Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: System Crash and AI
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Large Mike

The thought here, is that if the entire matrix goes down, so do those wonders of technology, AI. Except of course that there's the network. Which begs the question, where does the matrix start and end?

Also, how many here think it would be logical to see Mirage, Alice, Magenta, Dues, Isis-9, and every other trumped up knowbot crawl out of the woodwork to try and put paid to whoever's crashing the 'trix? (Smart money's on Winternight.)
fistandantilus4.0
You mean Mageara? And Alice isn't exactly an AI.

People keep bringing up Winternight.

Ever wonder if all the AI's clashing could do it?
Bull
I blame Obsidimen. And Horrors. ANd T'Skrang. And D20. smile.gif
JACK THE CHIPPER
Hard to tell without further information.
The matrix crash doesn't nessecarily mean all data will be lost, just that the system as a whole looses it's functionality. So the AIs could survive the crash.

Hunting down whoever could be responsible for the crash wouldn't help at all, nor would it change anything. I'd imagine the AIs would be pragmatic about it.

But as a side note: What will become of the Otaku?
fistandantilus4.0
They'll cry.
JACK THE CHIPPER
Shame.
I always liked them as NPCs and story anchors, although I never liked the idea of them as PCs. 12 year olds just don't make good members of a professional crew of shadowrunners if roleplayed properly. Kinda like Kenders in Dragonlance. You love them in the books and if they appear occasionaly during the game, but if you have one in your party they drive you nuts at best and get you killed at worst
fistandantilus4.0
Completely agree.

But my Uncle Trapspringer said once...
Bull
You guys are making tons of assumptions here smile.gif The question is, are any of them correct?
fistandantilus4.0
well, we've just have nothing better to do is all.
Critias
QUOTE (Bull)
You guys are making tons of assumptions here smile.gif The question is, are any of them correct?

What, we're just supposed to sit in the shiney new forum and not talk?
JACK THE CHIPPER
QUOTE (Bull)

Well, if you know more, feel freee to share wink.gif. I'd appreciate it.
hermit
Kinda like Kenders in Dragonlance. You love them in the books and if they appear occasionaly during the game, but if you have one in your party they drive you nuts at best and get you killed at worst

Oooooh yes. Very annoying indeed.

Anyway, the Otaku will hit something even more significant (to each of them, at least) than Matrix loss in those five years ... puberty. Wonder how that will effect their abilities ...
JACK THE CHIPPER
New flaw: bad case of acne -1
Large Mike

Considering that Otaku don't fade 'till 21 (which seems dumb to me, but kind of a mute point now) it's entirly possible that there will still be viable Otaku after the crash.
Bull
Well, true smile.gif

Not that I know all the details (Or would tell you if I did wink.gif), I'm just warning ya'll not to make too many assumptions.

I'm already seeing people saying "It looks like they'll do X with the new edition" based on... Err... I don't know what. All I'm saying is... Speculation is fine. Assumptions will lead to possible dissapointment. Or gloating if you were right. ANd that just ain't pretty smile.gif

Besides... Harley did it. With the Panther. In Club Penumbra.

Bull
fistandantilus4.0
sneaky clown
Large Mike

Harley in Penumbra with a Panther...

That's bound to be a messy scene.

Or a funny one.
Sandoval Smith
It's going to be the Otakus' very own Human Instrumentality Project. After the crash, someone is going to walk into one of the old tribe hangouts and wonder why there's Tang all over the floor.

Harley did it. With the Panther.

I'm confused, are we talking about a cannon, or a shapeshifter?
kryton
For all we know there could be any number of unknown factors rearing they're ugly heads. There's been what 3 or 4 years without any novels or side stories. There's the stories published on Shadowrunrpg but besides that there's no telling what's going behind the scenes?

Possibly they could tie into Gencon and Origins tournements? I dunno I've not been to an origins since 93'. Not to mention what sort of background material Rob possibly has been working on or an associate writer. Hell we don't really know who's even writing the books? We have possibly Threats 2 for some leads but we really don't know.

I'm putting my money on Deus but that's the most obvious and easy choice. I'd guess it's more complex. I wonder though how the world's financial markets and Zurich Orbital would handle a crash? What sort of backup would there be and what sort of financial reprecussions would there be? If the matrix is anything like the Internet is now a major crash would literly cripple the world's financial market possibly calling all sorts of socioeconmic upheavel. There could be some NAN wars, or border conflicts. Food riots, and massive depression. Who knows. I have a feeling it's going to be some interesting reading.

I think the Otaku are just pawns. No theres something bigger going on probably bigger than Deus. One thing though that would be interesting is what would happen if an Otaku or other decker was inhabited by something like a Shedheim or other spirit. You could have some really freaky $hit going on in the matrix. The possibilites are endless.

