Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Emerald City Nights
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Digital Heroin
IC: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=7784

Alright folks, before I post up the introduction, I'd like everyone to give a brief little bit about their characters to the group. Present what the other characters would know of your character, kind of filling in shared perspective and history.

Also, for those not working directly for Hermes, let me know how he'd contact you.

I'll be PMing everyone individually, with karma bonuses from background, and I'll post up bike details here in a bit. Anything I missed, this is the place for it now.
Slipshade
Glide

Amanda Taylor or “Glide” to her friends and co-workers has only been working for Hermes and the courier company (Do we have a name?) for a couple of months. She is a young orc girl, just past her maturity (She is 18, I believe orcs mature at around 14-16). She is pretty and not even just for an orc. Most of her features are human-like. She is blessed with a symmetry that other orcs sometimes lack and her frame is athletic instead of bulky. She could probably past herself off as human except for the slightly upswept ears and small tusks that protrude from her lower lip. Glide’s hair is straight and black, streaked with purple highlights, she keeps it cut to just above her shoulders and when skating keeps it either tucked up under a baseball cap or ties the back into a short ponytail. At work she wears her uniform as well as a black Victory “Rapid Transit” Jacket, helmet and hardliner gloves. She also carries an Ares Predator III and her ever-present Katana. The helmet has a purple biohazard sticker slapped on the back of it. When outside of work she likes to dress in jeans and a t-shirt or blouse. Typical barrens girl street ware really. She also has a number of Tacoma Wings combat bike jerseys.

Surprisingly Glide has some pretty extensive mods. Definitely more than your typical ganger or street tough. The most obvious are her cyber feet, complete with cyber skates. She moves with the incredible speed of someone with boosted reflexes and a smartgun link adorns her right palm. If one were to get a good look at her, they might even notice that her supple, soft skin sometimes folds in a strange manner, denoting some kind of dermal plating or sheathing. She doesn’t discuss where she, as such a young girl got all of her cyber modifications and if asked she will either turn the conversation to a different subject or just plain ignore the person.

When making deliveries Glide will use every means at her disposal to get her package delivered on time. Her skates allow her to use back roads and alleys that a lot if the couriers cannot and she has even been known to carry a modified and magnified grappling gun that she uses to harpoon passing vehicles to catch rides.

Glyph
Viper

Viper is an elven female of medium height, with a slender build.

Her hair is dyed a dark green, worn short and spikey but with a long braided ponytail. She has bright green eyes and pale skin. She usually wears a flourescent light green lipstick. She has extensive tattooing. A design of snakes coiled around vines, both green but with vivid red flowers, encircle her navel, and seem to be part of a bigger design. Her forearms are encircled with vivid metallic holofoil tattoos of shiny barbed wire, with ruby bursts that look like blood.

Viper is usually an incongruous combination of perky goth and grungy goth. Black, studded synthleather, black workboots and jeans, then something like a pink "death kitty" T-shirt. She also usually wears armbands and loop earrings (and a few other piercings) of plastic in rainbow hues. However, she can (and does) dramatically change her look quite often.

Viper is bouncy, almost hyperactive, and often says or does things to shock people or to push their buttons, usually with an impish grin. She is cute and clever, but also seems a bit fickle and shallow at times. She doesn't work for Hermes as a courier, but she does hang out there, or at some of the same after-hours spots that his workers hit, so she is a familiar face. Hermes has used her for a few jobs requiring magical backup. Her main motivation seems to be picking up some quick cash to party with.
Bastard
Johnson, Mister Johnson

Johnson, as everyone calls him, is 6'0 medium slender build, looks to be in his late 20's or early 30's. His dark hair is usually kept short and clean cut, his facial hair, when there, is always neat and trimmed. He dresses nice, usually the best dressed at the meet, but isn't the face always? You cant help but like the guy, though he keeps to himself, but again, what shadowrunner tells you their life story? They say that your eyes are a window to your soul, if you look in his blues, you wont see nothing but a man of sorrow. For a lost love, or a lost life, maybe he will tell you one day.

