Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Living in the Shadows: IC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67
bclements
00:21:03 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - Luna Cafe, 2081C Harbor Ave, Everett, Seattle, UCAS

As if to punctuate her point, the waitress set Tony’s wedge of cheesecake down in front of him in all its 10 centimeter- tall, cinnamon-dusted and raspberry-drizzled glory. The waitress smiled as she left it, Tony’s earlier body cues and low whispering earlier maybe having given his opinion of the place.

“Ok, I was wrong about this,” he said in a low voice after taking a bite with a sip of strong dark coffee as a chaser, indicating the cheesecake with his fork. “Still, I don’t see you here: takeout probably, but actually sitting here?. Half these people are so indie-poser that it’s annoying me. A real artist like you must get annoyed every time you come in to get a latte and a slice of this stuff.” Tony said
grendel
00:21:47 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - Luna Cafe, 2081C Harbor Ave, Everett, Seattle, UCAS

Reign smiles, taking a bit of her dessert before answering.

"You can feel it can't you? Their lives of quiet desperation? How close they are to understanding what it is they search for?"

She pauses to sip thoughtfully from her tea.

"No, they don't annoy me."
bclements
00:22:08 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - Luna Cafe, 2081C Harbor Ave, Everett, Seattle, UCAS

You’re a better person than I he thought. The too-hip-for-their-own-good people around him weren’t any different than he used to be; just less comfortable in their own skin, maybe. Less comfortable? And climbing in a bottle is a sign of emotional stablity.

Sipping away the thought in a wash of espresso and cheesecake, he changed the subject. “At least I know why you dance so much now,” he said, smile evident in his eyes.
Scrapheap
13:08:22 Friday January 12, 2063; Ludmilla’s Workshop, Everett, Seattle, UCAS

Ludi had barely taken a sip of her steaming tea when the call connected, though the video display came up as "unavailable." The feed on the other end must have been disabled. After a short pause, Zeyda's increasingly familiar voice answered.

"Yes?"

The russian woman paused as she was about to speak, momentarily taken aback by the background noise on the line. There was some shuffling and a clink like a cup hitting a saucer. More faintly, a news program could be heard on the trid. It was strange. Every other time she'd met with Zeyda... hell, every time she'd even spoken to him over the comm, he'd been at Miner’s Landing. She'd almost begun to think he lived there. Hearing these common noises in the background had thrown her off.

"Hello?"
Mister Juan
13:08:29 Friday January 12, 2063; Ludmilla’s Workshop, Everett, Seattle, UCAS

Taken by surprise, Ludmilla actually took a few more seconds to double check the time. She had been, somehow, expecting him to be at his usual spot... but he apparently wasn't. She rapidly grew somewhat ashamed of disturbing the man, who was probably at home.

When Zeyda's voice echoed in her ear for the second time, she finally spoke something back.

"Dobrien dien. It is me. I am very sorry if I am bothering you in the middle of your lunch...".

Of course, she knew very well the fixer probably knew over a thousand different people... but Ludi's russian accent was always a dead giveaway. She launched into her next statement, not even waiting for the man to answer back.

"I won't hold you longer than I need... I need to see you."
grendel
00:22:31 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - Luna Cafe, 2081C Harbor Ave, Everett, Seattle, UCAS

Reign glanced sideways at Tony, her voice teasing.

"Calling me fat, are you? Better look to your own house, there, stonethrower. You could do with some more dancing."

Scrapheap
13:09:04 Friday January 12, 2063; Ludmilla’s Workshop, Everett, Seattle, UCAS

After a brief pause (while the fixer undoubtably checked his schedule) Zeyda replied, "Hmm? No, no disturbance at all. Let's say 20:00 at my usual table."
bclements
00:22:59 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - Luna Cafe, 2081C Harbor Ave, Everett, Seattle, UCAS

“Hey, you recommended this Arcology-sized dessert.” Tony said, grinning and teasing back. “And I wasn’t calling you fat either, Ms. Ego Crusher. I was mearly saying that, if one is going to eat such a monstrosity, one should have a way to exercise.” he said, finishing his espresso and leaving the cheesecake half-eaten.

