Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boosted Reflexes and Synaptic Accelerator
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
toturi
QUOTE (Critias @ Mar 29 2005, 02:36 PM)
Third:  Physads really aren't all that, especially when we're all sitting here talking about initiative.  It's true, cyberware scanners don't bug them.  Whoopty doo.  They really aren't very fast.  I promise.  Their power points are much better spent elsewhere;  any sammie who dedicates 5/6ths of his augmentations towards speed will blow out of the water any adept who does the same.

An unwounded adept with Quickstrike WILL(there is no roll here, it is "I will take the first fragging action, frag you very much, Mr MBW-4") move first. And once you are dead, let's talk about how much your speed helped you.

By canon, a person with MBW-4 accumulates Stress once a month. And you know what? Recovering from surgery can take a month. Well, what do you know... before you even get to use your nifty cool MBW-4, you are taking 1 point of Stress and you know what? Whenever you take Stress(any Stress, even the Stress you took for that wound to your left pinky), you are looking at an unaugmented Willpower(8) test to avoid TLE-x.
SpasticTeapot
QUOTE (Critias @ Mar 29 2005, 01:36 AM)
QUOTE (SpasticTeapot @ Mar 28 2005, 07:04 PM)
Some of us don't like being hyper-spastic all the time. Also, a mage with some powerful electrical mojo can slow you down very,very fast. A physad does not have this problem.
Also, good luck getting through cyberware scanners; you're going to need it.

First: The rules for cybernetic reaction enhancement causing twitchiness really aren't that bad. Maybe I just play with a higher Willpower sammie than most people, but I never, once, had anything even remotely like a problem because of it (this was with a 20 reaction character, to give you an idea of how augmented he was).

Second: You're harping an awful lot (this is like the second or third post of yours I've noticed very recently) about how electricity screws up cyberware. You're not, according to canon, correct here. It sounds like a particularly brutal house rule, but it also sounds like you have something against mundanes and for magicals (from other posts). I'm not sure if your attitude shaped your game table's rules, or if playing under these rules shaped your attitude: it's one or the other, I think.

Third: Physads really aren't all that, especially when we're all sitting here talking about initiative. It's true, cyberware scanners don't bug them. Whoopty doo. They really aren't very fast. I promise. Their power points are much better spent elsewhere; any sammie who dedicates 5/6ths of his augmentations towards speed will blow out of the water any adept who does the same.

Yes, cyberware scanners are a problem. But the same can be said of packing a smartlink, nevermind Wired or MBW or what-have-you.

First, you have to remember that an electrical spell will knock down your cyber a few notches. Mages tend to know electrical spells for this reason.

Second, you forgot the ability to initiate. With a few initiations, characters can reach insane levels of improved reflexes. (I'm allowing up to 5 at a total cost of 10 magic). If you stick with cannon, with killing hands: deadly and a bunch of dice pumped into unarmed combat, improved reflexes III will let you kill 6 people per turn by unleashing your uber-fu on them...alll without setting off a weapons detector.

Third:
In addition, this crazy GM rules that if a player purchases a .5-point ability, they can "bond" to a normal weapon in the same manner that one would a Weapon Focus, by spending karma. Although technically more of a pain in the ass than a smartlink, this gives a phys-ad gunbunny a major advantage once you consider the fact he can roll 12 dice on his automatic shotgun tests, even if he only has the equivalent of Wired Reflexes II plus a really high natural reaction. Sure, they can't hit as many targets, but those they do are toast. (Even with a pistol.) Sure, he's stuck spending karma whenever his weapons goes kaput, but it keeps down the size and makes for interesting roleplaying.
(Street Sam: Quick! Ditch the shotgun! Physad Gunbunny: Noo! Never!
Physad then jumps out of car in moving traffic.)

EDIT:
I'm going by cannon, but I'm pretty sure that cybertechnology does not like electricity. Although this might only cost you a point or two of reaction, fixing said cyberware (especially alphaware MBW systems) is darned expensive, and can cut into the profit of your run big time. Physads only require a quick visit to the doctor, takes two asprin, and is good as new in the morning.
Critias
So, right. You're playing in a game full of pro-Adept house rules, and talking about it while everyone else is talking about a canon game. That's what I thought.
Cain
First, you have to remember that an electrical spell will knock down your cyber a few notches. Mages tend to know electrical spells for this reason.

