Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No More Nuyen
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Xavier Grimwand
Greetings,

I just joined the forums today to make this post. smile.gif

*reeks of newbieness*

I believe that, in SR4, they (the Devs) should drop the currency of Nuyen, in favor of a more generic currency. Whether it is called: Cred, Credit(s), etc., as long as it does not sound like - or is drived from - any current currency used in the world today.

There is even a symbol for generic currency: ¤

P.S.
If this is known one way or the other, just hit me up-side the head. wink.gif
Kagetenshi
Eh? Why on earth?

~J
Nikoli
Aside from a few holdouts, nuyen is almost ambiguously accepted throughout the world. I've always run it as the terminals where you slot your stick just converts it to the local currency in those rare cases and when you receive money, it's converted back.
Patrick Goodman
It would also tend to require a rewrite of the world's history, which ain't happening.
Xavier Grimwand
*ahem*

The players that I've played with tend to call Nuyen ( New Yen ) "Dollars". In role-play, it would just sound better if the characters could refer to the currency as "Creds", simply, for example.

Favoring Yen is ... well ... favoritism, to say the least.
This at least levels the playing field.

And, I've ALWAYS thought that it was one of the silliest terms in Shadowrun.
Patrick Goodman
Be that as it may, Xavier, it still ain't happening.
Xavier Grimwand
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
It would also tend to require a rewrite of the world's history, which ain't happening.

Why would it require history to be re-written?!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Nuyen sometimes referred to as "Creds" in some of the verbage from the books' flavor-text?

Why would it be a bad idea to make that the standard?
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Xavier Grimwand)

Favoring dollars is also favoritism.

I fail to see any strength at all in your argument. Nuyen is a flavour for the currency and a strong emphasis in the background of the game as others have said.

Plus, there is still UCAS and CAS dollars in the game if you want to use that also.
Vuron
It's a holdover from a time when Japan Inc looked unstoppable of course nearly 20 years of stagnation has kinda lost that luster.

As dumb as a good number of the core assumptions of the setting might seem today (china and the EU imploding, a miniscule population group gaining control over the western united states and canada) they are intrinsic to the setting.

While I personally wouldn't mind a re-invention of the setting along the lines of a Ultimates version of Shadowrun that doesn't seem in the cards for SR4. Of course one could always make enough money to purchase the license and reinvent the setting but I suspect those people who want a setting that better fits with 2005 rather than 1990 might develop a netbook setting instead.

Of course this version might be the one in which enough people say I like the system but not the setting to make in become more of a generic system but I kinda doubt it.
Xavier Grimwand
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
QUOTE (Xavier Grimwand @ Mar 29 2005, 11:39 AM)

Favoring dollars is also favoritism.

I fail to see any strength at all in your argument.

Right. Calling it anything remotely resembling the "Dollar" would be favoritism -
And that is exactly what I'd like to avoid.
That is why I suggested it be renamed to "Credit(s)" or "Creds", officially.

And, this is not an argument - It is a suggestion. wink.gif
PBTHHHHT
Calling it credit is also favoritism... to the credit card companies! And to Star Wars and other Sci-fi stories. nyahnyah.gif

I view nuyen as a unique thing for Shadowrun.
Charon
QUOTE (Vuron @ Mar 29 2005, 11:42 AM)
While I personally wouldn't mind a re-invention of the setting along the lines of a Ultimates version of Shadowrun that doesn't seem in the cards for SR4.

I am happy whenever someone reference the Ultimates. biggrin.gif

A "Ultimate" SR universe would be very cool but I doubt the fanbase of shadowrun is in anyway comparable to Marvel's so sadly it probably would not be economically viable.

Could be something fan developped, though. Who knows.
Xavier Grimwand
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)

Yes... Certainly... But it's a hideous hideous word!
Yuck! dead.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Xavier Grimwand)

That's complete bull. Doubly so if you look at what they did with Japan.

~J
Solstice
What a terrible idea...shame on you. Do you work for the ACLU or something?
hermit
Aside from a few holdouts, nuyen is almost ambiguously accepted throughout the world.

So is the greenback. So? Does that make the greenback the world's only currency? I wouldn't know if it did. Last time I checked my wallet, it was full of Euros, and my bank account is, too.
There still are many currencies in the SR world. Europe has the ECU/Euro. UCAS has it's dollar (I guess CAS has a CAS dollar too), it's just not what it used to be. Azania has the Rand. Britain still has the Pound Sterling. Soviet-Russia-thingy has the ruble, if I remember Target - Smuggler Havens correctly. Except for the NAN and Japan's vassals in Manchuria and the Phillipines, few countries have given up the idea of a currency of their own, even if the Nuyen might be accepted too.