“I do a kind of dance in the morning, but I would dance more like how you do if I had a teacher,” he added with a raised eyebrow in her direction.
Mister Juan
13:09:12 Friday January 12, 2063; Ludmilla’s Workshop, Everett, Seattle, UCAS

As she brought the steaming cup of tea to her lips, Ludmilla quickly pulled it back away.

"20 sounds good. I see you then. Dasvidania."

As she closed the line, she slowly brought the cup back to her mouth, stopping along the way so she could gently blow on it. Gently sipping on it, as to not burn herself, the woman closed her eyes to savour the slightly bitter aroma. For a few seconds, she rolled the tea around her mouth, letting it glide on tongue and down her throat.

When she opened her eyes back up, the tension that had previously settled in her muscles was now gone.

20 is late... I'll have just the time to make supper and run out... At least, she can have her clothes...

Absent mindedly, Ludi bit her lower lip. There was nothing she hated more than not being hope to put Lana to bed. Actually, there was something she hated more: Sascha.

For a few minutes, she spun the tea around in her cup, distant memories of home running in her mind, ringing in her ears and clouding her vision.

"This is some mighty good tea soldier!"
"There really is nothing else to do around here, sir..."
"Hell Private Soren, I know dozen of men who'd do anything to get this sort of posting. Quiet, close to home, warm..."
"Boring as hell... sir."

Setting her cup down on the counter, Ludmilla went back to work.

At least.... it's warm here....
grendel
00:24:05 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - Luna Cafe, 2081C Harbor Ave, Everett, Seattle, UCAS

"Only in the mornings? You should know that I only give lessons in the evenings. But if you're serious about working on your form, I think there might be something we can work out." Reign smiles half-playfully over her cup of chai.
Bastard
24:07:11 Thursday 11 January 2063 - The Last Drop, Auburn, Seattle, UCAS

Marquis sits in his Caddy, letting it warm up while he sips some coffee from his foam commuter cup. He normally wouldnt take food or drink along, but this time its needed. He convinces himself it wont be likely to spill if he can finish at least half before leaving.

While doing so, he makes a call to Karma.

"Where do you want to meet up?"
grendel
00:07:29 Friday 12 January 2063 - Outside The Last Drop, Auburn, Seattle, UCAS

"There's a Stuffer Shack down the road about a kilometer. I'll meet you there in five minutes, I'm still inside."

Karma's voice is flat and atonal over the electronic transmission, devoid of emotion. From his position in the parking lot, Marquis has a good view of the front door of the coffeeshop. As he watches, a pair of college students exit, coats buttoned up against the harsh midnight wind. Before the door can close, though, a dark form ducks out and around the corner.

"I'm on the way now."
bclements
00:24:45 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - Luna Cafe, 2081C Harbor Ave, Everett, Seattle, UCAS

“Not just in the mornings, no. But it does cure a hangover, among other things. Kinda like Tai Chi,” Tony drawled, acting as if he was weighing an offer.

“I’ll tell you what: I will gladly accept lessons when you can offer them. In return, I will give you lessons, when you accept them,” he said with a raised eyebrow.
grendel
00:25:03 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - Luna Cafe, 2081C Harbor Ave, Everett, Seattle, UCAS

"Give me lessons? And just what do you plan on giving me lessons about?"

Reign smiles, running her fingertips softly around the rim of her cup. The late hour was beginning to empty out the coffeeshop, more and more tables coming open around them. Outside, the weather continued to deteriorate, harsh westerly winds drawing a vicious curtain of snow across the metroplex.
bclements
00:25:47 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - Luna Cafe, 2081C Harbor Ave, Everett, Seattle, UCAS

“How to move, after a fashion. It’s not so dissimilar from what you would teach me. A little more practical in some situations, but it shouldn’t be hard for someone of your talent to pick up.” Tony said, accent drawing out the syllables.

“It’s getting bad out there," he said, hearing the gust of wind. The glass on the storefront seemed to give a bit at the strength of the gale. "I’ve been here awhile and I’ve never seen it like this. Would you like to go before we get snowed in here?” he said, smile pulling at the corner of his mouth.
grendel
00:26:14 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - Luna Cafe, 2081C Harbor Ave, Everett, Seattle, UCAS

Reign glances to the front windows of the cafe, measuring the ferocity of the winter weather. She takes one last sip of tea before nodding.