.....Hell it could be the return of Gary Coleman, super hacker AI...Destroyer of Worlds......Ravenger of Security Guards........The eater of pop tarts......
Bull
QUOTE (kryton)
.....Hell it could be the return of Gary Coleman, super hacker AI...Destroyer of Worlds......Ravenger of Security Guards........The eater of pop tarts......

Hrmmm... He knows too much.

*Dials the gamer Police*

"Yes. This is Bull. We have a Code Zeta. You have a go."

Bull
Bull
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)

Take your pick smile.gif Either one works. ork.gif
Zen Shooter01
Who said the matrix goes down?

There's no mention of a worldwide matrix failure in the System Failure entry in the '05 FanPro catalogue available at Battlecorps.com. "Apocalyptic terrorists", "a struggling megacorp", "an AI thought to be dead," "the biggest shakeup the Shadowrun universe has seen in decades".

But nothing about a global matrix failure.
hermit
QUOTE (Bull)
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith @ Mar 18 2005, 08:19 AM)

Take your pick smile.gif Either one works. ork.gif

Always knew he was a wacky guy. I mean, what guy uses makeup on a daily basis? Hunh? And paints like a clown? He must have massive issues. Or a warped taste, which is well possible when you're 10.000 years old.

Who said the matrix goes down?

There's no mention of a worldwide matrix failure in the System Failure entry in the '05 FanPro catalogue available at Battlecorps.com. "Apocalyptic terrorists", "a struggling megacorp", "an AI thought to be dead," "the biggest shakeup the Shadowrun universe has seen in decades".

But nothing about a global matrix failure.

Well, it's the whole Matrix 2.0 thing that made us assume, y'know ... and a Matrix 2.0 makes little sense withoput Matrix 1.X down ... get the idea? wink.gif
kryton
Also reread the SR4 announcement. It says:

The year is 2070 ­five years since the System Failure took down the old Matrix, nine years since the passing of the comet unleashed wild and unexplained magic in the world.

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=7659
Neuron Basher
QUOTE (Bull)
I blame Obsidimen. And Horrors. ANd T'Skrang. And D20. smile.gif

Don't forget those little Windling bastards.
Neuron Basher
Riiiiight. And the computer is your friend too, I bet.
kryton
I thought sprites bite......Or maybe that's the fairies.

Sure they look all innocent in they're beedy little eyes and cute little shoes....

I'm hoping something big and nasty gets loose in Tir Nan Og and starts chomping on the dandelion eaters. Immortal elves remind me of spoiled rich kids like the Hilton twins ect. They need a good smacking around.
Lindt
*grumbles* Fragging Kenders... THEY broke the matrix!

Remember, just because the matrix went down, dosent mean that every computer connected to it did too. For all we know 2000 otaku got tougther and did the digital equivelent of the great ghost dance and blew the whole damm place up.
Zen Shooter01
Kryton: Good point about the SR4 announcement...but "took down" is a fairly elastic term. It doesn't necessarily mean an extinction-level event/new dark age size catastrophe.
kryton
We really dont' know the scope of the event. That's true but I'm guessing it might be a big one as they're totally revamping the rigger and decker rules. Who knows. It could be as big as the 29' crash maybe bigger? We'll just have to wait and see. I'm guessing it's going to be a big event mainly because the timeline is 5 years later and there's a 2.0 matrix. I'm not talking cataclysm(msp?) think more along historical terms.....Think 1920's.

I'm thinking in terms of what would happen if nodes were attacked as they went online. I'm not saying there's going to be a new dark age. I'm using more recent facts like what happend with the Stock market crash or a major corporate break up. Basically financial markets are based on reliance on communications. Loss of trust in that infrastructure creates instability in the market. When all money, information, and knowledge is digital; and that medium crashes or is brought down your cutting off a major mode of commerce. Money is digital, loose trust in the digital infrastructure and consumer confidence starts to go down. Folks start demanding hard currency, banks have to close they’re doors and financial institutions can go bankrupt or default. There’s not going to be a dark age, more like a depression of sorts. Those sorts of events have a way of imprinting themselves on the psyche's of those who live through them. If I had a quarter for everytime my gradfather told me about the depression and the cost of bread I'd be rich.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
And Alice isn't exactly an AI.

Um... What? Then what is she?
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Mar 18 2005, 03:18 AM)
And Alice isn't exactly an AI.

Um... What? Then what is she?

A dead decker from Echo Mirage.
Jrayjoker
Only not quite dead in the net
Crimsondude 2.0
I'll ask again: What is she?

I know who Alice Haeffner was. Alice Haeffner is also dead, and AFAIK buried.

Unless you assume the existence of the soul, and the idea that it can transfer onto the Matrix, she's an AI-- an electronic equivalent based on her memories and psychological profile.