Very charming and extremely good looking, the six foot Johnson is the poster child for tall, dark and handsome. For some reason or another, just about everybody just loves the guy. He dresses extremely well, even working for Hermes, but at the meet, he makes the Mr. Johnson, look cheap and out of place.
He seems to have a way with people, if it weren't for his cyber, you would swear it was magic of some sort. Johnson always says the right thing at the right time, which tends to get the team more cash, and more info than normal.
Word is, he used to work for one of the megacorps, but he will never tell you. That is one thing he wont talk about, his past. Not out of fear, maybe out of embarrassment, loosing all that to work as a bike courier, and low level shadowrunner. The rumors of his past life are probably true, based on his over eagerness (even more than your average hood rat) to want to stick it to the man, especially when it comes to certain companies.
Sedna
Kai ("Mouse")

He's only just started working for Hermes, newer even than Glide, since he's only been there, like, a week. (One of the other couriers, who's gone now, had the habit of saying "like", and he's picked it up, a little, not yet to the annoying level. But at least he's starting to lose that almost incomprehensible street gibberish he was talking when he first hooked up with the company.) He can't be that old, like maybe 12? 14? Everyone's taller than him, and he's scrawny besides. Someone came up with the nickname, and to Kai's annoyance, it stuck. He's an elf, more-or-less shoulder-length coarse dark brown (almost black) hair (he's started wearing it in a ponytail after he saw this with Glide); same colour eyes; and looks vaguely Native. Maybe. Sort of.

He and the job are a natural fit. He's still new to the bicycle, but so far he's only fallen once, that time when he tried to half-ride, half-slide it down a bannister skateboard style, but the tires had too much traction. (He's got a skateboard too, with metal wheels: when he's pushing its limits the fragging thing sprays sparks everywhere.) He broke his arm, that time, had it in a sling for, like, a day; and the next day he's already out of it and trying out balance limits again. As soon as he saw Glide's Rapid Transit outfit he's been after Hermes for an advance to get one of his own; and after Hermes saw the way he rode, he agreed. Over it he sometimes wears a lined duster, the bottom of which he's fringed. Kai thinks it looks cool. Everyone else thinks it looks like he's trying out for Tyee!

Nobody's yet seen him with it, but they have heard the sounds of a guitar sometimes, late at night. He's not bad with it. (He's crashing at the office until he can get a real place of his own, maybe with a roommate.)

His new toy is the wristphone. Screenshots, built-in mini-games, bells, whistles, rings. No one around the courier offices ever realised that wristphones could have so many different ringer tones ... or really wanted to. And then there was that time when the thing went off on a disco version of a Concrete Dreams hit and Just Would Not Shut Up --

From the first time Kai linked up with Viper -- when she happened to walk into the doorledge-poised bucket of water -- and she zinged him back by flashing him -- those two have been an irrepressible combination. It's not like he's got the hots for her; it's more like in some undefinable way they're kindred and complementary spirits. Like her, he's seriously hyperactive (if in a less "bouncy" fashion), with an intense and distinctly impish sense of humour. Together, the two of them get far too many ideas; and when they're working a tag-team distraction decoy, everyone else has learned to duck and cover. The only person they haven't targeted yet is Johnson: no one's really sure why, not even them. But even Viper has learned to check her belongings after she's been around Kai ... even though, unlike in most cases, Kai would give whatever-it-was back to her. Probably. The only two things they don't see eye-to-eye on are her penchant for partying and spending; vs. his dreams to see the world someday: but so far it's not been anything really serious.