"Probably a wise idea."

Once again she curls into the passenger seat of Tony's sedan, formless beneath the dark shadow of her cloak.
bclements
00:27:02 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - Luna Cafe, 2081C Harbor Ave, Everett, Seattle, UCAS

“So, where to, my dear,” Tony said after wrenching the car door shut, smiling against the cold. Flurries of wind-whipped snow settled down in the car, stark white lint against the black pin-stripes of Tony’s coat and the crimson of Reign’s cloak. The wind continued to howl out and around the car.
Bastard
00:07:59 Friday 12 January 2063 - En route to the Stuffer Shack, Auburn, Seattle, UCAS

The gold Cadillac slowly rolls out of the parking lot, and makes the turn in the direction of the Shack. Marquis checks his mirrors a bit more than often, something just doesnt feel right. The car picks up speed as it heads down the street.

Pulling into the parking lot of the Stuffer Shack, Marq takes a few moments to get ready to exit. Again watching for anyone that he might have seen back around the Last Drop. He takes another drink from his coffee, this one a bit longer than the previous ones, now that it has cooled down a bit.

After no suspicious activity in the parking lot, he exits the car. He pats himself, in a manner as if to straighten his clothes, but the motion was actually to make sure his guns were covered. After this is done, he shuts the door and hits the alarm.
Mister Juan
19:45:12 Friday January 12, 2063; Miner’s Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Ludmilla stood, arms crossed over her chest, a lit cigarette dangling at the corner of her mouth. She had been fortunate enough to find a parking spot on the street. Not that it was particularly difficult… even if the snow was now almost all gone, especially in a nice and squeaky clean area like downtown Seattle, it still seemed to Ludi like most people were afraid to go out. Since she was a early the Russian had decided to light up a smoke before going in... as well a watch the place to make sure nothing was out of the ordinary.

Cigarette seemingly glued to her lower lip, she started picking at a little Band-Aid (covered in blue and pink balloons) around her left index; a little cut from chopping some potatoes too fast for dinner. The task of building the bugs was such a precise work that her hands felt tired, cramped, and kept trembling from time to time. Or maybe it was her still fresh wired reflexes acting up. She had heard numerous stories of people paralyzing because of cheap second hand ware…

Rumors... that just stupid... My stuff is top of the line

She sighed at her finger. Ludi felt terribly silly with a kid’s bandage around her finger. But Lana had insisted on patching her up. There was simply no way Ludmilla could refuse. A discreet smile came up to her face as she pulled a long drag on the cigarette. Lana was such a good kid. She would be a wonderful woman.

Time to face the music.

Throwing her cigarette next to the curb, Ludmilla reached for the motorcycle helmet that sat on the bike’s seat. She had bought the bike before Lana had been born… but had to switch to a car when it was obvious that carrying a child on a racing bike wasn’t the safest thing. Still, she brought the deep blue machine with her on almost every job. It was fast, easy to handle, and could squeeze in a lot of tight space. Parking was also much easier.

She jogged across the street, stopping in between lanes to let the late afternoon traffic pass.

“Why are you going out mommy?”
“I have to see some friends honey.”
“Are you going to read me a story?”
“I’m sorry baby… I’ll probably come back late. Zina can read you a story.”
“I want you to read me one! She doesn’t make all the voices like you do…”
“Tell you what, I’ll read you two stories tomorrow night!”
“Okay! I love you mommy!”
“Love you to baby.”
grendel
00:08:27 Friday 12 January 2063 - Stuffer Shack #717, Auburn, Seattle, UCAS

Karma lounges by the Slurpee machine, the dark gray parka she's wearing doing much to disguise her form and figure. She seems paler than earlier, her eyes dark and intense above pallid cheeks. Taking a sip from the styrofoam cup of coffee in her left hand, she makes no outward sign of recognition when Marquis enters. It's only when he's moved to within arms reach that she speaks, her voice casual.

"Seemed like a fairly normal meet in the end."
grendel
00:28:13 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - Luna Cafe, 2081C Harbor Ave, Everett, Seattle, UCAS

The lonely purple and white neon sign out front of the Luna Cafe illuminates a half-moon curve of Reign's face as she turns to glance at Tony. The dark crimson cowl of her cloak hides the other half of her face, and just for a moment something tickles at the back of Tony's mind, a dim and murky memory of a story Andie used to tell. The lush smile that curves across Reign's lips, though, and the fire dancing in her eyes, pushes aside any apprenhension he may have felt. Her voice, warm from the tea, is a throaty purr.

