Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4 Firearms
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Arethusa
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
We've used the P90 for years and have had nothing but good (except reloading is a bit wierd). As far as comparison to the MP5, it's at least it's equal, if not better. Against body armour, the P90 has the edge.

The 5.7 has in my opinion outperformed your standard 9mm pistol accross the board. While it'll never be obsolete, it's hayday is over.

Yeah, but how many people make a habit of assaulting your power plant? Or are you talking abouthaving used the P90 in combat elsewhere?

The P90 obviously is among the best SMGs to take against opponents wearing armor, but when you can take a rifle (and M733 would not be much larger than a P90), why bother?

[edit]

QUOTE (Vuron)
I'm not sure it's entirely realistic to expect that the 5.7 ammo type becomes the norm or even extremely popular in the future.

Considering how bad it is as a general purpose round and FNH's staunch monopoly of its use, I think we can pretty much guarantee that it will never become a standard or even extremely popular. Well known, yes. Popular in its niche, yes. Relatively successful, sure. But I can't see it ever rising to any degree of prominance.
Austere Emancipator
Re: Lethality of PDW-calibers, I have to admit I just can't see how the 5.7x28mm FMJs could possibly have a better terminal effect on an unarmored human body than even a 9x19mm FMJ. It's a tiny little pointy bullet traveling at low rifle velocity, and so the wound cavity is equally tiny. Certainly such rounds are better at penetrating armor, and we'll just have to see if or how advances in body armor technology (such as viable full-body armor if shear-thickening fluids or similar technologies break though) affect the field.

One thing's for certain: The FN 5-7 is just about the last handgun I'd want to be stuck with if facing angry trolls.
Arethusa
That's about how I feel. Especially on the last point.
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Yeah, but how many people make a habit of assaulting your power plant? Or are you talking abouthaving used the P90 in combat elsewhere?

...elsewhere prior

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
One thing's for certain: The FN 5-7 is just about the last handgun I'd want to be stuck with if facing angry trolls.

Pity you no matter what handgun you're stuck with...where'd I put my damn AR?
Vuron
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
We've used the P90 for years and have had nothing but good (except reloading is a bit wierd). As far as comparison to the MP5, it's at least it's equal, if not better. Against body armour, the P90 has the edge.

The 5.7 has in my opinion outperformed your standard 9mm pistol accross the board. While it'll never be obsolete, it's hayday is over.

Until the P90 is utilized widescale I'm kinda dubious about it's long term performance capabilities. While the 5.7 certainly outperforms the standard 9 x 19mm cartridge in many ways there is more than a few reasons for sticking with the older cartridge. While the 5.7 has impressive rates of fire and armor penetration there is some doubts as to it's stopping power. If you have to unload all 20 rounds to stop a determine attacker it's use as an assault weapon becomes slightly dubious.

Considering the MP5 could easily be upgraded to a heavier cartridge like the .40SW or the .45ACP or even adapted to use a improved 9mm PBP cartridge.
Arethusa
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
QUOTE (Arethusa)

...elsewhere prior

Why would you use a P90 over, say, an M733 or Tavor Micro or SG552 or AKS-74U or any other comparably sized assault rifle?
Vuron
Hell there is absolutely no reason I can see why the P90 would somehow operate outside of it's designated niche of PDW. Other than increased ammo capacity it really has nothing that makes it more useful than M4 carbine for compact assault missions.

Same thing with the 4.6 x 30mm HK ammo until it's proven in battle I'm not sure people are going to trust thier lives to it.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Raygun)
Well, I hate to say it guys, but I think any requests we make at this point are pretty much going to land in a big fat pile of too late. I'm pretty sure they're set on what's going where and doing what within the 4th Edition system. At this point we can only hope that some of the writers have listened to us bitch and moan (I know at least a few with some influence couldn't possibly have avoided it!) about what we don't like and have taken some steps to do something about the more rediculous things, while at the same time keeping it all as simple as possible.

I'm well aware that my own rules are a bit too intense for most players, and honestly, I wouldn't want the majority of the things I've done showing up in canon, if for no other reason that it would likely turn a lot of potential players off (what's with all this gun crap?). But there are a few very simple things, particularly those that Critias mentioned, that there's really no reason not to bring more in line with how things are out here in the real world.

Anyway, if they've taken any of my advice over the years and plan to put it into effect now, it'll be as much of a suprise to me as it is to you guys.