Not exactly. Electricity-based attacks have the potential to cause more stress than normal attacks, but they still have to cause a wound effect in order to do so.

Second, you forgot the ability to initiate. With a few initiations, characters can reach insane levels of improved reflexes. (I'm allowing up to 5 at a total cost of 10 magic).  If you stick with cannon, with killing hands: deadly and a bunch of dice pumped into unarmed combat, improved reflexes III will let you kill 6 people per turn by unleashing your uber-fu on them...alll without setting off a weapons detector.

Um, no. By canon, Improved Reflexes caps out at level 3. Even with the ability to initiate, an adept is capped out at far short of what a speed sammie can achieve. Also, initiating melee combat requires a complex action, not a simple one. There's no way a physad can achieve an initiative score of over 50, so they can't possibly initiate that many attacks in a turn.

Physads only require a quick visit to the doctor, takes two asprin, and is good as new in the morning.

Hardly. A deadly wound for a physad means a chance for magic loss, on top of any wound effects he might have recieved. A quick trip to the doctor won't fix magic loss.
Shockwave_IIc
Not to mention the +2 Tn's for any and all healing (Barring Spells)
SpasticTeapot
QUOTE (Cain)

Not exactly. Electricity-based attacks have the potential to cause more stress than normal attacks, but they still have to cause a wound effect in order to do so.

Second, you forgot the ability to initiate. With a few initiations, characters can reach insane levels of improved reflexes. (I'm allowing up to 5 at a total cost of 10 magic).  If you stick with cannon, with killing hands: deadly and a bunch of dice pumped into unarmed combat, improved reflexes III will let you kill 6 people per turn by unleashing your uber-fu on them...alll without setting off a weapons detector.

Um, no. By canon, Improved Reflexes caps out at level 3. Even with the ability to initiate, an adept is capped out at far short of what a speed sammie can achieve. Also, initiating melee combat requires a complex action, not a simple one. There's no way a physad can achieve an initiative score of over 50, so they can't possibly initiate that many attacks in a turn.

Physads only require a quick visit to the doctor, takes two asprin, and is good as new in the morning.

Hardly. A deadly wound for a physad means a chance for magic loss, on top of any wound effects he might have recieved. A quick trip to the doctor won't fix magic loss.

I'm probbably the first to admit that I'm biased twoards physads. Why? They're hanicapped, and the ability to improve their combat power after they've "maxed out" their speed is what differentiates a powerful shadowrunner from a weak one. Even with my house rules, they're pretty much sunk in a gunfight unless they can get surprise and nab a 16-die pistol attack with enough successes to kill the attacker instantly. Otherwise, they're machinegun fodder. Besides, magical characters can now tack on tons of cyberware with little or no penalty due to geasa; why not emulate the effects so that there's less temptation to munchkinize?
(note: I only created the first two abilities after tinkering with a physad gunbunny to the point where he could kill anything, and fast, too. Using the combination of cheap cyberware and bioware mentioned in this thread, and a set of smartlinks and cybereyes, you can have a crazy-fast physad with THREE POINTS left over for boosting your shotgun tests to a whopping twelve dice. Now, which is worse: Letting physads go fast and use smartguns by spending lots and lots of time and karma on it, or letting them do both right off the bat? You be the judge.)
Secondly, I'm pretty sure it's possible to get six attacks using cannon rules.
First, be an elf. Second, get that edge that boosts your attribute maximums really, really high. Initiate several times, and put all of the points into boosting quickness.
So:
4 initiations+4 points base=+32 max. quickness
+7 base
=39 quickness total.
Then, average with intelligence. Use the "add one stat point" edge in the companion to get it up to 7.
Reaction=24
Then, add the bonus from improved reflexes III.
Reaction=30
Initiative=4d6+30, or a maximum number of 54. That's six attacks with killing hands: serious, no? Of course, you're going to be unconcious in a round or two..but you'll be attacking 6 times per turn.

