Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruitment: Snatch and Grab
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
BishopMcQ
Team-oriented Fixer seeks tight-knit group of B/E experts for exclusive job. Must have firm sense of self-identity, heavy weapons need not apply.

Alright folks--
I've spoken to a few people about this and now it's time.

Specs are as follows:
125 bp starting character.
Add 100 karma and 200K nuyen.gif after the initial build
Must be willing to post at least once per day, M-F.

May not use the following flaws:
Allergy, Uncommon (It's PbP folks...)
Hunted (I bring these up, you don't want that...)
Amnesia (Strong team-oriented game)

What you have to do:
Post a brief bio of your character for everyone to read. After I make a team selection, put your characters together. I'm hoping for a lot of communication between the team so that you can all complement each other's skill set.

Use your imagination, I prefer intriguing concepts to cardboard cut-outs.

Recruitment will end on March 27th. Final builds to be ready by April 2nd. IC thread to start on April 3rd.
Sandoval Smith
Just to get this straight, after we submit the intial character, we get 100 karma, and 200k for further advancement when we start?

(will we need to go through fixers and waiting periods for anything we buy with that 200K?)
BishopMcQ
Post a bio. After that, if you are selected make a character by the standard rules and advance it with the karma and nuyen. For gear bought after character creation, you'll either need a contact or have it explained into your history how you got it.

The max availability on gear after Character Creation is 14. SI will be added for post creation purchases.
Digital Heroin
I am so in.... just need to work up a bio... will edit this post to include it when I have one.

Edit: So I don't go into something that won't work at all... what time's the game set in, and are there any books not allowed?

Edit2: I'm working on a techie, not a rigger but a tech savy, and socially... well, quirky type. The kind of guy who had to leave mainstream society because "the government was out to get him" I'll be presenting a bio for him, a social adept, and a traditionalist, just so the best suited one to the team can be there... biggrin.gif

First of three:
[ Spoiler ]
Oh, and he's not Hunted, for reference. He's just got a Dossier on File. beret.gif
Sphynx
Liam (Loki) McGraw met Raven on his 16th birthday, a little late by some standards, but a meeting that left Liam forever changed. It was a bizarre combination, Dwarf born into Richness who could have had life handed to him on a platter. Raven, the thief totem for the poor. But Liam was never really the typical rich-boy, his father wasn't all that pleased to have had a child of such stature, and Liam had the urge to always prove himself, which he did mostly by less than conventional methods. He loved the stories of Loki, feeling a brethrenship with him, the 2ndary son who had to struggle for his respect, whose only options tended to be those of a more shady nature. However, that was then....

This is now.... 32 years of age, Loki, as he liked to go by, had become a master thief. His inheritance gave him the edge of superior training, though his father didn't know that's what he was learning his magic for. Coupled with a few nice technological devices, he was making his name as one of the best B&E experts in the known world. A name that even had ShadowRunners seeking him out for aide. It was an interesting world, that one in the Shadows, and had appeal, so it wasn't long before Loki entered into the world of the Shadows, a home both he and Raven felt incredibly comfortable in. Here his physical stature didn't mean anything at all, and he could easily garnish the level of respect a man of his skills deserved. His occasional pranksterish act easily forgiven for his results. There was definitely that to be said... it was never boring when Loki was around. wink.gif
Sandoval Smith
This is an idea I've been tossing around for a while, playing a 'shifter with high social skills.

Man, why is it that whenever I try and write out a background story, it ends up trying to achieve novel lengths?
[ Spoiler ]
BishopMcQ
DH--The year is 2064, mid-April. No books from previous editions, but anything from SR3 to SOTA: 64 is allowed.
Aes
Will cultured bioware be allowed? I've an idea running around in th eback of my mind that might not mind taking a point or two of magic loss for a mnemonic enhancer or a cerebra booster.
Kiedo
I'd be interested in playing I'll put up a bio later.

Sandoval your novella bios make for a good read, thats one of the reasons I liked sebastian so much, there was just so much of him.
BishopMcQ
AES--As long as the availability falls under the standard guidelines for Character creation, or under the higher limit for advancement, Cultured is fine.
Kiedo
Bio as promised, he's paraplegicm but if that would interfere with your story line I'd be happy to rework it a little bit, who knows I might anyway.
[ Spoiler ]
Bastard
Looks like you could still use a sammy...so I guess I will fill that void biggrin.gif

if I am selected of course.