Changing Nuyen - a remnant of Cyberpunk's core assumption that Japan would rise to be superpower number one - an evil one of course (I could rave a long time about Cyberpunk's innate racism, but I will snip that) - to Dollar or Credit (now THAT's a ghastly word!) just to satisfy some overeager Americans or Scifi fanboys is idiotic.

Yeah, the core presumptions of hwo the world develops were all wrong. The US didn't disintegrate, the EU didn't disintegrate (yet), China rose to become the US' chief rival, and Japan suffers through the 15th year of economic slumber. But in the game world they did. You can always write a net book for another Shadowrun setting. Hell, I have a half finished one for Germany (and Europe) too, as a matter of fact, written when I read the Germany sourcebook first and was thoroughly pissed about just what a shitty piece of bovine excrement it was.

But that won't make it to canon, ever. Canon is based on what was written (Imperial Japan, US, EU and China disintegrating, wireless internet never invented, that megacorps-are-nations ruling, fusion power in 1998), and it cannot just be made to fit the real world because someone says "geez, I don't like this Japan inc. thing, it's favouritism, hey, let's change the currency to FunkyWingCommanderStarTrekJediCredits instead!" Canon background evolves (or, to word it better, should evolve) out of previous canonical material.

One thing I have always wondered about (and my group just assumes): Is there still hard currency? I imagine it difficult if there was none, as there would be no way to pay for anything if there wasn't a credstick booking thingy at the ready (or people had enormously bloated wallets with tons of checksticks in them). It would also make bribing and giving change to the scarescrow-like beggar practically impossible. I vaguely remeber somemthing about money chips in the Germany sourcebook and Sprawl Sites, but that's hardly up to date, so any answer would be appreciated.
Xavier Grimwand
QUOTE (hermit)
Changing Nuyen - a remnant of Cyberpunk's core assumption that Japan would rise to be superpower number one - an evil one of course (I could rave a long time about Cyberpunk's innate racism, but I will snip that) - to Dollar or Credit (now THAT's a ghastly word!) just to satisfy some overeager Americans or Scifi fanboys is idiotic.

No... I never said to change the Shadowrun currency to the "Dollar".
Yes... I suggested changing it to "Credit" or "Cred".
Yes... I am an American.
Yes... I am a fan of Science Fiction.

But why would you deliberately try to offend or insult me?
Kagetenshi
Credit is an improbable term anywhere. It's a catch-all for sci-fi writers who lack imagination.

~J
Tanka
Xavier, I have news for you...

SR was written in the 80's, when the biggest fear was that Japan would take over the world and force their currency (or some bastardization of it) on everyone -- hence nuyen.

It is the way it is. Switching it to creds would require a total history re-write, thusly making it not Shadowrun, but SR-in-name-only.

In your game, you can refer to it as creds. Nobody is stopping you. But why change the references in the corebook just to suit a few people? It makes no sense whatsoever.
Xavier Grimwand
QUOTE (tanka)
In your game, you can refer to it as creds. Nobody is stopping you. But why change the references in the corebook just to suit a few people? It makes no sense whatsoever.

You - and everyone else, hopefully - realize that...
In Shadowrun ... There is an item ... Called a "Cred Stick".

Yes - It's called the "Cred Stick", not the "Nuyen Stick".

Fancy, huh? wink.gif
Kagetenshi
Yes, and Credit Cards are called Credit Cards, not Dollar Cards. Your point?

Credit is the antithesis of currency. It's what you've got if you've got no currency but people believe you're good for it anyway. There's absolutely no reason a currency would ever be named after it.

~J
Smiley
QUOTE (Xavier Grimwand)
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT @ Mar 29 2005, 11:49 AM)

Yes... Certainly... But it's a hideous hideous word!
Yuck! dead.gif

Then use something else. You said yourself that your players already use 'dollars.' I doubt they'll change the whole system dating back to SR1 just because you don't like it, though.
Xavier Grimwand
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

Well, no. The closest thing(s) to a Cred Stick are Debit Cards and Check Cards.

Credit Cards, as you say, assume you're spending someone else's money.
Solstice
QUOTE (Xavier Grimwand)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Mar 29 2005, 01:24 PM)

Well, no. The closest thing(s) to a Cred Stick are Debit Cards and Check Cards.