Critias
Well, this thread's turned fairly ridiculous.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (SpasticTeapot)
First, be an elf. Second, get that edge that boosts your attribute maximums really, really high. Initiate several times, and put all of the points into boosting quickness.
So:
4 initiations+4 points base=+32 max. quickness
+7 base
=39 quickness total.
Then, average with intelligence. Use the "add one stat point" edge in the companion to get it up to 7.
Reaction=24
Reaction=30
Initiative=4d6+30, or a maximum number of 54. That's six attacks with killing hands: serious, no? Of course, you're going to be unconcious in a round or two..but you'll be attacking 6 times per turn.

Where did that 39 quickness come from. Even a Night One with exceptional Attribute and Atribute Boost is limited to 18 Quickness.
Cain
I only created the first two abilities after tinkering with a physad gunbunny to the point where he could kill anything, and fast, too. Using the combination of cheap cyberware and bioware mentioned in this thread, and a set of smartlinks and cybereyes, you can have a crazy-fast physad with THREE POINTS left over for boosting your shotgun tests to a whopping twelve dice. Now, which is worse: Letting physads go fast and use smartguns by spending lots and lots of time and karma on it, or letting them do both right off the bat? You be the judge.)

So, you're complaing that adepts are too powerful by canon, because your house rules make it so? I'm really not getting your point here.

Not as an adept, but let's check your numbers.
First, be an elf. Second, get that edge that boosts your attribute maximums really, really high.

If we have a Night One elf, he can start with a Quickness of 8. With Bonus Attribute Point and Exceptional Attribute, we can start with a 9 and have a max of 14. You can only take each edge once, so we're capped out at 14.
Initiate several times, and put all of the points into boosting quickness.

In order to raise our quickness from 9 to 14, we need to spend 150 karma. Once we're at the racial max, adept powers can't raise it any further, so we've hit our limit, with or without initiations.

We can't take the Exceptional Attribute edge twice, so Intelligence is restricted to 6. (6+14)/2= 10; a nice base reaction, but hardly overpowering.

10 + 6 = 16. With 4d6 initiative dice, we cap out at a max initiative of 40, good for 4 actions per turn. There's no way he can initiate 6 melee attacks.
Shockwave_IIc
Actually its 20 (Exceptional + Phenotype Alteration) 10 * 2 For Attrib boost.

Not that it disproves your post
toturi
Night One + Exceptional Quickness (Edge) + Exceptional Quickness (SURGE) + Exceptional Quickness (Penotypic Alteration) = 11

Attribute Boost = 11*2 = 22

EDIT: Close, Shockwave, but no cigar.
Shockwave_IIc
You sure you can do that? Otherwise you can go Quick healer Edge, Qucikhealer Surge

-4 Tn's to healing? YES PLEASE!!
toturi
The Edge becomes a Positive Effect, no longer an Edge per se. Otherwise, even Penotypic Alteration is also useless, because the geneware gives the Edge as a gene alteration.
Critias
But -- again -- none of those edges, base stats, etc, are anything a mundane can't do just as easily. And then the mundane has many more, and much better init boosters available to him.

The one-trick-pony Quick Strike notwithstanding, Adepts still lose out when all you're trying to do is make someone fast. I'm not saying it's a good thing, I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm just saying it is.
DrJest
QUOTE (Critias)
But -- again -- none of those edges, base stats, etc, are anything a mundane can't do just as easily. And then the mundane has many more, and much better init boosters available to him.

The one-trick-pony Quick Strike notwithstanding, Adepts still lose out when all you're trying to do is make someone fast. I'm not saying it's a good thing, I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm just saying it is.

To be honest, if I'm making a physad I'll probably stick with Impr Ref 1 or 2. The one good thing to come out of the new initiative system is that a huge initiative score isn't as mandatory as it once was, and tbh I have better things to spend power points on. The extra two points between IR:2 and IR: 3 will buy me, for say a pistol adept (my favourite kind) another couple of levels of IA: Pistols and four, count them four improved senses (I like Vision Mag, Enhanced Hearing, Lowlight and Improved Scent myself, but hey smile.gif ).