I dunno that it would necessarily turn people off. Firearm realism in varying degrees seems to have had something of a following in mainstream video games such as Ghost Recon or Soldier of Fortune II. I think that if people had the opportunity to take their favorite calibers and go for deadly headshots it would be adding a realm of gameplay that is lacking in d20 where you have a billion hitpoints and there is effectively no such thing as a high level character being dropped by a decisive .38 slug to the brain.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Since we're on the subject, out of the best called shot systems you've seen, what have you found to be too cumbersome/unplayable/etc?

I'll address the two Raygun has now, as they're at hand and I'm exhausted; I'll try to dig out some old books for examples of bad rules in otherwise sane systems tomorrow (I may subject you to Fringeworthy's version too, just to kill your brain).

Raygun's Basic: nothing terribly exciting except the fact that it doesn't make sense; as written, someone with twenty-four successes could hit someone in the arm when they're going for a lethal non-called shot. You could add in something about successes being usable for weighting towards a certain hit location, but it adds complexity and I don't see the point.

Andy's Advanced: first off, it starts with the assumption that you aren't aiming at the general torso region. Second, way the hell too many locations; does the ankle really need to be separate from the foot? If it does, why is the knee not separate from the upper leg? Rereading it I take back some of the vitriol, as he has actually addressed the first problem I saw (if the damage code wasn't dropped for a limb shot but the maximum damage was, there would be cases where due to the Power increase for successes past those to stage to max damage level it would be harder to soak a limb shot than a body shot); nonetheless, I'm not sure it's defensible to drop the damage code on limb shots, as even if they aren't fatal it seems to me that they'd debilitate quite well. Also his rules for shields is out of left field. Again, it adds nothing but questions and complexity, plus there's still the problem of a non-called shot with twenty-four successes, only now it can potentially do a max of Serious.

More tomorrow on stuff that I've got hanging around.

~J
Arethusa
Heh. Don't think I've forgotten Fringeworthy already. Standing and Ability to Deal With Aliens are the best attributes ever.

I don't disagree with the issues you bring up with Andy's system, but the unnecessary detail is fairly easy to deal with. In fact, I did it while I was working on the Canon Revision (link at the start of this thread) project last year. Fewer dice rolled and a far simpler table, but roughly similar concept. Keeping it sanely playable was always a very big concern of mine, and I think I kept it in check. Or would you consider that still too much for maintaining playability?
Kagetenshi
I'll admit that in my sleep-fogged state your final version of the hit location rules aren't making themselves immediately obvious; I'll look again and comment after I have the good sleeps.

~J
Arethusa
They're not. They never really hit a final version because I never got around to finishing the project (aforementioned lack of interest, lack of time, lack of group to play with, etc). The concept should be there, though, and I recall there being enough to get an idea of what it'd look like in practice. If not, I'll writ eup something tomorrow. I'd better sleep, myself.
Raygun
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Mar 19 2005, 02:56 AM)
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
QUOTE (Arethusa)

...elsewhere prior

Why would you use a P90 over, say, an M733 or Tavor Micro or SG552 or AKS-74U or any other comparably sized assault rifle?

Because it came with the ninja costume?

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
I dunno that it would necessarily turn people off.  Firearm realism in varying degrees seems to have had something of a following in mainstream video games such as Ghost Recon or Soldier of Fortune II.  I think that if people had the opportunity to take their favorite calibers and go for deadly headshots it would be adding a realm of gameplay that is lacking in d20 where you have a billion hitpoints and there is effectively no such thing as a high level character being dropped by a decisive .38 slug to the brain.

Well, judging by the level of resistance I've met headlong in this very forum over the years, I would say that there are likely to be more against it than for it. If you try to make things more realistic (and as a consequence, more deadly), if the rules aren't considered too complex, you tend to get the word "munchkin" pissed into your ear incessantly. I honestly don't feel that the level of complexity that my rules bring to the game is necessary for everyone. It's something that's nice for people who are particularly interested in those kinds of things to have available, but it's definitely not necessary.

On the other hand, there are a few relatively small things (damage codes, autofire rules, etc...) that could be changed for the good of the game that are likely to be transparent to the majority of players who don't pay much attention to the kinds of things those of us posting here tend to.

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Raygun's Basic: nothing terribly exciting except the fact that it doesn't make sense; as written, someone with twenty-four successes could hit someone in the arm when they're going for a lethal non-called shot.

