Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Emerald City Nights
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Digital Heroin
Ok folks... this marks my triumphant return to come... er, Dumpshock.

Long story short, I am no longer letting shiftwork kick my ass, and I'm giving this game thing a go again.

Here's the rundown for what you can give to me (aka creation rules):

Priority System

Priority Builds

Priority Race Magic Atrribs Skills Resources
A - Full Mage/Adept 24 30 250,000
B - Aspected Mage 21 25 100,000
C T/E - 18 20 50,000
D D/O - 15 17 10,000
E H - 12 15 3,000

Build Points

• Start with 85 points;
• Race costs normal;
• Full Magic/Adepts cost 20BPs;
• Aspected Mages cost 15BPs;
• Attributes cost 2BP per point up to 4; 3BP each point thereafter;
• Skills bought as normal;
• Recources:

Resources BP Cost
250,000 20
100,000 15
50,000 10
10,000 5
3,000 0
500 -5

Regardless of System

• Full Mages start with 18 Spell Points;
• Aspected Magicians start with 25 Spell Points;
• No gear can have a starting Rating higher than 5;
• No gear can have an Avaliability higher than 5;
• No cultured bioware, standard cyberware;
• 'Ware will require appropriate contact;
• Starting cash is 1d6 x 100

Other

• Shapeshifters, Ghouls, Otaku and Variant Metahumans are allowed on a case by case basis;
• SURGE is either to be purchased though Edge/Flaw style balance, or through rolling (all rolls included with sheet);
• +/- 10 points for Edges/Flaws Maximum;
• No more than 3 points gap between Edge/Flaw point value;
• Aptitude will be allowed for combat applications, for special cases (ex. Character has no cyber/magic); and
• Hunted, Extra Enemy, and similar flaws are to include a name of the person (or organization) who is hunting/hating the character, and a reason behind this.
• Characters will have only 1 free contact, but in exchange will receive a Fixer (outlined below) free.

All character should include at least a 250 word background, and will receive a bonus of Karma for care put into it. No cookie cutters here. A generic run of the mill street sam with a 'tude may make the cut, but he'll lose out to the Kindergarten teacher who happens to run to avenge her sister's rape/murder.

Interesting background is also a way to get your character that item you're itching for, but is just beyond your reach.

Now for the teaser. Those of you who recognize the rules will know this is a street level game (which may elevate higher, over time). Teaser: Bip bip, hot run to Sector Five. That's right kiddies, your free fixer is a bike courrier dispatcher. His name's Hermes, an overweight ork who fronts new runners occassionally sends his messangers on a run that's delivery oriented. Your characters should know eachother, and may be employees of the company. If you intend to have them working there, consider it a Level 1 Day Job.

Bonus: Anyone who can name me my favorite SR sourcebook, and why, gets a suprise.
Tashio
I'll got some ideas for a street mage. Will toss him together and send him bit later.
Digital Heroin
Feel free to take some time, no deadline as of yet...
Bastard
Is it Mr Johnson's Little Black Book because it gave you the idea of this wonderful run?

Never ran a street level mission, but Ive always liked the idea because it sets your runners as character based more than stat based.

I will pm you my character idea.
Digital Heroin
Nope, there's a more selfish reason behind liking the book in question... the rules were MJLBB inspired, but the run's out of my head... well that and a conglomeration of media...
Glyph
I'm definitely interested. I have a general idea for an elven shamanic sorceress named Viper. I want to take some time to craft the full background on her, but I will try to get a general description to you soon.
Digital Heroin
So far we're looking at muscle, mojo x2 and a face... nice little mix going on...
Bastard
Can we use sum of 10?

If we are couriers, do we get a company bicycle?

Is it CC because then you can design kick ass weapons, that are for killing us?
Johnson
Well that has thrown my Troll mojo, out the window. So I am going try my hand at a Drone Rigger. Or even Go Go Ganger wanna be.
Digital Heroin
I'll have to look over Sum10 to see just how compatible with the low level rules it is, but I have a feeling it's not going to mesh well balance wise... as for the company bike, yeah, they'll give you a basic off the shelf sport model, I'll figure out what that entails...