Reflexes are even less a major issue for a melee adept, simply because he's walking that line between dishing out the smackdown and getting smacked down in turn. Besides, saving a couple of points lets you add some mystic armour and maybe cap out your IA.
Catsnightmare
QUOTE (BrazilRascal)
Also, Boosted Reflexes is a one-time thing. Once you put it in, you can never replace it or upgrade it.

Show me anywhere in SR3 (or any 3rd edition book) that it says you can not upgrade Boosted Reflexes.

And as it has been said you can use Genetech to remove it.
Glyph
On page 300 of the main book, it describes Boosted Reflexes as a "one-time electrochemical treatment". To me, that would seem to preclude upgrades. Of course, since you can get it removed with genetech, you can always do that, then get a higher version of Boosted Reflexes to replace it. But that roundabout way is the only way you can really "upgrade" them.

Adepts have decent initiative, but pure speed is one of the areas where they can't approach a sammie (but their own initiative is nothing to sneeze at, either). They have their own niches and specialties, and are more effective against some things (Killing Hands makes them much more effective against things like spirits), but a sammie is usually a much better generalist - toughness, speed, and improved weapon targetting in one lethal package.

I'll be honest. I prefer adepts because they're so much easier to create than sammies are.
Gilthanis
QUOTE (Charon @ Mar 27 2005, 12:16 AM)
Well, let's compare :

Synaptic Accelerator 2 + bossted 3

Cost : 290 000 nuyen.gif
Essence + BE : 3.8
Initiative : 4D6+2 (Avg : 16)

Wired 3

Cost :  500 000 nuyen.gif
Essence : 5
Initiative : 3D6+6 (Avg : 16.5)

Using Wired 3 as baseline, Synaptic 2 + Bossted 3 is :

42% cheaper moneywise
24% cheaper essencewise
3% slower

Wired 3 costs 30 303 nuyen.gif  per average point of initiative it provides and .3 essence for the same.

Boosted 3 + Synaptic 2 costs 18 205 nuyen.gif  per average point of initiative it provides and .24 essence for the same.

A final way to look at it is that Wired 3 cost an additional 210 000 nuyen.gif and 1.2 in essence to give you on average an additional  .5 in initiative.  (Edit) On the upside, Wired 3 do not increase the TN of disease and healing by 1. 

Still, I think Synaptic + Boosted is much too cost efficient.

Sorry for not replying on this sooner. If you are truly looking for cheese in your numbers, you can also pick up used cyberware at half cost (excluding cultured bioware and boosted reflexes which really couldn't be reused). Now the used gear option does not exclude alpha grade, so you can also rework your numbers to get a better scenario. Since used gear really doesn't make that much of a problem in game, it makes since to by used alphaware for the same cost as new standard gear. I think that makes a lot of since to do considering that would bring the essence cost of wires 3 down to 4 essence loss instead of 5.
SpasticTeapot
Used cyberware can screw you up pretty bad. I'm not sure of the specifics.

For the record, my reason for giving an adept the ability to become absurdly fast after some initiation is because it's the only way to keep players from just cybering themselves at character creation. After all, why start on the path of the burnout when you could become faster and more accurate just by spending an absurd amount of karma?

If someone wants to know why I'm giving them Smartlinks, there's a good reason: It's a great way to soak the character for karma, and cause some realistic roleplaying. A character that has "bonded" to a favorite weapon or two is not likely to give that weapon up; the player will do the same because they don't want to spend any more karma. This also makes it less likely that the character will buy a plethora of weapons (Streetline Specials for easily-concealed killing; Manhunters for blowing away trolls, etc.) , instead sticking primarily with one weapon which they use as best they can. (This also requires the character to use tactics; a character who favors a heavy pistol will usually try to advance towards the target while maintaining cover so they can get a shot as opposed to simply plugging away with an assault rifle instead.)
And, in case you have not noticed, the largest benifit granted is a -1 target number modifier over that of an ordinary laser sight. The character can save a few actions by automatically adjusting things like fire rate and ejecting clips, but I rule that the former can be changed on the pistol grip itself (making it a Free Action) if you pay a large fee for electronic modification, and the latter can be automatically programmed into guns if you pay the small fee for an ammo counter.