Jeez. I just can't do anything right can I? I go for simple, it's too simple. I go for realistic, it's too complex. I guess the best thing to do would be go on with the best possible way of handling this kind of thing: all-or-nothing body armor rules.

*picks up the Abstract 2x4 of Retribution and chants* Pie lesu domine, dona eis requiem...
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Raygun)

WTF?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Raygun)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Raygun's Basic: nothing terribly exciting except the fact that it doesn't make sense; as written, someone with twenty-four successes could hit someone in the arm when they're going for a lethal non-called shot.

Jeez. I just can't do anything right can I? I go for simple, it's too simple. I go for realistic, it's too complex. I guess the best thing to do would be go on with the best possible way of handling this kind of thing: all-or-nothing body armor rules.

For the record, I don't think the flaws in the hit location system are your fault, I just don't think it can be done well. Feel free to prove me wrong if you ever have the motivation and inspiration to do so, though smile.gif

~J
Raygun
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
QUOTE (Raygun @ Mar 21 2005, 10:38 PM)

WTF?

Well, I wish there was a better way to talk myself out of this, but I think I'll just go with the truth. I was implying that you appear to me to be what's known as a "forum ninja".

In other words, when you talk about your exceptionally combat-filled life experiences in service with a military foreign to the country whose nuclear reactors you say you are now paid to secure (a slightly frightening proposition, as you do appear to spend a lot of that time posting here), I'm finding it rather difficult to suspend disbelief anymore.

Please excuse me for being skeptical. Some of my interests tend to run me into that type of person on occasion. Some are the real deal, but the vast majority are mostly (if not completely) full of shit. After a while, one gets cynical. I very well could be wrong, but at this point I would appreciate some evidence. More details? Pictures, perhaps?

Hopefully you understand. Full apologies upon satisfaction.

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
For the record, I don't think the flaws in the hit location system are your fault, I just don't think it can be done well. Feel free to prove me wrong if you ever have the motivation and inspiration to do so, though smile.gif

I'm not real sure that it would be worth the effort, considering a primary objective of proving you wrong, anyway. You seem to be pretty dead-set against the idea.

Aside from the twenty-four success attack, what's wrong with the idea of a shot to the arm being lethal? While it wouldn't be quite as common of an occurrence as the rule suggests (rolling 2D6 does have its issues), it certainly has happened before and will certainly happen again. If a brachial artery get severed, an awful lot of that red stuff that's supposed to be on the inside will end up on the outside right quick.

In my experience, the rule works pretty darn well for being as simple as it is.
Kagetenshi
My big problem with it isn't armshots being lethal, but that someone can take a godlike shot aimed center-of-mass and still hit the arm. If you assume that the character is just aiming for some vulnerable place and specifically chose the arm, it seems to me that you pull the whole thing back to the abstract and there isn't much point.

There's absolutely no reason to do anything with it just to prove me wrong. I am fairly dead-set against it, but I like to think that that's entrenched in reason rather than orneriness (whether that's accurate or not may be another matter), and that I would alter my position if presented with a good system. We apparently differ on what exactly that is, though, not that we have any need of being in agreement.

~J
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
My big problem with it isn't armshots being lethal, but that someone can take a godlike shot aimed center-of-mass and still hit the arm.

The way I explain that problem away in most combat situations is this: Face a mirror at 10', pick up a toy gun, take aim at the middle of your chest (midway up the sternum) in the mirror and tell me what the odds would be for you to hit your arms. If it's less than 1/4, you're doing something wrong. If you're in a Weaver stance with side forward it's going to be closer to 1/3, same if you have a long arm and don't tend to expose the chicken wing. It's quite possible that most of the middle of your chest is in fact covered by your arms.

It gets a bit trickier if the target has his arms hanging on the sides when you're firing at him from the front. In situations where the target or anyone else could not possibly react to the shot, I have often just ignored the hit location roll on very good hits -- and situations like that tend to produce very good hits.
Fortune
His point is that, even taking all that into account, and achieving an astounding number of successes to hit exactly where he wanted, it is still possible to hit in the arm or other place not where he aimed.

Personally, as I have said before, I don't see the need for either hit location systems or called shots in Shadowrun. A decent number of successes means you have achieved a hit right where you want, while a limited number could mean you have missed where you are aiming and just 'winged' your target.
Kagetenshi
Again, that makes sense just fine for a lot of shots, but I still don't see it for a twenty-two success shot (or a twelve-success, or even an eight-success (enough to deal deadly damage with a small knife and then some)). Moreover, what happens for a ten-round autofire action? Do all ten rounds impact the arm on a hit? A quick scan of the Rules page on Raygun's site doesn't unveil any rules for partial hits from autofire, though I thought he had some, but the question is, while less serious, still applicable for two rounds. Does one roll separately for each round? Then can a burst with a lot of successes (by all accounts very accurate) still hit arm-head-opposite leg? Or leg-head-same leg?