[Glyph: I'll edit this out if you're not okay with it ...? But the personalities seemed such a natural match.]
Thomas
Steve

Steve is a quiet guy. His short, black hair – off the collar and ears – is combed straight all the way around. Brown eyes frame the straight elfin nose, in turn framed by the pointed ears that mark him as one of that breed.
He listens intently but rarely involves himself in a conversation. His two most remarkable traits are an annoying habit of reading over people’s shoulders and constantly whispering voice reminders or entering something into his pocket sec. Most common phrase “Got it.” in response to dispatch orders. His emotions seem to range from neutral to neutral – almost humorless and bleak. If asked “What’s wrong?” he’ll reply “Nothing.” and try to change the subject.
His bike is nothing special – adequate for the job – as is his appearance, dark blue trousers and a blue shirt. (Obviously an old security uniform but the company logo has been obscured.)
He doesn’t look to be the ‘kaf swilling, donut eating sort – his body seems to be very well toned; not overly muscled but not scrawny either.
After work he rides his bike to the parking garage down the street, leaving shortly in his dark green sports car with the bike strapped onto the carrier rack on the back.
Glyph
@Sedna: No problems. The crew is supposed to know each other, and nothing there that would be OOC for Viper.

(Note to Digital: I wrote in her background that she was uncomfortable around kids, mainly because she didn't know how to deal with them, but I was thinking more along the lines of little kids - a precocious teenager wouldn't make her feel awkward.)
Digital Heroin
Alright, with the last possible person bowing out for very understandable reasons, we're ready to go. I'll be posting the opener in the IC tonight, likely in an hour or so. I just need to re-work it, and beat my brain up. Too much editing lately.
Digital Heroin
The post'll be a bit longer... I'm going to slap in a copy of Barbed Wire, or Tank Girl, or something, to get a little inspiration going... well, to destress mainly... mind's on overdrive. Wish I had my copy of Johnny Neumonic. Post'll come up after the movie folks.
Bastard
That is a long movie!

Is your favorite book Shadows of North America cause it talks aboot you Canucks? smile.gif

Team: Everyones background kicks ass...but I feel my character doesnt quite fit in. You all are all so young and punk, and Johnson is a stick up the ass yuppy! biggrin.gif
Digital Heroin
The movie actually turned into a longass walk to drop off two movies to the base, so my roommate's watch could have something to... er... watch.

Fitting in isn't always about the attitude, eh, sometimes the circumstances are enough. Post'll be up soon.
Thomas
QUOTE (Bastard)
That is a long movie!

Is your favorite book Shadows of North America cause it talks aboot you Canucks?  smile.gif

Team:  Everyones background kicks ass...but I feel my character doesnt quite fit in.  You all are all so young and punk, and Johnson is a stick up the ass yuppybiggrin.gif

Hehe, I'm going to have to use that against you IC. rotfl.gif But only in fun!
Bastard
hey now--

smile.gif

just remember that everyone is suposed to like him...high charisma, lots of social edges. He just likes to fuck with the boss, cause the boss thinks he is hot drek.
Thomas
QUOTE (Bastard)
hey now--

smile.gif

just remember that everyone is suposed to like him...high charisma, lots of social edges.  He just likes to fuck with the boss, cause the boss thinks he is hot drek.

[ kidding mode on ]
Yeah, yeah. All you face types say that. Good looks, fancy clothes, charmed life – you just don’t know what it’s like to be a low pay working stiff…
[ kidding mode off ]
Besides, the IC post is only a thought, so unless the thought police are on patrol I see no problems with it, just needed a laugh and I really think Steve might have thoughts like that. wink.gif
Bastard
i know...im always in kidding mode
Suicide King
Hey, what's up? I was waiting for a pm, so I did not see this post before now...

Am I off the game or what's going on?

At any rate, I'll post my character description here and then go in the IC once I get confirmation here or by pm that I am actually in, considering that you actually did tell me that I was in.

EDIT: Scratch that, from the recruitment thread I can see that I indeed did not get in. You told me by pm that I was in, but I guess some mistake must have happened. Is this matter closed then, or is there still a possibility to play?
I rather liked the character I sent you, so it's a bit of a let-down...

Digital Heroin
There's still a spot open, and being held at the moment.