In other words, these are both just ways to make physad characters actually play physads. A few hundred karma is required to get speed above levels gained by buying Alphaware synaptic+boosted, but the character will actually be an amazingly good shot as opposed to a street sammy with some extra dice.
Of course, I'm also getting rid of Geasa at character creation, and this is my little way of letting physads become more powerful than cybermunchies-if they workreally, really[b]hard[/b}. After all, even with Enhanced Reflexes IV (7+ karma cost), a bunch of extra weapon dice, and a shotgun for a weapon focus, you're still going to be pretty evenly matched against, say, a street sam with MBW 4, smartlinks, cybereyes, titanium bone replacement, some nasty bioware of your choice, a rocket launcher, panther cannon, HMG with absurd recoil comphensation, and a hyper-enhanced assault rifle, all betaware or cultured or made from scratch by an armorer. This is character that is more than obtainable if you've been playing long enough to obtain the absurd amounts of karma required to initiate a bunch of times. (Plus, the street sammy is also likely to have some pretty crazy high skills in a bunch of different weapons if they've been playing that long.)

Besides, just because I'm partial to physads (but want to discourage cybered physads) does'nt mean that anyone I'm GMing for will even want to play one. A good street samurai with fast reflexes and good solid skills in many weapons can easily outperform a physad at chargen, and they can still improve a great deal before the cost:benifit ration becomes insane.
Critias
Why not just have your Adepts use the published rules from SotA '64? All the stuff your house rules seem to be letting them do (bonding to weapons, smartlink-esque free action stuff) concerning firearms is covered there.
Tanka
QUOTE (SpasticTeapot)
For the record, my reason for giving an adept the ability to become absurdly fast after some initiation is because it's the only way to keep players from just cybering themselves at character creation. After all, why start on the path of the burnout when you could become faster and more accurate just by spending an absurd amount of karma?

Because the karma can be better spent elsewhere?

And... Keee-rhist! Who'd'a thunk somebody wanted to play a burnout. You know, for the sake of roleplaying?

I mean, your game and all... But going off on a tangent about how 'ware is bad and Adepts are better because they are because they are (yes, that was on purpose) simply because you've houseruled them to be a lot better both at chargen and in the long run?

Even with your 10 points going towards 5 ranks of Wired-equivalent, who needs it? +5d6 +10? Why? 10 points are better spent in many other places. I could see using 3 points for the Wired 2-equivalent and then throwing your points in other spots, like, say... Improved Ability or Astral Perception, maybe?

I dunno. Maybe it's just me, but... When I need speed, I don't need 6 initiative dice and 10 bonus reaction dice. 3 and 4, respectively, are just fine. Anything more just makes it looks like you have money to burn on useless things.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (SpasticTeapot)
Besides, magical characters can now tack on tons of cyberware with little or no penalty due to geasa; why not emulate the effects so that there's less temptation to munchkinize?

The only "munchkiny" geas in MitS is the Talisman Geas, and then only if you do something really dumb like allow it to apply to a piece of 'ware or something, which no sane GM would ever allow. I have a decker/shaman in a game with a glasses Talisman; I think it's balanced first off because he had gotten cybereyes and the combination is certainly going to turn some heads, and second because he must be wearing the glasses (and usually fiddling with/adjusting them) when casting spells. If he ever loses/breaks the Talisman (which can easily happen, being a pair of glasses), then the geas is broken for the 2-3 weeks it takes to special order a new pair, that particular style of frame--and indeed glasses in general--no longer being commonly produced.

That is how you de-munchkinize geasea: you make them real, concrete restrictions. Saying that throwing a punch is a Gesture Geas on your Killing Hands power is *not* a properly de-munchkinized Geas. Such a Geas, not really being a restriction, doesn't really boost the mage/adept's ego enough to allow him to act as if he fufilled a Geas, and so it wouldn't actually work. Remember that geasea are primarily psychological; it's about fufilling a self-imposed restriction, and using the ego-boo gained from fufilling that restriction to cast spells/use powers that you may have lost. If the player insists on actively trying to avoid fufilling a geas or trying to be munchkiny about his geasea then you just point him out to the second column of p. 33 in MitS: basically he's deliberately ignoring the restrictions imposed by his own geasea, meaning he gives them up and starts on te path to becoming a burnout.
Cain

Because you can live to earn that absurd amount of karma?