Between drone rigger and wannabe go ganger, the go ganger fits a little better with the "green runner" theme, but either could work...
Digital Heroin
And nope, CC isn't the book... still not personal enough... biggrin.gif
Bastard
does the bike have streamers? and a basket on front?

sum of ten would give me 5 more skill points- i think, cant find the rules cause i usually use build points.

is it the matix book? because it gave you the idea for your name?
Digital Heroin
Err... they try to go for a more urban hip look... but if you want streamers and a basket, and your character's an overweight troll male who wears little girl's clothes.... meant for humans... well I'll be scared... nyahnyah.gif

As for the book, nope... though closer in a way...
Johnson
Now that I have generated the Character, now for the background... This is where I suck.
Johnson
Well where you want us to send it.
WinterRat1
Can i make a 'guess' at your favorite book Digital, even though I'm not submitting a character? biggrin.gif
Sedna
This will be a first for me, if you're willing, Digital Heroin -- attempting to create a PC specifically for an on-line run. I can probably have it to you by tomorrow. Do you have any specific holes or skills you want filled (beyond the Bicycle Courier concept)? or is there any type which would assist your intended plotline? I'll admit, I'm very partial to anything Awakened,but I can and have played anything at a pinch.

Oh, and I'll make a blind guess for either Target: N. America or Shadows of N. America?

Edit: what I'm loosely looking at is a variant of Kai, a former street kid (about half or so mongrel Native), who's still more than half-street in his outlook, who hasn't realised he's Awakened yet (appropriate, for someone Coyote-oriented), who's the kind of person who'd be absolutely wild on a bike (he likes pushing personal limits for their own sake, does the "Pacific Blue" kind of stuff regularly while delivering, and bikes and skateboards are his absolute favourites), except when he's doing something more delicate such as lockpicking (he's an underage fast-talking street thief with a bad rep and a "Who, me?" face). I think he'd be very good within this general concept, but I'm staying flexible to whatever alternatives you think might be more appropriate.
Nightcrawler472
Hmm, sounds fun...

If there's no definite deadline I'll see what I can come up with...probably a gun-slinger (damn spaghetti westerns), but I'm not entirely decided yet.

Edit:

Actually, thinking about it I might try and come up with a Jonny Mnemonic style courier with some hidden data locked in his skull (I was trying to figure out why a courier would end up as a shadowrunner the other day, I'll see what I can come up with)
Glyph
Viper is shaping up nicely. She's a green-haired, perky goth Snake shaman (sorceress) with extensive tattoos, who loves giving rivetgirls heartburn. Streetwise, decent mix of spells, not quite face level in social skills but she could be the emergency spare.

I have her stats done, but I will hold off until the background is done, because a lot of times I will change the stats as the background becomes more fleshed out. I've already changed her Edges and Flaws once already. Her background is coming along pretty smoothly, no writer's block so far, so I should (hopefully) have her done by this weekend, maybe even before.
Digital Heroin
To those who've PMed me, worry not, I'm just a little slow today, writing the first bits of the game, and the outlines for the intro missions...

Feel free to guess Winter, tho PMing a guess might be best, don't wanna tip the others, eh?

Sedna, I love the concept, a streetwise daredevil sounds like just the kind of person the game could use. The books, though, are not my favs... good reads, but nope.

Nightcrawler, the former memory courier sounds truly boss... of course it also gives me a tiny bit of an evil idea, so be scared nyahnyah.gif

Glyph, I like the sound of Viper already, and as always, feel free to take some time... dealine's not set yet, but I'm thinking Saturday tentatively, since I only work two days this weekend, then I'm off again for five...

And for all... I'm so tempted to say that Hermes does charter out longer range courier missions, ones done by motorycyle, but I'm not so sure yet.
Digital Heroin
(-deleted because Mozilla froze on me during posting, and then triple posted-)
Digital Heroin
(-deleted because Mozilla froze on me during posting, and then triple posted-)
Bastard
Johnson is coming along well too...havent got to the creative writing yet, but the numbers are pretty much done. Just need to know if I can use sum of 10. biggrin.gif

Is it:

Deeper Shadows

A locational book focusing on hidden little gems, urban or otherwise, the forgotten or forbidden locations of a world where the shadows are already quite deep.

A creation in the works by Digital Heroin himself?
Johnson
DH I need to remind you now before things get lively. I ma going on leave from th 19 March and returning to 29 March.

I have crunched the numbers, and PMed you my 250+ word of history.
Nightcrawler472
Well, sorry about the lack of posting recently, been attempting to haul my ass to college, which is hard when you don't get to sleep 'till 4am, and get up at 6:30am, which has resulted in several days of falling asleep almost as soon as I'm home..

Anyway, I'll have something worked out in a day or two, as I've now got to see my shrink...