"Take me somewhere I can dance for you. Somewhere we can dance together."
bclements
00:28:37 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - Luna Cafe, 2081C Harbor Ave, Everett, Seattle, UCAS

“Know of anywhere close?” Tony said softly in the close space of the car , the half-remembered story forgotten from a face that he didn’t or couldn’t recall at the moment, not with a beautiful and not a little mysterious woman asking to dance.

“Or, we could always go to my place…” he said, not really wanting to take the time to drive back Downtown, but willing to if she asked. Willing to do most anything if she asked.
grendel
00:30:02 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - outside Luna Cafe, 2081C Harbor Ave, Everett, Seattle, UCAS

"Your place is fine." Reign smiles softly, her hands snaking out from beneath the cloak to trail across Tony's arm.
bclements
00:38:53 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - I-5 Southbound, Everett, Seattle, UCAS

Tony put the car into gear and gently eased out of the parking lot, careful to keep the wheel with the buffeting wind and patches of black ice that the dog brain in the car didn’t want to compensate for on the sidestreets. Following the automap back out to the 5, his and Reign’s arms danced, winding around and through each other in slow, soft movements. He imagined more than felt the warmth of her skin on his arms,fingertips and hands as their arms floated across the other's.

As the car reached the onramp for the 5, behind a rapidly accelerating Mitsubishi Shadow whose driver was too drunk to drive and too dumb to kick in the autonav, Tony let the Americar’s autonav take over as they merged onto the highway at a sedate speed. This area didn’t have much traffic this time of night, and most seemed to be headed their way. He sat their, her arm in his, silently staring at her, wondering why a person like her would be interested in someone like him, despite what she had said earlier in the club.
grendel
00:44:18 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - I-5 Southbound, Everett, Seattle, UCAS

Reign smiles at Tony holding his gaze for several minutes before looking away, cheeks coloring. Streetlights flash past the vehicle, painting her face with momentary fans of sodium orange. The soft ringing of coins fills the silence between them for a minute until she glances back at Tony.

"What are you thinking?"
bclements
00:45:03 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - I-5 Southbound, Everett, Seattle, UCAS

Tony looked away from her as he answered, still holding her arm in his. After a moment, he answered. “Just wondering why you’re still here. Most of what I’ve told you would have made a normal woman start running long ago, and its not even the start,” he said softly, looking out the windshield at the marching highway lamps and striped lines.

“I don’t want you to run from me, but you’ve got to know what you’re getting into. I do not want to see you get hurt because of me,’ he finished with a bit of sadness inflecting into his drawl.
grendel
00:45:49 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - I-5 Southbound, Everett, Seattle, UCAS

Reign slides her way into Tony's lap again, brushing the cowl back from her face so she can can kiss his jaw. She draws his hands inside her cloak and he blinks in surprise, finding only smooth, warm flesh beneath. A glance over into the passenger seat reveals the small pile of folded silk panels and fiber optic wire.

"A girl likes a little danger in her man," she whispers, brushing her lips across his. "Stop trying to figure me out. Just hold me."
Bastard
00:08:44 Friday 12 January 2063 - Stuffer Shack #717, Auburn, Seattle, UCAS

Before spotting the young lady in the grey parka, Marquis begins scavanging through the candy at the end of the isle for something soy-free. Of course, it probably wont be found here, he will have to go to where all the gourmet junk food is.

After noticing Karma by the Slurpee machine, he continues his approach, all the while, still digging through all the displays along the way. Upon arrival he receives her words of advice.

"Yeah, in the end. Just dont like getting calls at home. I already follow the shadow code of DTA, but I really dont trust this guy. But hey, what can you do."

Bastard
Edit:double post...do'oh! eek.gif
Scrapheap
19:53:52 Friday January 12, 2063; Miner’s Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Ludmilla strode through the Landing's doorway, rubbing her cold and tired hands together, blue helmet tucked under her left arm. Not only was she exhausted from a day spent exerting the intense concentration required for the detailed electronics work needed to assemble Sascha's bugs, but the ride over had been stressful as well. It wasn't exactly motorcycle weather, but she always avoided using her new Mercury for biz whenever possible. The car was used to ferry her family around, and she didn't want it associated with her work.