[ Spoiler ]

Aes
Much as I promised myself my next PC would NOT be a female elf, there IS a PC from another PnP campaign who, incidentally, left that group around April 64. I sort of grew attached to the little homicidal maniac. Half a novel ahoy.

[ Spoiler ]
Ecclesiastes
I'll be bringing Wraith into the mix. He is an ex-CIA operative, cybered PhysAd B&E expert with a good mix of social skills to go along with it.

[ Spoiler ]
Ecclesiastes
Is this the run we talked about being in France? Or did I talk to Buddha about that? I can't remember. Either way, what location is the run going to be in?
BishopMcQ
This is the run in France...though locations may change depending on the exact mix that comes out from the team.

It will be outside of Seattle, though I leave it up to the team to decide whether they want to be based in Seattle, elsewhere, and how much travel they like to undertake in the line of work.

SINs, especially if they're fake will probably be useful.
Ecclesiastes
One thing for people to keep in mind... The French hate cyberware. Its better to be a deformed troll than let someone see some obvious cyberware installed on your body.
Ecclesiastes
Being that we are advanced characters, I take it we won't be stuck with the Rating 6 / Availibility 8 limit. I think I remember you saying it would be 10 / 12, but wanted to make sure. Also, what about Betaware or Deltaware? Ok as long as we stay under the availibility?
BishopMcQ
As I posted above, gear bought with starting cash during character creation is limited as per the normal rules. Gear and cyberware bought during advancement is capped at availability 14.

If you can get the 'ware you want in Beta or Delta grade with the higher availability cap, then it is fine. I'll just ask you to explain how you got it in your history.
Aes
QUOTE (Ecclesiastes)
One thing for people to keep in mind... The French hate cyberware. Its better to be a deformed troll than let someone see some obvious cyberware installed on your body.

While I don't have anything against the idea per se, I'd like a book/page reference for that statement to read over with my own eyes. If a datajack makes you a social outcast, poor France will be lagging waaaaay behind in matrix literacy.
Ecclesiastes
I'm going by what McQ told me. Aparently its in the French chapter of Shadows of Europe (which I have, but haven't read yet).
Sandoval Smith
A datajack is one thing, but, say obvious cyber eyes, limbs, are something else entirely.

Lucky John, he's so uncybered it hurts (and it just might too...)

I suppose that means I should put a couple knowledge ranks into French.
BishopMcQ
The french exception seems to hold to cyberware beyond standard business 'ware. Page reference SoE, p 82.

According to shadow talk there is a moving current in counter culture which clearly displays cyberlimbs with embedded precious metals as works of body art.
Ecclesiastes
Ok, so datajacks we can get away with?

*scratches off the Induction Datajacks from his list of ware*
Sandoval Smith
So if you have the the chromed out sam, unless you want to try and pass yourself off as a icon of the counter-culture, go for the non obvious cyberware. And probably pick out a couple of nice, concealing outfits.
Digital Heroin
Second concept, probably closer to my heart, because, well the novel I'm just finishing up is about a similar guy.

[ Spoiler ]
Kiedo
The cash we get post character creation can that be exchanged for Karma or spell points, if not I could just get a focus or two. And what about initiation if we use some of the karma to initiate can we use a group and an ordeal to lower the cost?
BishopMcQ
Kiedo--Cash for Karma applies, 1karma = 5k nuyen.gif, the reverse also applies. It cannot be turned into spellpoints per se, but you could always improve your spells through Spell design (With the apporpriate skills, library etc) or purchase the higher grade formulas.

As for initiation and groups--If you want to join a group, I'll need a background of how you met them why they're around etc, not just a list of initiations and ordeals you took. Basically I'm looking for your background to justify and explain your current position and skill set.

If you can explain it plausibly, I will work with you on just about anything you can do with a character in the course of normal gameplay.
Kiedo
one more question who put the team together, did we form on our own or was the team assebled by a johnson and we just stuck together. I'm revising my bio to include a few things I forgot so I figured I'd ask.
BishopMcQ
I'll leave the team creation up to the group. My requirement is that you work together, whether you want that to be voluntarily or by force is up to you.
Whizbang
here's my submission...liable to be edited...it's been a long couple of days...