Credit Cards, as you say, assume you're spending someone else's money.

holy carp man. eek.gif

He is saying that credit IS NOT CURRENCY so why would you call currency credit? or cred? Sheesh. proof.gif
Xavier Grimwand
QUOTE (Solstice)
He is saying that credit IS NOT CURRENCY so why would you call currency credit? or cred? Sheesh. proof.gif

Haha... Good one. I didn't catch that.

Though, you are bending my words to make your own point...
But we all do that, so I can't be offended.

You'll note that I got to my "point" by referrencing the "Cred Sticks" of Shadowrun. They (Various Devs of Shadowrun) are calling currency "Cred". That is, as found in various flavor-text in the book(s).
hobgoblin
stick with the nuyen.gif i say nyahnyah.gif
itsd not the yen its the NEW yen, one held by the bank in orbit (on behalf of the corporate court no less), not the national bank of japan.
as for japanacops turning into a evil empire, remeber that old saying: power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutly. ie, whoever is top dog for to long will sooner or later become corrupted and "evil" (evil is after all in the eye of the beholder).

hmm, wasnt it bladerunner that talked about nuyen?
hermit
No... I never said to change the Shadowrun currency to the "Dollar".
Yes... I suggested changing it to "Credit" or "Cred".
Yes... I am an American.
Yes... I am a fan of Science Fiction.

But why would you deliberately try to offend or insult me?

Wasn't trying to. Should have inserted a third, hilarious option to make that more clear - but I was too lazy to look up that slightly impractical galactic main currency in the hitchhikers' guide. Sorry.

You'll note that I got to my "point" by referrencing the "Cred Sticks" of Shadowrun. They (Various Devs of Shadowrun) are calling currency "Cred". That is, as found in various flavor-text in the book(s).

It's in flavour texts. But does that make it nescessary to change the name of the currency used to slang terms? Do you see the Fed changing the name of the Dollar to "buck" or "greenback"? Lots of people refer to dollars as either. Does that mean "buck" is the official name?
Also, your point with cred sticks (likely a short form for "credit stick" that got adopted as the official term by overeager marketing people in the world's major banks - oh, in the Germany book it says there's a different slang term for credstick in German, so I guess canonly, "credstick" is an English-only term) is still invalid. It's a 'credit stick', which you can use to spend money, which then will be charged to your account (presumably) monthly - like with a credit card. While this opens some nice possibilities for handling the player characters' finances, it still doesn't mean currency = cre in the shadowrun universe.

I personally loathe the term "cred" for currencies. It's so unimaginative. A currency is part of the national identity of nations, the form of organisation humans prefer. Note that megacorps in shadowrun have their own currency! By sharing the same currency, you get a feeling of belonging. What would America be without the Dollar? Why did the EU countries launch the Euro with such a ruckus, and why is England struggling to not adopt the Euro as much as it is? Money is something people handle daily, it's a part of their lives. I see little reason why anyone would give that up for some unimaginative 'credit'. Plus, even the megacorps would hate it. Currency exchange is always good for business, and what would their franchise stores do if all the wage slaves could just spend their corp wage everywhere, even at (gasp) a shop owned by the competition?

I say, let's keep the Nuyen. Cred makes no sense.
lacemaker
Can people try to be at least a little more measured in their response to what is, at worst, a pretty harmless suggestion.

I'd don't particularly care one way or the other, the `yen's grown on me just fine, but since a big part of the new edition is making it more newbie friendly, surely removing one of the key elements that makes the whole setting scream "this was plotted in the eighties" isn't such a stupid idea? If you're suggesting a change in terminology for computer users, surely suggesting that "nuyen" has slipped out of favour isn't that big of a retcon?

To be clear, it's not a change I'd bother making, not least because I don't object to the 80's retro feel SR has to it, but a lot of people on other threads seem to - there are no passionate defences of the role of mullets and underpowered computers - so why the incredibly hostile reaction?
Solstice
Actually, I'm the secret Chairman of the Mullet Appreciation Foundation. Member #01 here. Care to join? In order to join you have to put this in your sig:

Honored Member #02 of the Mullet Appreciation Foundation Est. 1999
Sandoval Smith
I really loathe 'credits' in sci-fi, because it's such a horribley unimaginative cliche. Nuyen may serve the same purpose, but it's a name that has a certain amount of character to it. Any post modern setting that doesn't immediately beat the dead credit horse automatically gets a couple of points in my book.
Kagetenshi
There is nothing about the Eighties that is newbie-unfriedly. Mullets especially have a very forgiving learning curve.