Miner's Landing was packed. Ludi stood in the crowded foyer among well-dressed patrons awaiting tables. To either side of the maitre-d' station was an open staircase: the one to her right leading up and the other down. The restaurant proper was located in the lower area, and was currently filled to capacity and bustling with activity. Prosperous-looking corporate-types sat at the tables, white linen napkins in their laps. The air was filled with the low buzz of conversation and the clink of dinnerware.

From the bar upstairs, Ludmilla could hear polite applause as the band finished its set. Pushing her way through the crowd as politely as possible, the russian woman saw the elf at the maitre-d' station visibly relax when he realized she was headed up to the bar. She couldn't see them, but she was sure that whatever security agents the Landing employed had just relaxed as well.
Scrapheap
19:55:19 Friday January 12, 2063; Miner’s Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Reaching the top of the stairs, she looked towards Zeyda's usual table, close to the stage. He was there, speaking with a large, well-dressed orc with cornrows in his hair. The fixer caught her eye as he took a drink from his tumbler of scotch, and gave a slight nod towards the bar. She was early.

As Ludmilla approached the bar, filled with both people waiting for tables and those here for the music and drink, she wondered again about Zeyda's connection to Miner's Landing. What hold did the perpetually rumpled and harried fixer have over the owners that they would allow him to conduct his shadow-business at such an upscale, corporate environment? Or was he the owner? She'd never asked and didn't plan to, but couldn't help but wonder.

Pushing her way up to the bar itself, squeezing in between a couple leaning close together and a sullen dwarf seated alone, Ludi signaled for service. The bartender, an orc woman, neat in black vest and white shirt nodded as she approached.

"What'll it be, honey?"
grendel
00:09:03 Friday 12 January 2063 - Stuffer Shack #717, Auburn, Seattle, UCAS

Karma shrugs, eyes tracking restlessly across the doorway.

"Not a matter of being paranoid, just a matter of being paranoid enough. Anything else for tonight?"
bclements
01:07:20 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - Capitol Hill Terrace parking lot, 1404 E. 14th Ave, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

“So that’s how that comes off…” Tony murmured as he did just as she asked: he held her close to him as the car sped down the highway and forgot about anything else. In the dim illumination of the dashboard, regularly punctuated by the intrusion of the orange highway lights, a passing driver probably wouldn’t even notice that there were two people in the driver’s seat; one holding the other as she rested against him and slowly rubbed her cheeks and lips against his neck occasionally. Although he tried to keep at least one eye on the road, he couldn’t help but look into her bright green eyes. Luckily, the dog brain actually driving the car wasn’t so easily distracted.

The rest of the trip downtown passed in companionable silence, broken only by the expansion joints of the pavement and old blues playing at low volume. Tony found it a bit difficult to take over from the autonav with her still sprawled over him, but found himself not wanting to let go of her more. After a few minutes and some very careful one handed driving, he managed to make it to his parking spot at his building.

“Carry you up?” Tony whispered as he put the car into park and cut the engine. The wind had whipped up some small drifts from the smattering of snow around the small parking lot.
grendel
01:07:49 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - Capitol Hill Terrace parking lot, 1404 E. 14th Ave, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

Reign winds her arms around Tony's neck, smiling.

"And here you claimed not to be a gentleman."

She feels almost weightless in his arms.
bclements
01:09:10 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - Capitol Hill Terrace Apt 203, 1404 E. 14th Ave, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

“After you went to so much trouble, it’s the least I can do,” Tony said, playfulness evident in his tone. Carefully opening up the car door and bracing his leg against it to keep the steady wind from shutting it on them, he maneuvered himself and Reign out of the car and into the building, making sure that her cloak was wrapped around her to keep the bitter night air out. No one was about; this time of the night the residents of the Terrace were snugly cocooned in their flats or still out on the town for a few more hours of partying.