[ Spoiler ]
Digital Heroin
Of the two characters I've presented, the second's definitly my favorite. The third, well he's not even going to be posted.
Foxx
What if you don't have the book for Building Points, would using priority be fine with making the character?
Sandoval Smith
Download the NSRCG and use the character generator for a point based character.
BishopMcQ
Pts and the NSRCG would be the easiest way for me, but if anyone wants to use Priority than go ahead.
Ecclesiastes
Alright everyone. Here is my first rough draft of Wraith.
Foxx
This gig going to need a decker, I was thinking of experimenting with the character type or maybe playing an Otaku. But I want to be sure that you want one onboard.

And how do you do that spoiler bit, I've been trying to look it up but can't find it.
Thomas
QUOTE (Foxx)
This gig going to need a decker, I was thinking of experimenting with the character type or maybe playing an Otaku.  But I want to be sure that you want one onboard.

And how do you do that spoiler bit, I've been trying to look it up but can't find it.

Just put square brackets around the word spoiler to start and around /spoiler to stop; like this [ spoiler ] (remove the space before the 's' and after the 'r'):

[ Spoiler ]
Digital Heroin
Ricky's going to have a bit of computer skill to him, but not decker-style. Personal opnion, Otaku might be a tad reclusive for a professional B&E team.
Digital Heroin
Misplacing a book always sucks... but especially misplacing MITAS when you are an adept junkie.
Ecclesiastes
Anyone else getting close to getting sheets done for their characters? We should start working out the dynamics of the team.
Shadow
Well here is my proposal for a character, this is basically her bio/history.

[ Spoiler ]
Whizbang
Here's what I have thus far...still working on spending the 200k nuyen.

[ Spoiler ]
Sphynx
QUOTE (Ecclesiastes)
Anyone else getting close to getting sheets done for their characters? We should start working out the dynamics of the team.

I'm waiting to hear who's in the game first. I was under the impression that our GM didn't want us to start on characters quite yet, just bios.....

Sphynx
BishopMcQ
If people want to start working on characters that's fine, however I won't be weighing the sheets submitted into my decision. Team selection will be based on the bios posted.
Aes
I made my bio without really considering how ot make it all work during chargen. I'm NOT going to sit down and try to figure out a sensible way to make a mage with a decent enough skillset to be a Yakuza assassin, a spell selection that could help in her vocation without being noticed and a bio/chrome package that would make sense for a Yakuza overlord to have installed. Too much number juggling to do if the char isn't in wink.gif

I'm thinking she'll end up with a little under 1 essence point worth of chrome (smartlink, senseware), a little under 2 bio points worth of bio (initiative, muscle toner, enhanced articulation) a sneak/athletics/standard b&e skill package, obscenely high rifles skill and several grades of adept initiation (focusing on senses, skill bonusses and stealth in powers). It's a bit of a change from her original background, but I just realized how silly it would be for her to have picked up several high-force hermetic spells and a high sorcery skill without having studied formally somewhere
BishopMcQ
So far I've got submissions from:

Digital Heroin (Ricky was the preferred offering?)
Sphynx (Loki)
AES (Lin)
Whizbang (Lleu)
Shadow (Ariel)
Ecc (Wraith)
Sandoval Smith (John Calvin)
Kiedo (Grendel)
Bastard (Christian Steele)

Please let me know if I missed someone...

Bastard--How did you plan on not being hunted? Can you flesh out that part of your bkgd a bit more for me...
Bastard
They think he is dead...records were destroyed when system crashed. When I blew up the place with all the plastic, that pretty much secured that they wouldnt be recovered.
Aes
Meh... Guess I did get bored after all. None of this is final, it's just an idea to what she could end up like.
[ Spoiler ]
BishopMcQ
Seeing as how there has not been a massive onslaught of last minute submissions, I'm posting my selection for the team.

Aes (Lin)--Japanese
Ecclesiastes (Wraith)--American
Sandoval Smith (John Calvin)--Chinese
Shadow (Ariel)--Italian
Sphynx (Loki)--American
Whizbang (Lleu)--Welsh

I need you as a team to decide whether you have come together on your own or if you were forced together by a fixer that you all have in common.

You are a fairly worldly bunch which is why I posted your nationalities. Given your high skill rating I'm going to presume that you have been approached at multiple times in the past for work in all corners of the globe, unless the team decides as a group that they want to be based out of one specific city and only do work in certain parts of the world.

To everyone who didn't make it in this game, my apologies. Selecting players is always the part I hate most since I have to turn away good ideas and interesting characters.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012