Edit: yeah, Fortune pretty much sums my take up.

~J
Critias
In CP:2020's hit location (as it applies to bursts/autofire), a fairly common house rule is to roll hit location for the first shot. From that point on, roll a d3. On a 1, you subtract 1 from the previous hit's location, on a 2 you count it as the same spot, on a 3 you add 1 to the previous hit's location. This tends to end up with most of a long burst hitting the same spot, and when a burst doesn't, the fire is fairly slowly "walked" from area to area (the way I'm assume fire sometimes does).

Okay. So, I lied. That's not a fairly common house rule, and I actually just made it up. But the simple fact is it took me thirty seconds to do so, and I think something like it would work.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Fortune)
His point is that, even taking all that into account, and achieving an astounding number of successes to hit exactly where he wanted, it is still possible to hit in the arm or other place not where he aimed.

Well, that sort of thing really requires the 24+ successes to be a problem. IRL, in a combat situation, nobody can suddenly shift their point of aim 0.8" left because the target's arms just moved a bit, that sort of thing just doesn't happen. IRL, you point the gun at center-mass, or center of the chest, or in same rare cases the head, and you just hope what you see is what you get. When head-shots are out of the question (and they nearly always are, especially in combat situations), you just have to live with the possibility that you hit the target in the arms.

Of course in those situations the bullet might just penetrate the arms and continue on to the torso. But as long as that sort of thing isn't modeled in any first-person shooters, I'm fine with not simulating it in a pen & paper RPG.
Fortune
I just don't see the need in multi-success-based system like Shadowrun. More (net) successes = better shot is as complex as it needs to get.
Kagetenshi
IRL in a combat situation you'll be talking people with skills from 4 to 6 and a TN of absolute floor minimum 4. I'd still say that it is a problem at 8 successes, which, while outside of the reach of most real-life combatants, is well within the range of a sensewared, smartlinked samurai.

~J
Arethusa
QUOTE (Critias)
Okay. So, I lied. That's not a fairly common house rule, and I actually just made it up. But the simple fact is it took me thirty seconds to do so, and I think something like it would work.

Unfortunately, it wouldn't work, because you're rolling Xd3, where X is the number of rounds fired. Pretty damn cumbersome, and for a pretty damn cumbersome mechanic, not very precise, either. Personally, I favor breaking up autofire into bursts (perhaps even adjusted by reaction, as in Austere's rules, though that'd definitely be an advanced thing). Yes, you can't have less than three rounds hit an area, but as far as I found, there's no other way to handle it without drastically reconstructing ranged combat.

Well, that sort of thing really requires the 24+ successes to be a problem.

Honestly, I don't even see it as much of a problem there. When you shift to a location system, the paradigm that governs abstraction has to shift as well. 24 successes and still hitting the arm isn't a problem because that 24 success shot was still a snap shot in combat conditions— and a damn good one, but not one specifically targeted. That's what calling a shot to the torso or head is for.

Of course in those situations the bullet might just penetrate the arms and continue on to the torso. But as long as that sort of thing isn't modeled in any first-person shooters, I'm fine with not simulating it in a pen & paper RPG.

Actually, Day of Defeat, a Half-Life 1 mod, does this. Had to, because its asinine damage model had K98ks doing instant kills no matter where it hit and Garands doing 90 damage on arm hits, which just so happened to get in the way of the torso almost all the time.
Critias
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Unfortunately, it wouldn't work, because you're rolling Xd3, where X is the number of rounds fired. Pretty damn cumbersome, and for a pretty damn cumbersome mechanic, not very precise, either.

Have you ever played CP:2020? As written, you roll to hit. Then for each shot that hits, you roll a d10 for location. Then you roll damage for each shot, compare to their armor rating, apply damage, blah blah blah. All this would be doing is replacing the d10 for location with a d3 "location modifier" (+/- from the initial impact) for every shot that hits after the first. It's not that much more cumbersome, and would result in a grouping much like the "burst location" you're talking about.