In other words, these are both just ways to make physad characters actually play physads.

I've have absolutely no trouble getting people to play physads; even under SR1 & 2 when most powers were much more expensive. Physads make great specialists; they can start with 13 dice to a combat skill, without adding any 'ware. (They can go to 15 with a reflex recorder and enhanced articulation.) That's pretty damn powerful.

Look, physads aren't good generalists. That's the role for sammies. And they're not good tanks, that's the role for cyber-trolls. But they do make damn good snipers, or stealth specialists, or so on. If you use the expanded Improved Ability chart, they can even be decent techies. But they're meant to be the best in only one or two things; that balances with the sammie's role as a generalist.
I mean, your game and all... But going off on a tangent about how 'ware is bad and Adepts are better because they are because they are (yes, that was on purpose) simply because you've houseruled them to be a lot better both at chargen and in the long run?

Exactly my question. ST, why are you complaining about physads being too powerful with 'ware in canon, when it's only under your house rules that they become so?
SpasticTeapot
Because I'm about do GM for a bunch of Anime fans who I'm trying to convert to Shadowrun players. They're likely to want to play a non-cybered PC with generally good abilities, and I figure that it makes more sense to let them make an anime-style gunman instead of something cannon.

Also, the whole issue of geasa ONLY APPLIES AT CHARGEN. If a person wants to get some cyberware later (or has a darn good reason for cybering their adept), then so be it. However, essence-friendly reaction boosters take up less total magic than IR3, and make you go just as fast. Anyone with half a brain is likely to see this, and then make a super-fast character using alphaware boosted reflexes/cultured synaptic accellerator, a cheesy (and hard-to-lose, and inexpensive) talisman geas (A tin toe ring with a square lump of bone in it), which would leave them roughly 3 points of Magic left even after you throw in cybereyes and smartlinks. This leaves you with a very fast character with six extra dice in the weapon of their choice, and speed equivalent to that of a character who had just blown almost all of their starting magic into making themselves zippy. (And, due to the physad ability to boost quickness through the roof, they're likely to end up as fast-or faster than-as if they had pumped those points into enhanced reactions. )

Secondly, my modifications are nothing really special. For a total cost of 1 magic, a physad can get smartlinks and tricked-out cybereyes (and have some essence left over in that point; these two items can be had for a tiny total essence cost). Thermal and flare comphensation alone plus my "magi-smartlink" ability cost just as much magic with less of a benifit. They're still not as good as street samurai, but with one gun which they can use really well, they become a one-trick pony that can shoot really, really well with their weapon of choice.

The same applies for the reaction bonuses. Although IR4 would be neat-0 for a unarmed-combat type, a total essence cost of 7(!) make it all but inaccessible for most characters. It acts, more than anything else, as a sort of an incentive not to use cyberware because, if you take a Geas, upgrading IR2 to IR4 will only cost you 2.25 magic. (Any player smart enough to keep a character alive long enough to get the karma necessary to do this, and then actually spend it all at once, deserves the cookie.) It's still not MBW4, and it takes up almost all of your magical ability, but it allows for unarmed combat characters to mix it up with street samurai...and win.
(Also, please consider that, by this time, a street samurai would have beefed up weapon skills to about 9 or so, became an uber-awesome athelete, and shored up any weak points in the ability roster using the karma spent on making the character really, really fast. ).