Anyone who knows how to teleport things, and would like to send me a copy of MITS to replace the one I seem to have lost (thus ruining the collection), feel free, eh. And no, despite my Adept fixation, MITS is not my favorite book.
Bastard
is it shadows of north america? they have canucks in there.
Digital Heroin
Nope, has been guessed, but only in PM, by someone outside of the game.
Bastard
can i have a hint?

is it shadowrun companion...it has adept stuff in there, and edges and flaws, shapeshifters and metavarients
Sedna
So we're allowed multiple guesses? biggrin.gif (I'm one of those who guessed SoNA earlier, in the other thread.) And I'll second the beg for a hint wink.gif
Slipshade
DNA/DOA Just because it is the best adventure ever written.

(My players still cringe when I mention it. smile.gif)
Bastard
DNA/DOA-is that the one with the spiders in the kiwi or something? Everyone got bit, and my stupid decker was left shooting thee spiders with some weak pea shooter. I think we crashed, cause they were on the plane or something. That was fun. Hehe.
Slipshade
It is the one were the runners get screwed in every possible way. The have to hide in the orc underground for a while and at the end of the adventure they have to leave Seattle because they are being hunted down by Aztechnology among others if they stay.

Like I said...

Best Adventure Ever. smile.gif

It is just brutal.

Slip
Bastard
I think this is the best adventure ever!

(extra karma?)hehe

This is by far the best group ever though, so far everyone is a team player and jumps right in on other peoples characters without changing them. Kick ass group.
Sedna
I'll be away from later on today through Tuesday or Wednesday. DH and everyone: just NPC me until then, so it doesn't hold up the action. Just assume that if there's trouble to be gotten into, Kai will be flirting with the edges of it.

Oh and DH, sorry about that link: it was a matter of a single capital letter. Fixed, now.
Bastard
Mr. DH...Where are you? We are so sad and lonely without out you.

Is anyone in the game interested in a chat based game once or twice a month?
Slipshade
Sorry, I just don't have the time for a chat based game.
Sedna
Mr. DH...Where are you? We are so sad and lonely without ... you.

Me two. Can't do too much that isn't inane chatter without you, DH smile.gif Don' even know what m' bike kin do yet.
Glyph
It looks like something unexpected probably came up for DH. I would post more IC, but at this point we really need Hermes' reaction before going on.

By the way, DH, since everyone else is guessing, I'll take a stab at your favorite book. I guess Target: Matrix, because it's got that sweeeet pic of that hot troll chick dressed up like a Catholic schoolgirl (Yowza!). Right?

... or maybe that's just me. biggrin.gif
Digital Heroin
I'm going to take your word on how sweet that pic is, and not check... cool.gif

Appologies for the delay, been a bit hectic... plus I just got a car, so I've been driving more... that's wearing off now, so focus I must, like Yoda I talk.

If y'all want to skip to the meet, just let me know, and let me know what you're up to in the interum with a brief bit.
Digital Heroin
I should end the suspense with the book... and I shall, or I'm afraid someone will drive themselves mad guessing... biggrin.gif Favorite book is SOTA: 2064, 'cause it's the book where Digital Heroin first makes a Shadowtalk appearance...
Bastard
HE IS BACK!!! OUR PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED! WE ARE TRUELY BLESSED, FOR TODAY, WE RUN. SHADOWRUN THAT IS.

I personally want to do the meet, cause thats all my character is good for. Plus I have loved the RP with the other players so far. I think our group is FKA!

Team Bike Couriers Rule!

EDIT-What time is it in game?
Sedna
Glad to know you're all right smile.gif
Slipshade
Bastard,

DH said skip to the meet not skip over the meet. smile.gif

Slip
Sedna
What does Kai know about Merciless Ming's? Three possibilities I can think of, toss out any you don't think apply.