Still holding Reign in his arms as they came to the second floor landing, Tony looked carefully at the door as he approached it, checking to make sure that the hairbrush bristle was still in its spot on the high end of the doorjamb. Satisfied, he thumbed the door unlocked while Reign moved an arm to push it open, revealing the same area that they had both seen last night. Even the cleaning drone had retreated to its hideaway under the kitchen cabinets. The only sound in the apartment came from a neighbor-that-Tony-knew-to-wave-at; muted sounds of some unidentifiable sporting event leaking through the walls.

Shutting the door with a heal, Tony looked at Reign, still in his arms. “Care to dance, or would you like me to carry you on the tour?” he said with the same playfulness as before.
grendel
01:09:33 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - Capitol Hill Terrace Apt 203, 1404 E. 14th Ave, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

Reign smiles wickedly, fire flickering in her eyes. With a lithe twist, Tony finds himself clutching an empty robe. Reign leans against the doorway to the bedroom, pale skin glowing in the halflight. Her hair appears dark, almost black amidst the shadows. Glancing back over her shoulder, she favors Tony with a coy smile.

"Shall we dance?"
Mister Juan
19:57:01 Friday January 12, 2063; Miner’s Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Ludmilla’s green eyes peered from between two rebellious strand of black hair. It wasn’t in her usual behavior to drink… not because she didn’t like. On the contrary.

“Mommy, what did you do when you were in Russia?”

During the year she had spent in Siberia, binge drinking amongst the troops wasn’t just tolerated, it was almost encouraged.

“Oh… nothing that could really interest a little girl like you.”

It kept them relaxed; kept their mind off the danger they faced each day.

“Why did you leave mommy?”

What the hell, I could really use a drink.

“Vodka. Iced.”

Waiting for her order, Ludmilla turned around so she could casually lean against the bar. To most patrons, she was simply a woman relaxing after a day of hard work. Maybe she was even looking for a date; waiting for someone to pick her up. But… maybe she was more into woman… with the whole tomboyish look… Ludi didn’t really care what people thought of her. Having her back to a crowded room was simply something she didn’t like.

Zeyda had seen her. When he was ready to meet with her, he’d make it clear. In the meantime… there wasn’t much to do but slowly gaze around the room and daydream.
Bastard
00:09:20 Friday 12 January 2063 - Stuffer Shack #717, Auburn, Seattle, UCAS

"No that will be it...that is of course unless you have a warm bed on yah. Can't wait to get home and rack out. Been a long, long day."
Scrapheap
20:01:41 Friday January 12, 2063; Miner’s Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

The dwarf seated next to her raised a bushy eyebrow at Ludi's thick accent, but said nothing. Placing her helmet on the bar, the slim woman turned around to casually watch the other clientele as she waited for her drink. She carefully kept Zeyda's table in sight.

After a moment the bartender returned with Ludi's vodka on the rocks, sitting it on the bar next to the blue helmet. Producing a portable reader, she smiled a silent question. Nodding, Ludi hand the orc the certified 'stick Sascha had given her and took a sip of her drink. She was surprised to find that the drink was real and not synthahol. Noting her reaction, the bartender handed her back the credstick with a wink. "Nul persp, doll. Ya look like ya could use a break. It's synth, far as I'm concerned."

"Da. I could, at that. Spa`sibo...thank you."

"Like I said, nul persp. Just lemme know if ya wanna run a tab."

As the friendly woman turned to fill another order, Ludi felt the psec in her jacket begin to buzz. Checking the small screen she saw it was a text reply from Sascha.
    First part of estimate received. Reply only with entire amount. Funding in place.
She shook her head. The man was an ass even in a simple text format. Taking another sip from her drink, she briefly fantasized about planting her trusty combat boot in his teeth. She was still smiling when she noticed the well-dressed orc reach across the table to shake Zeyda's hand, put on a pair of sunglasses, and quickly leave the booth.

As his client left, the fixer rubbed his face tiredly before pinching the bridge of his nose between thumb and index finger: the universal sign of a headache. A second later he opened his eyes, bent over his own pocket secretary, and began to work quickly. He stayed like this for several moments, lost in concentration.

Finally, Zeyada slowly sat back and took a sip from his drink. After a few more seconds spent studying the psec's backlit display, he looked up at Ludi and motioned her over. Grabbing her helmet and drink, the russian fighter deftly made her way across the crowded bar, trying to appear casual. Nodding a greeting at the older man, she smoothly slid into the booth opposite him and sat her helmet and glass on the table.