Also, many people here say that physads should be one-trick ponies. I say: Why? Just because we paid FanPro (or WizKids or FASA depending on the time and viewpoint) 30$ for a set of rules does'nt mean we cannot edit them if we feel like it. I personally think that physads should be able to do things similar to that of a street samurai; their nifty physad abilities are cancelled out by the lack of such things as dermal plating, knowsofts/linguasofts, cyberarms, or crazy bioware. It might unbalance the game, but I'm trying to present an altenative

(Note: I'm far too cheap to buy a rulebook such as SOTA when it's going to be obsolete in six months. Instead, I'll buy a 3-ring binder and some printer paper, and write them up myself).
Critias
To be honest, I'm really not sure what anyone's still really talking about. The thread started as a discussion of what would be "brokenly fast" (or whatever) for raw init totals, then someone mentioned that Adepts were amazing OMG LOL speed ninja, and then...I dunno. I lost, like, a page and a half in the middle of some time warp, and suddenly all we're doing is figuring out -- just now -- that someone's been stating opinions wholly birthed in the realm of House Rule, because he doesn't like buying rulebooks or using rules (or something like that).

I lost track of what's going on, by this point. Are we trying to talk him down from his ledge, or just critiqueing his rules, or what? I could use some guidance, here. The conversation got away from me.
Cain
Because I'm about do GM for a bunch of Anime fans who I'm trying to convert to Shadowrun players. They're likely to want to play a non-cybered PC with generally good abilities, and I figure that it makes more sense to let them make an anime-style gunman instead of something cannon.

You can easily do an anime-style gunman via the standard adept rules. With full ambidexterity, a pistol adept becomes truly frightening. Besides which, I just got done watching Ghost in the Shell 2. Anime isn't necessarily opposed to cyber.
However, essence-friendly reaction boosters take up less total magic than IR3, and make you go just as fast. Anyone with half a brain is likely to see this, and then make a super-fast character using alphaware boosted reflexes/cultured synaptic accellerator, a cheesy (and hard-to-lose, and inexpensive) talisman geas (A tin toe ring with a square lump of bone in it), which would leave them roughly 3 points of Magic left even after you throw in cybereyes and smartlinks. This leaves you with a very fast character with six extra dice in the weapon of their choice, and speed equivalent to that of a character who had just blown almost all of their starting magic into making themselves zippy.

Then diallow the talisman geas. Besides which, why should they buy cybereyes? The adept improved sense mods tend to be better in just about every way. They might cost a bit more, but they count as natural, which significantly lowers most vision penalties.

Also, by canon, you can't have cultured bioware at chargen; and synaptic accelerators are already cultured, so you can't culture them again for additional body index reduction. This means adepts are capable, but not broken, via the canon rules.

Also, many people here say that physads should be one-trick ponies. I say: Why? Just because we paid FanPro (or WizKids or FASA depending on the time and viewpoint) 30$ for a set of rules does'nt mean we cannot edit them if we feel like it. I personally think that physads should be able to do things similar to that of a street samurai; their nifty physad abilities are cancelled out by the lack of such things as dermal plating, knowsofts/linguasofts, cyberarms, or crazy bioware. It might unbalance the game, but I'm trying to present an altenative

So, once again-- you're complaining about how broken physads are in canon, because you have high-powered house rules? You've described quite well why adepts are balanced against sammies-- sammies have certain advantages in certain areas. You appear to be deliberately unbalancing the game, then complaining about it.

I don't get it.

hyzmarca
Physads don't have to b eone trick ponys, they're just better as one trick ponys.
Physads shouldn't be equal to Samurai. they are two different types of character and they should be played differently. There are tradeoffs to be made with the choice of what type of character to play. Trying to give an adept the equivilant of everything a samurai has is pointless. One might has well just let everyone start out with the exact same stats. As for the Power Point cost of I3 vs the magic loss caused by other options. Yes, it is possible to make some options more efficient. However, magic isn't the only cost to cyberware. There is also money. Physads with enough money to waste on reaction enhancers are going to be lacking in skills or attributes. There are always tradeoffs.

I also agree that you should check out SOTA 64. It has a canon "magical smartlink" in the more of attunment metamagic. Its only available to initiates, however. I'm not sure if it stacks with vision mag and laser sights. If it does it actually provides better bonusesl than a smartlinkdoes. Someone please enlighten me.
Critias
There are also Adept powers in there (fairly inexpensive ones) that provide a lot of the smaller, less immediately noticable benefits (reloading as free actions, etc) that smartlinks grant.