And, I know, I know. I'm the only one talking about CP:2020. But that's the only game I play that has hit location rules and autofire all in the same sentence, so it's what I'm using to toss ideas around in my head of what could work. I don't think SR needs hit location, but I think it might be nice to have optional/advanced combat rules (hit location included) available.
Arethusa
I have not. That sounds incredibly cumbersome, and I guess I sit corrected.

That said, big fan of hit locations that I am, that system sounds horrendously clunky and unplayable. I still strongly believe hit locations are viable and very much disagree with Kage and co, but I think I understand where they're coming from a little better after reading that.
Critias
I wouldn't quite call it unplayable (since, well, I play it from time to time), but it is kinda slow if everyone is autofiring at everyone else. A quick shortcut is to roll all your hits at once (for location), so you can basically stop if any of them come up a headshot. What with them doing double damage (and the head generally being lightly armored, if at all) and all that, pretty much once anyone pings your noggin with anything capable of full auto fire, it's all over.

So it ends up being "I roll a single d10 for my attack attempt," "Woohoo, I hit him twelve times," "Whee, 12d10 for locations -- three headshots!" And then the GM cries a little bit as another NPC drops before a single statistic on the lovingly crafted character sheet comes into play.

But, well, it's a lethal game that way. wink.gif

I think Shadowrun has enough going on at once, as it is. In CP:2020 I can stomach hit location (and armor values varying by location, etc, etc) because raw physical combat is all that's likely to be happening at a given time.

You don't have to worry about magic screwing with things (as magic is wont to do, where do you figure a Manabolt hits someone?), you don't have soak rolls (just damage versus armor), you don't really have combat pool to spend (there's the luck attribute, but that's not really the same), there's no wonky Adept powers or all-encompasing Armor spells... Shadowrun has plenty on it's plate already, I think. A game that's meatworld revolves almost totally around shooting people can handle a hit location mechanic, because hit location is part of shooting people (and shooting people is the way to get things doen, 99% of the time, and the more graphic and specific and horrible the shooting is, the more fun the agme).

Shadowrun, though? It's busy. And with the Matrix-overlay hooplah just around the corner (which means the hacker/decker/whatever might be right there in the middle of it all far more often, mixing it up with everyone else and adding Matrix stuff in the middle of a firefight), there's even another dimension possibly coming. You could have a spirit/mage duel on the astral, a hacker/IC scuffle on the matrix-plane, and a bunch of adepts and sammies hosing down security guards -- all at once, all in the same combat round, all in the same room. Adding hit locations to all that? No thanks.

But, in the same vein, some Shadowrun games won't have all that (or at least some combats won't). It'd be nice to have the option of some hit location rules or something, some other advanced combat stuff, to use from time to time. When the gunbunnies really wanna shine, or when you wanna run a less complicated game, or whatnot. I can see a desire for hit location and extra realism, but I can understand why there isn't a need for it.

If that makes sense.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Critias)
where do you figure a Manabolt hits someone?

That's fairly easy, given that mana spells aren't affected by armor and are described as whole body effects anyway. You can pretty much leave most magic untouched. In the case of elemental spells, just run them as you normally would; my proposed hit location system had an abstract 'whole body' armor value as well (generated from armored locations) intended for use with explosions, elemental spells, melee, etc. Austere's does too, as I recall. Spells like Armor screw with things a bit more, but you can reconfigure those reasonably easily.

When you get into the amount of additional work needed for adding a streamlined hit location system, relative to the amount of work already in play, it isn't that much. When you consider a lot of the canon stuff in play can be cut out or reworked to be both more sensible and a lot faster (knockdown, anyone?), it's even more practicable.
FrostyNSO
Raygun:

You have a PM.
Critias
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
Raygun:

You have a PM.

Awww, where's the fun in that?
Arethusa
Balls to your fun, where the hell's the answer to my question?
DrJest
Things I like about Shadowrun's combat system: skill > big booms. Greg Gunslinger the pistoleer physad with pistols 6 and IA: pistols 4 is going to be putting .22 bullets in the eyes of bad guys while his mate Frank Faceman with Firearms 4 is unlikely to kill much of anything with his Ruger Super Warhawk without some luck.

Things I don't like about Shadowrun's combat system: irrational damage codes (and, incidentally, weapon weights and concealabilities, but those aren't technically part of the combat system). Love to see these cleaned up in SR4.