Zeyda nodded and took another sip of his drink before responding. "Hoi. Good to see you again, chummer. I must admit I was a little surprised to get your call. What can I do for you?"
Mister Juan
20:02:52 Friday January 12, 2063; Miner’s Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

As she sat down, Ludmilla slightly unzipped the thick biking jacket she had on. She wasn't sure if it was the fatigue, the crowded room... or just the place, but she felt uneasy in her clothes. They felt sticky and too warm. She would have gladly shed a few pieces here and there, but there was always the chance someone would notice the strange, yet discreet, bulge on her right hip. Even if Ludi, well, Yulia Taleniekov, was licensed to carry such weaponry, avoiding attention was always a good thing in her line of work.

"Priviet. Well..." she started turning a cube of ice around in her glass "I have little problem. I need to get my hands on some hardware."

Before the fixer could react, Ludmilla lifted her tired eyes from the glass to look straight at him. She leaned a bit forward as she spoke.

"Nothing dangerous. Very normal gear. I have detail list if you want to look."
Scrapheap
20:03:34 Friday January 12, 2063; Miner’s Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Zeyda made a discreet gesture with his left hand to forestall any further explanation. "No need to go into detail. Beam me your list and I'll take a look."

He gave a slight nod towards where his psec lay near his glass, then looked back up at Ludmilla.
Mister Juan
20:03:58 Friday January 12, 2063; Miner’s Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Bringing her vodka up to her lips with one hand, Ludmilla started to fish around in her pockets for her psec. After a few seconds of trial an error, she barely took it out of the pocket it was hiding in... just enough for her to quickly glance at it and type in the request.

Almost instantly, the fixer's psec softly vibrated an incoming message.

"I ask only one thing of you... I not care where you find it, but not russian... how to say... material. Please."
bclements
03:34:09 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - Capitol Hill Terrace Apt 203, 1404 E. 14th Ave, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

Gently opening up his eyes, Tony reached over in the bed. Gone again he thought, feeling the cooling and empty sheets next to him. Flashes of coldly blazing green eyes that seemed to light up the darkness counterpointed by fiery, smooth skin pressed against him came before his eyes as he saw the trail of clothing he’d left from the front door to the threshold of the bedroom and felt the small bite marks and scratches in his back and shoulders.

The apartment was silent: before she left Reign must have turned off the rapidly stattaco Indian beat she’d tuned into while they embraced. Easing himself up to a sitting position on the edge of the bed, he almost wondered how she had gotten out of the apartment without him hearing until he saw the alarm clock. “How did I sleep that long?,” he muttered to himself, getting up and gingerly picking up his clothes from the floor.

The pocket of the Auctioneer buzzed when he draped it over his arm; half groggy and half drunk, Tony thought that the coat was protesting having been slung on the floor instead of its usual treatment until he remembered his psec.

I’ve got to remember to set that thing off vibe he thought, pulling it out and seeing the reminder to call Sam after Reign. Hanging his coat on a hook on his closet door while hanging his clothing over the edge of the bed, he punched up Sam’s number, hoping that he was more awake than Tony felt at the moment.
Scrapheap
20:05:31 Friday January 12, 2063; Miner’s Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

The fixer looked at Ludmilla without answering, then picked up his pocket secretary and began to work. He was quiet for several moments before looking up. "550 upfront and 3500 on delivery."

Ludi nodded. It wasn't her money. "Da. This is not problem. When?"

"Most of the items are fairly common, as I'm sure you know. Those will be no problem. I can even have them for you tomorrow if needed. However, the fourth item will take some time to source. Two, maybe three days. I'd prefer to wait until all items have been acquired to make delivery, but like I said, I could have most of the items for you tomorrow. Your choice."

Zeyda pushed his psec aside and grabbed his glass, but didn't drink. Instead, he swirled the liquid around and said, "And for future reference...I don't need to know what you plan to do with any merchandise I procure on your behalf. I don't need to know, and frankly I don't want to know. If I have an issue with anything you ask of me, I'll let you know. OK?"