I mean, seriously, Spastic. If you want to just keep house ruling stuff, that's fine (if, in the future, you make it more immediately clear when what you're discussing and putting forth as proof of something is a house rule, and everyone else is talking about canon). But there's a book out there that every Adept fan should have, and you don't have it.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (SpasticTeapot @ Mar 30 2005, 03:25 AM)
Anyone with half a brain is likely to see this, and then make a super-fast character using alphaware boosted reflexes/cultured synaptic accellerator, a cheesy (and hard-to-lose, and inexpensive) talisman geas (A tin toe ring with a square lump of bone in it),  which would leave them roughly 3 points of Magic left even after you throw in cybereyes and smartlinks.

Read my post on geasea and how to de-munchkinize them. If a Geas isn't really a restriction (eg. doesn't require a significant sacrifice or amount of attention by the user) then it's not a restriction and thus not really a Geas. Just because you want to make geasea cheap and easy to fufil in order to bolster your argument doesn't mean that they are or should be.
DrJest

QUOTE (SpasticTeapot)
Anyone with half a brain is likely to see this, and then make a super-fast character using alphaware boosted reflexes/cultured synaptic accellerator, a cheesy (and hard-to-lose, and inexpensive) talisman geas (A tin toe ring with a square lump of bone in it),  which would leave them roughly 3 points of Magic left even after you throw in cybereyes and smartlinks.

Things I want to see in SR4 - no more geasing away magic loss for cybernetic implantation. Besides my notorious dislike of cyberadepts biggrin.gif I feel it would actually help in the balance between awakened and cybered characters.
Eyeless Blond
Eh, I don't have a problem with geasea, so long as the geasea are *meaningful*. Remember, at least for mages, breaking a geas means a +1TN to all magical skills, as well as losing access to that magic point; that's a pretty significant drawback so long as it comes into play once in a while.

Adepts, though, should have a more significant drawback for breaking an involuntary geas than "just" losing access to that power and its Magic Point. Maybe something like -1 die to all Active Skill tests for each geas broken? That's not as bad as a +1TN, but it applies to more stuff so it kinda balances.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Eh, I don't have a problem with geasea, so long as the geasea are *meaningful*. Remember, at least for mages, breaking a geas means a +1TN to all magical skills, as well as losing access to that magic point; that's a pretty significant drawback so long as it comes into play once in a while.

Breaking one geas means breaking all geasa (MitS p33). So if you have multiple geasa than you are in a world of hurt.
mfb
no, no. that's permanently giving up geasa. just breaking them--not being able to find your talisman, but casting anyway--does not work that way.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (mfb)
no, no. that's permanently giving up geasa. just breaking them--not being able to find your talisman, but casting anyway--does not work that way.

Actually, NO, breaking one geas automatically breaks all of them, at least for mages: Or, rather, when you break a single geas you receive a penalty based on the number of geasea you have, rather than the number of geasea you broke:

QUOTE (MitS @ p. 33 "Fufilling Geasea")
When a character breaks atheir geasea, they can still perform magic, but at the reduced Magic Attribute Rating (-1 from their unmodified Magic Attribute for each geas they possess).
Additionally, if the character breaks even a single geas, he must add +1 to the target numbers of all Magical Skill Tests for each geas he possesses, for as long as the geas is broken.

In fact, since they specify unmodified Magic Rating, it could be interpreted that the hit to Magic is counted twice: you lose the virtual Magic Point, then you lose another one per geas you have for eash geas you broke. eek.gif
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 30 2005, 09:25 PM)
QUOTE (MitS @  p. 33 "Fufilling Geasea")
When a character breaks atheir geasea, they can still perform magic, but at the reduced Magic Attribute Rating (-1 from their unmodified Magic Attribute for each geas they possess).
Additionally, if the character breaks even a single geas, he must add +1 to the target numbers of all Magical Skill Tests for each geas he possesses, for as long as the geas is broken.

In fact, since they specify unmodified Magic Rating, it could be interpreted that the hit to Magic is counted twice: you lose the virtual Magic Point, then you lose another one per geas you have for eash geas you broke. eek.gif

Could also mean before the first loss was incurred, or before initation.
mfb
ah. missed that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012