Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bioware and the body Index
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Maimer
I have been out of running SR for many years. I frequented the site a lot when I was running . . I stumbled on it a few days ago and now have the itch to start up another campaign.

About 2 years ago a bunch of my books where left where they could get wet. I ended up tossing about 7 or 8 because of the water damage. Anyway the question I have is this.

When a runner buys bio-ware, they pay price in the amount of body they have. Now, as they get this new bio-ware installed, it could potentally raise that body rating (I do allow my players to go above ratial max, but at a higher price than the SR3 book suggests. Trying to keep the munchkins to a minimum) Do they use the "base" body rating for the total amount of bioware they could possibly purchase, or do they use the new Bio-Moded body attribute to determine the total amount of Bio-Ware they could have?
Da9iel
I can't answer that as far as SR2 goes, but in SR3 it's a fixed limit of 9 points of bio-index. I believe (no books) that essence loss gets added to bio-index to reach that limit. Regardless, your question is moot in SR3. In SR2 I would limit it to the pre-bioware level (personal call).
Critias
Bio Index is Essence + 3. If someone has no chrome, they can have 9 points of bioware. If someone has only got .5 Essence left, they've only got room for 3.49 bioware.

And they can exceed that total, and have more Bio Index, but then there's complications as their nifty implanted goodies start to break down, malfunction, etc.
Maimer
Thanks guys.

My main SR3 book was one I had to toss. Sucks to be me. cyber.gif
Edward
As regards to body increasing biowear as far as I know there is none.

There is biowear that gives more dice for damage resistance tests and that gives extra dice for resing diseases or poisons but as far s I know nothing that increases body overall.

Edward
toturi
QUOTE (Edward)
As regards to body increasing biowear as far as I know there is none.

There is biowear that gives more dice for damage resistance tests and that gives extra dice for resing diseases or poisons but as far s I know nothing that increases body overall.

Edward

Suprathyroid Gland.
Cold-Dragon
Hmm, I don't have bioware books, but this is amusing enough that I'll ask....

Does bioware actually reduce any scores at all, or does it just have a potential limit (essence +3, etc)? Or is it essentially more friendly cyberware that leaves more creative selections?
Club
The mage can patch you up with less of a problem

Unfortunately, said mage better know Cure Disease and Antidote, becaue you get sick a lot and toxins put you down fast.

4-5.5 essence and the rest of the index full of bioware does make a sammy scary though.
hahnsoo
You can get up to 9 points of Bioware. If you go above your Essence Index, which is Essence + 3, you start taking harsher penalties for having Bioware (including Bioware overstress, which gives ALL bioware a Light stress equivalent), but you can still stock up to 9 points (Maximum Bioware, M&M p 77). Above 9 points, your body dies.
Rev
Isn't there a nano-ware in sota63 that gives +1 body for about .5 bio index too?

But, yea it is more complicated in sr3. The reasonable limit is 9 total cyber & bio (you can go beyond that, but it is like getting move by wire 3, suicidal). I think there were also really bad (fatal or nearly so) effects if you have more bio index than your body, but most charachters who load up on bioware have at least 4 natural body and thats as much bioware as nearly all heavily augmented charachters get so it isn't something you run into much. It is complicated, but well explained in the book.

Also if you want cybered charachters to suck a bit less than they do in m&m just pretend the 9 of which 6 can be cyber and body can be bio are absolute limits ignoring all the other stuff. You will be pretty close to the real rules other than high-bioware sam's being hidiously veulnerable to toxins and very hard to heal with far less book-keeping.
hahnsoo
Bioware overstress has nothing to do with the Body Attribute. It is indirectly proportional to Essence. The more cyber you have, the less Bioware you can safely shove into your body before you start taking the awful penalties. If you take more than 9 points of Bioware, you simply die.
Cain
Isn't there a nano-ware in sota63 that gives +1 body for about .5 bio index too?

Sorta. There's genetech that raises your maximums for body, but you still have to spend karma to get the bonuses.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012