Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Net Sourcebooks
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Kenshi
Just wondering if anybody is working on new netbooks like the NAGEE. It seems like things have been quiet on the "Fan-created" front. If I'm wrong, by all means correct me.
Kanada Ten
Beyond Ancient History's site, the fan-front has been more or less quite. Too bad that Arcology Mapping Project never took off. Then again, Dumpshock has thousands of posts that combined would create several netbooks.
Pthgar
A good reason to donate some cash to the DS Server Upgrade Drive.
mattness pl
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Feb 22 2005, 03:14 AM)
Beyond Ancient History's site, the fan-front has been more or less quite.

One of main reason's of our site is to create S-book about Poland.
We've got author of Poland chapter (Shadows of Europe) among us grinbig.gif
audun
At some point there will be "the Helix" a wrap-up of all the lost ideas from SoE. Actually writing some material right now that may end up there.
mattness pl
Well - we've got plenty new ideas. The main problem is how to put them into cannon (project exists since august.)
Chibu
QUOTE (mattness pl @ Feb 26 2005, 05:34 PM)
Well - we've got plenty new ideas. The main problem is how to put them into cannon (project exists since august.)

Well, if everyone agrees to a certain set of rules, those basically become canon.

So, if you write expanded info about locations for example, and FanPro don't ever mention anything, i'd call it canon.

btw i want latin america >_<

Oh, and on a different note, i'm updating the Adept Handybook, pdf form, sota:2064 rules.
Fortune
QUOTE (Chibu)
Well, if everyone agrees to a certain set of rules, those basically become canon.

No, house rules are house rules, no matter how many people agree with them. Canon is the official rules as published.

As to your re-issuing the Adept Handybook (even in an upgraded format) ... Do you have the original author's permission to re-publish his material? If not, you are setting yourself up for a lawsuit.
Chibu
QUOTE (Fortune)
As to your re-issuing the Adept Handybook (even in an upgraded format) ... Do you have the original author's permission to re-publish his material? If not, you are setting yourself up for a lawsuit.

He hasn't responded either way yet. But, either way, I want an updated copy for myself, so, i'm going to cointinue work on it, and then i'll let you know how it turns out.
mattness pl
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Chibu @ Mar 4 2005, 11:17 AM)

No, house rules are house rules, no matter how many people agree with them. Canon is the official rules as published.

And as far I Know - if we publish our ideas in the net(for example - on Dumpshock forum), FanPro will not put them into canon. Is that true?
Anybody saw net based ideas which became canon?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (mattness pl)
And as far I Know - if we publish our ideas in the net(for example - on Dumpshock forum), FanPro will not put them into canon. Is that true?
Anybody saw net based ideas which became canon?

I dunno... quite a few of the powers in SOTA:2064 seemed very familiar. Gliding, for example, was in the Adept Handybook for a while, and the power that negates impact armor showed up as Steel Fingers. In general, I don't think these ideas go from "netbook" to "canon", but are simply matters of parallel development, but who in the heck knows?
Synner
Matt has it right. Material that is published on the web normally isn't usually allowed into published books. This was one of the reasons the EuroSB was developed in a closed group (becoming SoE), and why the AdeptSB crew also restricted access (becoming part of SOTA64 even though it meant "rebooting" all the work done beforehand due to compatibility issues).

That being said some material finds its way in nonetheless, normally in heavily altered form - iirc an "alpha"-version of the advanced Lifestyle rules in SSG was available waaaay back and my complete RCC notes were leaked and posted by someone for a while (until I caught up with them) before SoE ever came out.
mattness pl
I wish I would wrong. frown.gif
Synner - maybe you'll answer not me, but us - what should someone should do to?

If we had some ideas about, in our particular example - Poland after SoE (2065 and later). What we should do, to be sure, that our work will not be different from canon?

I cannot told my fellows from Poland:
"Hey - I spread the word about our ideas on DS forum. They said it's rather cool, but you know. FanPro will make it other way, than yours plans"
hermit
You could always try and contact FanPro about your work, maybe you could get them to print it nonetheless ...
mattness pl
Hermit - I'm not so naive. When we started we think is there a chance to publish it.
Our guess= 5%.
That's why my only dream is to fit into canon. To not waste few good ideas invented by Poles for Poland.
hermit
That's why my only dream is to fit into canon. To not waste few good ideas invented by Poles for Poland.

My sympathies, and my best wishes. I still have a half-rewritten Germany SB on my HD somewhere ... the canon Germany book sucks ass, in my most humble opinion.
Synner
Right now, it's highly unlikely FanPro US will be revisiting Poland (or Europe for that matter) for any significant location updates in the near future.

That being said, look for the Polish situation to continue evolving (see SOTA64) over the next few releases (Loose Alliances and SoA iirc) as events elsewhere impact the status quo of the Polish Civil War.
Prospero
QUOTE (audun)
At some point there will be "the Helix" a wrap-up of all the lost ideas from SoE. Actually writing some material right now that may end up there.

Would that be for EuroSB people only, just for stuff that was left out, or for anyone who has ideas about Europe? I'm working on a Hungary setting (taking ideas from the Hungary sourcebook and SoE adding my own observations from having lived there) for my own personal amusement or whatever, but if possible when I get it done, I'd love to be able to actually post it somewhere.
Demonseed Elite
Matt has it right. Material that is published on the web normally isn't usually allowed into published books. This was one of the reasons the EuroSB was developed in a closed group (becoming SoE), and why the AdeptSB crew also restricted access (becoming part of SOTA64 even though it meant "rebooting" all the work done beforehand due to compatibility issues).

That being said some material finds its way in nonetheless, normally in heavily altered form - iirc an "alpha"-version of the advanced Lifestyle rules in SSG was available waaaay back and my complete RCC notes were leaked and posted by someone for a while (until I caught up with them) before SoE ever came out.

That's mostly true, but it shouldn't really scare people off from putting ideas on the web. For instance, a lot of things that I've had published by FASA/FanPro had roots in scattered ideas of mine that were on the web (otaku rules, Overwatch, Tibet, etc.). Granted, most of those things changed heavily between when they were on the web and when they appeared in print. Not because anyone told me they had to, but because my ideas evolve. wink.gif
Synner
The Helix - The concept is an open-content site, building on the material that was left out of SoE, especifically detail stuff that complements the sourcebook but still makes it essential reading. Things like city descriptions, specific locations, major npcs, corps, groups and organizations and even a "run bank". The project would be opened-ended and allow submissions (and possibly even shadowtalk) from anyone who wishes to add their 0.2Y - the only prerequisites being that material has to be fully compatible with SoE and Euro-canon and the writer has to be willing to accept edits by the "Helix sysops".

Anyone will be free to submit under those conditions and contribute to the big picture in the spirit of the original EuroSB crew.

Right now we're stalled though, waiting for my schedule to clear up and looking for a new graphics artist since Otaku Mike is currently swamped.
Prospero
Cool. Thanks for the info. I'm stalled at the moment, too, since I'm working on my M.A. thesis, which is taking all my time/energy. It'll be at least May until things get going on this front. But I'm interested in Hungary, having lived there, and I doubt SR cannon will deal with it anytime soon. Plus, I think that SoE set up some interesting happenings in Hungary, both historically and currently. Anyway, thanks for the info and I'll wait with bated breath for The Helix to get going. lick.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012