And use the Edit button next time.
kryton
She's a very powerfull omnipotent "Duck". And Hey Crimson what's wrong with Stephen Kenson?
Critias
QUOTE (kryton)
And Hey Crimson what's wrong with Stephen Kenson?

Christ. What isn't?
mfb
he has an amazing talent for writing poorly-worded, confusing rules--exactly what SR doesn't need. he tends to make magic more touchy-feely and less logical; i think it should be more balanced. he's pushed otaku towards being Awakened, which is an idea i personally despise.
kryton
I dunno I kind of dig that. I think too often science tends to focus on the logic and the postivistic rationale taking all the wonder and mystery out of things. I kind of like that approach and think it adds something positive to the game.
mfb
i don't think touchy-feely should be the only answer, though. i think it takes something away from the game if you disallow a more logical approach. i think both should work, in other words, not just one or the other.
kryton
That's true. I guess it gets into the different traditions.
Zen Shooter01
Kryton: Right, that's what I mean regarding the matrix failure -- it's not going to be a total end-of-civilization thing, like the old Cold War model of after-the-bomb. But, like you say, more analogous to the fall of the Iron Curtain or the Stock Market Crash of '29 in far-reaching effects.
kryton
Ultimately we're going to see some form of literary "Deus Ex Machina".
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (kryton @ Mar 18 2005, 12:35 PM)
I dunno I kind of dig that. I think too often science tends to focus on the logic and the postivistic rationale taking all the wonder and mystery out of things. I kind of like that approach and think it adds something positive to the game.

Well, in case you haven't noticed by now, I put a very high premium on things like logic and reason.

As for what's wrong with Kenson, let me sum it up in the writing mantra of my mentor (someone who's work for the last 32 years, and counting, has absolutely depended upon his writing skills): You need to be clear, concise, and correct. It's the same mantra apply to everything I write.

Kenson has consistently failed on all three points repeatedly ever since he wrote Awakenings. His writing is vague, contradictory, illogical, incoherent, and unreadable. It is bad enough with fiction, but it is absolutely imperative that when you write out rules that people have to follow that you do not fail to be clear. His writing is overly drawn out, wordy, and does not flow. Finally, he has in his fiction, and don't even get me started on his novels, been incorrect when using rules which he wrote himself. His ideas are awful, and his grasp of factual issues is tepid at best. References to the Washington, D.C. area, the government, and issues of common sense have routinely been wrong. After a while, it becomes incredibly annoying. It's also become personally annoying that he picks his favorite characters and locations and runs them into the ground. Show some creativity for God's sakes.

And this person has been responsible for most of the magical rules for 3e, and gave us such gems as "Passing through Earth" and a myriad of hopelessly confusing and vague rules for magic. The only good, ever, to come from anything he wrote was that the Enhanced Centering power from the two Grimoires became a metamagic. That's it.
Critias
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
The only good, ever, to come from anything he wrote was that the Enhanced Centering power from the two Grimoires became a metamagic. That's it.

Untrue. We've gotten a few laughs out of some of his other stuff. Pitiful, staving-off-the-tears laughs, but laughs all the same.
Charon
Wow. Lots of hate for Steve Kenson.

Hey, Steve, if you reading this, I think Mutant & Mastermind rocks!
Crimsondude 2.0
OH, my utter contempt for Kenson doesn't let the other people involved in, say, MitS off the hook.

What amazes me is not that it had to be edited and approved by, natch, Mike. But that apparently none of the 89(!) playtesters--including more than a few people around here--either didn't catch these problems in playtesting, or were ignored.

And I don't know which is worse.
Cynic project
Well, in SOTA 2064, it states that winternight wants to hit the matrix so hard that it would make the crash of '29 look like system burp.. Or something like that.

So,I think both winter night doing something bad,and matrix falling are not too far out in the left feild.
UV-Host
It´s the Horrors. Belive me! wink.gif
Wireknight
The one thing I really disagree with, from Kenson's perspective, is that academic hermetics (i.e. the ones that teach classes, develop thaumaturgical theses using a standardized thaumaturgic nomenclature, and actually try to create reproducable results) are "wrong" but shamans, and hermetics with a more holistic/magic-is-magic philosophy (i.e. Talon) are "right". I think both should be given equal precedence and viability.

It even pervades shadowtalk. The Shadowtalk in some magic-related SR3 efforts can usually be abstracted to this:

[game-related in-character data]

[hermetic poster describing some logical way of looking at it, tha sounds pretty damned absurd]

[shaman describing it correctly in less logical terms, or simply declaring once and for all that hermetics "just don't get it"]

Really annoying. Am I so wrong for liking magic that can be researched without contacting ancestors with magical Awakened plants, chanting "klatuu verata nicto" six times, and smearing myself in sap and dancing sky-clad?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012