Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hardware fund donation drive - Opinions.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Dumpshock News, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, & Discussion
Neuron Basher

We are currently considering a donation drive to purchase a new server for Dumpshock.com. The server that all of the Dumpshock sites are currently running on is having performance issues that cannot easily be solved without adding additional hardware.

That's where this post comes in. I want to gauge the interest in a donation drive to raise money for this purpose. I estimate that it is going to cost in the neighborhood of $1300 to purchase a system with enough headroom that we won't have to think about another drive like this for a long time -- to be perfectly honest, I hate doing these.

For the curious, that works out to around a 3GHz processor, 2GB of RAM, and 2 x 200GB IDE Hard drives in a 1U chassis.

Thoughts?

Nikoli
I wouldn't mind kicking 10 bucks if it means my favorite site stays up and running longer with less problems.
Drain Brain
Likewise, although methodology might be in question - Do I have to find my damn chequebook? And then post it to the US? That's a lot of work, omae... specially since I try to avoid ever leaving the house... wink.gif
Nikoli
I'd recomend 2 options:
a pay-pal set up where we can donate
or and address where we can mail a check with a business name to make the check out to.
Neuron Basher
The way we've done it in the past is primarily through Paypal. There have been a couple of people that have sent checks, but we try to avoid that when at all possible.
Adam
While we're taken personal checks for donations in the past, the majority of donations are through PayPal now.
Nikoli
Well, I'd rather you guys get all the money rather than give palpal a cut.
FrostyNSO
I'll go either way, but it's easier to hide from the wife if I make out a check nyahnyah.gif j/k

"You donated to what!?"

Haha, let's rock =)
spudman
NB,

Re-send me your snail mail addy and I'll get you some ${bling}. biggrin.gif
Backgammon
1300$ Canadian, right? I'll be up for another 30$.
Neuron Basher
The $1300 is along the lines of an estimate at this point -- that's roughly what I found pre-configured systems in the ballpark I'm looking for specification wise. I'll do some analysis and see how much I can save buying parts and assembling like I did for the current server. Oh, and it's in US dollars ... the Canadian ones don't spend too well in Virginia. smile.gif

I'm just trying to get an idea of how many people would be willing to help out before I spend the time. I'll probably take a little time tonight to come up with some more firm details at least.
nezumi
Ooh! I'm a CS guy in MD. If you need an extra set of hands, I'd be happy to go over and eat your food!
Kanada Ten
Obviously I'm interested in making a donation. Though, I had considered it more of a "buy yourself a nice dinner" than hardware related.
Tanka
Donating to help with new servers for sites that give us so much (even if you don't really give us much physically) is always a good thing.

If I have money leftover from tomorrow's paycheck, you can count me in. nyahnyah.gif
bit_buckethead
Put up the Paypal address and I'll chip in some cash. I also see if I can collect some funds from my gaming group.
Pthgar
Well, I can send some money through Pay Pal. I'll just skip the HeroClix for a few weeks and cut down on my comics (snif... it smells like... NERD in here!).

You probably don't want to say, but what amount would it not be worth your while for us to send. I was thinking of like around $20.00 but if that's too small I might be ale to get my group to pitch in. Heck, I'd spend at least that much on a sourcebook as decent as DS.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012