wink.gif We've just started, and already plans of grandieu hatch in my little mind...
kevyn668
Etiquette roll again. smile.gif

You guys were busy. Guess I'll start posting from wrok again.

Edit: I vote "yay" for Seymour's KP. I think when this is all said and done we should make a list of just Seymour's posts. They're funny enough to stand alone.
Drain Brain
Page two already... maybe we're addicted... cool.gif
tisoz
I didn't want to break up the continuity. Mike doesn't know himself but said he'd try to find out from other bartenders.
kevyn668
Cool. I didn't want to wait to post. smile.gif
DrJest
Because I know it's not in the dictionaries, and because I know you'll look if I don't tell you - Cenosilicophobia is a junk hash-word that means "fear of empty glasses". Ceno's Anonymous would therefore be a kind of inverted Alcoholics Anonymous smile.gif
tisoz
I thought Sphynx was having the elves return... for a second.

DrJest, you got 2 successes, want to reroll?

And anyone else wanting to do some legwork prior to the meet needs to get on it or let me know when they plan on doing it. As much fun as we had, I'm ready to move along - or witness some roleplay. I don't want the pace to get bogged down.
DrJest
2... yeah, okay, I figure karma should refresh by "tomorrow".
kevyn668
I'm still waiting for Mike to get back to me about the other crew. If that's a dead end I'll probably need some further info before I can make any other calls.
DrJest
If/when Oracle gets back to me, that will probably constitute my pre-meet legwork as well, no sense tying this up.
Drain Brain
Don't know how I ended up double-posting... sorry about that.

Only at the talismonger's (ostensibly) to arrange for a couple of fetishes I need (and yes, I'm a pratt and forgot to buy them at Chargen, although I could easily afford them... don't say it or you'll get the stinkeye...) but it might prove effective if I ask her about the name too - just on the offchance...

DB
tisoz
kevyn668, Mike won't be able to learn anything until at least morning.

Drain Brain, talismonger is closed for the night. Then again the fetishes have not come into play yet so you may add them if you want. Sure you want to ask someone with little probability of having any answer and risk incurring wrong party knowledge?
DrJest
Paying Oracle - I don't know what your game's scale of renumeration is, so for a little background colour:

As a Buddy, Oracle and I work on a basis of trust. I slot my stick in a random ATM and they deduct a fair price.
tisoz
That is sort of why I left the price up to you.
How helpful was the information?
What is the contact's time and expertise worth?
What would a run have paid to find out that information?
If you don't pay enough, are you going to keep the contact happy, or even as a contact?
If you want him to inform on another runner/perhaps contact, how cheaply do you want him to sell you out?
Drain Brain
Fair enough, boss...

Wap off 550 yen from your copy of my sheet and we'll call that even for one healing and one detection fetish... wink.gif Ta very everso...

As for pushing her for info, if there's no need for me to be there, I'll not even bother asking her about Willy...
tisoz
DrJest can have a point of karma, damn it that re-roll turned out fantastic.
DrJest
Dammit, I was never any good at this... okay, let's call it 500 nuyen. Sounds like it was mostly decker gossip and some scouring of message boards. I hope...
tisoz
Cool, your contacts will sell you out for 500. devil.gif
DrJest
hey, that's two weeks rent where I live nyahnyah.gif

Besides, I'd hope that as a Buddy Oracle would take more persuading to sell me out smile.gif
Drain Brain
Heh, I'd sell you out for a tenner, bud...

But then, I'm cheap... wink.gif
DrJest
DB, you took two months to put a smoke extractor in the Osiris' ready room so I could smoke during briefings. I already know you're cheap nyahnyah.gif
tisoz
Let's finish up the night prior to the meet and plan on going to the meet (or walking away) for Monday, since everyone cannot be available to play over the weekend.

I get the feeling the more you analyze and surmise, the more elaborate the plot you will devise.

[edit] Did not even notice that analyze, surmise, devise until I reread it. Damn you Pimlico Wilson!
DrJest
And this is bad because..? rotfl.gif

Okay, let's roll on home smile.gif
tisoz
Just a reminder to turn off your signature in th IC thread. Can edit post to remove it.
Drain Brain
There... a curry and bed and I'll be ready for anything... including a midday meet...

And Doc-J - how dare you?!? Not once did I refuse you smoking in my office... and not installing an extractor allowed me to get the all-important passive intake.

After all, as a confirmed alcoholic, it simply wouldn't do to smoke as well.

And then there was addiction to the "look, it makes me psychic" drug... all in all, a bad idea...

But at least You never had to ask me for a light... devil.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012