I actually started out liking the idea of a hit location system, and have been convinced that SR doesn't need one by Fortune & co. Because of SR's success-based damage, hit locations are actually not relevant, since they can be extrapolated from how well you roll. You rolled 12 successes on your attack? Congratulations, you just pegged that little nerve junction thingy that drops your target like a stone. You draw a bead on his head and roll 1 success? You putz, you twitched and winged him in the arm.

I wouldn't mind some clarification on shooting to wound - hosing a guy's legs to stop him getting away, for example - but realistically that can be adjudicated by a competent GM anyway, assuming you don't have an assnut running the game biggrin.gif

Demosthenes
QUOTE (Critias)
QUOTE (FrostyNSO @ Mar 22 2005, 04:59 AM)
Raygun:

You have a PM.

Awww, where's the fun in that?

Don't you have enough people to play with in the Sustaining Focus thread?
wink.gif

CP2020's combat system has its own issues as well - in that anyone with a moderate ability for rules-bending can render their character all but immune to damage from anything other than immense armour-smashing weapons that cannot be concealed.
But hey, it's cyberpunk...with the '80s hair and the leather jackets and the mirrorshades...
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Arethusa)
When you shift to a location system, the paradigm that governs abstraction has to shift as well. 24 successes and still hitting the arm isn't a problem because that 24 success shot was still a snap shot in combat conditions— and a damn good one, but not one specifically targeted. That's what calling a shot to the torso or head is for.

That's what I started thinking about as soon as I left the computer for university. That's the way I have rationalized it to myself before -- on un-called shots, # of successes simply ceases to be an indicator of shot placement. Thinking of it in this way, if pistol adepts with smartlink-2's can manage to shift their fire based on where the opponent is holding his arms, then that's because the adept called his shot(s).

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Personally, I favor breaking up autofire into bursts (perhaps even adjusted by reaction, as in Austere's rules, though that'd definitely be an advanced thing). Yes, you can't have less than three rounds hit an area, but as far as I found, there's no other way to handle it without drastically reconstructing ranged combat.

You probably know my autofire rules as well as I do by now, just thought I'd point out that burst size is really adjusted by # of initiative passes on the whole, and not the reaction or even # of actions of the character firing. This is only to cut down on the amount of whining from high-reaction players. I can understand that divisions are something most players want to keep out of combat, even if it's something as simple as 30, 40, 50 and 60 being divided by 2, 3 and 4 if at all, and then again either by 10 or to bursts of 3.

Bears keeping in mind that the hit location rules still aren't really saying that all of that one burst has to hit a single location. GMs can still describe the effects any way they want to.

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Actually, Day of Defeat, a Half-Life 1 mod, does this.

Really? Damn. I played that mod a lot, but I never realized it had that covered. I do remember the problems with Kar98k vs M1 Garand, but I didn't notice that aspect of it. Well, it's been a while; the only FPS I've played lately (AAOps) doesn't do this, it just picks up the first location you hit and uses that -- it actually used to do damage to the location where the bullet would exit the target, but that gave people firing from below too much of an advantage...

QUOTE (Arethusa)
my proposed hit location system had an abstract 'whole body' armor value as well (generated from armored locations) intended for use with explosions, elemental spells, melee, etc. Austere's does too, as I recall. Spells like Armor screw with things a bit more, but you can reconfigure those reasonably easily.

Yep, it does. I don't think the Armor spell screws with things, actually, since it applies uniformly to all attacks.

QUOTE (DrJest)
I actually started out liking the idea of a hit location system, and have been convinced that SR doesn't need one by Fortune & co. Because of SR's success-based damage, hit locations are actually not relevant, since they can be extrapolated from how well you roll.

And frankly, were there no body armor in the world, I'd agree. It's things like a vest with plates vs a sporting rifle or shotguns w/ slugs that are really hard to reasonably model without hit locations: Attacks where a hit in one location (the rigid plates) will cause no injury whatsoever, and might easily go unnoticed by the target in combat, while a hit to a limb (where you're very unlikely to aim by default in combat, even if you know your enemy is wearing body armor) might cause sudden and forceful amputation.

If someone is such an übershooter that he can call a shot just above or below the plates or even in the head then he can do just that, Call a Shot -- everything I know about ranged combat (which, I'm the first to admit, isn't all that much since I've never been in one, it's all hearsay) suggests to me that such "picking the spot" on the enemy doesn't happen except in extreme cases, which are covered by Calling a Shot, even when the shooters are World Class and beyond.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Balls to your fun, where the hell's the answer to my question?