City Knowledge: 4
Odds and Ends of KN: 5, 1
Courier Company Stuff (ever heard of it before around this place? or delivered there?): 3

And yup: it's Johnson that Kai is calling "boss".
Slipshade
Heh, you beat me to it Sedna

I have...

Mafia Controlled Establishments 5
Puyallup 3
Redmond 2

If any of those help

Side note: I won't be able to post IC until later today. I plan on going along with Johnson's plan, so if I hold anything up, just NPC me for a bit.

Slip
Sedna
Oops -- DH, when you said "rolls to a spoiler", did you mean you wanted those rolls spoiler'ed in the IC thread?
Bastard
Good thinking-I use my shadowrun meets/setups 3-Have I ever heard of or used this place?
[ Spoiler ]
Thomas
Not that Steve would know anything about Ming's unless the team has already done some business there - I suppose he might look up the place on the home computer when he goes to get ready. Mostly interested in the strictness of any weapons policy or dress code and where the place is located.
Thomas
Glyph - Well, it depends on what type of place Ming's is - IMO a goth elf chick wouldn't stand out too much, sure, maybe in a crowd of corp suits - but this is 2064, with surge and all. I don't know, but I just think that with everyone trying to be different it would all look the same. Like Hawaiian shirts - at a black tie function they stand out, but on the beach it's just another shirt.
So, it depends on the type of place Ming's is as to who would be giving whom fashion tips. wink.gif
Sedna
just think that with everyone trying to be different it would all look the same.

You've hit the nail on the head, Thomas. Mass-marketing individualism! But anyway, Kai's already got his fashion statement, and he's sticking to it. Some places it blends, some places it sticks out.

Btw does Kai know where "The Shore" is? (Kind of important, that!)
[ Spoiler ]
Glyph
If it's that same Merciless Ming's from that full-page picture in the main book, no one will stand out. There's a guy with two grenades on his chest, and a troll carrying an axe over his shoulder, and no one's even giving them a second glance.

Viper is definitely not very inconspicuous, though. Distinctive style is one of her flaws. She will generally stand out one way or another. For a date, even a pretend one, she would probably insist on giving Steve some kind of makeover, either to look like a fellow punk or goth, or to look like a slightly tacky slumming suit. She's a bit vain and shallow, so she wouldn't want an "average Joe" on her arm.

By the way, if Viper doesn't know where Ming's or The Shore are, she will boot up her telecom at home, just to get the directions.
Digital Heroin
Rolling clarification: If you're asking for knowledge, post the rolls here, no spoiler needed, but rolls that are blended with IC action, spoiler at the bottom of the IC post, for ease of sorting things out.

Ming's isn't exactly familiar to any of the runners, aside from them knowing it's a restaurant. No mob ties, only word of mouth to advertise, and it's too low rent for one of Johnson's prior meets.

Clarification on The Shore? I don't recall setting that one up, was that a player chosen spot?
Glyph
Yeah. Bastard's character, Johnson, wanted the team to meet there after Kai and Glide checked out Ming's.
Digital Heroin
Ok, would be a case then where I've got no relevant knowledge, unless it's in a sourcebook, eh.
Sedna
Mmm. Are we to self-rule on anything not directly run-related, then? It's fine by me either way -- just need to know for flow purposes. (And when you are able, I'd still appreciate an answer to that last PM, DH.)
Bastard
I guess no one listens to The Dead Milkmen then...seeing no one has heard of The Shore smile.gif
[ Spoiler ]

Kai will be able to go to the Sand Bar there wobble.gif
Sedna
No. Sorry smile.gif

I'm also going to assume, for flow purposes, that
Ming's isn't exactly familiar to any of the runners etc

still means that we know where it it, just nothing about it. If I'm wrong in this, please correct me and tell me what to change.

[ Spoiler ]

Thomas
If it is the place on p. 315 of BBB, we’re hosed. How could any meet go down at a street vender’s counter? Maybe they have an indoor facility, or, as I intend to play, the illustration is only one of many Ming’s street-sides, and there is one main indoor restaurant.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012