...Gods I love my life nyahnyah.gif

Edit:

Well, having got out of my appointment I have some 5 hours of spare time, so I'm working on my character now. I was wondering though, are there any restrictions on things like cyberware other than the Avail. cap? It's just my concept has my character (currently known as Alexander Hanne) lightly cybered....he'll have two datajacks, headware memory & the memory lock thing (one datajack is exclusively for the headware memory, so he had another installed for Matrix surfing, etc.) and possibly a retractable cyper-spur as a backup weapon, just in case.
Digital Heroin
Bastard, Sum 10's gonna have to be a no, I'm not too familiar with it myself, but it's more of a balance issue in this instance. As for the book, nice try, but it's a published one, no fan or delusional books. biggrin.gif

Johnson, my biggest concern about this is that I wanted to start the game up, in the next week or so, with you being gone you'd be missing the preliminaries IC.

Nightcrawler, as long as it meets the requirements of avail, it's all good... of course non-standard's likely not going to meet that, but I may allow with a good backstory.

Alright folks, interest being up as it is, I may be facing the hard fact that I'll have to limit the players, to keep things reasonable to manage. I'm going to set a Saturday night deadline for first drafts of character with background. There'll be some time given to everyone to make last minute revisions after I announce the group, even after play commences, so don't fear.
Suicide King
A quick question, I've been bouncing a bunch of concepts around for the last couple of days and stuck on an idea... I want my character to have suffered some magic loss at the beginning of the game (drug abuse is not healthy for your soul).
How big a flaw would it be to have a magic rating of 5 instead of 6 at chargen? I'm thinking somehting like 2 pts, but I'd like to get you view.
Nightcrawler472
One other question, just so I can sort everything out chronologically...when's the game set?
Johnson
DH I will catch the next one round. As it looks like you are starting next week. I will only be back on the 29TH
Slipshade
Digital,

I sent you my character background via PM, but I don't know where to send the character sheet for you to look at.

oh, and please don't let it be Cal Free State.

Slip
Slipshade
I changed the format of the character sheet and PM'd it to you to go along with the background that I sent previously.

Slip
Bastard
Dig?
Digital Heroin
As I've got an evening shift to work, ya'll have a bit more time for those rough drafted characters before deadline. I've tried to adress everyone, and if I missed you, PM me and I'll slip you some spare time, but don't worry about details like bike stats and such right yet..... I skill need to figure them out, eh.
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (Nightcrawler472)
One other question, just so I can sort everything out chronologically...when's the game set?

Game's going to be set about this time of year, in 2064. I figure that makes things nice and easy ballpark wise.
Bastard
DH- on my character I have two questions:

1/for a knowledge skil, I have psycholoy/reading people, I wanted to use this as a skill when setting up meets, basically to know if someone is lying to us. Using there facial expressions, chosen words, and body language. Is that ok?

2/I changed one of my flaws to Police Record, but only as a -2 and not a -6, since my character is on parole for a white collar crime. biggrin.gif

Once you ok everything I will send you the numbers
Glyph
I have PMed you Viper's stats and background.
Digital Heroin
Alright folks, I'm just sorting through things now, getting together the runners for the game. It's going to be a long night of uber-multitasking for me, since I'm also typing edits for my semi-polished novel manuscript as well, but never fear.

I've tossed this out before, but I'm going to again. Aside from forum play, I have a line on a realtime chat system where I am going to be opening a Shadowrun room. The last one I opened died a slow death, but this time I've got a co-hostess who hopefully will cattleprod me if I let it go inactive. This game is going to be forum based, for all of the runs, but I'm also inviting players in this game, and anyone who applied, or anyone at all on dumpshock, to check it out. Hasn't been rebuilt yet, but I'll keep everyone apprised of it's status.
Digital Heroin
Here's the list of those in the game. I'm gonna give it a day for final sheets. If possible, PM a plaintext version to: digitalheroin@NIMLAS.org

(Sedna) Kai - Street Kid Psayd
(Thomas) Steve - Former Security Guard
(Bastard) Johnson - Former Mr. J
(Slipshade) Glide - Roller Courier
(Glyph) Viper - Goth Sorceress

There's one other possible at this point. If you don't see your name here, I'm afraid that's because I didn't get a sheet from you. Never fear, I will have games in the future.

IC: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=7784
OOC: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=7785
Slipshade
QUOTE (Bastard @ Mar 19 2005, 04:26 AM)
Dig?

Bastard,

I just think the Cal Free book was very poorly done. I have pretty much scraped it in the game that I run and take a different route.

Or were you refering to a different post?
Bastard
different post, but your opinion is noted. biggrin.gif hehe...I dont even have that book any more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012