Finally lifting his glass, Zeyda finished the small amount left then signalled towards the bar with his empty glass. Almost immediately a waitress approached with a tray. The fixer turned back towards Ludi. He smiled crookedly to take whatever sting his words may have held and added, "I know we haven't been doing business for long. Sometimes it's best to get these things clear from the start."

With a smile, the waitress sat her tray on the table, removed the fixer's empty glass and replaced it with a new drink. She then sat a portable 'stick reader in front of Ludmilla and waited.
grendel
00:09:36 Friday 12 January 2063 - Stuffer Shack #717, Auburn, Seattle, UCAS

Karma chuckles, shaking her head.

"Nope. But I'm of the same mind. If there's nothing else, I'm heading out."

She takes another sip of coffee, sparing a brief smile for Marquis.
Mister Juan
20:10:58 Friday January 12, 2063; Miner’s Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Reaching inside her jacket, Ludmilla cursed in russian under her breath.

What is this, fragging asshole week?

The way Zeyda had addressed her wasn't to her particular liking. Telling her what to say and not to made her feel like a fool. Who does he think he is... When she finally got the credstick out, she slotted it in the reader.

As the transaction took place, Ludi tried to keep her facial expression as neutral as possible. She could feel anger build up inside her and wanted nothing more than to explode.

When the payment finally went thru, she pushed her chair back as she got up, grabbing with one hand her helmet as she hooked the other one on her belt loop.

"Dasvidania." her tone was empty of all emotion.

"Call me when you have everything."

The russian woman gave him a quick nod and a forced smile, trying her best to stay civil, and started walking away from the table, leaving her half full drink behind her.
Scrapheap
20:12:17 Friday January 12, 2063; Miner’s Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

As Ludi began to angrily stomp away from the table she heard a small sigh from behind her. "Ludmilla, please come back and sit."

Pausing, she glanced over her shoulder, expecting Zeyda to be angry as well. Instead the fixer looked even more tired, if that was possible. "Please?"
Mister Juan
20:12:28 Friday January 12, 2063; Miner’s Landing, Downtown Seattle, UCAS

Still looking over her shoulder, Ludmilla simply stood still in the middle of the room. The fixer had ticked her off... but then again... ticking Ludi off wasn't something especially difficult.

Slowly, she turned around, her heavy boots squeaking slightly on the floor. In a few paces, she was back to the table.

Zeyda was an important fixer and a valuable contact. Showing too much arrogance and disrespect would be a very bad move for the young woman.

Keeping her helmet on her knees, she sat back down, never taking her eyes off the man.

"Chto?"
bclements
03:39:09 Saturday, 13 January 2063 - Capitol Hill Terrace Apt 203, 1404 E. 14th Ave, Capitol Hill, Seattle, UCAS

RING…..RING….RING….

“Uh, hullo?” a groggy voice answered.

The Hillbilly walks at Midnight,” Tony said, barely able to keep from laughing.

CLICK. Apparently Sam wasn’t as amused at being woken after a hard evening’s work.

It took Tony three more tries to finally get Sam back on the phone again.

Kid, if you don’t quit calling me, I’m going to come over and shove that daishao of yours straight up your hoop.” Sam said groggily.

Vato, you told me to call you when I got done.” Tony said, still keeping a joking tone.

”Yeah, I did say that. I didn’t say to call me when you finally finished with that joygirl. It was the same one as last night, right? Sam said, grogginess gone.

”Sor-ry, pops. Didn’t mean to get your beauty mask ruffled up” Tony said, getting a little defensive.

”You know, you could have some consideration. There is this thing most people have, called a JOB. Maybe you’ve heard of it? You see, when you have a job…

”Alright, damn. Sorry to wake you up.” Tony said apologetically.

”Remember, I know where you live. Don’t call me till tomorrow. Or later on, whatever the frag time it is. 3:40? Jesus, Hillbilly. If I wasn’t so tired I’d kick the living drek out of you on general principle. Sam said, hanging up the phone with an almost audible sigh.

Tony sat there for a few moments, looking at the phone before rolling back into the bed, letting the alcohol and long day pull him under.
Bastard
00:09:50 Friday 12 January 2063 - Stuffer Shack #717, Auburn, Seattle, UCAS

"Well, before you roll, whats the damage?" Marq asks Karma before they leave the SS.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012