~J
Sevrin
If what little we know of the plans for SR4 comes to pass then the nuyen could be in a bit of trouble. It is not such a large leap to think that the failure of the matrix could seriously jeopardize that currencies standing, and any currency moved as data. Nuyen on a credstick is data. Nuyen at your local bank is data. What happens when the matrix crashes hard enough? Nuyen gets deleted, corrupted, mis-routed… on and on are the number of possibilities. And you wouldn’t even be able to go down to your local grocery store and slot your credstick cause with the matrix in limbo the data cant be moved at all anyway. A complete “grinding to a halt” of the system as we know it.

The ramification for such happenings in a world were that currency is so taken for granted is a total loss of faith in it. A loss of faith in how it’s transported as data. People will again consider the desire for real physical currency. Perhaps to alleviate the immediate fears of it being lost again. Perhaps as a sort of back up to their data.

If the matrix is down for a minute perhaps it’s no big deal. If it’s down for a day perhaps merely an inconvenience. If it’s down for a week, month, or year? Anarchy.

But then… You be the judge of the ramifications. Currency is the grease that moves the economies of the world. Personally I think without the grease things will grind to a halt.
Kagetenshi
That needs individual systems to crash, not just the network connecting them.

~J
FlakJacket
If you want to rename it in your game then your completely free to. Personally I like nuyen. It has character compared to credits generico-money IMO.

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Mullets especially have a very forgiving learning curve.

I don't know, it can get a bit technical once you get into mullet-hawk territory. wink.gif
Deamon_Knight
How to infuriate tens of SR Fans on only 30 Altarian Dollars a Day?
hermit
Heh.

I still say I loathe credits, and don't want Dollars because that would be breaking the entire world and be very much favouritism, and that in a game that is anything but purely US based. Neither would I want to see Euros (or Cyberpunk's EuroBuck for that matter) as generic world currency, for pretty much the same reasons.

It's either sticking to the currency we all know or back to a system of many currencies, exchange rates included, which could also be fun. Actually, I'd like that best.
Critias
Right. Just as they're streamlining everything else about the system, we need to make sure they clutter up equipment purchasing (much less job payments), by mixing up currencies and conversions and whatnot.
Xavier Grimwand
QUOTE (hermit)
I still say I loathe credits, and don't want Dollars because that would be breaking the entire world and be very much favouritism...

Did you read my posts at all?...
Fortune
Let's call the new electronic currency Bitbucks.
Xavier Grimwand

Can people try to be at least a little more measured in their response to what is, at worst, a pretty harmless suggestion.

Thank you. smile.gif

If you're suggesting a change in terminology for computer users, surely suggesting that "nuyen" has slipped out of favour isn't that big of a retcon?

This was exactly my thinking before posting.
If so many things in SR are changing - Combat Rules / Magic / Tech / Terms ( names ).

Changing the default or standard currency is no longer so far-fetched.

To sum up, though. I completely understand the fans of Shadowrun on these forums wanting to protect - or preserve as much of old SR as they can. I admire that dedication to something held so dear.
hermit

I did. You do want the Credit introduced, though you also said you *use* the dollar as generic currency. Also, did you read my posts? This isn't about the dollar as such, it's about not messing with SR's currency or allowing different currencies for different regions again. UCAS (and CAS) could have dollars. Asia-Pacific might still use Nuyen. Europe uses Euro. SA uses whatever SA uses. Africa uses gold coins. Makes preparation for runs abroad much more interesting.

Right. Just as they're streamlining everything else about the system, we need to make sure they clutter up equipment purchasing (much less job payments), by mixing up currencies and conversions and whatnot.

Streamlining doesn't mean killing the varieties of different settings. Besides, if your characters are always working abroad, tit's only realistic they will need to concern themelves with currency conversion. So long as decking and rigging rules are unbloated, I guess a little more flavour in terms of money won't hurt.

If so many things in SR are changing - Combat Rules / Magic / Tech / Terms ( names ). Changing the default or standard currency is no longer so far-fetched.

Sure, but does it have to be changed to the most unimagnative name ever made up for a currency? Also, with Shadowrun's trend of balcanisation, I fail to see why after the crash, one monolithic currency must come out.
Xavier Grimwand
QUOTE (hermit)

I did. You do want the Credit introduced, though you also said you *use* the dollar as generic currency.