Seriously, Frosty, I want to know.
FrostyNSO
Sorry, I think I missed your question.

Was it the "Why use a P90 over a Tavor Micro, etc, etc...?"
Arethusa
Yeah.
FrostyNSO
There are a lot of variables that need to be taken into account. What if there are hostages? What are the walls made of? If a round goes through a wall or door, what might it hit and what might be the consequences? Environmental concerns like that would certainly influence my decision.
You may need to conceal your weapon (seriously, the p90 is small, but so is the Tavor, though I havn't used it), you may need the higher capacity.
Maybe the Tavor isn't available to you?

A lot of it I'm sure goes with personal preferance. If your getting ready for an op and you have any weapon to choose from, you may just want to choose one that you're more familiar with, rather than one you havn't practiced with much. Hell, I like the location of the optical sights on the P90.

This is would be the same answer as if you had asked me why use any of those rather than say, an MP5.

I think the p90 is a great weapon. That said, I don't know if the 5.7 or 4.6 cartridge will survive to 2070, but I wouldn't be suprised if those cartridges or variants did. I could see a big market for PDW's in the world or SR. Niche weapons will always be around IMO, but then that's just my personal opinion and I could be dead-ass wrong.
Arethusa
I'm not saying there aren't little things the P90 does well. It's got high capacity, high rate of fire, and light recoil, and there really aren't any comparably sized weapons that can quite boast all that. But those aren't really primary concerns in combat, as I understand it. The weapon's lethality is dubious at best, its penetration in armor better than most pistol offerings (9x19mm PBP, I'm not so sure about; Russians sure don't seem to want anyone to know much about that stuff) but not really any better than any real rifle round. I just don't see the appeal.

If you can't get a Tavor, what about all the other compact assault rifle platforms (M733, SG552, HK53, etc)? You can't really base an argument for the P90 on not having anything else. Using whatever you have is the oldest maxim of conflict, but all things being reasonably equal, why the P90? Hell, all things being reasonably equal, it should be a bit harder to get than much else. FNH is pretty notorious about controlling their stuff, though, I guess that seems to be changing a little these days.

Still, that said, I just don't see what the P90 offers. It's small, but so are a lot of SMGs and compact carbines. It penetrates armor, but so do the compact carbines. It won't overpenetrate as much as those compact carbines, but neither will SMGs, and if you're worried about hostages that much , precise shooting with whatever you're using is necessary. On top of all of this, it's expensive and it's not terribly lethal. It may be ergonomic; I'm in position to comment there. What I just don't see is what it offers of any real significane in any real offensive capacity that isn't done better elsewhere.

That said, I do see a long running place for niche weapons, and I don't see the PDW concept disappearing— but I also don't see it really growing much, either. PDWs make very significant tradeoffs to achieve high penetration, high rate of fire, high capacity, low recoil, etc.
FrostyNSO
I'm not calling it the be all and end all of weapons. I probably won't convince you, but I nor anyone I know has run into any problems regarding terminal effect. Many pistols' terminal effect is dubious at best as far as I'm concerned.

Availability is often a big issue, esp. when on short notice, and yes, there are other options available. You choose the right weapon for the job, and sometimes, those you listed are not the right weapon. Yes, precise shooting is neccessary, but things happen. Why take the chance that a stray round does something you prefer it not to, especially if there is a weapon available to minimize that chance?

Like I said, I probably won't convince you. I was simply trying to say that I think these weapons will have a place in the future. Not a huge place, but a place nonetheless.

edit: It seems on the last part we are at least in agreement.
Kesh
One reason to favor an SMG/PDW over an assault rifle is that they don't penetrate quite so much. Less concern about a round going through a wall, door or other object and striking an unwanted (and potentially explosive/poisonous) target.

Compactness seems to be another consideration. It's easier to maneuver an SMG/PDW or carbine around a narrow staircase or sharp corner than a longer assault rifle.

Those may have already been brought up but I'm sleepy, so I'm rambling. wobble.gif
Raygun
Well, after talking to Frosty over PMs all yesterday (like I should have done in the first place) and with him treating me with nothing but respect after my outburst of bad attitude, I feel that I do owe him an apology. At this point, as far as I'm concerned, he's either the real thing or really full of shit! wink.gif

Sorry, Frosty.

Your status as Forum Ninja™ is hereby denied.