You didn't read my posts, then. Because I said that my fellow players called Nuyen "Dollars". They are new to SR, and so certain terms escape them.

And I'll even quote myself from the 1st page. :

The players that I've played with tend to call Nuyen ( New Yen ) "Dollars".
hermit
So you were the only one who upheld the Nuyen flag?

Anyway, my main point is that Cred = not a good idea. Dollar, Euro, or Eurobuck are neither, but that's a distant second point.
Young Freud
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Mar 29 2005, 02:01 PM)
hmm, wasnt it bladerunner that talked about nuyen?

Newyen was an invention of Gibson coined in Neuromancer.

I dislike using the rather overused credits. However, I was thinking about it yesterday that there should be some mention of the UCAS dollar in SR4. I'd keep nuyen as the global standard, but considering how much of SR centers around Seattle, a UCAS territory, there should be at least a blurb about the currency in the main book. I had even thought there should be different prices listed, one in nuyen and the other in UCAS dollars, but realize that could just add additional word count to an already large book.

I've also thought that WizKids should perhaps make the UCAS dollar not only available as a digital currency, but as a paper one as well, which would definitely seperate it from nuyen.
hermit
I dislike using the rather overused credits. However, I was thinking about it yesterday that there should be some mention of the UCAS dollar in SR4. I'd keep nuyen as the global standard, but considering how much of SR centers around Seattle, a UCAS territory, there should be at least a blurb about the currency in the main book. I had even thought there should be different prices listed, one in nuyen and the other in UCAS dollars, but realize that could just add additional word count to an already large book.

I've also thought that WizKids should perhaps make the UCAS dollar not only available as a digital currency, but as a paper one as well, which would definitely seperate it from nuyen.

Now that sounds like a more sensible idea! Besides, after SF, the whole "digital money only" thing would look a tad stupid, and I'd expect any major currency to be available digitally as well as in some hard format (needn't be paper money, can also be chips, plastic clips, clamshells ...).

Or the devs just steal blatantly from GitS SAC and introduce the nuyen.gif €$. wink.gif
Young Freud
QUOTE (hermit)
Now that sounds like a more sensible idea! Besides, after SF, the whole "digital money only" thing would look a tad stupid, and I'd expect any major currency to be available digitally as well as in some hard format (needn't be paper money, can also be chips, plastic clips, clamshells ...).

Actually, I don't think we'll move from the coin and paper based currency to some bizarre hard currency. I do think that "paper" money would be more like BOP poylmer banknote.

As for "the UCAS dollar should be in SR4 BB", this was based off my experiences last year realizing that the nuyen isn't the worldwide currency, even thou there's no mention of it in the base book. You have to pick up the sourcebooks to find that information out.
hermit
Yup, that format would make most sense, but then again, credit *cards* make more sense than credit *sticks*, do they? Ever tried to stuff your wallet with pens? Not comfortable ... and yet, it seems to have vanquished the card format in SR. Thus, I was suggesting some alternatives to bank notes (which I referred to as 'paper money', which was incorrect).

Yeah, I read that too, but it evades most people. At least, the dollar still being the dollar (and being accepted in seattle) makes bribing so much easier.
DrJest
QUOTE (hermit)
Yup, that format would make most sense, but then again, credit *cards* make more sense than credit *sticks*, do they? Ever tried to stuff your wallet with pens? Not comfortable ... and yet, it seems to have vanquished the card format in SR.

I think that's because a credstick is a lot more than just a credit card; a reprogrammable minicomputer that stores a whole bunch of data about you and has the descendent of the USB plug on the end so it can be slotted for transactions. I could see that in a pen size, or based on current tech in the size of one of those keyring USB flash drives - mine holds 256mb of data in a stick a couple of inches long and about half an inch wide, so by the time of Shadowrun I think they could easily handle the credstick necessities.
hermit
Wouldn't those be SR's infamous data chips? It's not like your USB stick (or, for that matter, mine, which appears to be slightly smaller than yours, at less than more size than a USB plug) is anything but a chip and a standardised interface ...

And in 50 years, an inductive interface, battery, and enough processing capability to handle all the stuff a credstick handles should be possible to fit into something that won't make everyone's purse thick and bulky.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (hermit)
Yup, that format would make most sense, but then again, credit *cards* make more sense than credit *sticks*, do they? Ever tried to stuff your wallet with pens?

In my opinion, wallets would have died out. What would you use them for?

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012