About the P90... David Fortier recently had a good article about it. He kind of sat on the fence about the terminal ballistics issues, but gave a good rundown on how the P90 works for some applications and doesn't for others. I think that's the kind of perspective that's missing from a lot of things I've read about the P90, but it is something that's been touched on here. A lot of people seem to compare the P90 to assault rifles more than they do to submachine guns or handguns, which is what the thing was designed to replace. I've certainly done a lot of that myself. Essentially, it's the very same argument people were having about the M1 Carbine after WWII. The P90 obviously lacks the terminal performance of a 5.56mm carbine.

But one thing I especially can't fathom, Frosty, is the idea of the subsonic 5.7x28mm load being more effective than a subsonic 9mm Para (from your PM). It's essentially a US M193 bullet moving at 950-1,050 fps. Now, I'm sure it depends greatly on what load you're comparing it to and what you're shooting with it, but some of the 147 grain JHP loads out there (like Winchester's Silvertip @ 1010 fps) should outperform it by a very handy margin, so long as body armor isn't involved. Even then, I can't imagine it performing much worse. There are .22 LR loads that come pretty close to those ballistics.

In other news, I thought you guys might be interested to know (if you didn't already) that Colt Defense bought Diemaco (Canadian C7/C8 rifle manufacturer) from Héroux-Devtek last month.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Kesh)
Compactness seems to be another consideration. It's easier to maneuver an SMG/PDW or carbine around a narrow staircase or sharp corner than a longer assault rifle.

The "M733 or Tavor Micro or SG552 or AKS-74U or any other comparably sized assault rifle" mentioned by Arethusa are carbines. Carbine = shortened assault rifle. The IMI Tavor Micro is 480mm (18.9") long in total, compared to the 500mm (19.7") FN P90, and fires a bullet twice as heavy just as fast or faster.

As far as penetration of walls and such goes, a 9x19mm FMJ may penetrate (some) building materials at very close ranges much better than a 5.56x45mm FMJ fired from an assault rifle, since bullets tend to fragment when hitting hard objects really fast, and at 2500+fps, everything is hard. I do not know how well the 5.7x28mm SS190 bullet stays together when it hits a wooden, brick or concrete wall at 2300fps, that might well be less likely to penetrate building materials than 5.56x45mm FMJs.

Interesting point: The SS190 fired from an FN P90 will only penetrate about 10" of standard 10% ordnance gelatin, which means "it is not an effective bullet for law enforcement use" according to the guidelines set by the FBI Firearms Training Unit.
Critias
Hopefully there's no hard feelings there, Raygun/FrostyNSO/any indignant third parties.

I hope Frosty just understands how many ninja trained ex-SEAL (who transferred over to the Navy 'cause they had to fake their death after a bunch of black ops missions as a Marine Force Recon sniper) kung fu master SWAT troopers come on line and hang out with all us RPG geeks. We get a little cynical after a while. wink.gif
Papadoc
Take a look at some of the video on this site to get an idea of the penetration of various rounds.

Box'O Truth
Austere Emancipator
The Search-function is your friend: The Box O' Truth, An interesting study in shot penetration
Although I notice they've added new stuff since then. The sand-test is a bit skewed because they use heavy sheetrock boxes packed with sand -- more loose sand in bags isn't going to stop bullets as well.

I think it's astonishing that people are only now realizing the problem of heavy clothing vs. hollowpoints. The shots through denim show why it's very important to test all defense handgung rounds on a denim-coated calibrated gelatin block such as has been done here. Check the tables for the 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP JHP and notice how poorly nearly all JHP rounds perform when fired through a denim block. Ammo manufacturers should be catching up to this soon; meanwhile, you might want to stay away from 155gr .40 S&W and 185gr .45 ACP Winchester Silvertips.
Vuron
So currently we really have no idea whether the 9 x 19mm PBP round is substantial improved over the base model or whether it's merely hype at the current time?

Further question has there been any quantitave comparisons of the chinese 5.8 x 42 mm assault rifle round?
DrJest
I think it's astonishing that people are only now realizing the problem of heavy clothing vs. hollowpoints

For those like me for whom most technical firearms stuff goes whizzing over our heads, can you sum up what the problem is in layman's terms?
Critias
Same as with flechettes in Shadowrun. Against someone not in appreciably thick clothing, hollowpoints'll fuck their world all up. Against anything heavy enough to provide an armor rating (a layer or two of good denim/leather/whatever, here, not just "real" kevlar-types of armor) they just...don't work as well as they should.

I'm sure one of the gunbunnies can explain it better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012